Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
How is Rick going to manage minutes?
Now that Powell is back, presumably without a minutes restriction going forward - whose minutes is he taking? It's hard to cut anybody's minutes right now.
Like Reply
(10-30-2019, 08:55 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Now that Powell is back, presumably without a minutes restriction going forward - whose minutes is he taking? It's hard to cut anybody's minutes right now.

Boban’s, wait, what?
Like Reply
Rick has a great job with this. He has lots of good options. He like us is waiting to see who earns great option status.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
He is gonna tinker until Christmas and then reducing lineup variety til the allstarbreak after which he will play his chosen successful lineups or continue to experiment if playoffs are out of reach.
Like Reply
I haven't seen Powell play well enough for long enough to think this is going to be an issue.  He's a backup, so he'll play when other guys need a rest, he hasn't done anything to earn extra minutes just for the sake of getting him on the court IMO.  Guys are going to get banged up and KP will probably sit some back to backs out as the season goes on, so he'll have a change to play, but I don't think we should try and shoehorn him into a roll in the regular rotation when Maxi is playing well.
Like Reply
(10-31-2019, 02:27 PM)Benskix2 Wrote: I haven't seen Powell play well enough for long enough to think this is going to be an issue.  He's a backup, so he'll play when other guys need a rest, he hasn't done anything to earn extra minutes just for the sake of getting him on the court IMO.  Guys are going to get banged up and KP will probably sit some back to backs out as the season goes on, so he'll have a change to play, but I don't think we should try and shoehorn him into a roll in the regular rotation when Maxi is playing well.

Mavs aren't paying him like a backup. I think he's the fourth highest paid player right?
Like Reply
(10-31-2019, 02:27 PM)Benskix2 Wrote: I haven't seen Powell play well enough for long enough to think this is going to be an issue.  He's a backup, so he'll play when other guys need a rest, he hasn't done anything to earn extra minutes just for the sake of getting him on the court IMO.  Guys are going to get banged up and KP will probably sit some back to backs out as the season goes on, so he'll have a change to play, but I don't think we should try and shoehorn him into a roll in the regular rotation when Maxi is playing well.

The team (coach, GM, owner) doesn't think like you do about Powell. They view him as a starter, or at the very least, a key contributor. He'll probably be top 5 in mpg based on their view of him.
Like Reply
Dwight is a terrific interior scorer, among the most efficient in the league. Having him roll to the rim makes it much, much tougher to defend all the Mavs' shooters. 

Paired with Dirk the last couple of years, he was a defensive liability. But he was solid when sharing the defensive front court with Maxi. So let’s hope he can do the same with KP. I have very high expectations.
Like Reply
Porzingis is going to start sitting out entire games soon for his scheduled rest program so that alone should boost Powell’s Minutes Per Game significantly. It also wouldn’t hurt to bring him out of games a minute or so earlier here and there when there are opportunities to get away with Powell in the lineup instead. 
KP will hopefully be here for a decade+ with the most important stretches being in the post-season so the more we can rest him during the grind of the regula season, the better. 

Maxi has been excellent thus far but it’s also probably smart to not overexpose him too early and potentially have him flame out so Powell can chip away from a bit of MK’s minutes here and there too as matchups / health dictate. 

This is a great ‘problem’ to have!

(10-31-2019, 09:43 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:

Mavs aren't paying him like a backup. I think he's the fourth highest paid player right?

I’d say the Mavs have dedicated clear-cut “starter” resources (via salary, draft picks, and other assets) to only 2 players — KP and Luka. 

Lee and Hardaway have relatively large salaries but they’re just part of the price paid to acquire KP. 

Everone else (led by Powell and Wright) are on MLE-ish or less deals which could end up being great values if they (a)become starters, (b)remain solid deals if they’re established rotation players (top 8ish), or at worst © be relatively easy to move / live with on the cap if things go horribly wrong with them.
Like Reply
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EITWTAzWkAAuCAv?format=jpg&name=large
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(10-31-2019, 10:23 PM)fifteenth Wrote:

The team (coach, GM, owner) doesn't think like you do about Powell. They view him as a starter, or at the very least, a key contributor. He'll probably be top 5 in mpg based on their view of him.
I'm not sure where you are getting your insight into how the coach views DP, but it has never been reflected in his actual role on the team unless you are counting the games we were actually trying to lose.
Like Reply
(11-01-2019, 12:46 PM)Benskix2 Wrote: I'm not sure where you are getting your insight into how the coach views DP, but it has never been reflected in his actual role on the team unless you are counting the games we were actually trying to lose.

Not going to take time to dig up quotes, but:

-DP was a key rotation piece all last season, including during the portion where we were trying to win. His role was greater during that time than the role you suggest for him.
-The Mavs invested key rotation piece money in DP in the offseason.
-Media members with access to Mavs' staff said all offseason that the Mavs planned to start DP and that they liked the KP/DP skill sets together.
-Mavs' people (including coach, GM, owner) have talked about DP as a key piece all offseason.
-In DP's first game back he started.

That's my evidence. 

Look, I argued a lot for Powell to come off the bench because I wanted a lineup with KP as the only big. But I have to concede that the Mavs clearly aren't thinking like me either.
Like Reply
The team looked notably different with Powell on the floor. 

Derek Harper was effusive during DEN pregame saying Powell played like an All-Star after the break last year. Whether hyperbole or not, it's clear, starting Powell and DFS together gives the first unit a tremendous size and energy boost. I see Powell near the top in minutes, around 24-28 per game, with Kleber in that 18-22 tier along with the rest of the bench.

To complete the starting lineup I think you can mix in Wright, Brunson or Curry to open games with equal effect, depending on matchups.
Like Reply
(11-01-2019, 01:44 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: The team looked notably different with Powell on the floor.

Notably bad. I'm willing to give it more time (not that I have a choice), but soon everyone besides Mak will see the truth. We used to be thinking of every possible way to trade Dwight. Praying he would opt out. 

Don't get me wrong Dwight has improved a lot and is a good, even great bench player, but it seems everyone is pretending he is something he is not.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(11-01-2019, 02:22 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Notably bad

Disagree. The team was -5 with Powell on the floor so the results weren't there. But his hard rolls opened up a new dimension to the offense that I guarantee will be exploited over time. Watch for the double pick & rolls sets. 

Carlisle: "It's been a long road. We know [Powell] is going to help us at both ends. As well as we've played offensively we can always do better. Defensively is where we could use a lift. We need his power, energy & force."
Like Reply
(11-01-2019, 02:38 PM)vfromlmf Wrote:
(11-01-2019, 02:22 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Notably bad

Disagree. The team was -5 with Powell on the floor so the results weren't there. But his hard rolls opened up a new dimension to the offense that I guarantee will be exploited over time. Watch for the double pick & rolls sets. 

Carlisle: "It's been a long road. We know [Powell] is going to help us at both ends. As well as we've played offensively we can always do better. Defensively is where we could use a lift. We need his power, energy & force."

Sometimes RC just wants to troll us. Powell is a mediocre defender at best. No rim protection, average rebounding. Powell is also a really good offensive player in a pick and roll heavy system. Great hands and finishing ability around the rim.
Right now I would not breakup the Maxi/KP duo. Both should start or even more important close games together. But both obviously cannot play 48 minutes and even though DFS or even Jackson could play some minutes at PF there are still at least 20 minutes left for Powell as the backup PF/C.
Like Reply
(11-01-2019, 02:38 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Disagree. The team was -5 with Powell on the floor so the results weren't there. But his hard rolls opened up a new dimension to the offense that I guarantee will be exploited over time. Watch for the double pick & rolls sets. 

I don't care about his one game performance (which was bad) the first game back from injury. What I do care about is what I have seen from him his last 4 seasons in Dallas. His lob threat does not make up for how weak he is as a defender playing against the other teams starters.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(11-01-2019, 02:47 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: I don't care about his one game performance (which was bad)

“Having him out there to start the game, right away, bang, two rolls, two fouls,” Carlisle said. “He makes a lot of great things happen for us.”

“He played great and he gave us a lot of things,” forward Kristaps Porzingis said. 

“Powell continues to do well and the plan going forward is to work his minutes up gradually,” Carlisle said. "He just does things that are unique. His screening, his rolling, his energy, his vibe with the team really adds a lot."

(11-01-2019, 02:45 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Powell is a mediocre defender at best.

Pick-and-roll ball-handlers turned it over 16.9 percent of their possessions when Powell was the big man defender, according to Synergy Sports, which ranked 17th-best among the 57 big men who defended at least 250 of them. 

Powell has recorded a block percentage of at least 1.5 and a steal percentage of at least 1.0 each of the last four seasons, one of just nine bigs in the league who can make the claim. 

Out of the entire 2014 draft class, he ranks third in win shares and tied for third in BPM. 

Out of more than 300 players all-time with 100+ games played taken 45th or later in the draft, Powell ranks third in win shares per 48 minutes.
Like Reply
Powell is one of the best Anthony Davis defenders and draws fouls against him at an exceptional rate as far as I can remember.
Like Reply
How Carlisle manages minutes:
1) Asks Bartlettbear what he would do.
2) Does the exact opposite.
Tongue
Like Reply