Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.17 Average
2022 NBA Draft: #37 Jaden Hardy (6' 3", 6' 9" WS) to DAL | two 2nds to SAC
(03-20-2022, 03:27 PM)MAVS-SLO Wrote: After Tyler Bey's experiment i would stay away from athletic forwards which only offensive threat is athleticsm.

Mark Williams and Kessler are players i would be targeting. Alongside this, interesting players are Agbaji, Branham and Baldwin.

Do players like Williams and Kessler fit the mold of a mobile big that can play in Kidd's system? I'm skeptical that Dallas would have interest in a traditional rim protector.
Like Reply
(03-20-2022, 04:24 PM)loki Wrote: Do players like Williams and Kessler fit the mold of a mobile big that can play in Kidd's system? I'm skeptical that Dallas would have interest in a traditional rim protector.

Williams is definitely mobile. Kessler less so.

Both are elite rim protectors in college, but Kessler does with good positioning and Williams with elite athleticism.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • loki
Like Reply
(03-20-2022, 04:24 PM)loki Wrote: Do players like Williams and Kessler fit the mold of a mobile big that can play in Kidd's system? I'm skeptical that Dallas would have interest in a traditional rim protector.

Both are pretty mobile.   Although both are far from finished products.  Kessler really struggled last night.  Miami really spread the floor and Kessler either couldn't make them pay from going smaller or he wasn't getting the ball from his guards.   Other teams have tried to do that this year and Kessler has been fine, so I wouldn't read to much into it.   

I have really enjoyed the play of the tournament.  Every #1 and #2 seed had a real tough game in round two.   Fun games.

This is going to be a draft where you will be able to find some steals.   It doesn't appear to have many surefire guys.    It has several older, mature players who have shown some good growth over the years and it also has young guys who have potential but had the standard up and downs this year and will need some time.   But I believe, a smart team, will be able to find interesting players.
Like Reply
I tried to catch a little bit of Kessler, Williams and Kokomo in games over the weekend.  Contemplating them raises the question as to whether we want to draft for system or talent.  In other words, are we willing to change the way we defend when a less mobile center is in the game in order to get his shot blocking and rebounding.  Or, are we more interested in switchable guys who can guard the perimeter?

I don’t know anything about E. J. Liddell, but he seems to be the only guy in our range who seems switchable and can protect the paint a little.  Does anyone who’s seen him play some have an opinion?
Like Reply
Kessler has good hands, a requirement for Luka lobs. And he looks quick for his size. If he can shoot at a decent clip from the outside, I think you can overlook his probable deficiencies guarding perimeter players for stretches. Kessler would probably not blossom as a Mav, and like any other traditional non star big, will have limited PT in the playoffs, but I'm sure for the regular season, a good coach can find a use for him. I don't think the Mavs or Kidd needs to adjust their play drastically, Kessler or any other rookie big picked by the Mavs at 20ish probably won't play a ton.  I think the Mavs upgrade their bigs thru trade, although another big in the draft won't hurt specially if their main big from the trade is a underwhelming.

Although a big looks like the required upgrade right now, if JB leaves, I'd like the Mavs to pick a PG or at least a combo guard from the draft and just get the big thru trade.
Like Reply
This article is a few months old, but it's still interesting. He categorizes the different types of rim protectors in this draft class. IMO Dallas is unlikely to take a type #1 or #2 unless they feel there is significant upside on the offensive end as well. But who knows, maybe that changes if they get crushed on the boards enough through the remainder of the year.

https://www.thestepien.com/2021/12/29/a-...rotectors/
Like Reply
^Nice to see Kagamate in the article. I actually have him higher than Mark Williams.
Like Reply
I doubt I'd use a 1st round pick on a non-shooting big man unless he's really special physically/athletically, these guys usually can be picked up on the cheap and we already have Powell/Chriss on the roster. I haven't watched much tape but these rim runners like Kessler/Williams don't get me excited.

I'd go this route if the talent level is somewhat comparable:

wing/forward > guard > big

Are there any high floor prospects in our range at wing/forward? Like a 2022 version of Saddiq Bey?
Like Reply
(03-22-2022, 09:13 AM)JamesConway912 Wrote: I doubt I'd use a 1st round pick on a non-shooting big man unless he's really special physically/athletically, these guys usually can be picked up on the cheap and we already have Powell/Chriss on the roster. I haven't watched much tape but these rim runners like Kessler/Williams don't get me excited.

I'd go this route if the talent level is somewhat comparable:

wing/forward > guard > big

Are there any high floor prospects in our range at wing/forward? Like a 2022 version of Saddiq Bey?

I have a similar view, mostly because there are no guards that excite me besides Ivey and bigs are mostly expendable/cheap if not extremely gifted.

Agbaji would be awesome, though I doubt he's there after #20.

Wendell Moore and E.J. Liddell are my next targets.

We should not let our lack of depth on bigs influence our pick.
We just paid a whole lot of money to a guy that went 9-29 (31%) on FG and 3-20 (15%) 3-pt% in both our win or go home elimination games last couple of playoffs. SMH 
Like Reply
Would love Jeremy Sochan. I think Nico/Kidd would absolutely target him if he fell to Dallas’s pick, given his defensive versatility. Perfect successor and upgrade for Maxi’s spot.
Like Reply
After watching Mark Williams play last night, I don’t see him making it to the. Mavs pick in the 20’s.
Like Reply
This guy is a bit raw but that ability to move his feet and guard at the perimeter is special.  

https://www.thestepien.com/2019/02/25/ya...protector/
Like Reply
(03-27-2022, 04:22 PM)Dirknows Wrote: After watching Mark Williams play last night, I don’t see him making it to the. Mavs pick in the 20’s.

Yeah, he has looked really good in the tournament.   We will see.

I actually want to take a closer look at the Arkansas big man, Jaylin Williams.   He impressed me in the tournament.   He isn't a great athlete so he won't block many shots, but he is a charge taker master.   He also looks like he has an excellent feel for the game and could eventually develop into a solid open shooter.   He is only a soph as well, but looks like he could have growth in his game moving forward.   If he came out, he probably is a second round pick, but someone who intrigued me.
Like Reply
I am ALL IN on EJ Liddell! If he is there (and he very well could be) then I hope that's the guy. One of the few PF prospects with 3 and D potential in that range of the draft. He had a pretty good 3-pt percentage this season (37.4% on 3.8 attempts/game) but I also look at his career FT percentage of 74.9% as a big man that shows he has decent shooting ability that can continue to translate into being a capable overall shooter in the NBA.
Like Reply
Yesterday’s Locked On Podcast had a guy whose handle is MavsDraft (don’t know if he posts here).  He provided some good overall insights and had lots of strong takes regarding players in the Mav’s range or players who would fit here regardless of draft position.  I thought it was a good listen.
Like Reply
No clue who he is, or how good he is, but David Roddy just declared for the draft. I say get him and we can resurrect the “Free Roddy(,) B (D)” chant. Focker out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • Mavs2021
Like Reply
The Athletic had their latest Mock Draft.  They have Baylor's Sochan going 9 and Mark Williams going # 12.  Kendall Brown going #21.  Brown is interesting and one I need to study more.   He has sort of lost a little luster but is real interesting in the 20's with his potential.  

He has Dallas picking EJ Liddell.  The next picks are Jovic, Blake Wesley, Walker Kessler, Patrick Baldwin, Wendell Moore Jr and Christian Koloko.
Like Reply
As standings currently sit the Mavs are picking #26.
Like Reply
(04-01-2022, 08:50 AM)Kammrath Wrote: As standings currently sit the Mavs are picking #26.
Ya, if we were in the East we’d be battling it out for the #1 spot, not fighting to keep #3. The East is still the LEast.
Like Reply
(04-01-2022, 08:42 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: He has Dallas picking EJ Liddell

Haven't done even the shallowest of dives into the class yet, but based on my first impressions, I'd be great with this.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Tyler
Like Reply