• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ranking the Mavs' non-Luka/KP players
I agree more or less with this:

1) Maxi
2) THJ
3) Seth
4) DFS
5) Brunson

You can debate the order of these 5 but these 5 to me are more important than anyone else on the roster not named KP or Luka. I think this is your core team other than THJ who is a question mark past this season.

We desperately need a legit 2-way wing similar to DFS but hopefully a notch better defensively to add to our core group. Mavs have some Maxi and KP as 2 defensive stand-outs but then its a mixed bag after that. DFS sometimes looks great, other times looks average. MKG doesn't look like a fit so far.

Mavs should benefit next year from continuity of their top 7 players or so while still having plenty of upgradable spots (6-7 guys could be swapped for better fitting parts).
Like Reply
(03-06-2020, 12:18 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote:
(12-21-2019, 01:28 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: 1) Maxi - Best overall defender in the league. Shooting 38% from 3. Should be in the starting lineup.

2) THJ - I was one of the few who thought he would be good this year. After the first couple of weeks, I knew I was wrong. Plot twist! Man gets put in the starting lineup and kills it.

3) Delon - Solid offense and defense. Hope he gets more minutes.

4) Seth - Offense coming on BIG as of late.

5) DFS - Great D. Career high % from 3.

6) Barea - A Mav legend who still has it. Can be trusted with the game on the line. Spends most of his time squeezing Mrs. Universes butt cheek on boats these days. Like I said legend.

7) Brunson - Been exposed since Luka has been out. Still a great backup PG.

8) Boban - Great situational player.

9) Ryan B - Needs more PT. Flamethrower.

10) Jackson - Terrible defense, great floater.

11) Dwight - Only good at jumping high. Maxi deserves his spot in the starting lineup and some of his minutes.

12) Lee - Old and crusty

Updated rankings

1) Maxi
2) THJ
3) Seth
4) DFS
5) Brunson
6) Delon
7) Barea
8) Boban
9) WCS
10) Lee
11) MKG
12) Jackson

I haven't had, and don't have, time to come up with a list with full commentaries, but this would be my take right now:

1) Seth - I loved him when he was with the Mavs before, so this "new JET" thing makes me quite happy. Would love it if folks would stop bagging on his defense. He isn't that bad if he doesn't get switched onto a big guy.
2) THJ - One of the year's three biggest surprises. It's the shooting.
3) Maxi - He's gone downhill over the past month or so, but his performance against Zion - love it.
4) WCS - Yes, you read that right. RC just needs to lay it down and give the man his minutes. He's already effective. Get him used to the system, and he's functionally a far-upgraded healthy Powell. Yes, I really do believe that based on what I've seen.
5) Brunson - His value is best perceived in his absence. He's definitely caught up to Wright.
6) DFS - I have to downgrade him below the two above based on his 3-point shot falling off, especially with the observation that he does that every year.
7) Wright - He has been contributing a bit more in the past few games. I was ready to stick a fork in him. In any event, even if he plays to his potential the rest of the way and in the playoffs, it's to get him back up to neutral-or-better trade value. We need Brunson more, tbh.
8) Boban - Still can't get out of that spot duty role, which is more than a little bit silly given how successful and productive he is when he does play.
9) JJB - He will definitely play a role in the playoffs.
10) Lee - Has contributed a bit lately. Still not a guy you want to ride a lot of minutes.
11) MKG - Disappointing so far, but he hasn't gotten much real burn.
12) Jackson - Playing a bit better, but I hope that that's just to raise his trade value. We need better players at the end of the bench as well as one or two upgrades in the starting lineup.
13) Cleveland - Might as well trade him to Cleveland.
14) Reaves - Might as well be Big Country Reaves.
Like Reply
(03-06-2020, 05:21 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I haven't had, and don't have, time to come up with a list with full commentaries, but this would be my take right now:

1) Seth - I loved him when he was with the Mavs before, so this "new JET" thing makes me quite happy. Would love it if folks would stop bagging on his defense. He isn't that bad if he doesn't get switched onto a big guy.
2) THJ - One of the year's three biggest surprises. It's the shooting.
3) Maxi - He's gone downhill over the past month or so, but his performance against Zion - love it.
4) WCS - Yes, you read that right. RC just needs to lay it down and give the man his minutes. He's already effective. Get him used to the system, and he's functionally a far-upgraded healthy Powell. Yes, I really do believe that based on what I've seen.
5) Brunson - His value is best perceived in his absence. He's definitely caught up to Wright.
6) DFS - I have to downgrade him below the two above based on his 3-point shot falling off, especially with the observation that he does that every year.
7) Wright - He has been contributing a bit more in the past few games. I was ready to stick a fork in him. In any event, even if he plays to his potential the rest of the way and in the playoffs, it's to get him back up to neutral-or-better trade value. We need Brunson more, tbh.
8) Boban - Still can't get out of that spot duty role, which is more than a little bit silly given how successful and productive he is when he does play.
9) JJB - He will definitely play a role in the playoffs.
10) Lee - Has contributed a bit lately. Still not a guy you want to ride a lot of minutes.
11) MKG - Disappointing so far, but he hasn't gotten much real burn.
12) Jackson - Playing a bit better, but I hope that that's just to raise his trade value. We need better players at the end of the bench as well as one or two upgrades in the starting lineup.
13) Cleveland - Might as well trade him to Cleveland.
14) Reaves - Might as well be Big Country Reaves.

Agree with almost everything. I would switch DFS with WCS. The #7 and below are guys that we should either look to trade or not resign (except the 2-way players).
Like Reply
1.  Kleber
2.  Seth
3.  Wright
4.  THJ
5.  Dwight
6.  Brunson
7.  DFS
8.  JJB
9.  WCS
10.  Boban
11.  Lee
12. JJ

I think I finally got everybody...
Like Reply
Luka Kp Seth and Maxi are always a lock for my top 4 as must keep pieces unless a free upgrade is available obviously for the latter 2 and even then I wouldn't be happy to lose either one.

Delon is one of my favorites on most nights when he gets enough burn and plays aggressive. He's been responsible for many a nights playing some excellent basketball. I just wish we could get more consistent minutes and consistent play from him. If so he's in my top 5.

THJ has been a mix of holy shit he's good on nights where he plays his role and oh yeah here he goes again hero ball cant hit a damn shot and is doing too much. More so the better half so he's been a pleasant surprise most nights.

Everyone else hasn't done enough to get a real placement rating, they are all like the 7/8th man imo. Wish we'd see more from Brunson cause its usually pleasant to see him play. JJ is usually decent when he's in. His floater has been really good. DFS is always super solid to me. Plays solid D and hits that corner bucket when needed and the occasional offensive rebound highlight with a put back when we need it. WCS not enough burn. JJ plays great when he's in so he's probably my number 7. Boban is a crowd favorite and he plays his position perfect. Great fun glue guy who comes in rarely but does great when hes in. Lee? why... 2 way players look bad when they get their 15 seconds to show off but what can we really expect.
Like Reply