Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Fish here
(10-14-2020, 11:10 AM)fifteenth Wrote: This is true, but when I was visiting both sites I thought that LMF had much less of that kind of stuff than db.com did.

We should just ban those who cliff jump and overreact! Smile

[Image: tenor.gif]

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
(10-14-2020, 10:28 AM)fifteenth Wrote: When LMF had lots of folks, it was still at a time when the Mavs weren't popular. We all identified with "Lone Mavs Fan". It seemed like a fairly mature crowd that had a good knowledge base. The in depth Mavs talk was the majority of the talk. There wasn't nearly as much hijinks, and not as much ledge jumping, sky is falling stuff, but there were some entertaining posters. Having said that, I like hijinks :-), so maybe that's one of the reasons, other than the dwindling population over there, that I ended up with this crew.

Off topic:

Since Cuban owned db.com and was at the very least encouraging to Fish in order to drum up interest in his product (Rings was right on with that, btw), I'm assuming LMF was still thriving when the Nash/Nowitzki acquisitions happened, as I believe that was about a year before Cuban bought the team. 

How did those smart Mavs fans from LMF view that time? Were they excited about the Nelsons? Were they excited about Nash/Dirk? Did it feel then like the beginning of something special was happening? Was it anywhere near as obvious then as it is now, with Luka?
Like Reply
(10-14-2020, 11:20 AM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(10-14-2020, 10:28 AM)fifteenth Wrote: When LMF had lots of folks, it was still at a time when the Mavs weren't popular. We all identified with "Lone Mavs Fan". It seemed like a fairly mature crowd that had a good knowledge base. The in depth Mavs talk was the majority of the talk. There wasn't nearly as much hijinks, and not as much ledge jumping, sky is falling stuff, but there were some entertaining posters. Having said that, I like hijinks :-), so maybe that's one of the reasons, other than the dwindling population over there, that I ended up with this crew.

Off topic:

Since Cuban owned db.com and was at the very least encouraging to Fish in order to drum up interest in his product (Rings was right on with that, btw), I'm assuming LMF was still thriving when the Nash/Nowitzki acquisitions happened, as I believe that was about a year before Cuban bought the team. 

How did those smart Mavs fans from LMF view that time? Were they excited about the Nelsons? Were they excited about Nash/Dirk? Did it feel then like the beginning of something special was happening? Was it anywhere near as obvious then as it is now, with Luka?

First of all, Richard/Rings, like any other human, can be factually correct about information, but, it seemed impossible for Richard/Rings to take that information and have a reasonable thought based on it. Rings spammed the world with crazy toxicity. Nothing right about that, pal! BTW, I got the ball rolling which lead to Richard being banned from LMF! :-D 

Second, the LMF crew was excited about Dirk from the beginning, but there were detractors, and it wasn't nearly as obvious as it was with Luka. Nash was controversial though. Nash vs Pack was a big discussion.
Like Reply
@"fifteenth" yeah, I’m not defending Rings the conversationalist, just pointing out that in this particular tinfoil hat theory, I think he hit pretty close to the target.

Nash vs Pack was a big discussion.”

Man, that pretty much says it all, doesn’t it? Just think about how quickly DSJ turned into a total afterthought once we caught a glimpse of Luka, and he was way more exciting than Robert Pack! We’re so lucky.
Like Reply
(10-14-2020, 01:37 PM)fifteenth Wrote:

Off topic:

First of all, Richard/Rings, like any other human, can be factually correct about information, but, it seemed impossible for Richard/Rings to take that information and have a reasonable thought based on it. Rings spammed the world with crazy toxicity. Nothing right about that, pal! BTW, I got the ball rolling which lead to Richard being banned from LMF! :-D 

Second, the LMF crew was excited about Dirk from the beginning, but there were detractors, and it wasn't nearly as obvious as it was with Luka. Nash was controversial though. Nash vs Pack was a big discussion.

Richard was a major Dick.  Was glad to see him go, thanks from mavstax.
Like Reply
(10-14-2020, 04:19 PM)chaparral Wrote:

Off topic:

So Chaparral is mavstax?  Cool.
Like Reply
(10-14-2020, 05:02 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(10-14-2020, 04:19 PM)chaparral Wrote:

Off topic:

So Chaparral is mavstax?  Cool.

Yes, and I'm enjoying the history lesson on db.com and LMF.  I jointed LMF after Cuban bought the Mavs.  The DMN had an article on Cuban and stated that he returned all emails.  So I sent him one and in his reply were a few sites - LMF was one of them.  I joined as crowntax then later changed to mavstax. 

I was a long time lurker of db.com and when it switched to SI, I soon stopped reading.  Question, when did db.com start?  Anyway I was glad to see this new site start-up and joint last Nov.  I really enjoy this new site...
Like Reply
db.com birth circa 2000?
Like Reply
Honestly I started lurking db.com because I was looking for Richard. When I got there he had already burned that bridge... His big spew with LMF was the Sportsonly board going down and switching sites. When the 2nd site went down temporarily (late payment or something) he tried to start a LMMF forum or something like that. And the peace was non-existant going forward.

Sounds vaguely familiar???

How did things go??? Ron H never liked Nelson and was hyper-critical of rookie Dirk. Most of the tension revolved around the end of the 3-J's and how Nelson handled it. I was glad for Nelson because the Kidd trade saddled Dallas with Solid-Gold Green's contract so it was obvious that Zach the hack was out of his element as GM. We had many a discussion and it never made sense to me until the bias against Nelson was completely obvious. I still hate Ross Perot Jr.

In addition to Pack/Bradley there was also an Eisley signing, so Nash wasn't considered a solid starter until almost the year he became an All-Star. Running Finley in the ground every night. Nellie teaching Cuban how to circumvent the salary cap and Cuban doing it until he was triggering the need for the Luxury Tax. And then the infamous draft of 2001 where Cuban bought extra picks in the worst draft in the decade (or more).

(10-14-2020, 07:51 PM)fifteenth Wrote: db.com birth circa 2000?

I was thinking '02.
Like Reply
I posted on the LMF board in the mid-to-late '90s as (surprise!) scott. I was definitely the head of the "sky is falling" crew. There was this goofball named David (not David Lord, afaik) who trolled me incessantly and wouldn't leave me alone. In any event, I have enjoyed talking the Mavs' present and future ever since.
Like Reply
Well done Sken! Didn't Ron call Nash "lil Nash rambler "? And, man, Perot and Zach were the worst. We had real estate guys making bball decisions. Dark times.
Like Reply
(10-14-2020, 10:45 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: Nellie teaching Cuban

This says a lot about why we are what we are.
Like Reply
(10-12-2020, 07:06 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I also know that he really wanted to make something work between SI and the old DB.com format.  SI wasn't buying it and the opportunity was too great for him to pass up.  This is a diversion for us, but it is how he makes his living.  No need to beat the guy up for trying to improve his situation.  Page views are the life blood for the kind of sites he runs and from what I've seen, he's doing quite well.  Thankfully, this site is doing quite well also.  I say live and let live.

Thanks for sharing that inside information, which actually turns my view to a small degree. 

At least he seemingly really had the intention to make both sites work.

While there's no need to question the decision to go for a good opportunity, I still miss a clear statement, where he explaines this development including the consequence, that both sites will not work together.

Of course, with such a statement he would risk to loose lots of the folks instantly, but the other way around was even worse so a final statement would have been at least honest and consequentual.

Or did I miss anything?
Like Reply
Damn, i thought this was a new posting from fish lmao.

Excuse me, it's been a couple months since i posted

But nah, i haven't stepped foot at Si since we bounced from DB.com 

This is my go to for Mavs talk. I love this board.
Like Reply
One Last bash on Fish, AND I DON'T HATE HIM... I really don't. But the nail in the Kafin of the LMF Glory Days was when Fish hired Franz Kafka to write for db.com. I was excited for FK and he did a couple of articles and just disappeared??? What happened to FK is the story I want -- NO IT IS THE STORY I NEED!!!

A few of the old guard that I remember:
Ron (good call on the Lil' Nash Rambler fif) had incredible debates with G.A. (Gary A'Dornato), keven was from Florida and went mia after one of the hurricanes, Matt was from Australia and started posting when the Mavs got Chris (the best running big man in the NBA) Anstey, W.A.B. (Arkie Boy), scott, and TMav made their way here or there, David (as mentioned by scott) was nuts But THE TROLL before Richard was JackEckoff - that dude was brutal. There was a guy, PepperFletch maybe, that always signed Peace and Fried Chicken from the DMN to LMF transition.

I have been posting 25 years in some forum or other, which means I have a lot of memories and some things that are more fuzzy than accurate - but my fade away from LMF started during the '06 Finals when all of the positivity turned toxic. That is when I tried to contact Richard/Rings because he was at least entertaining while being toxic compared to some of the bandwagon folks who flooded the site when the Mavs became "popular?" and couldn't handle the Finals disaster. I'd been posting since basically the drafting of J-Kidd - who was traded during my bachelor party - and people were jumping ship on a team during the Finals (or right after). BTW Richard had some major personal trauma to his family right about the time he became Rings on db.com so I give him some grace in regards to his slip from contributor to instigator. He was one of the early users of the MBT terminology to describe the Brain-Trust

The HIGHLIGHT of the Glory days was like a 5 day draft that each member picked in 2001. I used to have the results from it posted on my Geocities site (Yahoo VACUUMS) but alas - I traded a pick to Ron for an extra pick (so my 5th for his 7 & 8) and my last pick from that was Rookie Tyson Chandler... feelin' pretty good about that deal lately.

One other honorable mention goes out to Chef Ed who I think might have posted as Reunion Rowdy at times on LMF.
Like Reply
(10-15-2020, 10:39 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: One Last bash on Fish, AND I DON'T HATE HIM... I really don't. But the nail in the Kafin of the LMF Glory Days was when Fish hired Franz Kafka to write for db.com. I was excited for FK and he did a couple of articles and just disappeared??? What happened to FK is the story I want -- NO IT IS THE STORY I NEED!!!

A few of the old guard that I remember:
Ron (good call on the Lil' Nash Rambler fif) had incredible debates with G.A. (Gary A'Dornato), keven was from Florida and went mia after one of the hurricanes, Matt was from Australia and started posting when the Mavs got Chris (the best running big man in the NBA) Anstey, W.A.B. (Arkie Boy), scott, and TMav made their way here or there, David (as mentioned by scott) was nuts But THE TROLL before Richard was JackEckoff - that dude was brutal. There was a guy, PepperFletch maybe, that always signed Peace and Fried Chicken from the DMN to LMF transition.

I have been posting 25 years in some forum or other, which means I have a lot of memories and some things that are more fuzzy than accurate - but my fade away from LMF started during the '06 Finals when all of the positivity turned toxic. That is when I tried to contact Richard/Rings because he was at least entertaining while being toxic compared to some of the bandwagon folks who flooded the site when the Mavs became "popular?" and couldn't handle the Finals disaster. I'd been posting since basically the drafting of J-Kidd - who was traded during my bachelor party - and people were jumping ship on a team during the Finals (or right after). BTW Richard had some major personal trauma to his family right about the time he became Rings on db.com so I give him some grace in regards to his slip from contributor to instigator. He was one of the early users of the MBT terminology to describe the Brain-Trust

The HIGHLIGHT of the Glory days was like a 5 day draft that each member picked in 2001. I used to have the results from it posted on my Geocities site (Yahoo VACUUMS) but alas - I traded a pick to Ron for an extra pick (so my 5th for his 7 & 8) and my last pick from that was Rookie Tyson Chandler... feelin' pretty good about that deal lately.

One other honorable mention goes out to Chef Ed who I think might have posted as Reunion Rowdy at times on LMF.

Frans signed in to the LMF site on 5/26, just double checked.  I was on line that day and thought oh wow, its has been a long time.  I cant see if he posted that day, sorry.
The Czar singed out with "Peace to all".
FYI - enjoying the history...
Like Reply
Good stuff, again, Sken! Gary A'Dornato is a great mention! I loved his game recaps. Hey...could he be....mavsluvr? :-)
Like Reply
Franz Kafka wrote for dallasbasketball.  Dodgy How long were his sentences? Wink
Like Reply
(10-15-2020, 10:39 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: A few of the old guard that I remember:
Ron (good call on the Lil' Nash Rambler fif) had incredible debates with G.A. (Gary A'Dornato), keven was from Florida and went mia after one of the hurricanes, Matt was from Australia and started posting when the Mavs got Chris (the best running big man in the NBA) Anstey, W.A.B. (Arkie Boy), scott, and TMav made their way here or there, David (as mentioned by scott) was nuts 

RIP WAB
Like Reply
(10-17-2020, 12:41 PM)cjeter24 Wrote:
(10-15-2020, 10:39 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: A few of the old guard that I remember:
Ron (good call on the Lil' Nash Rambler fif) had incredible debates with G.A. (Gary A'Dornato), keven was from Florida and went mia after one of the hurricanes, Matt was from Australia and started posting when the Mavs got Chris (the best running big man in the NBA) Anstey, W.A.B. (Arkie Boy), scott, and TMav made their way here or there, David (as mentioned by scott) was nuts 

RIP WAB

Did WAB pass?
Like Reply