Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Fish here
I have avoided all things SI since this hit and the forum never appeared.

I am old enough to have been critical of fish when he started DB.com by spamming the older sites.

I got past that and participated through a couple of the later itenerations, beginning with The End of the Rings(the thing).

It is a Shame...

I get my fix o fish on 105.3 about once a week - used to catch him every morning, but Covid jacking with the school schedule means I have to be a few minutes late to even start the 7:20 segment.
Like Reply
(10-11-2020, 10:35 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote:  I am old enough to have been critical of fish when he started DB.com by spamming the older sites.

I got past that and participated through a couple of the later itenerations, beginning with The End of the Rings(the thing).

I too had issues with Mike stemming from the LMF site.  I wrote up the exact way the "Damp Chip" played out six months before it became the over-hyped nicknamed "exclusive" it became on the Fish site.  DLord even participated in the conversation in which I posted the idea.  He and I patched things up a long time ago.  I was able to relate to his explanation.  As someone who puts out a lot of ideas, I can't always recall if/when I've read something that contributed to my "idea".  I think I've posted things a half dozen times this off-season to have Omahen come behind me and say that was his idea 2 weeks ago.  My beef with Fish was the over-promotion.  I think he got better at that over time.

Flash forward to my eventually joining the DB.com board.  Fish and I got along just fine on and off the board.  I can attest that when he says something with authority, it comes on good authority.  You have to read carefully to know when it is good authority and when it isn't.  I also know that he really wanted to make something work between SI and the old DB.com format.  SI wasn't buying it and the opportunity was too great for him to pass up.  This is a diversion for us, but it is how he makes his living.  No need to beat the guy up for trying to improve his situation.  Page views are the life blood for the kind of sites he runs and from what I've seen, he's doing quite well.  Thankfully, this site is doing quite well also.  I say live and let live.
Like Reply
I still enjoy Fish and occasionally read his stuff. I always enjoyed DLord. I am so glad we have this site. 

Let the off season begin!
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
(10-12-2020, 07:06 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(10-11-2020, 10:35 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote:  I am old enough to have been critical of fish when he started DB.com by spamming the older sites.

I too had issues with Mike stemming from the LMF site.  I wrote up the exact way the "Damp Chip" played out six months before it became the over-hyped nicknamed "exclusive" it became on the Fish site.  DLord even participated in the conversation in which I posted the idea.  He and I patched things up a long time ago.  I was able to relate to his explanation.  As someone who puts out a lot of ideas, I can't always recall if/when I've read something that contributed to my "idea".  I think I've posted things a half dozen times this off-season to have Omahen come behind me and say that was his idea 2 weeks ago.  My beef with Fish was the over-promotion.  I think he got better at that over time.

Flash forward to my eventually joining the DB.com board.  Fish and I got along just fine on and off the board.  I can attest that when he says something with authority, it comes on good authority.  You have to read carefully to know when it is good authority and when it isn't.  I also know that he really wanted to make something work between SI and the old DB.com format.  SI wasn't buying it and the opportunity was too great for him to pass up.  This is a diversion for us, but it is how he makes his living.  No need to beat the guy up for trying to improve his situation.  Page views are the life blood for the kind of sites he runs and from what I've seen, he's doing quite well.  Thankfully, this site is doing quite well also.  I say live and let live.

I agee. But most importantly, what was your name at LMF, if I may ask? I was Uwe Blab until I moved to db.com when LMF dwindled to 4 or 5 folks, and figured I should stop using a guys name as my avatar when he was still running around DFW.
Like Reply
The Damp Chip was the pinnacle of the DB.com experience. Was a great article at the time, and hey it delivered a championship! That will live in Mavs lore forever.
Like Reply
(10-12-2020, 04:01 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: The Damp Chip was the pinnacle of the DB.com experience. Was a great article at the time, and hey it delivered a championship! That will live in Mavs lore forever.

SBJ:  It was a great article and obviously I think the idea was brilliant since I had the idea six months prior to the article.  My only real objection was I thought it was over-hyped for something that was already in the public domain.  

Fifteenth:  TMavFan.  I still post there occasionally.  It is a relatively small number of posters, but they are knowledgeable folks who have been doing it a long time.  BTW, I met Uwe once upon a time when he played for the Mav’s.  A co-worker of mine at the time was his roommate in college.  We went to his apartment which looked a lot like any other 20-something’s apartment back in the day.  Other than being crazy tall, he was a pretty regular guy.  Even worked (TXN if I recall right) when he wasn’t hooping.
Like Reply
(10-12-2020, 12:03 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(10-12-2020, 07:06 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:

I agree. But most importantly, what was your name at LMF, if I may ask? I was Uwe Blab until I moved to db.com when LMF dwindled to 4 or 5 folks, and figured I should stop using a guys name as my avatar when he was still running around DFW.

Not that it matters much, but I still post on LMF.  They still have quite a few good posters w/varying views.  But it is nowhere as busy as this site.  As for DB.com I was a long time lurker and when they switched to SI I to stopped lurking.  So I was really glad to see this new site created and most of the old gang came over.

Keep up the good work and Go Mavs...
Like Reply
(10-12-2020, 05:36 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(10-12-2020, 04:01 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: The Damp Chip was the pinnacle of the DB.com experience. Was a great article at the time, and hey it delivered a championship! That will live in Mavs lore forever.

SBJ:  It was a great article and obviously I think the idea was brilliant since I had the idea six months prior to the article.  My only real objection was I thought it was over-hyped for something that was already in the public domain.  

Fifteenth:  TMavFan.  I still post there occasionally.  It is a relatively small number of posters, but they are knowledgeable folks who have been doing it a long time.  BTW, I met Uwe once upon a time when he played for the Mav’s.  A co-worker of mine at the time was his roommate in college.  We went to his apartment which looked a lot like any other 20-something’s apartment back in the day.  Other than being crazy tall, he was a pretty regular guy.  Even worked (TXN if I recall right) when he wasn’t hooping.

Apparently they are still covering it to this day https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/ho...last-dance

Oh, apparently linking to there is blocked, but 

https://www(dot)si(dot)com/nba/mavericks/news/how-michael-jordan-dust-chip-led-mavs-title-nba-the-last-dance

replace the (dot)s
"And Peja with the dagger."-balldontliez on 11/15/10 when Peja hit a 3 to put the hornets up 84-75 with 9 MIN LEFT!  Guess who won the game?  That's right, the mavericks." -msu15
Like Reply
That graphic was also amazing, it really was such a great moment.
Like Reply
TMav - going all the way back to Tyler Mavs Fan!!

That was a conversation on the old green board at Sportsonly.com .
Like Reply
(10-12-2020, 09:36 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: TMav - going all the way back to Tyler Mavs Fan!!

I had forgotten that we share the same home town (though I just moved out to the lake).  Tyler still posts both places, but he isn't from Tyler  Confused and Uwe is Fifteenth.  It is like a reunion.
Like Reply
(10-13-2020, 06:29 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(10-12-2020, 09:36 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: TMav - going all the way back to Tyler Mavs Fan!!

I had forgotten that we share the same home town (though I just moved out to the lake).  Tyler still posts both places, but he isn't from Tyler  Confused and Uwe is Fifteenth.  It is like a reunion.

TMav! Cool, man. 

I started at LMF in 1998, right after Dirk was drafted. Can't believe I've been reading Mavs message boards for 23 years!!!! At the time LMF was THE Mavs message board! Ya'll remember Ron, the old grouchy guy that liked to tell all us young pups that we didn't have a clue? And I've always wondered what happened to FranzKafka, he was my favorite read.
Like Reply
(10-13-2020, 09:33 AM)fifteenth Wrote:
(10-13-2020, 06:29 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:

TMav! Cool, man. 

I started at LMF in 1998, right after Dirk was drafted. Can't believe I've been reading Mavs message boards for 23 years!!!! At the time LMF was THE Mavs message board! Ya'll remember Ron, the old grouchy guy that liked to tell all us young pups that we didn't have a clue? And I've always wondered what happened to FranzKafka, he was my favorite read.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
So the history lesson is that at one point there was really only Patricia Bender's various Mavs stuff (encyclopedia) and the Dallas Morning News site as the message board. DMN boards were really fantastic for an old school style setting. Back in 95-6 the DMN nuked their message boards because someone posted a bomb threat in another community board (not Mavs/NBA related) and like poof they were ALL gone.

THAT was the impetus for LMF becoming "the forum" and it was Ron Haneburg that basically funneled all of the old posters trying to figure out what was happening from DMN to LMF. One of the reasons Old LMFers were radically loyal...

I think this place basically has done the same with the db.com community, and for that there will/should be some serious loyalty here.
Like Reply
No slight intended toward "us", or db.com, but man, LMF had the better Mavs talk. I ended up posting more at db.com as the 2000's rolled along because of the volume of posters. And, tbhwymp, because of the development of The Cave :-).
Like Reply
(10-14-2020, 08:43 AM)fifteenth Wrote: LMF had the better Mavs talk.

Can you elaborate? 

I wasn't on there.
Like Reply
(10-14-2020, 09:30 AM)Kammrath Wrote:
(10-14-2020, 08:43 AM)fifteenth Wrote: LMF had the better Mavs talk.

Can you elaborate? 

I wasn't on there.

When LMF had lots of folks, it was still at a time when the Mavs weren't popular. We all identified with "Lone Mavs Fan". It seemed like a fairly mature crowd that had a good knowledge base. The in depth Mavs talk was the majority of the talk. There wasn't nearly as much hijinks, and not as much ledge jumping, sky is falling stuff, but there were some entertaining posters. Having said that, I like hijinks :-), so maybe that's one of the reasons, other than the dwindling population over there, that I ended up with this crew.
Like Reply
(10-14-2020, 10:28 AM)fifteenth Wrote: not as much ledge jumping, sky is falling stuff

Yeah....this stuff is annoying and is probably more common because it is just more common in our culture. Everything in American culture is reactionary extreme. Just watch politics.
Like Reply
[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
(10-14-2020, 10:43 AM)Kammrath Wrote:
(10-14-2020, 10:28 AM)fifteenth Wrote: not as much ledge jumping, sky is falling stuff

Yeah....this stuff is annoying and is probably more common because it is just more common in our culture. Everything in American culture is reactionary extreme. Just watch politics.

This is true, but when I was visiting both sites I thought that LMF had much less of that kind of stuff than db.com did.
Like Reply