Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bullock Bust Watch
Shooters have slumps. This is the best part of the season for a shooting slump. Need to keep giving him opportunities to shoot out of the slump
[-] The following 3 users Like MrGoat's post:
  • embellisher, haveitall, Kammrath
Like Reply
(11-21-2021, 08:10 PM)MrGoat Wrote: Shooters have slumps. This is the best part of the season for a shooting slump. Need to keep giving him opportunities to shoot out of the slump

Agree with that. What is to like however, is that the way and quickness he gets his shot off. That fits really nicely with the Luka style offense. In fact any offense. This gives Luka and Brunson more opportunities to find him in even smaller time creases.

My opinion is that he will likely find his rhythm eventually. If not, it's a really bad addition, but I believe he will add more to the team later.
Like Reply
I watched a lot of Knicks games in the previous two seasons and - on an extremely ephemeral basis - I don't see much different by eye-test in Reggie's shooting form. And his per-36 #-of-3pt-attempts appears to be pretty close (6.7 this year to 7.4 last). 

However, while the total 3pt-attempts/36 is close to last year, it is trending sharply down. He's a pretty miserable 2-19 over the last 6 games in 158m - which is only 4.3 3pt-attempts/36, and that obviously includes three games in which Luka wasn't taking 20+ shots a game.

It definitely wasn't great that he had 0-2 last night in 32m (0-6 would have been better!), and I didn't like him not taking the shot at the end of the half.

Otoh, maybe part of the problem is JB looks for him even less than Luka does!
Like Reply
(11-22-2021, 04:48 PM)BackToSquareOne Wrote: I watched a lot of Knicks games in the previous two seasons and - on an extremely ephemeral basis - I don't see much different by eye-test in Reggie's shooting form. And his per-36 #-of-3pt-attempts appears to be pretty close (6.7 this year to 7.4 last). 

However, while the total 3pt-attempts/36 is close to last year, it is trending sharply down. He's a pretty miserable 2-19 over the last 6 games in 158m - which is only 4.3 3pt-attempts/36, and that obviously includes three games in which Luka wasn't taking 20+ shots a game.

It definitely wasn't great that he had 0-2 last night in 32m (0-6 would have been better!), and I didn't like him not taking the shot at the end of the half.

Otoh, maybe part of the problem is JB looks for him even less than Luka does!

Interesting theory but it is wrong. In actuality (aka reality), Brunson passes the ball to Bullock more often than Luka does per game. Source: https://www.nba.com/stats/player/203493/passes-dash/

Furthermore, Bullock shoots a much better % with Brunson than with Luka: 35% from 3 with Brunson, 11% from 3 with Luka. 

Brunson + Bullock pairing is a +10.4 net rating. Luka + Bullock pairing is a -10.1 net rating. 

How is that for context? But this is not a Brunson/Luka or even Kidd problem. It is strictly a Reggie Bullock problem, the dude is shooting 30-33% on open to wide open 3PT's; 28% on catch 'n shoot opportunities. He needs to simply do his part [on offense].
[-] The following 2 users Like Fuerza1's post:
  • BackToSquareOne, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(11-22-2021, 05:38 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Interesting theory but it is wrong. In actuality (aka reality), Brunson passes the ball to Bullock more often than Luka does per game. Source: https://www.nba.com/stats/player/203493/passes-dash/

Furthermore, Bullock shoots a much better % with Brunson than with Luka: 35% from 3 with Brunson, 11% from 3 with Luka. 

Brunson + Bullock pairing is a +10.4 net rating. Luka + Bullock pairing is a -10.1 net rating. 

How is that for context? But this is not a Brunson/Luka or even Kidd problem. It is strictly a Reggie Bullock problem, the dude is shooting 30-33% on open to wide open 3PT's; 28% on catch 'n shoot opportunities. He needs to simply do his part [on offense].

The last line was an edited in throw away add on, and you're completely right - the stats show the opposite if anything.
Like Reply
Another 2-7 game for Bullock. Can we send him to the G-league to learn how to shoot again?

I’m especially frustrated with him tonight after he let that one loose ball roll out of bounds assuming it was off the Wiz, leading promptly to them getting a layup off the inbound.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DrMav's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
0-3 from the field (all 3 pointers.)  0-1 from the free throw line.  Man, the Mavs are great at utilizing their offseasons.
Like Reply
Yeah...dude has awful shot mechanics and they still signed him.

Im hopeful he turns it around.  Im not giving up hope until I see a tightened lineup that seems to be trying to play organized ball...and they all are still playing like crap.

Anyway...Mavs have a MAJOR issue acquiring players with obvious flaws in their games.  I dont get it.

Luka needs shooters.  Reliable shooters.  I suggest Mavs make a list of players with the smoothest shots and then whittle the list down to the players that are reasonably gettable.  Remove any players from the list that have major flaws too(bad dribbles, bad feel for the game,  have to be wide open to shoot, cant make a layup)  

I am not saying get him...but a player with a smooth shot like Brandon Ingram.   Hes a player that I feel like every time he launches its going in.   I dont care about his shooting stats...so no need to post them.  Ingrams shot passes the eye test for me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dynamicalVoid's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(11-30-2021, 09:01 AM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Yeah...dude has awful shot mechanics and they still signed him.

Im hopeful he turns it around.  Im not giving up hope until I see a tightened lineup that seems to be trying to play organized ball...and they all are still playing like crap.

Anyway...Mavs have a MAJOR issue acquiring players with obvious flaws in their games.  I dont get it.

Luka needs shooters.  Reliable shooters.  I suggest Mavs make a list of players with the smoothest shots and then whittle the list down to the players that are reasonably gettable.  Remove any players from the list that have major flaws too(bad dribbles, bad feel for the game,  have to be wide open to shoot, cant make a layup)  

I am not saying get him...but a player with a smooth shot like Brandon Ingram.   Hes a player that I feel like every time he launches its going in.   I dont care about his shooting stats...so no need to post them.  Ingrams shot passes the eye test for me.

Like Danny Green, his game can look really ugly when they go in shooting slumps.    Just by eye test, I think Green is probably a better defender but I could be off.  

The mistake the Mavs made was the Hardaway and Bullock was enough this offseason.    Put Bullock in a situation Green is in Philly and I think it is a much better fit.   As a fifth starter type who is a threat from three.    A lot of us have said, the Mavs had to increase their top talent this offseason and worry about the rest later.   Mavs keep on settling for guys on the fringes in FA.   I would be fine if we had a guy like Derozan who gets easy buckets and just have Bullock defend and shoot 6-7 threes per game.   Did we have enough money for Derozan, Bullock, Drummond?   None are perfect and may not be my cup of tea, but add those three to our team and things fit better imo.  

I am not giving up on Bullock, but until the Mavs fill in the holes of having another good creator and better center play, I think the results will be similar to what we have seen.  A guy who looks ok if he hits his shots, but one who provides nothing when his shot is off.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(11-30-2021, 09:01 AM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Luka needs shooters.  Reliable shooters.  I suggest Mavs make a list of players with the smoothest shots and then whittle the list down to the players that are reasonably gettable.  Remove any players from the list that have major flaws too(bad dribbles, bad feel for the game,  have to be wide open to shoot, cant make a layup)  

Here are 5 names with good 3pt % shooting for their careers.  Two each from SA and UT, would they trade with the Mavs?  The other would probably have to be a KP swap - so far-fetched.  

1.  Joe Ingles (34) UFA22, $13mil, (.414).

2.  Bryan Forbes (28) UFA22, $4mil, (.412).

3.  Doug McDermott (29) UFA24, $13mil, $13mil, $13mil, (.408).

4.  CJ McCollum (30) UFA24, $30mil, $33mil, $35mil, (.398).

5.  Bojan Bogdanovic (32) UFA23, $18mil, $19mil, (.393).
Like Reply
Bullock sucks...I'm not expecting much out of him at this point. This is the problem with most "3 and D" players. There are very few reliable 3 and D players in the league - those that are actually reliable shooters. Jae Crowder is considered one and I would not say he is a good shooter. Sure he has had a few good statistical seasons from three but I guarantee you he'd be bricking everything if he was here. Same with Bullock. You are also now seeing DFS' shooting come down to earth this season and he is in the same mold as Bullock/Crowder.

Before last season with NY, Bullock shot 33% and 34% in 2020 and 2019...not really good. This just might be who he actually is on average.

When you have a great roster of scorers already, those types of 3 and D players can be valuable as Crowder is to the Suns. But when you don't have much like the Mavs, these players can be liabilities.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SwisherPrice's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
Wonder how much the coach and emphasis has to do with it. Jalen, Maxi, KP all look significantly improved under the new HC. Reggie, Tim, and especially Luka all look worse. Sample size is no longer small.
Like Reply
(11-30-2021, 05:07 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Wonder how much the coach and emphasis has to do with it. Jalen, Maxi, KP all look significantly improved under the new HC. Reggie, Tim, and especially Luka all look worse. Sample size is no longer small.

I think everyone is focusing on those couple of Clippers game regarding KP. His regular season stats last season were actually arguably better than they are at this point. He scored more points on better efficiency, had on average 1 rebound more. He has a bit more assists, steals and blocks. So perhaps he is better defensively, but he is worse offensively. 

Brunson scores a bit more points (in more minutes), has more rebounds and assists, only his efficiency dropped considerably, mainly due to bad three point shooting. 

Maxi is a bit better. The rest are a little or a lot worse.
Like Reply
(11-30-2021, 09:21 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Like Danny Green, his game can look really ugly when they go in shooting slumps.    Just by eye test, I think Green is probably a better defender but I could be off.  

The mistake the Mavs made was the Hardaway and Bullock was enough this offseason.    Put Bullock in a situation Green is in Philly and I think it is a much better fit.   As a fifth starter type who is a threat from three.    A lot of us have said, the Mavs had to increase their top talent this offseason and worry about the rest later.   Mavs keep on settling for guys on the fringes in FA.   I would be fine if we had a guy like Derozan who gets easy buckets and just have Bullock defend and shoot 6-7 threes per game.   Did we have enough money for Derozan, Bullock, Drummond?   None are perfect and may not be my cup of tea, but add those three to our team and things fit better imo.  

I am not giving up on Bullock, but until the Mavs fill in the holes of having another good creator and better center play, I think the results will be similar to what we have seen.  A guy who looks ok if he hits his shots, but one who provides nothing when his shot is off.

Danny Green is a much better player than Bullock.  Better shooter and much better defender.  There is a reason Bullock was on nobody's radar for the MLE.  There were so many better options.  There were rumors they tried on Batum and Green and at least looked at Noel.  Don't know if they looked at Caruso.  In my mind Theis would have made way more sense than Bullock and can't imagine he would not have chosen the Mavs over Houston, especially if we added a couple mil.  Just another disaster of an offseason.

We did not have enough money for Derozn, Bullock, Drummond.  We might have been able to squeeze Derozan and Theis.  If SA was willing to S&T KP for Derozan, we could have signed DeRozan, Holmes and THJ.  That would have been fun.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(11-30-2021, 05:20 PM)omahen Wrote: Maxi is a bit better. The rest are a little or a lot worse.

And Kleber was hurt all last year, after a hard fight with COVID, since we’re getting into the details.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • ballsrchr, cow
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/CBAMavs/status/14656...eA79cusEwA&s=19
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
[-] The following 2 users Like ClutchDirk's post:
  • Kammrath, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(11-30-2021, 05:20 PM)omahen Wrote: I think everyone is focusing on those couple of Clippers game regarding KP. His regular season stats last season were actually arguably better than they are at this point. He scored more points on better efficiency, had on average 1 rebound more. He has a bit more assists, steals and blocks. So perhaps he is better defensively, but he is worse offensively. 

Brunson scores a bit more points (in more minutes), has more rebounds and assists, only his efficiency dropped considerably, mainly due to bad three point shooting. 

Maxi is a bit better. The rest are a little or a lot worse.

Appreciate the perspective. But couldn’t disagree more. KP was awful defensively last year. Way worse than bad. This year he looks good again. This is far more important than the stats you cite imho.

JB was good last year. He’s better this. He’s been the best performer on the team in nearly half his outings. The stats you’re looking at are missing the most important stuff.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jommybone's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
Love how Bullock played in the starting lineup. The spacing was much better and the ball movement improved with only Luka and KP hunting shots. Bullock is just a much better defender than THJ. If Bullock's 3 starts to fall you have three of four pretty good defenders starting next to Luka who should be able to knock down shots.

Also like how THJ adds scoring off the bench, especially with Brunson, Kleber and Ntilikina doing what they do. 

Bench of Brunson, Ntilikina, THJ, Kleber, Powell could be pretty good. Probably not great defensively, but that's a veteran group that has some chemistry.
[-] The following 5 users Like vfromlmf's post:
  • ClutchDirk, fifteenth, Kammrath, mvossman, omahen
Like Reply
(11-30-2021, 01:58 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Bullock sucks...I'm not expecting much out of him at this point. This is the problem with most "3 and D" players. There are very few reliable 3 and D players in the league - those that are actually reliable shooters. Jae Crowder is considered one and I would not say he is a good shooter. Sure he has had a few good statistical seasons from three but I guarantee you he'd be bricking everything if he was here. Same with Bullock. You are also now seeing DFS' shooting come down to earth this season and he is in the same mold as Bullock/Crowder.

Before last season with NY, Bullock shot 33% and 34% in 2020 and 2019...not really good. This just might be who he actually is on average.

When you have a great roster of scorers already, those types of 3 and D players can be valuable as Crowder is to the Suns. But when you don't have much like the Mavs, these players can be liabilities.

Correction. He shot 37.7% in 2019.  He shot 34% in 19 games with the Lakers after a trade after shooting 38.8% for the Pistons through most of the year. 

He's a career 38.7% 3 point shooter, that's including the start of this season. I fully expect his shooting to come around and maybe we just saw the start of it against the Pelicans
[-] The following 3 users Like MrGoat's post:
  • BackToSquareOne, ClutchDirk, Kammrath
Like Reply
Those last two posts were GOOD posts!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • ClutchDirk
Like Reply