Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IZTOK DIAGNOSES DECLINE OF MAVS OFFENSE
(12-17-2021, 02:09 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I agree.  I think the piece I am envisioning is a PF who can play on the perimeter as well....more than a Center.   We have limited assets so we need to prioritize.  I think the center is much easier to find.    I am just not sure if there is a deal for that PF right now.    If not, we need to find a way to get better center play.   I think finding a short term solution will be available to us.    Even if that is just 15% better than what we already have.

Re-jiggering the big-man roster might be a goal. 

Simple Band-Aid?

But it seems like there is a pretty simple and obvious solution in the meantime -- deploying KP as strictly a floor-spacer when he is playing with a non-shooting big (and actually arranging the offense to REALLY space the floor, of course). That has been proven to work. 

Why aren't they doing it?

I understand that KP doesn't prefer that, but if they are really employing a sub-optimal system just to satisfy KP's druthers and try to put him into All-Star consideration, I have to question their priorities. 

I don't doubt that one of Kidd's primary mandates was to find a way to unlock KP, but at this extreme, it is operating to the detriment of Luka's ability to drive to the rim. The roster was built on the idea that Luka would drive to the rim and either score or take advantage of the defensive attention he draws to kick out to a well-spaced cast of shooters. The three-point shooting has received a lot of attention, but it seems to me that equally, if not more, important, is the undercutting of Luka's ability to get to the rim. 

It seems that the decision to cater to KP's desires to this extent is operating to the detriment of Luka's ability to be effective, and turning the offense into a clogged-up, clunky mess. 

What was the plan?

As far as why that decision is being made, I don't think it's mainly to improve KP's trade value, although it may end up having that effect. I don't think this organization would crater their offense and playoff chances for a whole season just in the hopes of getting a little more out of a trade of KP, whose trade value is probably affected much more by his inability to stay healthy than anything else. 

I think Plan A was to rehabilitate KP and try to see if a KP-centric offense could work in a system with Luka. KP evidently likes it better, but the results seem to be that now, neither KP nor Luka is doing particularly well, and the offense has fallen apart, with its former centerpiece inhibited by reins. 

For now, I am assuming that if they give the experiment the old college try, and become convinced it can't work, they will make a course alteration. If, OTOH, they are trying to choose between going all-in on either KP or Luka, I would find the choice of KP unfathomable, but it might be where they are heading.
Like Reply
Trying to pull all this together:

KP needs to have better results to (supposedly) - 1) validate the salary cap investment and 2) improve team effectiveness while 3) increasing trade value potential.

Getting KP productive means elevation to #2 status behind Luka and all the deference that goes with that. 

While KP seems to be having a better year, about the same offensively and better(?) defensively, it feels like it's coming at the expense of other contributors.

Overall team performance is about equivalent with last year in W/L, better defense but sorry offense.

So the question becomes when does KP's performance validate a big in-season trade by a contender or near-contender and how much value can the new MBT extract from the deal?
Like Reply
(12-17-2021, 03:08 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: If, OTOH, are trying to choose between going all-in or either KP or Luka, I would find the choice of KP unfathomable, but it might be where they are heading.

I have had this thought at times this season, and have been too filled with terror to allow myself to articulate it on this forum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(12-17-2021, 03:08 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: If, OTOH, are trying to choose between going all-in on either KP or Luka,
[Image: giphy.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes michaeltex's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(12-17-2021, 03:10 PM)michaeltex Wrote: Trying to pull all this together:

KP needs to have better results to (supposedly) - 1) validate the salary cap investment and 2) improve team effectiveness while 3) increasing trade value potential.

Getting KP productive means elevation to #2 status behind Luka and all the deference that goes with that. 

While KP seems to be having a better year, about the same offensively and better(?) defensively, it feels like it's coming at the expense of other contributors.

Overall team performance is about equivalent with last year in W/L, better defense but sorry offense.

So the question becomes when does KP's performance validate a big in-season trade by a contender or near-contender and how much value can the new MBT extract from the deal?
Good observations. 

On the bolded paragraph, I guess that's a question. 

Now that it is clear that KP is as healthy as he gets, I question how much incremental changes in his on-court performance really affect his trade value. The most trade-value-increasing move they are making might be limiting his time and required effort on the court, in hopes that he doesn't get hurt again, which really might crater his value. Otherwise, I don't know how including him in those horrible lineups would make him seem more attractive to other teams.

I think the Mavs might well be open to a mid-season trade, but I don't think they'll force one, if all they can salvage is crumbs. I don't really think that KP would flourish best as an add-on to a contender. It seems like, to have a chance of doing what he wants, he needs a team that is willing to build around him. But he's too expensive for a rebuilding team, or to serve as anything other than a first or second option, so I don't exactly know where the most demand for him will be. 

Another question might be, when does it get to the point that you get a coach who can run a modern, creative system suited to the talents of his players? Or, when do you get a GM who knows how to put together a roster designed to suit a particular system (as opposed to the Cuban-as-de facto-GM model)? I don't think those come up in the immediate term, and I'm not holding my breath on when/if they get addressed at all, but it seems to me that the jury is far from out on the big-picture questions.
Like Reply
(12-17-2021, 03:16 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I have had this thought at times this season, and have been too filled with terror to allow myself to articulate it on this forum.

I SO get this. I don't know how many times I have thought about expressing that terror here, but decided against, out of fear of (1) making a laughingstock of myself, or, more importantly, (2) magically borrowing trouble by even mentioning it.
[-] The following 2 users Like mavsluvr's post:
  • KillerLeft, michaeltex
Like Reply
(12-17-2021, 03:37 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: (2) magically borrowing trouble by even mentioning it.

This is the one.
Like Reply
(12-17-2021, 03:23 PM)michaeltex Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

LOL
Like Reply
(12-17-2021, 03:23 PM)michaeltex Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

How did you photo shop Dirk into this clip?
Like Reply
(12-17-2021, 02:31 PM)fifteenth Wrote: This isn't the first time I've had this thought, but this article brought it back to the front of my thoughts. If the primary goal is to "get KP going", that makes me wonder if the primary, internal goal, is to make KP tradeable.
I gave some more specific thoughts on this in one of the above posts, but overall, this particular iteration of the Mavs doesn't feel like an organization that has an overall plan, or even an overall strategy or mission. 

It's more like a clutch of people without an identity who are throwing a bunch of stuff at the wall, hoping that enough will stick to give them some idea of what their plans and goals should even be. 

It is possible I am being too harsh.
Like Reply
(12-17-2021, 04:47 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: I gave some more specific thoughts on this in one of the above posts, but overall, this particular iteration of the Mavs doesn't feel like an organization that has an overall plan, or even an overall strategy or mission. 

It's more like a clutch of people without an identity who are throwing a bunch of stuff at the wall, hoping that enough will stick to give them some idea of what their plans and goals should even be. 

It is possible I am being too harsh.

You could be right, but I think it's too early to judge. I know you're decided about the "shoe salesmen", but I'll give him more time. :-)

BTW, how long do you have to be an exec at a shoe company to advance beyond "shoe salesman "?
Like Reply
(12-17-2021, 04:53 PM)fifteenth Wrote: You could be right, but I think it's too early to judge. I know you're decided about the "shoe salesmen", but I'll give him more time. :-)

BTW, how long do you have to be an exec at a shoe company to advance beyond "shoe salesman "?

LOL. Fair enough. I'm glad someone knows what the team's identity is. If I may ask, what is it?

Nico was in the business of selling shoes, was he not? Actually, since we don't know what Nico is specifically being asked to do at the Mavs, it's hard to say how much his lack of experience (while it lasts) will matter. The reports are that his primary assignment for now is to restructure the organization to operate more like an established business and less like a start-up. His experience as an executive might be very useful for that, and it would be a worthy objective. 

My concerns about Nico's lack of experience in roster construction are really a secondary set of issues. More fearsome to me is the possibility (likelihood?) that Cuban didn't care about that because Nico's responsibilities in that area might be more or less limited to glad-handing, and the intention is for Cubes to continue as the jefe where the roster is concerned.
Like Reply
(12-17-2021, 04:53 PM)fifteenth Wrote: BTW, how long do you have to be an exec at a shoe company to advance beyond "shoe salesman "?
Being a shoe salesman has it's advantages...

[Image: RevolvingAmpleDogfish-max-1mb.gif]
Like Reply
(12-17-2021, 05:07 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: LOL. Fair enough. I'm glad someone knows what the team's identity is. If I may ask, what is it?

Nico was in the business of selling shoes, was he not? 

I have not yet been able to determine what the identity of the team is. So far, out of shape superstar and a coach that doesn't design to his roster's strengths? But I'll withhold judgement until both new GM and new coach have more time.

Honest, and not just rhetorical question here. If someone gets their start via sales, and then moves their career into the executive branch of a global company,  when do they get to be a CEO, GM, etc. rather than just a salesperson?
Like Reply
My first position in my current industry was CAD Tech. If I become CEO, which is unlikely but not impossible,  should folks still call me a CAD Tech?
Like Reply
(12-17-2021, 05:27 PM)fifteenth Wrote: My first position in my current industry was CAD Tech. If I become CEO, which is unlikely but not impossible,  should folks still call me a CAD Tech?

The more relevant question might be: should the above hypothetical situation come true and you do spend time as CEO in your industry, does that experience qualify you to run a pro basketball team? I would say "probably" in some ways, but "lol, no" in many others. 

I think that's what the moniker "shoe salesman" is trying to convey in a comedic way.
Like Reply
(12-17-2021, 05:18 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I have not yet been able to determine what the identity of the team is. So far, out of shape superstar and a coach that doesn't design to his roster's strengths? But I'll withhold judgement until both new GM and new coach have more time.

Honest, and not just rhetorical question here. If someone gets their start via sales, and then moves their career into the executive branch of a global company,  when do they get to be a CEO, GM, etc. rather than just a salesperson?
Along this line of questioning, exec shoe salesmen deal with the very same agents GM’s deal with do they not? Is that not at least enough a part of the job to be respected and given a chance?
Like Reply
(12-17-2021, 05:30 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The more relevant question might be: should the above hypothetical situation come true and you do spend time as CEO in your industry, does that experience qualify you to run a pro basketball team? I would say "probably" in some ways, but "lol, no" in many others. 

I think that's what the moniker "shoe salesman" is trying to convey in a comedic way.

Bingo!
Like Reply
While reading the always excellent Mavsluvr recap I kept seeing we need to get the perfect frontcourt partner for KP...that to me is gonna be hard to do immediately...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
Maybe KP should have the Jokic type role...or something else besides having Powell and him doing what they are currently...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
[-] The following 1 user Likes ClutchDirk's post:
  • BackToSquareOne
Like Reply