Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
How is Rick going to manage minutes?
Porzingis is going to start sitting out entire games soon for his scheduled rest program so that alone should boost Powell’s Minutes Per Game significantly. It also wouldn’t hurt to bring him out of games a minute or so earlier here and there when there are opportunities to get away with Powell in the lineup instead. 
KP will hopefully be here for a decade+ with the most important stretches being in the post-season so the more we can rest him during the grind of the regula season, the better. 

Maxi has been excellent thus far but it’s also probably smart to not overexpose him too early and potentially have him flame out so Powell can chip away from a bit of MK’s minutes here and there too as matchups / health dictate. 

This is a great ‘problem’ to have!

(10-31-2019, 09:43 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:
(10-31-2019, 02:27 PM)Benskix2 Wrote: I haven't seen Powell play well enough for long enough to think this is going to be an issue.  He's a backup, so he'll play when other guys need a rest, he hasn't done anything to earn extra minutes just for the sake of getting him on the court IMO.  Guys are going to get banged up and KP will probably sit some back to backs out as the season goes on, so he'll have a change to play, but I don't think we should try and shoehorn him into a roll in the regular rotation when Maxi is playing well.

Mavs aren't paying him like a backup. I think he's the fourth highest paid player right?

I’d say the Mavs have dedicated clear-cut “starter” resources (via salary, draft picks, and other assets) to only 2 players — KP and Luka. 

Lee and Hardaway have relatively large salaries but they’re just part of the price paid to acquire KP. 

Everone else (led by Powell and Wright) are on MLE-ish or less deals which could end up being great values if they (a)become starters, (b)remain solid deals if they’re established rotation players (top 8ish), or at worst © be relatively easy to move / live with on the cap if things go horribly wrong with them.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: How is Rick going to manage minutes? - by Mak - 11-01-2019, 08:39 AM