Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.17 Average
2022 NBA Draft: #37 Jaden Hardy (6' 3", 6' 9" WS) to DAL | two 2nds to SAC
(05-18-2022, 03:27 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: The Mark Williams numbers are eye opening.  He doesn't look like he is 7'2.   He also doesn't move like a 7'2 guy.   Just fascinating prospect.  There are games he looks like a top 10 pick and then there others where he doesn't do much.   It will be interesting to see where he lands.  If I were to guess, he goes top 15.   Where Kessler and Koloko fall a little from their projections.

Williams is projected to go to Charlotte if he's still on the board. They need a center.
Like Reply
NBA Draft Net has the Mavs taking Jaylin Williams.
And I approve of this.

Exactly what the Mavs need. Here's the "other Maxi" and he is in the draft.

NBA Draft Net: 
A relentless, versatile center who is built for the modern game with his disruptiveness and defensive acumen … Top of the key offensive initiator with great court vision and powerful, accurate passing leading to 2.6 assists per game his sophomore season … High-level athlete who can put the ball on the floor and play mobile on both ends of the floor … Has the potential to expand his range beyond the 3-point line
Like Reply
(05-18-2022, 03:27 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: The Mark Williams numbers are eye opening.  He doesn't look like he is 7'2.   He also doesn't move like a 7'2 guy.   Just fascinating prospect.  There are games he looks like a top 10 pick and then there others where he doesn't do much.   It will be interesting to see where he lands.  If I were to guess, he goes top 15.   Where Kessler and Koloko fall a little from their projections.

Honestly would try and pry OKC's #12 pick to draft the guy. After those measurements I'm convinced he's the starting center we're looking for. 

OKC has too many picks. They're going to have to figure out something.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Unfortunately, this draft is weak when it comes to stretch PF/C (younger Kleber) and versatile SF/PF (ex: DFS with more offensive skills). There are a few players who will be available in the Mavs range but most of them will require some work and development...especially in regards to shooting.

The strength of the draft appears to be guards so at 26, you have to go Best Player Available...even if it's a guard.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/NBADraftWass/status/...47744?s=20&t=7blHItTeMrAlddQ_FPEAlQ

Looks like JaylINWilliams (Arkansas) didn't have great athletic measurments at the Combine, JaLEN Williams (Santa Clara) though seems to be on the rise. Really high on him personally, probably ahead of Kendall Brown now the fav for me at #26. 

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/...57184?s=20&t=7blHItTeMrAlddQ_FPEAlQ

https://twitter.com/NBADraftWass/status/...77376?s=20&t=7blHItTeMrAlddQ_FPEAlQ

https://twitter.com/Barlowe500/status/15...85473?s=20&t=7blHItTeMrAlddQ_FPEAlQ

Looks like he might not be there though. Meh.
Like Reply
I can´t say what it is, but something about Jalen Williams just puts me off. Just a gut feeling. I don´t feel like his whole game/shooting motion/drives have any strength. I think if he´s caught by a breeze the whole construct collapses. He probably looks brilliant in workouts playing against a chair, but I´m scared it won´t translate to actual NBA games. Then we talk about late 1st round picks here.

While I´m also gulity of this wingspan analysis, am I actually supposed to believe that in 2022 scouts can´t get pretty accurtae estimates of players wingspan based on video analysis? The scouts at the combine were surprised by his wingspan and now he´s moving up in the draft. LIKE WTF.
Like Reply
So when Paola Banchero goes #3 to the Rockets does Christian Wood become expendable?
Like Reply
Being someone now who really can't give the draft my attention I used to give it, it still amazes me how good these players are.   Most will not make it, but they are really talented.  Making the NBA is really hard.   

I still do love finding players I am not familar with during the draft process.  A few years ago, I found Desmond Bane pretty late in the process.  I kept seeing his name as a late first round pick but never really investigated him.  When I did, I was blown away with his shooting and passing.   I love finding guys like that.  

Maybe not at the Bane level, but there a few guys who I have liked watching clips of.  

NC State has an probable undrafted guy who interested me earlier in the season by the name of Seabron.   But they also have a freshman who is getting some first round buzz who I never heard of.  In his highlights he has some Jordan Poole to his game.   It is sort of concerning NC State was not good this past year, but he is another guy I want to watch more of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmfBE8s9WbU&t=321s
Like Reply
I am not sure where I fall on the centers in this draft yet.  There will probably be a good chance that both Kessler and Koloko make it close to our first round pick.  there are some additional early second round players too we need to evaluate.

With Powell's struggles in the playoffs, maybe investing in a young center to eventually replace Powell at a much lower and cost controlled contract is a smart move.    Then we can use future assets for a PF type.   Maybe Kessler or Koloko can get close to the rim running and hustle Powell provides but with better defense.  Neither may be ready to produce right away, but it could position ourselves when we make that "all in" type of move.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg8u_EldmJw
Like Reply
(05-20-2022, 10:30 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I am not sure where I fall on the centers in this draft yet.  There will probably be a good chance that both Kessler and Koloko make it close to our first round pick.  there are some additional early second round players too we need to evaluate.

With Powell's struggles in the playoffs, maybe investing in a young center to eventually replace Powell at a much lower and cost controlled contract is a smart move.    Then we can use future assets for a PF type.   Maybe Kessler or Koloko can get close to the rim running and hustle Powell provides but with better defense.  Neither may be ready to produce right away, but it could position ourselves when we make that "all in" type of move.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg8u_EldmJw

I´m fairly in the camp of adding another late 1st round pick. My idea was Saric + Suns pick (30th) into our TPE. I assume they will pay Ayton, which means Saric needs to go, who has only a year left and just had another surgery. That way we could have drafted an additional player, sort of a BPA + PF/C package.

But of course the Thunder already own that pick.

I wonder how long the league and the NBAPA will allow Presti to continue The Extra Process, just because he once drafted Durant, Westbrook and Harden. They have three veteran players under contract in SGA, Favors and Muscala and will likely dump two of them this summer. That means they´ll literally have 14 players on rookie contracts.

Also as good a player as SGA is, if you tolerate this BS for three years, you have no competitive spirit.
Like Reply
(05-20-2022, 10:56 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I´m fairly in the camp of adding another late 1st round pick. My idea was Saric + Suns pick (30th) into our TPE. I assume they will pay Ayton, which means Saric needs to go, who has only a year left and just had another surgery. That way we could have drafted an additional player, sort of a BPA + PF/C package.

But of course the Thunder already own that pick.

I wonder how long the league and the NBAPA will allow Presti to continue The Extra Process, just because he once drafted Durant, Westbrook and Harden. They have three veteran players under contract in SGA, Favors and Muscala and will likely dump two of them this summer. That means they´ll literally have 14 players on rookie contracts.

Also as good a player as SGA is, if you tolerate this BS for three years, you have no competitive spirit.

I love the draft and uncovering under the radar prospects, but I would be against picking up another first.   Unless the real prize was an overpaid veteran player who can help now.   This team may already have plans for the two way guys in Moses Wright and even Eugene O, who was hurt.  I think both guys should probably deserve closer looks.  I also have my eye on a few later second round guys or undrafted guys who will interest me if we have an open two way.  

Another first round guy I like in our range is Kennedy Chandler, but maybe another smallish point guard is the last thing we need.  He looks like he has something though.   Although it seems like if you are a big who can't move or a small guard, you are red meat to good teams to go after.  Chandler looks pretty solid on D for his size though.
Like Reply
(05-21-2022, 10:03 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I love the draft and uncovering under the radar prospects, but I would be against picking up another first.   Unless the real prize was an overpaid veteran player who can help now.   This team may already have plans for the two way guys in Moses Wright and even Eugene O, who was hurt.  I think both guys should probably deserve closer looks.  I also have my eye on a few later second round guys or undrafted guys who will interest me if we have an open two way.  

Another first round guy I like in our range is Kennedy Chandler, but maybe another smallish point guard is the last thing we need.  He looks like he has something though.   Although it seems like if you are a big who can't move or a small guard, you are red meat to good teams to go after.  Chandler looks pretty solid on D for his size though.

Mavs are running out of roster spots before the draft or free agency even started. Personally I would be willing to part with a number of guys (Burke, Brown, Boban, Chriss, one out of THJ/SD/Bertans) but I don´t think the Mavs share those thoughts.
Would be more interested in trading up. Targeting one of lottery bigs or a big wing (pipe dream Jalen Duren, Mark Williams, Jeremy Sochan, maybe Ousmane Dieng).
Like Reply
(05-21-2022, 10:49 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Mavs are running out of roster spots before the draft or free agency even started. Personally I would be willing to part with a number of guys (Burke, Brown, Boban, Chriss, one out of THJ/SD/Bertans) but I don´t think the Mavs share those thoughts.
Would be more interested in trading up. Targeting one of lottery bigs or a big wing (pipe dream Jalen Duren, Mark Williams, Jeremy Sochan, maybe Ousmane Dieng).

I don’t think Burke, Boban, and THJ are Kidd/Nico guys. I think they’re the mostly to be shipped out from your list of bench players. You can probably throw Powell in there too.
Like Reply
My favorite second round centers are Jaylin Williams from Arkansas and Trevion Williams from Purdue.

I only saw Jaylin Williams in the NCAA tournament but loved what I saw.  He is not super athletic but just looks like a smart player.  Doesn't block many shots but is a charge magnet.

Trevion Williams split time with another really good college center, so they didn't play together often.  He is a fantastic passer and a big body who is really skilled.  The key for him is defending and protecting the rim.   I could see a Thomas Bryant type player if he gets in really good shape.
Like Reply
(05-21-2022, 05:21 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: My favorite second round centers are Jaylin Williams from Arkansas and Trevion Williams from Purdue.

I only saw Jaylin Williams in the NCAA tournament but loved what I saw.  He is not super athletic but just looks like a smart player.  Doesn't block many shots but is a charge magnet.

Trevion Williams split time with another really good college center, so they didn't play together often.  He is a fantastic passer and a big body who is really skilled.  The key for him is defending and protecting the rim.   I could see a Thomas Bryant type player if he gets in really good shape.

Well we could just sign the real Thomas Bryant for the TP-MLE. Big Grin Tongue

Just kidding.

Historically the players that are undervalued late in the draft are forwards/ centers. You´ll rarely find ball-handling primary guards, but plenty of PF/C types Jokic, Draymond, Gobert, Siakam, Harrell, Holmes, Zubac, Kuzma, Hartenstein, Robert Willliams III, Robinson, Gafford. Also the bigger SG/SF hybrids have done pretty well: Butler, Middleton, Crowder, Parsons, Bogdanovic....

So guys like Moore/Liddell would fall into the last category, while all the Williamses, Kessler and Koloko would be the classic big category. I´m actually pretty positive, they´ll make a pick, that will be better as a rookie than Josh Green/Frank Ntilikina were this season. There are plenty of options available that will be older/more ready or/and at a position, where you can contribute quickly, cause the bar is very low.
Like Reply
(05-21-2022, 05:21 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: My favorite second round centers are Jaylin Williams from Arkansas and Trevion Williams from Purdue.

I'll admit I like what I see from Jaylin Williams so far. My preference would still be to trade the pick for a proven center, but if that proves cost prohibitive or impossible, Jaylin seems like a decent consolation prize. Things that stand out to me from his draft profile and watching his highlights:

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/jaylin-williams/

Quote:Strengths: A relentless, versatile center who is built for the modern game with his disruptiveness and defensive acumen … Top of the key offensive initiator with great court vision and powerful, accurate passing leading to 2.6 assists per game his sophomore season … High-level athlete who can put the ball on the floor and play mobile on both ends of the floor … Has the potential to expand his range beyond the 3-point line … Boxes out well with the size and length to be a great rebounder … Averaged nearly 10 rebounds per game at Arkansas this season … Extremely smart defender who was the best player in the nation at rotating over and drawing charges … It is an understatement to call him a pesky defender … Defensive versatility is his greatest strength as he can guard just about any player on the floor, allowing his team to switch anything … High motor player who sets the tone defensively and has the stamina to play for long stretches. Averaged nearly 32 minutes per game for the Razorbacks and significantly improved in staying out of foul trouble … Williams fouled nearly five times per 40 minutes as a freshman and reduced this to 3.3 fouls per 40 minutes as a sophomore … Active hands on entry passes … Isn’t afraid to put his body into opponents in the post on both ends … Meets players at the rim as he averaged over a block per game … Creates chaos and turnovers on defense with 54 drawn charges and 48 steals on the season … Showed out against elite big men like Chet Holmgren, Drew Timme and Mark Williams in the NCAA Tournament … Will give you everything he has whenever he is on the floor and simply knows how to win and make players better around him …

The issue of course with trying to draft our next starting center is it usually takes several years for a center to develop into true starting quality. At the same time, the bar right now is Dwight Powell... a late 1st rookie center might well be better than him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Branduil's post:
  • VintagePejav2
Like Reply
(1) Kevin McPherson on Twitter: "Sources: Arkansas big man Jaylin Williams @Jay_MWilliams_ will have work outs & meetings w/Atlanta Hawks first and Dallas Mavericks next following his participation in past week's NBA Draft Combine ... https://t.co/8ND0FgX3VC" / Twitter
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • VintagePejav2
Like Reply
So far I have only seen Jaylin Williams projected in the 1st round in one mock draft, he´s going mid-late 2nd round in most others, even undrafted in some. So shouldn´t take him at #26, but rather look to acquire an additional pick.
Like Reply
(05-23-2022, 02:05 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: So far I have only seen Jaylin Williams projected in the 1st round in one mock draft, he´s going mid-late 2nd round in most others, even undrafted in some. So shouldn´t take him at #26, but rather look to acquire an additional pick.

Trade Green, #26, and the TPE to Sacramento for Holmes and #37.
Like Reply
It’s a long shot, but the Mavs staying on schedule as a team worthy of Luka depends critically on adding a Bane or Poole level player with this pick.  The Mavs need to do more than hit a single. They need an extra base hit this time.
Like Reply