Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.17 Average
2022 NBA Draft: #37 Jaden Hardy (6' 3", 6' 9" WS) to DAL | two 2nds to SAC
That fat kid is like the second coming of Zach Randolph. His game is just post up after post up though. Hard to see him succeed anywhere in today's run-n-gun style. Probably makes him more like a late 2nd round pick than a first. As an undrafted FA I'd be interested.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(12-01-2021, 10:28 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: That fat kid is like the second coming of Zach Randolph. His game is just post up after post up though. Hard to see him succeed anywhere in today's run-n-gun style. Probably makes him more like a late 2nd round pick than a first. As an undrafted FA I'd be interested.

To borrow a Cuban'ism, sometimes you need to zig while the league zags.  No idea if he can do that in the NBA, but he's exactly the type of player I'd like to run a second team offense through.  I wanted that with Randle (before he went supernova in NY) and Freedom (Kanter).
Like Reply
Guys, this appears to be a pretty weak draft.  Next year (23) is looking to be a star level draft with really nice depth...figures.

The Mavs probably won't keep their pick if we go but I have been spending some time looking at some of these prospects.  Most are so young that it is tough to have a strong opinion either way right now.   Two guys who intrigue me outside the top 10 who I want to learn more about is Dyson Daniels and Yannick Nzosa.  

Daniels is form Austraila and he is playing with the ignite team.   last year the Ignite had higher rated prospects.   Just by the highlights though he looks like a Kyle Anderson player with maybe more athleticism.   From the highlights he looks to have a good feel for the game.    I am not familar with him, so I want to watch him closer as their season goes on.

Yannick is a little more tricky.   He is really raw on offense.   If you draft him it is more of a projection.   I have read reports that he is like Giannis and always plays hard.   Right now is main plus is defense.   He is really skinny and looks to have minimal offense but he is only 18.   He is a guy who you know will take some time and you are drafting him for what he may be at 22-23.  That may be a tough sell for the win now mavs, but you need to be able to find who the best players will be in 2-3 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AArnMgoU8lo

highlights are from last season as a 17 year old

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2a3w6NGdkc
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
This year, since there's a decent chance we end up in the lottery, I'll do an extensive draft study near the draft. Right now, the names that pop out in our range (12-20, Murray, Banchero, Smith, Hardy, Brown and Ivey won't be there) are:

Guard (PG/SG): TyTy Washington (Kentucky).

Wing (SG/SF): Terrence Shannon Jr. (Texas Tech), Wendell Moore (Duke), Ochai Agbaje (Kansas).

Forward (SF/PF): Julian Champagnie (St. John's), Nikola Jovic (Mega Bemax).

Big (PF/C): Mark Williams (Duke).

Very weak guard draft besides Ivey/Hardy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes aguiar95's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
Don´t think there is much of a chance Mark Williams will be a bust. He´d probably be our 2nd best center right away, if they actusally allowed him to play. Also like the look of Nikola Jovic and TyTy Washington. We´ll probably draft AJ Griffin, cause of his dad. Classic Mavs move. Big Grin
Like Reply
Ok back with some fringe prospects.  Although how this season is playing out, I may want to start looking at lottery prospects.

1)  Oscar Tsheibwe- Kentucky.  Junior transfer.  He is maybe a little undersized at 6'9 and I am not sure how skilled he is.  But very rarely do you see a guy at a premier college program average 16 points and 15 rebounds and get no draft traction.  It will be interesting to see if he keeps up the production.  Started the season off a 17 point, 20 rebound game against Duke.

2) EJ Liddell- Ohio State Junior.  I have not watched him.  He is a PF listed at 6'7 but is blocking 3 shots a game.   Maybe similar game as Eugene with the Legends?   Looks to be a solid three point shooter.   

3) Taran Armstrong.   I have no idea what level completion Cal Baptist plays against.  But Austrailian Point Guard Taran Armstrong is averaging 12 points, 8 rebounds and 9 assists per game.  Again, not sure of the competition but his highlights are maybe a pinch of Steve Nash/Ricky Rubio?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omqAN2kidUw
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
This comment from Schmitz stuck out to me about non passing big man.   Something to consider when looking at big man in the draft.  Also sort of sad that most of our bigs would be consider below average in passing the ball.

https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/...2603110405
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
I was checking out some Arizona highlights.  They have a guy who is slotted in the lottery in SG Mathurin.   I have not watched Arizona play, but they have two other guys who deserve some attention.

Christian Koloko was a little used player his first two years at Arizona.  Now he looks like a Daniel Gafford type player.  7'1 with a 7'6 wingspan.    I have not seen him mocked in the first round, but if his strong play continues I would guess he is a first round consideration player.  
https://twitter.com/DXContent/status/146...1937496066

His front court mate, Azuolas Tubelis, is a sophmore and had a pretty good freshman season.  He is a 6'11 skilled player.  Last year I liked a similar type of player from seton hall names Sandro Mamukelashvili.   Not sure if that comparison works, but he looks to have a nice skill.   Defensive may be a determination if he sticks as a pro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn4sWVkXn5g

Lastly, if you are looking for a guy off upside, JD Davison from Alabama could fit the bill.  He is coming off the bench for Alabama and has had some good and bad moments.  Although, if you look 3 years from now, he could be really exciting.  He is 6'3 minus the afro and I have no idea what position he plays.  But he is a strong physical player who jumps out of the gym.  Here are his high school highlights from last year. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_vnSHl0ook&t=361s
Like Reply
Mavs are currently slated for the #11 pick.....only one win ahead of the the #7 spot......
Like Reply
[Image: Screenshot-2021-12-19-9.49.07-PM.png]
Like Reply
Let the Mavs have lottery luck for the 1st time in franchise history and get Jabari Smith Jr. The kid is going to be a stud. I am also high on Jaden Ivey. Those 2 are in my tier 1 of this draft.

Out of the Mid 1st round guys, I think that Bennedict Mathurin is the player I like the most. 
Caleb Houstan is also a guy I like. 6'8 great footwork on defense, nice looking shot.
Also keep an eye on Tari Eason. And Koloko would be a really nice get with our second rounder.
Like Reply
(12-20-2021, 12:01 AM)juanc Wrote: Let the Mavs have lottery luck for the 1st time in franchise history and get Jabari Smith Jr. The kid is going to be a stud. I am also high on Jaden Ivey. Those 2 are in my tier 1 of this draft.

Out of the Mid 1st round guys, I think that Bennedict Mathurin is the player I like the most. 
Caleb Houstan is also a guy I like. 6'8 great footwork on defense, nice looking shot.
Also keep an eye on Tari Eason. And Koloko would be a really nice get with our second rounder.

I am not crazy about this draft.  It appears relatively weak up top.  I was surprised that Hollinger had an article last week saying right now he has Jabari Smith #1.   That was the first time I saw that.  It was billed as a top 2.   In a perfect world with a healthy KP, Smith looks like a real nice fit at PF here.   Maybe Bancharo too but he looks like a scorer first.   

Houston has struggled, I believe.   There are few freshman like this.   Peyton Watson is another one who has struggled with a deep veteran UCLA team.  It will be interesting to watch these guys as the year goes on.   One Freshman who has jumped up is Baylor's Kendall Brown.  I was thinking he may be too high from where we wind up, but that could be changing with our recent play.
Like Reply
(12-20-2021, 09:53 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I am not crazy about this draft.  It appears relatively weak up top.  I was surprised that Hollinger had an article last week saying right now he has Jabari Smith #1.   That was the first time I saw that.  It was billed as a top 2.   In a perfect world with a healthy KP, Smith looks like a real nice fit at PF here.   Maybe Bancharo too but he looks like a scorer first.   

Houston has struggled, I believe.   There are few freshman like this.   Peyton Watson is another one who has struggled with a deep veteran UCLA team.  It will be interesting to watch these guys as the year goes on.   One Freshman who has jumped up is Baylor's Kendall Brown.  I was thinking he may be too high from where we wind up, but that could be changing with our recent play.

I see the Mavs ending up with a pick in the 10-20 range, that's why I didn't include Brown. I have some concerns with his overall skill(ballhandling and shooting),but he is an athletic freak, he also seems like a small basketball player who doesn't make dumb mistakes(he plays within himself and that is important).

Bennedict Mathurin is probably my favourite Mavs target. He really reminds me of Mitchell, or maybe a more athletic Norman Powell, he can score of the drible, he can score in c&s situations,... Also a great athlete, good rebounder for his position, who can improve on defense. If he really is 6'6 that would be huge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26OLJ7ihMwc

The center who I like the most is Mark Williams out of Duke. A Clint Capella like player(7'0 with a 7'6 wingspan), he can switch, he can guard the paint,... He was great on defense the few games I have watched.
[-] The following 1 user Likes juanc's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
I posted him earlier, but Dyson Daniels is really intriguing.  The Australian who is playing with the Ignite team is someone who I want to watch.  I have not seen him play yet.   He is a big guard who looks skilled.  Has a nice touch in the lane and can handle the ball.    I believe he has been solid on defense but unsure of his shot.   Could be a nice pairing with Luka.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kLDVLB67Ok
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
Just a shout out to @"Chicagojk" for all the draft content and evals! Thanks man!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
Just talking about raw athleticism, size+wingspan. Is Jalen Duren the best big men prospect since Dwight Howard? Some had the size and strength. Others had the mobility, quickness and leaping ability. Duren has it all.
Like Reply
(12-21-2021, 10:16 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Just a shout out to @"Chicagojk" for all the draft content and evals! Thanks man!

Thank you.   Mavs bypassing the draft for the most part have made caring about prospects difficult.  And to be honest, most of my knowledge these days is from listening to the draft analysts and then doing quick Youtube clips.   One thing I am amazed by every year is how good most of these prospects are and that only a few of them will find success in the NBA.   It is really tough to make it in the NBA.
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
(12-21-2021, 10:36 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Just talking about raw athleticism, size+wingspan. Is Jalen Duren the best big men prospect since Dwight Howard? Some had the size and strength. Others had the mobility, quickness and leaping ability. Duren has it all.

Seems to have nice shooting form and touch too.  His athleticism is eyepopping.
Like Reply
There is a Slovenian, who I think might go in the 2nd round(if he keeps up his play then he most definetly should be drafted). His name is Gregor Glas, and he has some similarities with Bogdan Bogdanović.

He plays for Partizan(Aba league and Eurocup) under the legendary and probably best euro coach Željko Obradović. When he signed with Partizan, I thought he will be an end of the bench guy, but he really took of and had some good/great games, the last 1 vs Lokomotiv Kuban(One of the 2 favourites to win Eurocup). Here are the highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5zvUqfvzhU

He always was a good/great shooter/scorer, but he has really made a huge improvement in the last 2 years. He has also shown some playmaking ability in the PnR and in the drive and kick game. Also an OK athlete.
He is a draft and stash candidate, but I think he is worth a 2nd rounder.
[-] The following 1 user Likes juanc's post:
  • MAVS-SLO
Like Reply
Glas really exceed my expectations before this season. Moving from domestic league to a club who is ''always contender'' as a foreigner and having (probably) highest paid player on his position in Kevin Punter and he is getting more and more minutes by every week.

Also, he is adding much more versality in his game as the season goes on. Before the season i think he was more similar to Bojan Bogdanovic, but as the season goes on and he is adding much more versality (ballhandling and creation) and he is getting much more comparisons to Bogdan Bogdanovic.

He is also getting a lot of praise of his basketball iq and his shoot selection/decision making. Last week was also best scorer in his team when his biggest weapon (3 point shooting) wasn't falling. And a lot of Partizan fans are saying that he deserves much more minutes than some their domestic players which is pretty uncommon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p59QG9-l8B4

Also that was probably the first time in his career, where he really need to fight for every minute on the court.

But, i wouldn't be surprised if he stays another season in europe and gets on 2023 draft.

Another Slovenian who really exceed my expectations this season is Žiga Samar. Point guard of Fuenlabrada. He was in Real Madrid (like Luka) but last year moved to Fuenlabrada to get more minutes in first team.

Also started season with some DNP and but in last month he establish in the starting lineup of Fuenlabrada. And Fuenlabrada also started winning games after Samar establish himself in starting lineup.

Good size for the NBA, highest basketball IQ in their team, can shoot for 3 or midrange, but it's also known that he will always seek the for the best solution. He also assisted 2 week ago for winning shoot against Valencia.

Very good on ball defender and he is getting much more and more involed in offensive games. Also he have very high percentage of shooting.

It's interesting that his number can equaly growing (points, rebounds, assists).

One of his best games this year against Unicaja:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOBAAR7ar6w

But, the same as i said for Glas, i think both of them could/will be on 2023 draft. 

Also yesterday in euroleague, 17 year old kid named Urban Klavžar (2004, pg) get his first minutes in impressive win against CSKA (Real was missing half of team beacuse of covid). And young Slovenian wearing number 7 (same as Luka in Real) ended his first game with 10 points and 1 rebound in his debut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqRWk-tLQlc

PS: NCAA fans:

How strong Iowa ST is? There is another Slovenian, Aljaž Kunc (99, PF-SF) getting solid numbers in their team. High 3 point shoot percentage and i heard that he have really high basketball iq.

I didn't hear his name on the draft stocks, but if someone is watching, can he wrotte something about comparisons, ceiling, weaknesess...
[-] The following 1 user Likes MAVS-SLO's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply