Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.17 Average
2022 NBA Draft: #37 Jaden Hardy (6' 3", 6' 9" WS) to DAL | two 2nds to SAC
Mark Williams looks like a candidate for 2024 knee surgery. Guys with legs like that always scare me.

I rather hope this front office looks for a more seasoned college player like Brunson and DFS were.
Like Reply
(03-08-2022, 05:03 PM)juanc Wrote: I had some time to watch back some games and I came up with a pre tournament big board for the Mavs. But before that some observations.

- I am super high on Jabari Smith aka Jabba the shot. I think he'll be a top10 player in the league in a few years. I don't see him as a KD type of a player, but the nearest thing to him.

- I have Keegan Murray as a top 4/5 player in this class, maybe even in front of Ivey

- For some time I had high hopes, that Tari Eason would be there when the Mavs would pick, but that ship has sailed Sad . Him and Bennedict Mathurin are in my top 10(I have Benny as high as 6). Would love if the Mavs would trade up and get any of those two.

1. Jeremy Sochan - I just love the defense that he brings. He can cover 1-5, he has great footwork on defense and that alone is worth the gamble. He can create a little off the dribble and has shown some flashes of creating his own offense, but he is a project. His shot is a bit shaky, but the mehanics seem ok, there is some potential there. He is a project, and if he somehow gets to the Mavs he'll need some time to adjust to the league. He also seems like a Raptors pick, so I think he wont last after their pick

2. Mark Williams - once again... Defense. He seems like a perfect partner to put in the PnR with Luka. A vertical spacer, has already shown he has a good feel for the PnR game, and he is Duke's most impactful defender(maybe he is even their most impactful player). He moves his feet well on defense, I can see him being a passaple, if not even good/great on switches. Also has shown flashes of passing(short roll, out of the post).Oh and the cherry on the top is his shotblocking. I love his patience, how he stays on his feet and doesn't jump on fakes

3. Christian Braun - watched a few of Kansas games becouse I wanted to see Agbaji, but at the end, I was more impressed with Braun, the guy is just a stud. Sneaky strong and nice athleticism. Good/great shooter and an underrated playmaker. But the thing I was most impressed with is his defense, he was just locking down player after player. I can see him having a Divincenzo like tournament and rising up in the draft.

That's it, since I think that one of those three guys will fall to where the Mavs pick. I also need some more time to see some Ignite games, but as of now, I like Hardy the most, but not for the Mavs. I was impressed with his scoring repertoire, it just seems like he is on a very cold streak.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  Regarding the Raptors, they traded their pick.  They picked up an early second round pick though.

Mark Williams isn't the perfect prospect, but like you I am intrigued.   The ESPN guys released their updated rankings recently and surprisingly Williams was in the 20's.   They had Kessler rated higher.  Since then Williams has put together some real nice games.   To be honest, I think I would rather use our pick for Williams than making a trade for a guy like Holmes.   Williams on a rookie deal would be interesting.  I think he would need time, but him and Powell could probably fill most of the center minutes.   Then I would look for my all in move for a PF type.    If I couldn't go all in, maybe just upgrade the PF and stay flexible.
Like Reply
I thought this guy did a real nice job on draft sleepers.  I was not familiar with any of the three guys he highlights.  I think all three are late second to undrafted guys, but interesting names to keep in mind.  They are good players....time will tell if they are NBA caliber players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftbmMlT2N6w

Hollinger had an article on sleeper prospects today and his top by was david Roddy.  I am unfamiliar with him as well.  He had a huge increase in his three this year with solid assist, block and steal numbers.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_EpdMaNLs0
Like Reply
https://nbadraft.theringer.com/?_ga=2.15...1589543019
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
Watching Walker Kessler in the first round of the NCAA tournament.  Quite impressive.  He is just dominant on defense in the college game.   He pretty much limits any shots in the paint.  And when you challenge him, he blocks you.   

It will be interesting to see where teams rank him and Mark Williams.  Both have pretty good hands.   Williams is the more prototype rim runner center while it probably isn't going to be Kessler's strong point.   He does finish pretty well inside, but he lacks some of the explosion Williams has.   Kessler also moves pretty well on the high pick and role when he picks up a guard.   

I think the Mavs should be looking closely at both guys.
Like Reply
My 3 Picks for this draft at 21:

1. Nikola Jovic
6'10" who can handle the ball and also play make. Might have a career like the Bogdanovics and Gallinari.

2. Tari Eason
Exactly the type of wing-small ball big who fits the current Mav system. Switchable, likes to play D, mobile, can hit the 3, can block shots.

3. Dyson Daniels
I like big PGs, explains why I like Luka and Spencer (although I hated the KP trade initially, SD wasn't part of my hate, it's Bertans contract)
This explains too why I want the Mavs to trade for Killian Hayes somehow (maybe a package includes him for THJ?).
If the Mavs are losing Brunson this off season, I hope the Mavs find another PG. if BPA in the draft is a guard, then why not? It's not like he will be the main PG anyway, but being 6'6" he can play as a wing.

I'm ok with Patrick Baldwin or Christian Koloko and even Kamagete in trade down scenario (meaning not at pick 21).

My picks in the last 9 years are hit or miss but I think I got the great ones right:

2020 - Jaden McDaniels (instead of Green, but Green is actually my second option, never wanted Bane in the first round).
2020 - Tyrell Terry and Tyler Bey (I would have picked them where they at, so I am in sync with the MBT on those two).
2018 - Luka (because I love big pointguards so no mistake here).
2018 - Mitchell Robinson (instead of Brunson).
2017 - Frankie N (instead of DSJ).
2015 - Cedi Osman (instead of Anderson, once Delon was pcicked I wanted the Mavs to trade down for Cedi)
2014 - Spencer D (Mavs has no pick, but again, he is a big PG who I wanted the Mavs to buy a second rounder)
2013 - Giannis (Mavs had the 13th pick, and I would have been happy with Olynyk had the Mavs picked him over Giannis at that time, instead they picked a 5'11 PG. A pick I did not understand at all).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
(03-18-2022, 11:22 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: My 3 Picks for this draft at 21:

1. Nikola Jovic
6'10" who can handle the ball and also play make. Might have a career like the Bogdanovics and Gallinari.

2. Tari Eason
Exactly the type of wing-small ball big who fits the current Mav system. Switchable, likes to play D, mobile, can hit the 3, can block shots.

3. Dyson Daniels
I like big PGs, explains why I like Luka and Spencer (although I hated the KP trade initially, SD wasn't part of my hate, it's Bertans contract)
This explains too why I want the Mavs to trade for Killian Hayes somehow (maybe a package includes him for THJ?).
If the Mavs are losing Brunson this off season, I hope the Mavs find another PG. if BPA in the draft is a guard, then why not? It's not like he will be the main PG anyway, but being 6'6" he can play as a wing.

I'm ok with Patrick Baldwin or Christian Koloko and even Kamagete in trade down scenario (meaning not at pick 21).

My picks in the last 9 years are hit or miss but I think I got the great ones right:

2020 - Jaden McDaniels (instead of Green, but Green is actually my second option, never wanted Bane in the first round).
2020 - Tyrell Terry and Tyler Bey (I would have picked them where they at, so I am in sync with the MBT on those two).
2018 - Luka (because I love big pointguards so no mistake here).
2018 - Mitchell Robinson (instead of Brunson).
2017 - Frankie N (instead of DSJ).
2015 - Cedi Osman (instead of Anderson, once Delon was pcicked I wanted the Mavs to trade down for Cedi)
2014 - Spencer D (Mavs has no pick, but again, he is a big PG who I wanted the Mavs to buy a second rounder)
2013 - Giannis (Mavs had the 13th pick, and I would have been happy with Olynyk had the Mavs picked him over Giannis at that time, instead they picked a 5'11 PG. A pick I did not understand at all).

Ha.....Here is mine...I think

2020 - Maxey
2020 - I would have picked Tyrell with one of those picks, but I also really liked Xavier Tillman.  Was not a big Bey fan
2018 - Luka as well
2018 - Jared Vanderbilt over Jalen
2017 - Dennis Smith Jr.  Oof
2016- no pick, but my second round guy was Malcolm Brogdon
2015 - Tyus Jones but I also really liked Jerian Grant who went before we picked.   Grant didn't do anything in the NBA
2014 - I don't remember...must not have paid attention that year.  I have been pretty good identifying second round steals, but no one sticks out to me that year that I highlighted. 
2013 -  Dennis Schroeder and Olynyk.    
Like Reply
(03-19-2022, 06:49 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Ha.....Here is mine...I think

ooo this is a fun exercise. Fair warning I am a sucker for bigs. Here's mine:

2020- Saddiq Bey
2020- I was expecting a guy like Bolmaro or Bane to fall to the 2nd round and they'd have been my pick. But of the guys that fell to the 2nd it was definitely Otoru... yikes.

2018- Luka. He was my number 1 guy. If it wasn't him I'd have wanted Ayton.
2018- Mitchell Robinson. Sorry Jalen.

2017- Bam Adebayo. He was by far and away my favorite guy. Lauri was a close 2nd. I was extremely happy with DSJ though.

2015- I remember really liking Sam Dekker after watching his March Madness run.

2013- I can't remember. I don't think anyone because I was drunk on the Dwight Howard to the Mavs kool-aid.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Okay 

2020 S. Bey and Pokusevski at #17, likey Tyler Bey later. Also thought Edwards was the obvious #1 choice.

2019 Bitadze and Baszley in the 1st round, Sirvydis, the Lithuanian Luka in the 2nd round... Cry

2018 Luka, JJJ, WCJ (rated him above Bagley, but don´t hate Bagley) and Bamba. Can´t remember, who I wanted in the 2nd round, but 100% not Brunson.

2017 Didn´t rate Fultz or Tatum. Liked Markkanen, wanted Monk over DSJ, but thought DSJ would be a real good pass first PG at least. Didn´t think much about Mitchell and Bam. Whoops. Liked Collins and Allen were they were picked. Also liked Giles and Ferguson. Oops. Probably would have taken a chance on Hartenstein middle of the 2nd round. He was a projected lottery pick before having Porzingis back-rays. I´d easily punt on that middle of the 2nd round.

2016 Loved Jamal Murray ever since I saw him lead Team Canada in some FIBA exhos as a teenager before he even stepped foot on a college floor. Don´t think I had much of an opinion on that draft otherwise, though I was really happy, when they took AJ Hammons in the 2nd round. Undecided

2015 Justin Anderson was my guy from day one. Worked out well. Lasted longer than most rooks on the Mavs. Big Grin

2014 ---

2013 I wanted Dario Saric, but when Donnie made him a promise, Saric pulled out. In light of recent hotel room events....nevermind. This also somewhat contradicts the Giannis draft recommendation legend, but maybe Donnie was more interested, when he saw the Greek freak up close. Okay I´ll see myself out now. Big Grin

2012 Think I liked Meyers Leonard and Henson, but they were gone anyway when the Mavs picked.

2011 Was really excited about the Rudy Ferandez trade, till he decided to never play in the NBA again. I really liked Davis Bertans for his pure shooting motion ever since I saw him play for Latvia. Of course Spurs stole him at #42.
Like Reply
Sochan looks like an NBA player.  He still needs plenty of growth to his game but he has big shoulders, long arms and just looks like he knows how to play.  I am not sure about Kendall Brown.  Like Sochan, he needs to shoot better.   He can be good as well.  But if one is going to bust, I think Brown is probably the better bet.    Both should be first rounders.

The Gonzaga-Memphis game should be interesting.   Chet and Duran.   Although, I want to see Timme.  Everything in my body says Timme is not a good pro.  He got exposed by Baylor last year in the championship game trying to guard on the perimeter.  He is also not a good three point shooter and is a 6'9 post player.  But man, is he a good college player (not a big fan of some of his on court antics though).   Does he have any chance in the pros?  He is so good with footwork inside.   In some ways, he reminds me of the story on Luka Garza last year.  I wasn't a fan all all but by the end of last year I thought the consensus had gone too far.  While limited, the kid could play.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • loki
Like Reply
I am a big doubter in Chet. Don't see how a guy with a frame like his can last in the NBA. He's less mobile than say Durant coming out of college. 

Looks like a gigantic bust to me.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(03-19-2022, 02:33 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Sochan looks like an NBA player.  He still needs plenty of growth to his game but he has big shoulders, long arms and just looks like he knows how to play.  I am not sure about Kendall Brown.  Like Sochan, he needs to shoot better.   He can be good as well.  But if one is going to bust, I think Brown is probably the better bet.    Both should be first rounders.

The Gonzaga-Memphis game should be interesting.   Chet and Duran.   Although, I want to see Timme.  Everything in my body says Timme is not a good pro.  He got exposed by Baylor last year in the championship game trying to guard on the perimeter.  He is also not a good three point shooter and is a 6'9 post player.  But man, is he a good college player (not a big fan of some of his on court antics though).   Does he have any chance in the pros?  He is so good with footwork inside.   In some ways, he reminds me of the story on Luka Garza last year.  I wasn't a fan all all but by the end of last year I thought the consensus had gone too far.  While limited, the kid could play.

Timme had a fantastic second half in a come from behind victory last night.  But even with that, I think I am even further away from him having a long NBA career.    He is just so good inside in the college game.   I don't know how we can be successful against bigger NBA players though.  We will see.  

On the other hand, Duren was in foul trouble for most of the night.  But just looking at him, he would be great playing with Luka.   He would be excellent as that big physical young player.   He moves a little like Bam.   Doesn't matter though as he is probably a top 8 pick.
Like Reply
After watching Chet vs. Duren, who has one of the most NBA ready body in college, I'm even further doubtful about the guy. 

Just can't think he'd survive.

(03-20-2022, 09:13 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: On the other hand, Duren was in foul trouble for most of the night.  But just looking at him, he would be great playing with Luka.   He would be excellent as that big physical young player.   He moves a little like Bam.   Doesn't matter though as he is probably a top 8 pick.

If Duren were to fall in the mid 20's then that means something went horribly wrong in interviews or physicals. But I agree he looks quite skilled. 

But do we care about skill at the 5? Ideally Luka just needs a guy to set very good screens and roll hard for lobs. That's all they have to do. That's why a guy like Mark Williams intrigues me so much. Even Walker Kessler.
Like Reply
(03-20-2022, 11:28 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: After watching Chet vs. Duren, who has one of the most NBA ready body in college, I'm even further doubtful about the guy. 

Just can't think he'd survive.

If Duren were to fall in the mid 20's then that means something went horribly wrong in interviews or physicals. But I agree he looks quite skilled. 

But do we care about skill at the 5? Ideally Luka just needs a guy to set very good screens and roll hard for lobs. That's all they have to do. That's why a guy like Mark Williams intrigues me so much. Even Walker Kessler.
This is the mentality I just don’t get. Because Powell does this well, that’s all we need. Why is it a bad thing to have a higher skilled player in the big role? In all honesty, Powell looks to me like a track star turned basketball player. That is another issue I have with him that I’ve realized recently. His motion and movement is not basketball fluid. Reminds me of that high jumper we had here a while ago…can’t remember his name, but Powell’s motion is a more developed “that guy”.

Get Kidd more of a basketball player, that he wants, and we start seeing why it is so important, IMO.
Like Reply
Duren has to be one of the most gifted athlets to enter the draft in the last 20 years. Last center with similar size/quickness/vertical was probably Dwight Howard. Crazy part is that he is also the youngest player in the entire draft class.
Like Reply
Ryan Hollins was the guy I was thinking of. Man it’s been a while, not recently like I said.
Like Reply
(03-19-2022, 02:33 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Sochan looks like an NBA player.  He still needs plenty of growth to his game but he has big shoulders, long arms and just looks like he knows how to play.  I am not sure about Kendall Brown.  Like Sochan, he needs to shoot better.   He can be good as well.  But if one is going to bust, I think Brown is probably the better bet.    Both should be first rounders.

I like Sochan as well. He has the exact kind of defensive versatility you need out of a forward. He's got more size than DFS so he could conceivably guard 2-5. Offense is pretty raw, but he's shown some nice spin moves and turnaround jumpers that make me think he can improve a lot on that end.
Like Reply
(03-20-2022, 02:47 PM)loki Wrote: I like Sochan as well. He has the exact kind of defensive versatility you need out of a forward. He's got more size than DFS so he could conceivably guard 2-5. Offense is pretty raw, but he's shown some nice spin moves and turnaround jumpers that make me think he can improve a lot on that end.

3-and-D without the 3.

His 59% college free-throw percentage doesn't bode well for his future NBA 3-point potential.  Even DFS managed 73% his senior year, and has turned himself into a decent NBA 3-point shooter.

Maybe a Justin Anderson starter kit?
Like Reply
After Tyler Bey's experiment i would stay away from athletic forwards which only offensive threat is athleticsm.

Mark Williams and Kessler are players i would be targeting. Alongside this, interesting players are Agbaji, Branham and Baldwin.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MAVS-SLO's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(03-20-2022, 02:58 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: 3-and-D without the 3.

His 59% college free-throw percentage doesn't bode well for his future NBA 3-point potential.  Even DFS managed 73% his senior year, and has turned himself into a decent NBA 3-point shooter.

Maybe a Justin Anderson starter kit?

DFS also shot 59% on free-throws in his freshman year. It's too early to judge someone's potential as a shooter when they're 18 years old and have some obvious mechanical flaws that could be easily corrected.
Like Reply