Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Fish here
I had a nice visit with Magik today. He's an IT whiz like Dahl and Mak and so many others of you who want what's best for us ... and ME. (And I'm not being sarcastic. For all the frustration, I'm flattered that we're all working through this transition.)

I had a long visit with SI today about trying to make 'Community' feel like it's own separate thing, and not connected to each story. I'm finding that to be y'all's biggest gripe. (Right?)

Now, the stuff about, 'I can't post a GIF' or whatever is universal. Every system has stuff I like or you hate or whatever.

I think what Magik has come up with here is fine; since I own the logo and stuff, nobody but me can get mad about it. Smile

I'm told that direct URL here won't work in a beneficial way to what SI is trying to do with me ... But that doesn't mean this cannot exist ... or co-exist ... or be a transition through the pain .. as we get to HERE:

when we click on DallasBasketball.com (clear your browsers so it goes right!) https://mavensports.io/mavericks/ or MavsSI.com (I'm smart! I bought em both!) ... It takes you to the main news page. Just like the previous editions of DBcom for 21 years.

I'm getting them to make THIS https://mavensports.io/mavericks/news/ Function as it does now (click it) ... it's NO stories, just YOUR comments (I think) ... and I'm getting them to label that DBcom BOARDS

I'm also working with them on a FAQ.

And they are inviting MODS to a group session for training and junk, and Dahl and Mak and Magik (and Fiftheeen and Clutch??) I'd love you have you guys involved.

I appreciate y'all's patience (yes, that goes even for you impatient guys Smile .... Stick with me. My big priorities are
1) Learning the system
2) Mavs CONTENT
3) 'Community' functionality
4) Getting rich. 
5) Sharing my wealth with y'all in the form of beer.

[Image: toast-fish.jpg]

we'll get there.
Love, Fish
Like Reply
Thanks for updating us Fish.  My wish would be for this format to be integrated into your content at SI.  I understand that SI and you probably lose clicks if this is not part of the format there and sends folks to a "different" location.  Unless SI bought a rigid web page template, seems like they could have their web page designer create something very close to this set up.  My two cents.  (Tell them we are special and they must make changes for us Smile

I am willing to be patient until you get it worked out. 

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
(09-18-2019, 06:32 AM)Hypermav Wrote: Thanks for updating us Fish.  My wish would be for this format to be integrated into your content at SI.  I understand that SI and you probably lose clicks if this is not part of the format there and sends folks to a "different" location.  Unless SI bought a rigid web page template, seems like they could have their web page designer create something very close to this set up.  My two cents.  (Tell them we are special and they must make changes for us Smile

I am willing to be patient until you get it worked out. 

dude...right on
Like Reply
(09-17-2019, 06:34 PM)dbmrfish19@yahoo.com Wrote: I had a long visit with SI today about trying to make 'Community' feel like it's own separate thing, and not connected to each story. I'm finding that to be y'all's biggest gripe. (Right?)

Now, the stuff about, 'I can't post a GIF' or whatever is universal. Every system has stuff I like or you hate or whatever.

I think what Magik has come up with here is fine; since I own the logo and stuff, nobody but me can get mad about it. Smile

I'm told that direct URL here won't work in a beneficial way to what SI is trying to do with me ... But that doesn't mean this cannot exist ... or co-exist ... or be a transition through the pain

Hey Fish, thanks for taking the time to respond. 

I want to start by saying I love your work as a reporter for the Mavs and will always read your stuff as long as you are putting it out (and I think the vast majority of us feel the same). 

However, I think the importance of the user-friendly nature of the platform by which we discuss the Mavs is being undervalued. I think the "biggest gripe" (IMO and from my seat of observing and listening to others) is much bigger than being a "separate thing." The "biggest gripe" is that the basic setup of the Maven place is not user-friendly for how we as a community have done basketball discussion in the past...i.e, it is not a message board, it is something else altogether different. I believe it is so UN-user-friendly that many, many people would rather just walk away from discussing there than to try and make it work (since it is unintuitive and confusing at best when trying to track with what has been posted and how to find what has been posted and where). It is not conducive to the level of interaction and posts that your forums and boards get. I think it is conducive to low activity (and would work at low activity), but for high activity I think it is basically a complete non-starter. With a ton of activity and traffic I think it cannot function to meet the needs of what we are used to doing during peak seasons. To summarize: the high traffic/posting nature of our message board community requires a very high level of user-friendliness to be sustainable.

I for one, am willing to be somewhat patient on this, though training camp is really right around the corner and this is the most exciting Mavs season in almost a decade. I will personally squat here for discussion (as long as it exists) unless I see a massive reworking of the platform over at Maven. Of course I will go over there to always read your main content though. It is just SO much easier to track what is going on here and to me it is THAT big of a deal. 

Anyways, those are my two cents, if they are even worth that.
Like Reply
(09-17-2019, 06:34 PM)dbmrfish19@yahoo.com Wrote: I had a nice visit with Magik today. He's an IT whiz like Dahl and Mak and so many others of you who want what's best for us ... and ME. (And I'm not being sarcastic. For all the frustration, I'm flattered that we're all working through this transition.)

I had a long visit with SI today about trying to make 'Community' feel like it's own separate thing, and not connected to each story. I'm finding that to be y'all's biggest gripe. (Right?)

I'm told that direct URL here won't work in a beneficial way to what SI is trying to do with me ... But that doesn't mean this cannot exist ... or co-exist ... or be a transition through the pain .. as we get to HERE:

I'm also working with them on a FAQ.

And they are inviting MODS to a group session for training and junk, and Dahl and Mak and Magik (and Fiftheeen and Clutch??) I'd love you have you guys involved.

I appreciate y'all's patience (yes, that goes even for you impatient guys Smile .... Stick with me. My big priorities are
1) Learning the system
2) Mavs CONTENT
3) 'Community' functionality
4) Getting rich. 
5) Sharing my wealth with y'all in the form of beer.

we'll get there.
Love, Fish

Fish, that's a really cool response, thanks for that. 

I don't want to be a mod, but maybe I can contribute by communicating what the db.com peeps need and want (feel free to correct me db.com peeps).

Three things:

Ding (1)

"I had a long visit with SI today about trying to make 'Community' feel like it's own separate thing, and not connected to each story. I'm finding that to be y'all's biggest gripe. (Right?)"

That's sort of right. The BIGGEST gripe by most of the peeps is that 'Community' doesn't feel, look or operate like a message board. That involves way more than just not "feeling like it's own separate thing".

Ding (2)

Some of the things the SI platform needs to be able to do: 
The threads need to have thread titles (not just comments with no titles, and not titles created by working around the platform by double spacing inside the comment).
The threads should take up the majority of the width of the page, not be placed in a narrow little box. 
The threads should be delineated via formatting (using different shading, color, or lines to separate the threads.
The outside of the thread, when viewing the forum (all the threads), should include things like author, # of replies, date and author of last reply to go along with the thread title. 

...more items go on this list, but my next thing will take care of that...

Ding (3)

I don't think that Dahl, Mak and Magik need training from SI unless that training means that SI will teach them how to manipulate the platform and let them go to work in creating a message board using the SI platform. 

If the "work" of developing the platform will be done by SI staff, then I think Dahl, Mak, Magik, etc. could tell and show the SI staff what the end result should look like and how it should operate. 

I hope that helps, Mike, and

Have fun storming the castle!
Like Reply
(09-18-2019, 08:58 AM)Kammrath Wrote:
(09-17-2019, 06:34 PM)dbmrfish19@yahoo.com Wrote: I had a long visit with SI today about trying to make 'Community' feel like it's own separate thing, and not connected to each story. I'm finding that to be y'all's biggest gripe. (Right?)

I'm told that direct URL here won't work in a beneficial way to what SI is trying to do with me ... But that doesn't mean this cannot exist ... or co-exist ... or be a transition through the pain

Hey Fish, thanks for taking the time to respond. 

I want to start by saying I love your work as a reporter for the Mavs and will always read your stuff as long as you are putting it out (and I think the vast majority of us feel the same). 

However, I think the importance of the user-friendly nature of the platform by which we discuss the Mavs is being undervalued. I think the "biggest gripe" (IMO and from my seat of observing and listening to others) is much bigger than being a "separate thing." The "biggest gripe" is that the basic setup of the Maven place is not user-friendly for how we as a community have done basketball discussion in the past...i.e, it is not a message board, it is something else altogether different. I believe it is so UN-user-friendly that many, many people would rather just walk away from discussing there than to try and make it work (since it is unintuitive and confusing at best when trying to track with what has been posted and how to find what has been posted and where). It is not conducive to the level of interaction and posts that your forums and boards get. I think it is conducive to low activity (and would work at low activity), but for high activity I think it is basically a complete non-starter. With a ton of activity and traffic I think it cannot function to meet the needs of what we are used to doing during peak seasons. To summarize: the high traffic/posting nature of our message board community requires a very high level of user-friendliness to be sustainable.

I for one, am willing to be somewhat patient on this, though training camp is really right around the corner and this is the most exciting Mavs season in almost a decade. I will personally squat here for discussion (as long as it exists) unless I see a massive reworking of the platform over at Maven. Of course I will go over there to always read your main content though. It is just SO much easier to track what is going on here and to me it is THAT big of a deal. 

Anyways, those are my two cents, if they are even worth that.

Totally agree with you. It is quite obvious that community on the SI page is dead while we already started some discussions here and people post regulary.
Like Reply
So far everyone has pretty much hit the nail on the head from my POV. At the end of the day, a simple message board is all what is needed.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Well one thing we can do is, upload this EXACT forum to their servers so that it operates on their servers instead...

I can upload the forum database and move the files over so that it isn't starting over neither. This way they get their hits on their servers... but they will have to be content with one of us having Cpanel access so that I can upload this to the ftp and then upload the database as well, and then i can MIGRATE it instead of having to make me host it, and redirect the url

or we can redirect the url, and put a counter on this page, so that they still have access to the numbers and counter status to still get the hits for their marketing campaigns etc. 

Either way should likely appease them and make them happy. We shall see.

I spoke to Fish on the phone, and we are going to arrange a group chat with the mods and SI and Fish, so that we can work this all out. 

Hopefully this will happen soon so that we can have all these questions answered soon.
Like Reply
After careful and deep thinking I accept your offer Fish...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(09-18-2019, 11:13 PM)Magickian Wrote: Well one thing we can do is, upload this EXACT forum to their servers so that it operates on their servers instead...

I can upload the forum database and move the files over so that it isn't starting over neither. This way they get their hits on their servers... but they will have to be content with one of us having Cpanel access so that I can upload this to the ftp and then upload the database as well, and then i can MIGRATE it instead of having to make me host it, and redirect the url

or we can redirect the url, and put a counter on this page, so that they still have access to the numbers and counter status to still get the hits for their marketing campaigns etc. 

Either way should likely appease them and make them happy. We shall see.

I spoke to Fish on the phone, and we are going to arrange a group chat with the mods and SI and Fish, so that we can work this all out. 

Hopefully this will happen soon so that we can have all these questions answered soon.

That sounds too logical to work Smile
Like Reply
Fuck you, Grumpy.
Like Reply
Grumpy absolutely annihilated
"And Peja with the dagger."-balldontliez on 11/15/10 when Peja hit a 3 to put the hornets up 84-75 with 9 MIN LEFT!  Guess who won the game?  That's right, the mavericks." -msu15
Like Reply
(09-19-2019, 11:55 AM)J0n Wrote: Fuck you, Grumpy.
Is the THE J0n?

All we need is JADE back.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(09-19-2019, 03:59 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(09-19-2019, 11:55 AM)J0n Wrote: Fuck you, Grumpy.
Is the THE J0n?

All we need is JADE back.

and Grumpy, and TOP, and riddle, and Silent, and GKAR, and I'm sure I'm leaving lots out
Like Reply
Bring em all back.
Like Reply
The link to HERE got deleted at Maven. Someone let Dan and DLord know where we're at.
Like Reply
I wonder if GKAR is a Laker’s fan now lol
Like Reply
(09-19-2019, 05:02 PM)fifteenth Wrote: The link to HERE got deleted at Maven. Someone let Dan and DLord know where we're at.

What ever happened to DLord? It seems like he isn´t involved at all.
Like Reply
(09-19-2019, 05:09 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(09-19-2019, 05:02 PM)fifteenth Wrote: The link to HERE got deleted at Maven. Someone let Dan and DLord know where we're at.

He posted once at Maven when Fish moved his Cowboys stuff to Maven and posted a link at db.com. DLord just posted something, "I don't know about this". Doesn't seem like he liked the Maven format.
Like Reply
(09-19-2019, 05:09 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:

Yeah, I hope he'll get here sooner or later, too. Of course quite some other as well, but I already miss his posts...
Like Reply