Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.17 Average
2022 NBA Draft: #37 Jaden Hardy (6' 3", 6' 9" WS) to DAL | two 2nds to SAC
(06-24-2022, 06:37 AM)Kammrath Wrote: 22-55 on layups for Jaden Hardy?

Is he possibly a WORSE finisher than Josh Green was coming out of college??

Could be some bad shot selection there as well that the coaching staff can help with.  I see him going one on two or three to the rim. The positives are that he got to the rim and had confidence to no matter how much he was guarded.  

After watching Luka the past few years I have relaxed a little bit on efficiency. There is also something to be said about being relentless. Win or lose you know Luka is not going down hiding like Tatum did. That is my frustration with Josh Green. If Hardy’s problems are being caused by over aggressiveness tht is something that can be worked upon. It is easier to work on that than have to constantly force a guy who does not want to make plays. 

Again not saying we got a steal. It is a low risk decent reward move. I like it, but there were some players who went after him that I would rather have taken a chance on if the Mavs had already had a deal in place before this pick was made.
[-] The following 2 users Like hakeemfaan's post:
  • F Gump, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 06:06 AM)Kammrath Wrote: We need to log this one away as....

@"Chicagojk" & @"SleepingHero"

VERSUS

@"dirkfansince1998" & @"Kammrath"

One of our evaluation reputations will take a big hit and one of our evaluation reputations will get a huge boost based on how this turns out.

Ha I reserve the right to change my mind in a month.   I would imagine summer league will be a bumpy ride with him.   He will need a lot of development.   It will be important not to limit his creativity, but he clearly will need to mature and find different ways to be successful.  His whole life he has had the ball in his hands.   To get on the NBA floor, he will need to show he can do the other stuff.  Than in time maybe he will have the ball back in his hands.

The Mavs clearly took a bigger upside pick.  I am sure others had different preferences.  I am glad they traded for a pick.  Dallas needs to identify and start developing guys who will replace Hardaway types, Dinwiddie types, Maxi Types, Dwight types, etc.  Not all of them, but I would guess most of those guys won't be here in 3 years.    Mavs can't pay big dollars to a ton of bench players long term.   And they can't wait until those players are gone to look to fill those roles.
Like Reply

VERSUS

One of our evaluation reputations will take a big hit and one of our evaluation reputations will get a huge boost based on how this turns out.

It’s a second round pick. The chances that he ever plays a minute in the NBA are already slim. Wouldn’t take too much from it on the “amuture scouting” front.
[-] The following 4 users Like Smitty's post:
  • DallasMaverick, DanSchwartzgan, hakeemfaan, KillerLeft
Like Reply

VERSUS

#Team98&rath
[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul Gasol's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 06:37 AM)Kammrath Wrote: 22-55 on layups for Jaden Hardy?

Is he possibly a WORSE finisher than Josh Green was coming out of college??

I don't think so.   The Josh Green finishing was really apparent when I watched his highlights.   I will need to watch Hardy more, but I think it was a combination of getting used to finishing against bigger/older players and just missing some easy looks.  I think it was a combination.    He has so much more natural feel with scoring over Green.    But Green does more things to help the current team now.    I wonder if Green plays on our summer league this year?

I am a tad surprised Hardy was listed at #2 on ESPN Rankings.   That type of player is typically not rated that high.   The 6'4 or 6'3 scoring guard.   I want to watch more of him.

I am excited.  Our summer league team should at least be interesting this year.   Last year was brutal to watch.   I was hoping for one more draftable prospect picked up but with Hardy and maybe Moses Wright those are two interesting guys to watch.
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 07:10 AM)Smitty Wrote: It’s a second round pick. The chances that he ever plays a minute in the NBA are already slim. Wouldn’t take too much from it on the “amuture scouting” front.

Everything rides on this!!! 

[Image: everything-reaction-meme.gif]

Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 07:08 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: The Mavs clearly took a bigger upside pick.  I am sure others had different preferences.  I am glad they traded for a pick.  Dallas needs to identify and start developing guys who will replace Hardaway types, Dinwiddie types, Maxi Types, Dwight types, etc.  Not all of them, but I would guess most of those guys won't be here in 3 years.    Mavs can't pay big dollars to a ton of bench players long term.   And they can't wait until those players are gone to look to fill those roles.

Agree with this.

I just think Liddell was perfect for the Maxi type role. A "big wing" who can protect the rim.
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 07:01 AM)hakeemfaan Wrote: Could be some bad shot selection there as well that the coaching staff can help with.  I see him going one on two or three to the rim. The positives are that he got to the rim and had confidence to no matter how much he was guarded.  

After watching Luka the past few years I have relaxed a little bit on efficiency. There is also something to be said about being relentless. Win or lose you know Luka is not going down hiding like Tatum did. That is my frustration with Josh Green. If Hardy’s problems are being caused by over aggressiveness tht is something that can be worked upon. It is easier to work on that than have to constantly force a guy who does not want to make plays. 

Again not saying we got a steal. It is a low risk decent reward move. I like it, but there were some players who went after him that I would rather have taken a chance on if the Mavs had already had a deal in place before this pick was made.

He took bad shots no doubt.  I also believe the spacing was really poor with that team.   So I think it was a combination of a lot of things.  His next two years of development will be really important for his future.

I think it was a consensus Dyson Daniels was the best player on the G-league team.   It did look like Hardy was the alpha of that team....for good and bad.  I look for those things.  It is not always 100% and some guys stop developing, but I always notice who is the guy other guys look to.
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 07:16 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Everything rides on this!!! 

[Image: everything-reaction-meme.gif]

Wink

What’s your grade so far when it comes to Nico. I count this as his first off-season. The pre draft trade and the draft day trade for this kid. Overall satisfied?
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 07:22 AM)Smitty Wrote: What’s your grade so far when it comes to Nico. I count this as his first off-season. The pre draft trade and the draft day trade for this kid. Overall satisfied?

He has earned my trust. I like what Nico has done overall.

I don't like the Hardy pick (I like the trade to get #37 as I think this draft has talent in that range) and would have taken Liddell every single time. But only time will tell. They are professionals, I am just a dude watching for fun.
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 07:24 AM)Kammrath Wrote: He has earned my trust. I like what Nico has done overall.

I don't like the Hardy pick (I like the trade to get #37 as I think this draft has talent in that range) and would have taken Liddell every single time. But only time will tell. They are professionals, I am just a dude watching for fun.

For sure. We won’t know anything definitive on these players for a while. The process has been good though, imo. Also, being mentioned in the Kyrie drama is what I’d call the ‘Nico factor’. I think the future is bright myself.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 07:16 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Agree with this.

I just think Liddell was perfect for the Maxi type role. A "big wing" who can protect the rim.

Liddell did what he was asked to work on.   He was not really considered a solid NBA prospect last summer and was told to go back and improve in some areas.  He did so and it was thought by most that he was a solid first round pick.   He appears to have landed in a good spot.  But that team is really deep, so I assume he will see G-league games???   

A lot of development can happen in a year or two.  Your hope is the guys you invest in continue to grow their games.   

So OKC drafted Jalen Williams and Jaylin Williams  Confused
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/all_things_mavs/stat...00928?s=21&t=nSkpKF3A2fz3-NGwS7opxw
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Hardy looks like a project to me. Maybe Kidd and the rest of the coaching staff can develop him and change some of the negative parts of his game and there are a few.  I guess we'll find out soon if he was worth taking a flyer on.
Like Reply
I feel good about the Hardy pick, not because I know anything about him, but because we got the pick by trading with Sacramento.  If Sacramento has the opportunity to draft a player, but chooses not to, then that player is destined to become a success.  It's one of the natural laws of the NBA universe.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/swishcultures_/statu...97472?s=21&t=nSkpKF3A2fz3-NGwS7opxw
[-] The following 4 users Like Smitty's post:
  • hakeemfaan, haveitall, KillerLeft, michaeltex
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 07:38 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Hardy looks like a project to me. Maybe Kidd and the rest of the coaching staff can develop him and change some of the negative parts of his game and there are a few.  I guess we'll find out soon if he was worth taking a flyer on.

They had him for workouts and by their internal rankings, as per Nico, he should have gone much higher. So clearly they are seeing something in their evaluation that does not match with a lot of others. Let’s give them the benefit of doubt as Kidd does bring a lot of years of experience to the table.
[-] The following 7 users Like hakeemfaan's post:
  • AgGiE1991, DanSchwartzgan, HoosierDaddyKid, Jmaciscool, KillerLeft, Reunion Mav, Smitty
Like Reply
There's probably something to be said for plucking a player out of the G league in the second round - especially one that improved over the season. I am assuming that there's a better monitoring of NBA readiness there than in college since you are frequently playing with better, more mature players.

Next year's #1 lottery projection is in G League now.
[-] The following 3 users Like Winter's post:
  • KillerLeft, Reunion Mav, StepBackJay
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 08:33 AM)Winter Wrote: There's probably something to be said for plucking a player out of the G league in the second round - especially one that improved over the season. I am assuming that there's a better monitoring of NBA readiness there than in college since you are frequently playing with better, more mature players.

Next year's #1 lottery projection is in G League now.

I think you have to watch the G-league with a really disciplined eye.   It is a pretty big step up and you really have to be careful with final conclusions.    Not saying you cannot make evaluations but you have to expect bumps.  A lot times you want to see how they deal with failure.   Kuminga is much bigger and a better athlete  than Hardy (Plus more highly rated) but there were similar concerns with him last year.   He was really playing for himself and it got a lot internet draft guys off of him.   Now a year later, he looks fantastic moving forward for GS.

I believe next years # 1 is the France kid.  But Scott is up there.  Next years draft is suppose to be really good and deep.
Like Reply
I really hope we look to the Memphis building route once we clear up our roster a bit.   I feel like they have a 100 roster spots.   The last two years they have drafted, picked up UDFA's and traded for some really interesting guys.    This year they brought in a tone of players.

Here is who they left with last night: Jake Laravia, David Roddy, Kennedy Chandler, Vince Williams, Kenneth Lofton (2 way).   I have no idea if they all fit.   Do they have to move on from a few younger guys?   

But I have really liked how they have invested in their youth, developed it once under their roof, and given them playing time.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • Jmaciscool, Reunion Mav
Like Reply