Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 2.5 pt RAPTOR dogs & 1.0 pt Vegas favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
83.33%
10 83.33%
Spurs
16.67%
2 16.67%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 8: DAL (5-3) @ SAS (2-6) | 109-108 win
Luka looks like he is moving in slow motion. And turning to argue with an official while you are supposed to be playing help D??? Come on, man!
Like Reply
Heading into the 4th....

Luka is again team worst -17 after the team wipes out almost all of SAS's lead immediately when he goes to the bench. When he isn't playing ALL five Mavs players are playing with a collective energy, effort, and scramble that is just not there when he is playing.

Why??

1) Is Luka out of shape?

2) Is Luka nursing a nagging injury? I have seen him on the bench icing his right knee.

3) Is he pouting over something? Change of scheme on O he doesn't like? The Mavs not trading KP and getting him more reliable help?

Honestly my guess would be its a combo of all three. But I am only speculating. But he is a "effort" weak-link EASY.
Like Reply
(11-03-2021, 09:29 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Heading into the 4th....

Luka is again team worst -17 after the team wipes out almost all of SAS's lead immediately when he goes to the bench. When he isn't playing ALL five Mavs players are playing with a collective energy, effort, and scramble that is just not there when he is playing.

Why??

1) Is Luka out of shape?

2) Is Luka nursing a nagging injury? I have seen him on the bench icing his right knee.

3) Is he pouting over something? Change of scheme on O he doesn't like? The Mavs not trading KP and getting him more reliable help?

Honestly my guess would be its a combo of all three. But I am only speculating. But he is a "effort" weak-link EASY.

Yeah something has been off with him this year. Besides the possibilities you mentioned, maybe the foul call changes this year are affecting his aggressiveness? Like he knows if he drives he's not getting the call so he doesn't try as hard. I don't know, but the vibes with this whole team have been really weird so far.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sterlingmallory's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
Teams have figured Luka out on this offense. Just make him work hard, don't allow him to get into his rhythm areas of the floor. He will get frustrated and start forcing bad shots or turn the ball over. And then it helps if he continues to look so slow and out of shape...the guy's daily diet must be horrible
[-] The following 1 user Likes SwisherPrice's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
what the freak is Luka doing.   We are not playing horse out there.  Ugh.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
jeez that was a freaking roller coaster.   I am being tough on Luka but that is because he wears the crown.  You can't give up a three up four at the end of the game.   

Thank goodness for Jalen all game and Boban for stretches.

These team looks off right now.  Lets see if they can work their way through it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
Update my tag to Jalen "Call me Max" Brunson, please.
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • ClutchDirk, Kammrath
Like Reply
I’m going to quit the NBA when he signs with Rich Paul and demands a trade to the Lakers.
Like Reply
Love you, @"Kammrath"
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • ClutchDirk, Kammrath
Like Reply
(11-03-2021, 10:07 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: These team looks off right now.  Lets see if they can work their way through it.

YES, no doubt. Great to be 5-3 when you look so off.

I know I will continue to get crap for this, but it sure looks to me that the "off" is mostly when Luka is playing. I have been REALLY impressed with how the non-Luka lineups have competed and not only held their own, but gotten the team back into games. I sure hope whatever is going on with him goes away SOON and NEVER comes back.
Like Reply
(11-03-2021, 10:26 PM)Kammrath Wrote: YES, no doubt. Great to be 5-3 when you look so off.

I know I will continue to get crap for this, but it sure looks to me that the "off" is mostly when Luka is playing. I have been REALLY impressed with how the non-Luka lineups have competed and not only held their own, but gotten the team back into games. I sure hope whatever is going on with him goes away SOON and NEVER comes back.

Starting with Powell (who shouldn't be playing despite that nice last minute hustle rebound tonight) and DFS who's shot has completely betrayed him can't help.  With how the game is officiated this season, you can bully up on offensive players much more which I'm sure is frustrating for Luka who is already perpetually frustrated.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
(11-03-2021, 10:31 PM)cow Wrote: Starting with Powell (who shouldn't be playing despite that nice last minute hustle rebound tonight) and DFS who's shot has completely betrayed him can't help.  With how the game is officiated this season, you can bully up on offensive players much more which I'm sure is frustrating for Luka who is already perpetually frustrated.

Yes, DP and DFS have not been starter-quality players this year. AND Luka was getting beat up before the rule changes (and was hella frustrated) and now he is just a punching bag.
Like Reply
(11-03-2021, 10:26 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I have been REALLY impressed with how the non-Luka lineups have competed and not only held their own, but gotten the team back into games.

I agree that bench scoring has been a plus. I don't think saying that has to be interpreted as a slight against Luka. Minutes when Luka was on the bench was a problem the past couple of seasons, for sure. It's good that they are trying to fix that. 

Although personally...while I like the idea of Brunson starting in a sense (I think he's a starter level player, and I think they need more playmaking on the court WITH Luka) I preferred things when HE was the bench scoring solution, not Boban.
Like Reply
(11-03-2021, 10:35 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Yes, DP and DFS have not been starter-quality players this year. AND Luka was getting beat up before the rule changes (and was hella frustrated) and now he is just a punching bag.

Which in turn leads to more terrible YOLO shots.  He needs to figure out his conditioning and diet though for real.
Like Reply
(11-03-2021, 10:36 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I preferred things when HE was the bench scoring solution, not Boban.

Did you really not like the Boban + four 3&D wings lineups tonight? I thought they were the best use of Boban yet and hid the defensive deficiency so much better than when Luka is out there with Boban.
Like Reply
(11-03-2021, 10:40 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Did you really not like the Boban + four 3&D wings lineups tonight? I thought they were the best use of Boban yet and hid the defensive deficiency so much better than when Luka is out there with Boban.

To be transparent, my feed cut out at halftime so I missed the entire 2nd half. 

I did not like his stint in the first half much, personally, although I can understand the temptation to play that way on the 2nd night of a b2b.
Like Reply
A little birdie told me that Kristaps has a herniated disc in his back. It will be about pain tolerance for him, on whether or not he can’t play again this season.
Like Reply
One thing the Mavs haven´t solved is the defense/offense balance. Same trend as last season. Go smaller. With single big lineups or another small ballhandler in the lineup (Brunson) and the defense isn´t looking nearly as good. On the other hand the offense is looking way better.
Don´t think there is a lot the coaches can do to change that. They just have to make the best possible pre and in game adjustments. The solution (in my opinion a big starting calliber forward) isn´t on the roster right now.
Maybe a more consistent version of Frank could help a little bit to compensate for the lack of playmaking in the bigger lineups. Lack of interior defense in the smaller lineups.
Like Reply
(11-03-2021, 10:47 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: A little birdie told me that Kristaps has a herniated disc in his back. It will be about pain tolerance for him, on whether or not he can’t play again this season.

Herniated disc was my assumption after the past few missed games.
Like Reply
(11-03-2021, 10:47 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: A little birdie told me that Kristaps has a herniated disc in his back. It will be about pain tolerance for him, on whether or not he can’t play again this season.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Mostly because I don't want to.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • ClutchDirk, Tyler
Like Reply