Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.17 Average
2022 NBA Draft: #37 Jaden Hardy (6' 3", 6' 9" WS) to DAL | two 2nds to SAC
https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/...2492772358
Like Reply
More of a second round type player, but I like how Braun moves.   Not sure how great his shot is or his defense.   Maybe a Caruso type player?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNu0yE2YeL4

This guy is probably an undrafted guy, but I love Villanova guys.  Gillepsie is not the prospect others were.  He tore his ACL late last year and he is not very quick.  But he is a smart, tough player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8OSmLq_mWk&t=242s
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
Anybody keeping tabs on Kansas guard Ochai Agbaji? He's a scoring machine and projected late first.

To me he's a dynamic scorer that can hit the 3 pretty consistently. I'd keep an eye on him especially if Mark Williams is off the board. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSoFSK_WQAk
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Žiga Samar had another good performance last weekend against Baskonia. Fuenlabrada won by 14 against much stronger team and Samar also won the duel against one of the best Euroleague defenders Jason Granger.

He did a really big improvment as the season goes on, but it will be interesting if he will declare for 2022 draft or wait another season in europe for complete ''explosion'' and probably much higher pick in 2023 draft.

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/...4770345986
Like Reply
I really have to watch Auburn.   The lost last night.  They have one of the top 3 picks on their team but Walker Kessler's numbers just jump off the screen most games.   16 points, 19 rebounds and 7 blocks last night while hitting a couple of threes.  If the shot is real, he could be Myles Turner 2.0 with better rebounding.  

https://twitter.com/Itamar_17_10/status/...3070416896
Like Reply
Who knows if we use our first round pick this year.   All I ask though, is we take it seriously.  Don't give up the pick to get off a player.  

This appears to be a weaker draft this year, but still there will be some eventual good players when we pick.  Typically, centers fall.    Dallas needs to pick the best player.   I am not sure the best player will be a center, but Walker Kessler had his second triple double of the season yesterday with 12 blocks.   I still don't have a good feel how is is going to score in the NBA or if he will be able to dominate on defense as he has in college or will he be played off the floor?

There may be two centers in Dallas range in the first: Mark Williams from Duke and Kessler from Auburn.   Williams is the more standard rim runner/defender.   Kessler is more of the rim protector.   After these two there are quite of few guys late first/second round big guys in this draft.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv0BqOu1SXI
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • soog
Like Reply
I haven't watched much this year, but as of now I am focused on a handful of guys.
Walker Kessler and Mark Williams.

Along with a bunch of young kids who have been up and down.

Kendall Brown- Athletic #12.   probably need to trade up, so would be off my list if so.  But he has struggled some this year after a really good start.   Should probably go late lottery though.   Josh Green type in a bigger package.   The guy every team is looking for in a big wing...just needs to learn to shoot.

JD Davison- Athletic #34.   Super up and down.  Playing behind upper classman.  Still averaging 4 assists but turns it over a lot.  But he is a guy who returned for his sophomore year and it was his team could really explode.  He will be in the draft though and very well around at Dallas pick

Dyson Daniels- Athletic # 14- G-league.  I really like him.

Jaden Hardy- Athletic #23- Daniels G-league teammate.   Very highly rated, but has struggled in G-league.  But we have seen prospects struggle in G-league and look good as a pro.   Has had trouble getting space, but he is billed as a scorer.   You really have to have history with his high school career to have a good evaluation on him.

Trevor Keels-  Athletic # 25-  Has also been up and down.   To me he looks like a Dillon Brooks copy.   Will need time to develop.

Next up on my list to watch is Tari Eason from LSU.  6'9 3/4 who is suppose to be a real good defender.
Like Reply
I somehow missed this thread earlier today when I was looking for it.  Glad to find a bunch of highlight videos to watch. I support @"Chicagojk" in wanting to discuss this.  Trading this pick is far from a forgone conclusion.  

I realize some may hold the sentiment that we should not be “wasting our time discussing irrelevant things”.  I will speak for myself then when I say that if I was truly that concerned about how I spent my time, I wouldn’t be spending hours on end on a Dallas Mavericks message board in the first place…

Where is all of this discussion about how we’re going to trade this pick anyway?
[-] The following 2 users Like soog's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-13-2022, 10:05 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I haven't watched much this year, but as of now I am focused on a handful of guys.
Walker Kessler and Mark Williams.

Along with a bunch of young kids who have been up and down.

Kendall Brown- Athletic #12.   probably need to trade up, so would be off my list if so.  But he has struggled some this year after a really good start.   Should probably go late lottery though.   Josh Green type in a bigger package.   The guy every team is looking for in a big wing...just needs to learn to shoot.

JD Davison- Athletic #34.   Super up and down.  Playing behind upper classman.  Still averaging 4 assists but turns it over a lot.  But he is a guy who returned for his sophomore year and it was his team could really explode.  He will be in the draft though and very well around at Dallas pick

Dyson Daniels- Athletic # 14- G-league.  I really like him.

Jaden Hardy- Athletic #23- Daniels G-league teammate.   Very highly rated, but has struggled in G-league.  But we have seen prospects struggle in G-league and look good as a pro.   Has had trouble getting space, but he is billed as a scorer.   You really have to have history with his high school career to have a good evaluation on him.

Trevor Keels-  Athletic # 25-  Has also been up and down.   To me he looks like a Dillon Brooks copy.   Will need time to develop.

Next up on my list to watch is Tari Eason from LSU.  6'9 3/4 who is suppose to be a real good defender.

Any thoughts on the kid from Baylor - Jeremy Sochan.
Like Reply
(02-14-2022, 12:06 AM)chaparral Wrote: Any thoughts on the kid from Baylor - Jeremy Sochan.

He looks skilled and good size.     I have watched very little live college basketball this year, so I am not on top as others.    I think he is viewed as a nice prospect with upside, but may be better staying for a second year in college.   He does bring a lot of things teams are looking for though.
Like Reply
If the Mavs make the pick it should be the best talent available but given the chance I would prefer a player in the 6´8 or bigger range. Big forward or center. Thankfully this years draft class is PF/C heavy. With most teams not looking for a starting big the Mavs might get lucky.

That said. Drafting a big is only the first step. Second step is player development. I guess Powell is the last young big that qualifies as a successful development project. Mavs need more patience. Players like Gobert or Capela didn´t turn into starters over night. Only played garbage time minutes in their rookie seasons.

Jazz are doing an awesome job with bigs. Most recent example is Udoka Azubuike. Only appeared in 15 games last season. Looked like he wouldn´t play this season. But after Gobert´s injury and the following losing streak with Whiteside at center he got his chance and never looked back. Jazz haven´t lost a game with him in the starting five (6-0). Including wins vs Golden State, Brooklyn and Denver.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • soog
Like Reply
(02-14-2022, 09:06 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: If the Mavs make the pick it should be the best talent available

This is the biggest change I hope to see in the drafting strategy.  I think the mavs have outsmarted themselves in the past trying to find the perfect fit (Green) or more upside in a draft and stash.  

I’ve shifted some in how I think of the draft over the years. I used to think of it as a way to land your next big star or fill that gaping hole in the team’s skill set.  Now I think it is a key mechanism to managing the salary cap.  The only way to effectively manage the cap is having a talent pipeline to manage your turnover.  

If you have guys who are talented enough to contribute on the court, eventually you will need to pay them or lose them.  So you are eventually deciding if you want to re-sign guys like DFS or Brunson.  By prioritizing the draft and specifically prioritizing “best player available” you are streamlining the pipeline for talent to make sure you always have people in the wings to give you that “flexibility” the MBT keeps talking about so much. You then don’t feel like you HAVE to re-sign these guys.  You know you have a cheaper option ready to take the minutes (even if at a slightly lower level of production) and then suddenly guys like DFS and Brunson become trade assets rather than flight risks.

Pick the best guy available even if he is DFS 2.0, or a JB clone.
[-] The following 1 user Likes soog's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(12-30-2021, 10:37 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://twitter.com/DXContent/status/147...9461071882

No idea where he is projected but the way this guy passes is memorizing.
Like Reply
Currently watching some highlights/breakdown on guys.

So far my big board is only filled with 4  guys.

1) Mark Williams is by far and away my preferred guy. He looks like he can move his feet well and can catch a lob at an elite level. Really want this dude. He's risen in some mocks so far but he's been slotted anywhere from 15-23. 

2) Ochai Agbaji is a guy I think might end up being Desmond Bane 2.0. He's a lethal scorer and shooter. 6'6 SG that's a senior from Kansas. He'll be 22 which I think is a plus for a team trying to take the next leap. I'm basically at the point where if we can't get Mark Williams, I really would like Agbaji instead. 

3) MarJon Beauchamp is another 6'6 shooting guard but plays bigger than his size. Almost looks like a SF out there with his length. He's a hyper athletic shooting guard that's actually playing pretty decent in the G-League. I'd much rather prefer both of the guys listed above, but if they're gone then Beauchamp seems like another guy that can play backup to THJ/DFS. Only issue I have is his 3pt shot. It's quite terrible. Might be the biggest red flag. 

4) Walker Kessler is putting up stats that are nutty. Averaging nearly 5 blocks a game. All of my alarm bells are going off telling me I should stay away from a center that isn't necessarily athletic nor can move his feet very well. BUT he does have great positioning and awareness. Those things might help him overcome any athletic deficiencies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikJQVIXnusE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSoFSK_WQAk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT1KjP-6bzA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Szs5B9g58k
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Sochan was mentioned previously.  Baylor has two wings in him and Kendall Brown who both have intriguing potential.  Still need a lot of development.  Sochan has shown some really intriguing ball handling and creating

https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/...0269086722

Duke's Mark Williams had his best offensive game of the season this weekend.   Williams looks the part and has moments when he looks like a future really good pro.   But he is still a guy who disappears at times.    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx6zQUvY4IQ

Malaki Branham is a late comer.   Over the past couple of weeks the freshman from OSU has had a few big games.   We will see if this continues.  If it does, he should be on some draft boards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSvPNmhG0rk
Like Reply
Just watched Baylor vs. Texas because I was curious to see Sochan in action. He left me largely disappointed, though my lasting takeaway was I can see the defensive potential.

He was basically a ghost on offense and forced some shots. He had some eyebrow raising passes. But on defense? Wow the guy can move his feet. He was active calling out rotations. Stayed in front of guards. Had a couple of eye popping blocks too.

I don't think he's worth a FRP. But if he falls to say 35? I hope the Mavs buy a pick then and grab him.
Like Reply
(03-01-2022, 02:27 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Just watched Baylor vs. Texas because I was curious to see Sochan in action. He left me largely disappointed, though my lasting takeaway was I can see the defensive potential.

He was basically a ghost on offense and forced some shots. He had some eyebrow raising passes. But on defense? Wow the guy can move his feet. He was active calling out rotations. Stayed in front of guards. Had a couple of eye popping blocks too.

I don't think he's worth a FRP. But if he falls to say 35? I hope the Mavs buy a pick then and grab him.

Yes, most of the young guys from the late lottery to the 20's are severe projections.   They have games when they look really good followed by games where they don't do anything.   I think for these guys you have to take a long view approach.   You are betting that the guys who have played with experienced teams this year would make a big jump if they stayed in college for their soph years.   For instance, Alabama has a guy JD Davison who has been really up and down coming off the bench.   I am intrigued with him but he is a ways off.   If you are drafting a Freshman in the teens and 20's, they will not help next year.   You are investing them for 2-3 years down the road.  

I really like listening to the ESPN guys because they have been going to camps and watching most of these kids for 3 plus years.   That is really valuable insight seeing how these kids have grown and developed.
Like Reply
2 top-5 high school recruits might be there when the Mavs pick, Jaden Hardy and Patrick Baldwin. Wouldn’t be opposed to playing the long game with draft picks as the whole rotation will be back next season pending trades.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/...6562678786
Like Reply
I had some time to watch back some games and I came up with a pre tournament big board for the Mavs. But before that some observations.

- I am super high on Jabari Smith aka Jabba the shot. I think he'll be a top10 player in the league in a few years. I don't see him as a KD type of a player, but the nearest thing to him.

- I have Keegan Murray as a top 4/5 player in this class, maybe even in front of Ivey

- For some time I had high hopes, that Tari Eason would be there when the Mavs would pick, but that ship has sailed Sad . Him and Bennedict Mathurin are in my top 10(I have Benny as high as 6). Would love if the Mavs would trade up and get any of those two.

1. Jeremy Sochan - I just love the defense that he brings. He can cover 1-5, he has great footwork on defense and that alone is worth the gamble. He can create a little off the dribble and has shown some flashes of creating his own offense, but he is a project. His shot is a bit shaky, but the mehanics seem ok, there is some potential there. He is a project, and if he somehow gets to the Mavs he'll need some time to adjust to the league. He also seems like a Raptors pick, so I think he wont last after their pick

2. Mark Williams - once again... Defense. He seems like a perfect partner to put in the PnR with Luka. A vertical spacer, has already shown he has a good feel for the PnR game, and he is Duke's most impactful defender(maybe he is even their most impactful player). He moves his feet well on defense, I can see him being a passaple, if not even good/great on switches. Also has shown flashes of passing(short roll, out of the post).Oh and the cherry on the top is his shotblocking. I love his patience, how he stays on his feet and doesn't jump on fakes

3. Christian Braun - watched a few of Kansas games becouse I wanted to see Agbaji, but at the end, I was more impressed with Braun, the guy is just a stud. Sneaky strong and nice athleticism. Good/great shooter and an underrated playmaker. But the thing I was most impressed with is his defense, he was just locking down player after player. I can see him having a Divincenzo like tournament and rising up in the draft.

That's it, since I think that one of those three guys will fall to where the Mavs pick. I also need some more time to see some Ignite games, but as of now, I like Hardy the most, but not for the Mavs. I was impressed with his scoring repertoire, it just seems like he is on a very cold streak.
Like Reply