Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ranking the Mavs' non-Luka/KP players
1) Maxi - Best overall defender in the league. Shooting 38% from 3. Should be in the starting lineup.

2) THJ - I was one of the few who thought he would be good this year. After the first couple of weeks, I knew I was wrong. Plot twist! Man gets put in the starting lineup and kills it.

3) Delon - Solid offense and defense. Hope he gets more minutes.

4) Seth - Offense coming on BIG as of late.

5) DFS - Great D. Career high % from 3.

6) Barea - A Mav legend who still has it. Can be trusted with the game on the line. Spends most of his time squeezing Mrs. Universes butt cheek on boats these days. Like I said legend.

7) Brunson - Been exposed since Luka has been out. Still a great backup PG.

8) Boban - Great situational player.

9) Ryan B - Needs more PT. Flamethrower.

10) Jackson - Terrible defense, great floater.

11) Dwight - Only good at jumping high. Maxi deserves his spot in the starting lineup and some of his minutes.

12) Lee - Old and crusty
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(12-21-2019, 01:28 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: 1) Maxi - Best overall defender in the league. Shooting 38% from 3. Should be in the starting lineup.

2) THJ - I was one of the few who thought he would be good this year. After the first couple of weeks, I knew I was wrong. Plot twist! Man gets put in the starting lineup and kills it.

6) Barea - A Mav legend who still has it. Can be trusted with the game on the line. Spends most of his time squeezing Mrs. Universes butt cheek on boats these days. Like I said legend.

11) Dwight - Only good at jumping high. Maxi deserves his spot in the starting lineup and some of his minutes.

12) Lee - Old and crusty

Good read. Awesome post even if I can't sign off on the order. :-)

Man, the game thread crew is so rough on Brunson and Powell! LOL
Like Reply
Every single time I read RFA I think of restricted-free-agent. 20s later my brain starts working again.
Like Reply
To me its 

Luka/KP  >Obvious 1-2 punch
THJ/Curry>For offense when on, decent size/effort defensively, would add Delon here to because I love his play style, size and chemistry with Curry but

Delon/Maxi/DFS > Energy, effort, defense, slashing and just mixing it up
JJB/Brunson/Powell> more of the above part two but more offense than defense (in theory)
Brokoff/JJ/Boban > Wish they got more time than the players in the category above them sometimes but hey cant always get what you want. Good size, lethal shooter, good floater, and size in the paint.
Like Reply
Incorporating the last four games:

1) DFS - I finally have to give him the top spot with his consistent effort and for being the player that has probably the best chemistry with Luka. Good shooting in this time period as well.
2) Wright - With the exception of the Toronto game, our most consistent contributor.
3) Kleber - That he can be this high given his shot being so off doesn't speak well to the supposed depth of this roster.
4) THJ - On and off, but the "off" of the Laker game puts him this high, if nothing else.
5) Barea - If he's that effective in providing a spark, why not play him more often? Is his heel sore? Is he out of shape?
6) Powell - Filling the stat sheet, and would have been higher on this list but for the Laker game. Still our greatest upgrade need. 
7) Brunson - Filled the stat sheet in the Toronto game - the last one without Luka - but has been pretty invisible since.
8) Curry - How the mighty have fallen. Better get his act together - the Mavs need him, especially if Brunson is traded.
9) RFA - Always provides that good little spark on offense.
10) Bobi - Carlisle deserves a lot of credit for his coaching performance this year, but the F- on his report card is in having any clue whatsoever in how to use Bobi.
11) Justin - Getting showcased for trade, failing miserably. What the hell happened to this guy? He looked quite good the first month of the year.
12) Lee - Hey, shouldn't we be showcasing this guy for a trade?
Like Reply
I forgot to do this for the past two and a half weeks... not that anyone chimes in anyway...

1) THJ. So consistent now. Making his own shot. Taking the scoring burden off Luka. Playing decent defense, largely on the basis of hard work. Three words I never, ever, would have believed I'd be saying in January back before the season started: I'm a fan. Clearly the Mavs' third best player. 
2) Maxi. It's getting to the point where it's no longer power rankings and more the longitudinal view of the season. That said, THJ is in a class of his own at the top of this list as a worthy starter, but Maxi would be right there with him - if only the Mavs started him. Best three and D big in the league. What makes him so boss on D is that if he gets switched onto a handler, he's too big to shoot over, and then he can stay with that guy on his drive, challenging and possibly blocking him. Add that to that great 3p% - que bello.
3) DFS. Continues with the solid effort and 38% 3p%. His defense is a bit overrated, but the hustle, offensive rebounds, and putbacks make him very valuable to the team.
4) Powell. What a great week from Powell. Still terrible defending in the post, so bad at threes he won't take any anymore, and double-figure rebounds lamentably makes news, but everything else about his game has been fantastic lately.
5) Bobi. Perhaps Rick is learning how to use him. 
6) Curry. Some inconsistency, but when he's on, he's on. 
7) Wright. I'm troubled by the Amick interview, but he's remained a consistent contributor. His D hasn't been as consistent as I'd like, though.
8) JJB. Getting less burn lately.
9) Brunson. Eh, I probably should have put him higher than JJB, since he's been more consistent lately in keeping the Mavs in the game when Luka's on the bench. No sense in getting too attached tho, as I believe that if the Mavs make a fairly big trade, he's the guy whom we would otherwise like to keep who is most likely to be sent out.
10) Jackson. This guy, on the other hand, won't be missed when he's gone, and he will be gone, betcha anything. Playing much better lately - and still terrible in contrast to what he looked like last year and especially in the first month of the season.
11) RFA. Get well soon. 
12) Lee. Once again, this guy's trade value will go up if we just give him a little burn. 
13) Cleveland. Meh.
14) Reeves. He executes a mean take foul.

Overall, I would say that the KP sorta-injury, gravely troubling as it is, has been good for these guys. They've had to step up, and in the last few games, they've been doing so.
Like Reply
Thanks Scott! You could throw a blanket over most veryone after Luka and KP, so tough exercise.

My list:

THJ
DFS
Powell/Maxi
Wright
Seth
Brunson
Jackson

I'll leave the be ready vets, the trade filler contract and G-leaguers off the list.

Although, the be ready vets just might have a growing role in the couple weeks leading up to the playoffs. I don't know though...3 - 10 might be looking good enough by then that the be ready vets remain be ready vets.
Like Reply
Co-sign most of your list, SFtMs. You have Bobi too high. There’s just too much he can’t do. And Jalen is too low. But it’s a great list with great rationale.

Also think it’s too soon to give up on Jackson. He’s been playing more 4 than 3 with KP out, a big ask of his frame. And the 3 ball is gonna was and wane a bit. If he’s still looking like this mid March, I’ll concede. But we should be used to Carlisle's kids surprising us by now. No, not all of em. But many.
Like Reply
So far, there’s no evidence Zinger has been the second best player, far from it in fact. THj has been the best non Luka player this season.
Like Reply
(01-19-2020, 05:58 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: So far, there’s no evidence Zinger has been the second best player, far from it in fact. THj has been the best non Luka player this season.

Let's not get carried away.
Like Reply
(01-19-2020, 05:58 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: So far, there’s no evidence Zinger has been the second best player, far from it in fact.  THj has been the best non Luka player this season.
With all due respect, WHAT???
Like Reply
(01-19-2020, 05:58 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: So far, there’s no evidence Zinger has been the second best player, far from it in fact.  THj has been the best non Luka player this season.

Not sure about THJ but there's certainly a valid argument that Powell has been the better, more impactful player.
Like Reply
(01-19-2020, 01:51 PM)Jym Wrote:

Not sure about THJ but there's certainly a valid argument that Powell has been the better, more impactful player.

This made me laugh so hard. Good one.
Like Reply
(01-19-2020, 01:51 PM)Jym Wrote:

Boban too, just look at those per 36 numbers!
Like Reply
Since people are using RPM today to lament Luka's defense...

RPM says Brunson is our second best player
Like Reply
(01-19-2020, 02:40 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Since people are using RPM today to lament Luka's defense...

JJB was a contributor in a championship. Second best player by the stats by far! Scoreboard!
Like Reply
(01-19-2020, 02:40 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Since people are using RPM today to lament Luka's defense...

If DRPM laments Luka's defense, the eye test wails in sack cloth and ashes.
Like Reply
(01-19-2020, 02:40 PM)fifteenth Wrote: RPM says Brunson is our second best player
That's crazy talk, cause he's the BEST player on our team.
Like Reply
(12-21-2019, 01:28 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: 1) Maxi - Best overall defender in the league. Shooting 38% from 3. Should be in the starting lineup.

12) Lee - Old and crusty

Updated rankings

1) Maxi
2) THJ
3) Seth
4) DFS
5) Brunson
6) Delon
7) Barea
8) Boban
9) WCS
10) Lee
11) MKG
12) Jackson
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
I think while we may all have our own rankings that change throughout the season, a fun offseason activity could be developing a board ranking of the previous season.  

Something where we sequential polls starting with, "Who was the #1 player for the Mavs this season," leaving it open for 24-48 hours, then going to #2 while taking the first player off the ballot. It would then continue on like that and given the number of players would take at least a couple of weeks to kill some time.
Like Reply