Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bullock Bust Watch
Is it too early? Starting to look a lot like yet another off-season whiff.
Like Reply
I really like the signing so far. I wish he would get a shot at DFS's minutes. He shoots it so much quicker and has good player gravity where the defense pays attention to him. I have liked his D so far. Albeit he needs to shoot way better, but he has proven to be a real NBA shooter more than DFS IMO, so I am confident he will come around.
[-] The following 4 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • embellisher, ReunionMav, Scott41theMavs, sterlingmallory
Like Reply
Too early to say he's a bust but I'm starting to think we overpaid.
Like Reply
Too early
Like Reply
Too early to tell.  I want to give it 30 games for everyone on the roster and then re-evaluate after 60 games.

My initial thoughts is DFS is the better athlete.   More fluid, more sudden.  While Bullock is the better pure shooter and will be more aggressive looking for this shot.  Neither will give you much ball creation.

Hopefully both get into a good groove as the season progresses.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • embellisher, ReunionMav
Like Reply
Definitely too early but he's a very limited player. Treats the ball like a hot potato. 

Seems like Kidd is letting the guys play right now and will hopefully tighten the reigns once he has a better feel for what guys can and can't do.

I think Bullock will be a dangerous weapon once his role is more defined.
[-] The following 2 users Like vfromlmf's post:
  • ballsrchr, Jommybone
Like Reply
I am fine with what I have seen so far, I wish that his defense was a little better. I echo the sentiments of others in that I was surprised that he was not starting and DFS coming off the bench. DFS should be kept at no more than 20-25 minutes in my opinion.
Like Reply
(11-04-2021, 06:08 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Definitely too early but he's a very limited player. Treats the ball like a hot potato. 

This is what I’m seeing. Also looks like he defends the 2 & 3 but not the 1 or 4. So it makes sense to me he’s behind DFS in the lineup.
Like Reply
(11-04-2021, 06:49 PM)MangaAfterDark Wrote: I am fine with what I have seen so far, I wish that his defense was a little better. I echo the sentiments of others in that I was surprised that he was not starting and DFS coming off the bench. DFS should be kept at no more than 20-25 minutes in my opinion.

DFS has the comfort level with Luka. The problem is too many Powell minutes, which is hard to avoid with Maxi and Kleenex Physique being out.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • cow, From Dirk to Luka, michaeltex
Like Reply
(11-04-2021, 06:08 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Treats the ball like a hot potato. 
Is this his style or the emphasis from Kidd on ball movement? 

If the shot's not there, keep it moving, right?
[-] The following 1 user Likes michaeltex's post:
  • embellisher
Like Reply
He’s a back of the rotation piece, 7th or 8th best player on a good roster. No one should have any higher expectation than that.  He’ll be fine in that role.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
If anyone on this roster had consistently looked good, I would be more worried about Bullock. Right now this team is predictable on offense and very boring to watch. I don’t know that I’ve felt that way watching a Mavs team since the 1992-93 season. Maybe something happens to light a fire underneath these guys cuz we can’t keep playing San Antonio, Houston, and Sactown every week.
Like Reply
Bust is probably too harsh of a term.  But he is 30 years old.  He is a 20 minute player that can knock down some 3s and play some defense.  But if you expect him to do more than that, then you are hoping for too much.  He is the type of player that fills out a championship roster.

The Mavs aren't one albeit the league is wide open this year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bayliss's post:
  • haveitall
Like Reply
(11-05-2021, 09:05 AM)michaeltex Wrote: Is this his style or the emphasis from Kidd on ball movement? 

If the shot's not there, keep it moving, right?

I'm talking about when Bullock receives a pass and gives it immediately back as if to say "wtf, don't give it to me, you do something." 

That's not ball movement to create an advantage. It's hot potato. Bullock is what he is. Pass him the ball when he has a shot and he'll take it, otherwise don't give it up unless you want it right back.
Like Reply
I keep seeing people talk about bullocks defense but outside of the one possession against Tatum last night he hasn’t been very good on that end either. At least in my opinion. Maybe the advanced numbers tell a different story. But at the end of the day he’s a 30 year old journeyman that nobody was ever willing to pay to keep around. Add in the fact that he was our big off-season acquisition and I completely understand the frustration.
Like Reply
Add Bullocks to the flawed list.

We have Maxi and DFS who refuse to shoot or are scared to shoot with a hand in their face...now we acquired Bullocks who seems to have same issue.

Even if they are coached to not shoot unless open...we need guys that are capable of hitting shots with hands in their face...or at least arent afraid too.
Like Reply
Knicks so far have dropped from 4th in D last year to 27th in D this year. FN and RB out....Kemba and Fournier in.
Like Reply
(11-08-2021, 09:58 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Knicks so far have dropped from 4th in D last year to 27th in D this year. FN and RB out....Kemba and Fournier in.

Also jumped from 23rd to 4th in offensive rating. Even slightly ahead of the curve compared to last season when it comes to the overall record but in a potentially stronger east that´s probably not enough for home court this season.
Like Reply
I do think the contract is a bit much at 10mm.  I am not sure what people expected.  He will give you 10-12 ppg, make some 3's and play hounding defense.  He also fits really well in the rotation and creates spacing for Luka Brunson and KP down low.  His defense is almost as good as DFS but DFS is not a great shooter and hurts you on offense.  Bullock does not hurt the offense though don't expect him to turn into Tracy McGrady and take people off the dribble.  People have been complaining about lack of secondary playmaking.  That's not the issue the real issue is you have great glue guys (Kleiber, DFS, Bullock, Powel) who cant create offense and depend on Luka, Brunson to set them up.  Small forwards need to be able to make moves on offense, dribble, pass and create, neither DFS nor Bullock, nor Brown can do that.

Look at the playmaking skills from small forwards on top teams:  Phi: Harris, Mia: Butler, Brooklyn: Durant, Chi: Derozan, GSW : Wiggins, UTAH: Bogdanovic, MIL: Middleton, LAL James, PHO: Bridges, Den Porter, LAC : George, Por Powell.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TommyBeer/status/145...6548645902
Like Reply