Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.17 Average
2022 NBA Draft: #37 Jaden Hardy (6' 3", 6' 9" WS) to DAL | two 2nds to SAC
I think OKC should be motivated to consolidate some picks. They have 4 in this draft already, they have 6 next year, then another 6 in the draft after that.  There are only so many roster spots! Plus what NBA team is going anywhere with a bunch of 20 year olds leading the helm? 

Given that, I think OKC might be a unique trade partner as they should be valuing some veteran presence. 

I wonder if they would be interested in a deal that involves THJ+Brown+26 for 12+34+Derrick Favors. 

OKC moves back but stays in the first round and gets 2 vets while moving off some money.

My entire motivation to move up (especially to 12) is because I really value Mark Williams. He's THE guy for me. I view him as the perfect center for this team and he'll be cost controlled for 4 years. I don't see him getting past Charlotte at 13, so 12 would be the perfect spot. 

If Mark Williams isn't available, then I'd be interested in Agbaji. If both of those guys are out, I'm totally fine trading out of this draft. Not many difference makers to me.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(05-30-2022, 01:55 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think OKC should be motivated to consolidate some picks. They have 4 in this draft already, they have 6 next year, then another 6 in the draft after that.  There are only so many roster spots! Plus what NBA team is going anywhere with a bunch of 20 year olds leading the helm? 

Given that, I think OKC might be a unique trade partner as they should be valuing some veteran presence. 

I wonder if they would be interested in a deal that involves THJ+Brown+26 for 12+34+Derrick Favors. 

OKC moves back but stays in the first round and gets 2 vets while moving off some money.

My entire motivation to move up (especially to 12) is because I really value Mark Williams. He's THE guy for me. I view him as the perfect center for this team and he'll be cost controlled for 4 years. I don't see him getting past Charlotte at 13, so 12 would be the perfect spot. 

If Mark Williams isn't available, then I'd be interested in Agbaji. If both of those guys are out, I'm totally fine trading out of this draft. Not many difference makers to me.

THJ+Brown+26 for 12+34+Derrick Favors ---  I like that idea, especially if Favors has anything left to make him a plus on the court. I'm also big on Williams as an ideal-fit draft target. 

The only downside would be ending with a glut of interior-only bigs on the roster -- Powell, Williams, Favors, Bobi -- and when you add in the guys with some stretch ability (Maxi and Chriss) you're back up to 6 centers clogging things. That's way too many, of course, and you'd be forced to find a deal to move at least one (and perhaps two) just to have enough depth elsewhere. Maybe Powell to OKC instead of THJ? Or both THJ and Powell?
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
For all the posts claiming "there have been extensive case studies on the draft and draft prospects"...which lead to the conclusion that "abandoning the draft is the smarter play"...

All these highlight vids...is there a website/youtuber that breaks down athletes using only video of said prospect against either extremely organized defensive teams or against legit D1 talent?  I dont want to get into an e-argument with yall about the wording D1...you know what I am trying to suggest.   Im aware that not all prospects are in D1.   I WANT TO ONLY SEE HIGHLIGHTS AGAINST LEGIT TALENT. 

It makes sense to me.

College sucks for sports.  They play power programs against small no talent schools(yes, i get it that it brings money to the small schools).  I dont want to see highlights of that.

Before you chime in with "Make your own highlights" or "Do it yourself"...why dont the people making the videos do that?  I dont have a camera, skills or time to do it.

What I am ultimately getting at is...there has to be traces that lead someone to figure out how Jokic or Tyrese Maxey will lead to being NBA ballers.  There has to be tape that proves these guys were destined to be better than guys drafted in front of them.

I dont believe in luck with basketball.   Either teams are making dumb decisions and over reaching for "potential" players(guys with measurements) instead of solid high floor guys...or its all bullshit.

Somethings got to give here.

Anyway.  I hope Mavs, if they draft at 26, choose the highest floor guy that fits their scheme.   Not some 20 year old Euro soccer player turned bball prospect with crazy athleticism and measurements.
Like Reply
(05-30-2022, 04:28 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: I dont believe in luck with basketball.

So much of what makes a successful NBA player is hard to quantify. It is why teams do interviews and background checks. In between the ears and what is in the heart is REALLY important. As well as external circumstances and experiences--a lot of things you cannot control. Hence the draft hit rate of all teams is relatively low.
Like Reply
(05-30-2022, 05:22 PM)Kammrath Wrote: So much of what makes a successful NBA player is hard to quantify. It is why teams do interviews and background checks. In between the ears and what is in the heart is REALLY important. As well as external circumstances and experiences--a lot of things you cannot control. Hence the draft hit rate of all teams is relatively low.

I thought that's why you're supposed to be able to rely on the players' high school and college coaches for attitude traits.  Assuming they had those coaches.

Im starting to think teams reach for measurements over solid foundation.   But I haven't done the research.
Like Reply
(05-30-2022, 07:30 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: I thought that's why you're supposed to be able to rely on the players' high school and college coaches for attitude traits.  Assuming they had those coaches.

Im starting to think teams reach for measurements over solid foundation.   But I haven't done the research.

If you try and do any research, you won’t have much to quantify. The NBA draft, along with every amateur draft, isn’t an exact science and there are so many factors that determine which players succeed and which ones don’t.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dirknows's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
(05-29-2022, 09:52 AM)omahen Wrote: According to the piece below, Mavs met with (at least) following guys at the combine:

Patrick Baldwin Jr.
E.J.Liddell
MarJon Beauchamp
Wendell Moore Jr.
Josh Minott

2022 NBA Draft Combine: From Pablo Escobar to team interviews, and trade talk in between - The Athletic

Love Liddell…WMJ would be a good get too.
Like Reply
The biggest factor I look for it the attitude toward dropping in the rankings with players. I was already wanting him, but Stewart made some statements about beating a lot of the guys he was being rumored to be passed up for. I knew right there he would be a player in the NBA cause he was gonna work hard to prove everyone wrong. We’re in a decent spot to find that guy if we make the pick.
Like Reply
(05-30-2022, 08:01 PM)Dirknows Wrote: If you try and do any research, you won’t have much to quantify. The NBA draft, along with every amateur draft, isn’t an exact science and there are so many factors that determine which players succeed and which ones don’t.

I understand that.

But I think a lot of that stuff is just noise.

I think, for the most part, you can tell if a player is lazy, not into it or is counter reactive to structure or authority which lead to low success rates long term.  Does the organization get hypnotized by measurements/talent over red flags?

I think thats what most refer to as being "factors" that are hard to predict.  Of course there are a few players with family issues or extreme upbringings that lead to failure(current Cowboys cornerback involved in drive-by because his lifelong friends are thugs)

IMO,  again...MY OPINION...if you target guys with high floors or very fundamentally sound players....those players have shown and put forth the effort to establish bball skills because they are interested in basketball.  Identify those guys and then weed out the "ugly" factors that could make some of them unsuccessful.

Im sure there is an argument that those guys just "arent good enough" for the NBA and that you HAVE to go by talent or potential talent.

I just dont think I believe in some "Alpha" gene where some of these guys are just lazy until there is true competition(NBA) and then they show what they can do and succeed.  I know thats a personality type that exists...I just think its rare and not worth making arguments for when talking about NBA prospects and how many there are.

And maybe its not about quantifying...but about the eye test.   I get that at the level of NBA you have to have strict guidelines because of the level of competition...but maybe its more than spreadsheets and percentages and measurements.

For an easier explanation of what Im trying to say here...go for the sound bball skilled player that is 6'5 over the potential in another player that is 6'9.   But youre going to say that the 6'5 guy is going to have to work his ass off on the court like Brunson to get around the 6'9 guys length.  Dont get me wrong...length kills in bball....but so does wasting a bunch of draft picks on 6'9 guys with potential that really had no sound bball fundamentals.

Has bball reached a point where its about length and not skill?  Length has the stronger resume in winning over skill now?
Like Reply
I thought the Beuachamp highlights are interesting.  A tad older than the other ignite guys.  I thought he was not a great athlete.  Looks fine to me.  In fact, on a few of his breakaways I got a little Shawn Marion vibe.

https://youtu.be/8EPAkUNQ8q8
Like Reply
Kammrath's Mavs 2022 Draft Board -- 1.0

Trade-Up Targets

1) Tari Eason — Switchable Center/Wing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfbsfp1eOt4)
  • 21.0 yrs | 6’ 6.75” | 7’ 2.0” WS | 8’ 11.5” SR | 11.0” hand | 5.9% fat
  • Strengths: defend 1-5, athleticism, huge hands, offensive potential
  • Weaknesses: turnover & foul prone
  • NOTE: I think Tari is the ideal big man prospect for the modern NBA (and what the Mavs need). Due to the Mavs need at that position he is the one player I would target who I think might fall to a range the Mavs can reach in a trade (13-17). 

Draft at #26 Targets

2) EJ Liddell — Small-Ball Center/Wing
  • 21.4 yrs | 6’ 5.5” | 6’ 11.75” WS | 8’ 7.5” SR | 9.25” hand | 12.2% fat
  • Lane Agility: 11.11 | Shuttle: 3.23 | Sprint: 3.26 | Vert: 35.5 | Max Vert: 38.0
  • Strengths: strong, athletic, defend 1-5, passing
  • Weaknesses: short, body fat
  • NOTE: I debated whether Liddell would be worth trading up for. I am on the fence with that and at this point hope he falls to #26. I think he could be a Draymond Green type player and could be the kind of small ball center you could play almost full time. 
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqh3-cqX1jk
3) Jake LaRavia — Wing
  • 20.6 yrs | 6’ 6.75” | 6’ 9.5” WS | 8’ 8” SR | 10.25” hand | 9.0% fat
  • Lane Agility: 10.58 | Shuttle: 2.89 | Sprint: 3.37 | Vert: 27.5 | Max Vert: 34.0
  • Strengths: shooting, feel for the game, defensive upside, creation skills
  • Weaknesses: wingspan, athleticism?
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z7ME0g8Pm0
4) Kendall Brown — Wing
  • 19.0 yrs | 6’ 6.25” | 6’ 11.0” WS | 8’ 7” SR | 9.0” hand | 4.9% fat
  • Lane Agility: 11.57 | Shuttle: 3.05 | Sprint: 3.29 | Vert: 31.5 | Max Vert: 41.0
  • Strengths: defend 1-4, athleticism, finishing, passing, young
  • Weaknesses: shooting, defensive consistency
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWNYyaUyLJ8
5) Jalen Williams — Wing
  • 21.1 yrs | 6’ 4.5” | 7’ 2.25” WS | 8’ 9.5” SR | 9.5” hand | 8.9% fat
  • Lane Agility: 11.13 | Shuttle: 3.17 | Sprint: 3.11 | Vert: 33.5 | Max Vert: 39.0
  • Strengths: creation ability, shooting, defend 1-4
  • Weaknesses: defensive consistency
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmv47jiD-GM
6) Wendell Moore Jr — Guard/Wing
  • 20.7 yrs | 6’ 4.25” | 7’ 0.25” WS | 8’ 5” SR | 10.25” hand | 7.5% fat
  • Lane Agility: 10.94 | Shuttle: 3.21 | Sprint: 3.30 | Vert: 32.5 | Max Vert: 38.5
  • Strengths: shooting, creation ability, defend 1-3
  • Weaknesses: athleticism doesn’t translate on-court
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2beV1xq9D2s
7) Dalen Terry — Guard/Wing
  • 19.9 yrs | 6’ 6.0” | 7’ 0.75” WS | 8’ 10” SR | 9.0” hand | 5.4% fat
  • Strengths: young, creation potential, rebounding, defend 1-4
  • Weaknesses: thin, shooting consistency
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMhHwusQRlk
8) Christian Koloko — Center
  • 21.9 yrs | 6’ 10.75” | 7’ 5.25” WS | 9’ 5” SR | 10.75” hand | 5.7% fat
  • Lane Agility: 11.30 | Shuttle: 3.19 | Sprint: 3.27 | Vert: 28.0 | Max Vert: 33.5
  • Strengths: rim protection, dunking (PNR), rebounding
  • Weaknesses: shooting range, foul prone
  • NOTE: I like Koloko as much or more than the other traditional center types in this draft (like Walker Kessler). Even a guy like Mark Williams I do not see being much better than Koloko, especially considering the cost of trading up. I think a traditional center is not worth trading up for, because they likely won't play 30 mins a night and will have injury risks their whole career. 
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-NJ89zgi_g
9) Josh Minott — Small-Ball Center 10) Marjon Beauchamp — Wing
[-] The following 3 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • F Gump, HAguiar95, MFFL
Like Reply
(05-29-2022, 09:52 AM)omahen Wrote: According to the piece below, Mavs met with (at least) following guys at the combine:

Patrick Baldwin Jr.
E.J.Liddell
MarJon Beauchamp
Wendell Moore Jr.
Josh Minott

2022 NBA Draft Combine: From Pablo Escobar to team interviews, and trade talk in between - The Athletic
And here is Minott.  You can certainly see the appeal.  But you also have to factor in he only played 15 minutes a game and averaged only 6 points and was a non factor down the stretch.  I remember reading earlier in the season that some were thinking Memphis was trying to hide him.  Not sure I buy that.  He is probably a ways off.  But I can see the intrigue.  Wouldn’t think he would be a candidate at 26 though…unless Memphis coaching staff was responsible for malpractice.

https://youtu.be/XUSZCgw1uBw
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(05-30-2022, 03:32 PM)F Gump Wrote: THJ+Brown+26 for 12+34+Derrick Favors ---  I like that idea, especially if Favors has anything left to make him a plus on the court. I'm also big on Williams as an ideal-fit draft target. 

The only downside would be ending with a glut of interior-only bigs on the roster -- Powell, Williams, Favors, Bobi -- and when you add in the guys with some stretch ability (Maxi and Chriss) you're back up to 6 centers clogging things. That's way too many, of course, and you'd be forced to find a deal to move at least one (and perhaps two) just to have enough depth elsewhere. Maybe Powell to OKC instead of THJ? Or both THJ and Powell?

I also started to ponder about what the roster would be like after a move like that, given we'd have almost half of it dedicated to big men. 

My one concern sending both Powell+THJ for Favors is that you essentially sent 2 guys that are apart of the top 7 rotation and are banking on a rookie and Favors to replicate their production. On paper it looks like we took a step back, and are taking a risk. Although you can argue the team looked fine without THJ this season, and Powell was largely a ghost out there in 3 playoff series. So perhaps I'm overvaluing them...? I still think Powell is a reliable backup big for the regular season with established chemistry with Luka. That's not nothing. Also if the rumors are true then OKC is looking for a big man at the 2nd pick, which gives them even less of an incentive to absorb Powell. 

I think the only other idea that makes sense includes Bertans, but I think OKC promptly hangs up. I also am trying to find ways to jettison The Others that are taking up space and aren't providing much of anything. Brown, Chriss, and Burke shouldn't be on the roster next year full stop to me. And in my mind the only way we get off of any of these guys is attaching them to one of THJ, Powell, or Bertans (and good luck finding that Bertans deal). 

In any case I'm glad were in agreement on Mark Williams. Dude looks like the exact type of center we need. But I think we should rethink the move if the cost is Powell+THJ since we could probably get a more established center in the league based with that package (*cough* Gobert).
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(05-31-2022, 12:33 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: In any case I'm glad were in agreement on Mark Williams. Dude looks like the exact type of center we need. But I think we should rethink the move if the cost is Powell+THJ since we could probably get a more established center in the league based with that package (*cough* Gobert).

I accept that Powell has pluses that are useful -- but the fact that he can't be used very much in the playoffs, and especially when the Mavs were in dire need of someone to merely give them decent-value minutes, makes me willing to move on.

Yes that creates minutes to be filled for 82 games when Powell was playable, but if you are getting both Favors and Williams, I think you'll be fine, and I can't see how that combo would be LESS useful in the playoffs than DP has been. (Plus, having minutes to fill isn't a bad thing, as you need playing time for those additions.)

Speaking of minutes, if you move THJ, you free up minutes for a 3rd wing, which opens space for someone to want to come play for the $6.2M MLE. If you don't have rotation minutes, good veteran players won't ring chase here. If you do, they might.

About your comparison of what you can get (in theory) for Powell-THJ (if OKC wanted both), it needs one significant addition
a) Gobert, or
b) Favors, Williams, and about $30M-$40M of payroll each year (plus two TPEs, $21M and $11M)

I am okay if Gobert was available for that price and they opted to go that route, I think, but I believe there should be more efficient uses of $40M+ of payroll each year.

Just as an example, I'd much rather spend 40M on the DFS-Bullock-Maxi trio over Gobert, and they cost about the same. I get that this would be adding Gobert to that trio, but I'm saying I think another trio like that would prove to be more useful than Gobert. In practical terms, when my center gets played off the floor in the playoffs by small ball, I want it to be Favors-Williams making $15M combined, where I also have a big wing getting $15M (or 6.2M) to insert instead at that point, rather than Gobert and all of my 40M idled. Plus, smaller salary pieces are easier to move if you need to swap out someone to fill a hole, or change the mix somehow.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • dynamicalVoid
Like Reply
(05-30-2022, 03:32 PM)F Gump Wrote: THJ+Brown+26 for 12+34+Derrick Favors ---  I like that idea, especially if Favors has anything left to make him a plus on the court. I'm also big on Williams as an ideal-fit draft target. 

Is there a reason for THJ to be in this trade? I mean I suppose it's possible OKC wants him as a player, especially with how bad this free agent class is, but Favors+12+34 for Brown+TE+26 also works and reduces the number of players on their roster.
Like Reply
(05-31-2022, 04:54 AM)Branduil Wrote: Is there a reason for THJ to be in this trade? I mean I suppose it's possible OKC wants him as a player, especially with how bad this free agent class is, but Favors+12+34 for Brown+TE+26 also works and reduces the number of players on their roster.

We are just spitballing - so whoever is in or out is just because that's the conversation. THJ (or THJ and more) is intended to be the value being given to OKC, so that OKC will swap 12+34 for 26. I would want to include Powell too because of how many centers would be here, and also how bloated the roster would be, but if the Mavs are landing pick 12 (with Williams still on the board) and 34, I'm not quibbling.
Like Reply
(05-30-2022, 10:07 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Kammrath's Mavs 2022 Draft Board -- 1.0

Love this format and I'll do something similar on the near future. 

As for the trade up, this year feels really difficult, unless you're willing to eat Gordon (#17) or McDermott's (#20) money or give up Kleber/Bullock to some contender (#26/Bullock/Kleber for Gallo/#16/#44) or involve future picks which I wouldn't do.

(05-30-2022, 01:55 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I wonder if they would be interested in a deal that involves THJ+Brown+26 for 12+34+Derrick Favors. 

How many future picks are we sending here? This is a straight up robbery. Swap THJ with Brunson (S&T) and I still think they say no.
We just paid a whole lot of money to a guy that went 9-29 (31%) on FG and 3-20 (15%) 3-pt% in both our win or go home elimination games last couple of playoffs. SMH 
Like Reply
THJ+Brown+26 for 12+34+Derrick Favors at least to me, doesn't seem too realistic at all.

12th pick seems like a giveaway in this case, OKC would at least  ask for a lottery protected pick.

DP+Green+26+furture first for 12+Favors+Muscala+34 seems fair.

Get Dyson Daniels at 12 and Kamagate at 34.

Muscala and Favors would help until Kamagate is ready.

As for Dyson -- I think he is a can't miss pick. I'd pick him over Eason or Mark Williams.
Like Reply
(05-31-2022, 07:38 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: THJ+Brown+26 for 12+34+Derrick Favors at least to me, doesn't seem too realistic at all.

12th pick seems like a giveaway in this case, OKC would at least  ask for a lottery protected pick.

DP+Green+26+future first for 12+Favors+Muscala+34 seems fair.

If you are negotiating for OKC -- "OKC" is asking for a lottery-protected pick to be added. So would OKC take THJ, Powell, Brown (not Green) if Mavs agree to send another 1st, lottery protected?

That makes the deal ......THJ+DP+Brown+26+future first .......for 12+Favors+Muscala+34

BTW you mention Daniels at 12, but I doubt he's still there at 12. The guy I want is Williams, of course.
Like Reply
(05-31-2022, 07:30 AM)HAguiar95 Wrote: As for the trade up, this year feels really difficult

Right now there is only one guy I would trade up for: Tari Eason. 

I can see picks 12-17 all being available for the right price. 

OKC at #12: too many picks to absorb in the roster
CHA at #13 & 15: might be willing to part with one as they want to be in win now mode
CLE at #14: wants to win now
ATL at #16: wants to win now
HOU at #17: similar situation to OKC with lots of youth and only so many roster spots

I personally would be willing to give up a future pick to get Tari Eason. But that is from a really LIMITED fan perspective. I don't know all the ins and outs of him as a person. If there are red flags there you don't. But from a fan perspective I think he would be AMAZING with Luka as the big man. Switchable 1-5, can be a lob and pick and roll guy, can also create some, and shoot some. And he has the type of build that is durable long term. And I would absolutely include Maxi to trade up to get Tari.
Like Reply