Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lakers = Done
I didn't watch the game but heard it wasn't very pretty.    I wouldn't put much stock in one game or really the first month of the season though.    Lebron in year 19 is a little scary.   There will be a time when he is not one of the best players.   When that happens, it typically does not end well for the player or the team.   Until I see it though, I don't want to discount him.   I think Westbrook should help in the regular season as you just wind him up and let him go.  He should help take some of the heavy workload off Lebron during the regular season and should help.   I have trouble seeing how it all works in a playoff series though.    We will see.

The big thing for the Lakers is Anthony Davis needs to have a season where he is one of the top 5 players in the league.   He is definitely capable of this but due to injury and some times taking a backseat to Lebron, it really hasn't happened yet.  Now is the time for him.   

It looks like with some injuries, outside shooting is really limited right now.   This is something to watch, but I think they will be fine in the long run with finding a few guys who are consistent with wide open shots.

With an older team though, injuries are a legit concern.  Especially in the west when you can really drop if your best players miss a few weeks.
Like Reply
LeBron has had a string of injuries the last few years, so it's reasonable to expect him to miss some time. Regardless of who else LAL bring in, he's still the hub everything turns on. How much time is missed and when is key. Apart from his on-court skills, he provides leadership in the locker room. I've never been a big fan since he left CLE to team up in MIA. He seems to say "I'm the greatest, come play for me and get a ring". 

Davis, although not as old, has his own string of injury history. While he is a phenomenal talent, he's never been a leader to motivate the rest of the team. Not sure he wants that spotlight if LeBron isn't there.

Westbrook...gotta love his fire and the energy he brings. History says, when things get tight Russ goes into "hero ball" mode, often with bad results. Not sure if he'll ever fully give that up or how it will play as the season progresses. 

Rondo, Mello and the rest are just end-of-career role players looking to get some jewelry before riding off.

LAL can still be a dangerous team, but I'm not sure they can maintain it over a long season.
Like Reply
One thing we learned is that LBJ is the PG. He had the ball in his hands. Westbrook finished the first half with 2pts and 1ast. Wasn´t getting any touches. I don´t really like him as a high volume creator but he is even worse as an off ball player.
When LeBron is the best shooter in the rotation. Spacing is going to suck. Wouldn´t be suprised if they make another trade. Probably for a stretch big or wing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • Jommybone
Like Reply
(10-21-2021, 09:45 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: One thing we learned is that LBJ is the PG. He had the ball in his hands. Westbrook finished the first half with 2pts and 1ast. Wasn´t getting any touches. I don´t really like him as a high volume creator but he is even worse as an off ball player.

The team would be best by letting RW have the ball quite a bit when he is on the court, but thank God that Lebron's ego and his hunt for all time stats is too big for that. It is going to be a disaster to have RW on the court and not let him have the ball.
[-] The following 3 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • ClutchDirk, Jommybone, Mavsfan12
Like Reply
(10-21-2021, 12:51 PM)Kammrath Wrote: The team would be best by letting RW have the ball quite a bit when he is on the court, but thank God that Lebron's ego and his hunt for all time stats is too big for that. It is going to be a disaster to have RW on the court and not let him have the ball.

I agree with this soooo much.  If I were going to say which team in the league would be the absolute WORST for RW to be on, it is likely the Lakers with the way they have constructed the team.  A team with LBJ, a great low post scorer in AD, and with all of their SIZE.  It minimizes the things he does at an elite level and MAXIMIZES his deficiencies.  And it isn't like their bench unit is better.  Who's going to space the floor for his driving?  Rondo?  its just ridiculous how that team has been assembled.  I imagine that at some point, they are going to ditch the C's and just try to RUN people off the court, because until the wheels fall off, that is the best open court team in the league.  Problem is that they are old and injury prone.  But RW off ball is just a joke.  Opposing teams have been begging him to shoot for years.

I see a huge opportunity on this team for Ellington/Monk/Dunn.  But life isn't all roses if you are the only guy on the court who can shoot.  But if the plan is to turn LBJ into a floor spacer?  RW as an addition is a subtraction.  Idk.  I guess we will see how this plays out.  I don't get it though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavsfan12's post:
  • Jommybone
Like Reply
(10-21-2021, 01:16 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: I agree with this soooo much.  If I were going to say which team in the league would be the absolute WORST for RW to be on, it is likely the Lakers with the way they have constructed the team.  A team with LBJ, a great low post scorer in AD, and with all of their SIZE.  It minimizes the things he does at an elite level and MAXIMIZES his deficiencies.  And it isn't like their bench unit is better.  Who's going to space the floor for his driving?  Rondo?  its just ridiculous how that team has been assembled.  I imagine that at some point, they are going to ditch the C's and just try to RUN people off the court, because until the wheels fall off, that is the best open court team in the league.  Problem is that they are old and injury prone.  But RW off ball is just a joke.  Opposing teams have been begging him to shoot for years.

I see a huge opportunity on this team for Ellington/Monk/Dunn.  But life isn't all roses if you are the only guy on the court who can shoot.  But if the plan is to turn LBJ into a floor spacer?  RW as an addition is a subtraction.  Idk.  I guess we will see how this plays out.  I don't get it though.

Absolutely. Lebron is one of the greatest decision makers and creators in NBA history. Take the ball out of his hands to maximize a worse player that is completly useless without the ball in his hands and the team will be worse. Not doing it turns a max salary player into a liablity. No idea how they can fix this. Hopefully they can´t.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • ClutchDirk, Jommybone
Like Reply
(10-21-2021, 01:16 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: But if the plan is to turn LBJ into a floor spacer?
Can you just see LBJ standing in the corner waiting/hoping someone throws him a pass? That would last maybe 2 possessions.
Like Reply
(10-21-2021, 01:38 PM)michaeltex Wrote: Can you just see LBJ standing in the corner waiting/hoping someone throws him a pass? That would last maybe 2 possessions.

Uh...  Did you watch the game?  LBJ took over 10 3's...  It was bizarre.  He hit a bunch too.  Maybe he saw this coming and has prepared to fill the void.  I would respect him for that, tbh.
Like Reply
(10-21-2021, 01:37 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: No idea how they can fix this. Hopefully they can´t.

It fixes if Westbrook develops a consistent 3.

Hard to imagine he suddenly gets one after 13 years in the league so I think we're safe.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(10-21-2021, 01:38 PM)michaeltex Wrote: Can you just see LBJ standing in the corner waiting/hoping someone throws him a pass? That would last maybe 2 possessions.
Coaches would be fired and teammates traded if that happened...getting RW was a protect LeBron's Legacy by getting another playmaker move...the Lakes will be another team that is gutted of assets and having to do some hardcore tanking and the stranded teammates will be slaughtered on court...

Gotta be better than MJ and his network of butt kissers will do anything they can to make sure of it...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
[-] The following 1 user Likes ClutchDirk's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
Talented players but no floor spacing and couldn’t hit shots. Sounds familiar.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/ItaloSantana_11/stat...7913921541
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply