Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WAIVER: Tyrell Terry waived by DAL
(10-17-2021, 02:18 PM)Jommybone Wrote: How is this thread still alive? Why is it stuck up top on the board? What has TT ever done to deserve this much attention?

Terry doesn't.  MBT ineptitude does.
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • BasketballJones41, MFFL
Like Reply
I don't know. It's hard to blame the Mavs here. 

Terry all but had a mental issue that could be described as a breakdown that derailed his rookie season. Now before his 2nd year gets off and running he has to be away from the team again for reasons unknown.

It's hard to predict how players will react to being thrusted into the NBA lifestyle. Some thrive under the pressure, others struggle. Terry was the latter. I rewatched a lot of his college games recently and the dude could flat out play. He had shades of Mark Price/Seth Curry all over him with how he shot and ran off screens. The talent was there it just didn't work out. Happens all the time with 2nd round picks. 

Disappointing but I wouldn't describe the choice to take him as inept. I will say the Mavs played that draft too safe. It was obvious to me their first choice was Haliburton and they did try to trade up for him, but didn't want to overpay. Hindsight tells us they should've just made the deal.

They seemed to have wanted Bane as well, given all the smoke about him to Dallas before the draft. I think they were hoping he fell to them at 31, but Memphis swooped in at 30 by making an aggressive trade, punishing the Mavs for playing it passive. 

I think the real lesson here is if you believe in the guy and think he'll be a difference maker, shoot first and figure it out later. Hopefully Nico is better than Donnie in that regard.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(10-17-2021, 10:23 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I wouldn't describe the choice to take him as inept. I will say the Mavs played that draft too safe. It was obvious to me their first choice was Haliburton and they did try to trade up for him, but didn't want to overpay. Hindsight tells us they should've just made the deal.

I think all the picks for the Mavs in that draft are defensible with what we knew going into the draft. I did NOT like Green pick because of his offensive woes. I did NOT like the Terry pick because of his size. I LOVED the Bey pick. Bey clearly did not have the head/work ethic to be an NBA player. Green is a better defender than I thought with good offensive instincts, so the jury is still out on him. Terry also did not have the head to be an NBA player. Off the court evals MIGHT have helped with the Bey and Terry evals, but you never know, that stuff can be hard to pinpoint.
Like Reply
(10-16-2021, 09:26 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: Dallas also had a #40 2nd rd pick and drafted Mark Acres (ORU/Tulsa)
The complaining about that draft was more about who the Mavs passed on with each pick -

Schrempf not Malone
Wennington and Blab over Joe Dumars, Terry Porter, AC Greed (Solid Gold) if you remember RH.
Acres over Hot Rod Williams and Gerald Wilkins

Hindsight is great. But if everyone had the same ability to know who would be the best players out of a draft then those players would not have been available to us anyway
Like Reply
(10-18-2021, 05:24 PM)MFFL Wrote: Hindsight is great. But if everyone had the same ability to know who would be the best players out of a draft then those players would not have been available to us anyway

As they say, Hindsight is 20:20. By definition, you don't have that beforehand when the decision is made.

But that's the only way to rate the success of a draft or a draft choice. 

Classic example was a lot of people thinking Ryan Leaf was a better option than Peyton Manning.

And, obviously, nobody thought Tom Brady was starting QB material. Or Tony Romo. Or even Dak, really.

Recognition that drafting is something of a crap shoot is why there are rookie salary scales. That way the owners protect themselves from paying million$ to busted draftees.
[-] The following 1 user Likes michaeltex's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
Is there really any team in the NBA that is "great" at drafting? And is that really even a fair question given all of the front office, scouting, coaching and player turnover every year? Huge mistakes are made every year by every team and by every GM. But it's not lost on me that Luka might be the best pick in the last decade.
Like Reply
Doesnt Philly Draft well?
Like Reply
I think I remember somebody saying PHX wanted to draft Ayton because he was from the US and more known and marketable than someone like Luka.

So maybe some of the decisions go beyond on-court performance.
Like Reply
(10-19-2021, 11:43 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: Is there really any team in the NBA that is "great" at drafting? And is that really even a fair question given all of the front office, scouting, coaching and player turnover every year? Huge mistakes are made every year by every team and by every GM. But it's not lost on me that Luka might be the best pick in the last decade.

San Antonio comes to mind, they seem to find guys in the late first round where they typically draft for the past 25 years, and do well in the second round too. But even they have their share of bad picks.
Like Reply
I've said it million times before the draft, Saddiq Bey and Desmond Bane. These mistakes in drafting could likely cost us a championship or more. I don't like what I see from Green. As a periferal role player, maybe yes. But I dont see him making this team a champion. You need to be a pure scoring machine in modern game, otherwise you are liability and the defenses take advantage of that in playoffs. And you need to have defensive potential. And what angers me is that Bey and Bane have both. They play outstanding basketball. Around Luka they would be even better. We need to do better in drafts.
[-] The following 1 user Likes burekemde's post:
  • wmffl87
Like Reply
I just talked to this guy from the future. He said that right after the Mavs won the championship that folks on the internet complained that.... 

1) it would have been easier if the Mavs had drafted better and that 

2) the Mavs were surely not going to win another one because the Mavs suck at drafting and have a coach that failed at coaching before he came to the mavs and would would soon revert to sucking as a coach, and that 

3) the Mavs were going to suck even more now because winning a championship and sucking at drafting meant that the Mavs couldn't sign all their players or add star free agents, and 

4) that Dwight Powell's championship series leading +/- was a fluke and that he is holding the team back, and that the F.O. were idiots because they'd surely resign him based on his great playoff run, which was a fluke.
[-] The following 3 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, embellisher, Tyler
Like Reply
(10-19-2021, 02:38 PM)fifteenth Wrote: 4) that Dwight Powell's championship series leading +/- was a fluke and that he is holding the team back, and that the F.O. were idiots because they'd surely resign him based on his great playoff run, which was a fluke.

Considering we aren't winning a championship until 2045, it's either impressive that Dwight Powell is in the league or that his son is that much better than his father.
Like Reply
(10-19-2021, 01:00 PM)michaeltex Wrote: I think I remember somebody saying PHX wanted to draft Ayton because he was from the US and more known and marketable than someone like Luka.

So maybe some of the decisions go beyond on-court performance.

Because he went to school at Arizona. Local and also think Sarver is a Wildcat. 

Aston is from the Bahamas I think.
Like Reply
(10-19-2021, 03:38 PM)wmffl87 Wrote: Because he went to school at Arizona. Local and also think Sarver is a Wildcat. 

Aston is from the Bahamas I think.

I think you are correct. Old age make memories get fuzzy sometimes.

Somehow both PHX and SAC convinced themselves that Luka wasn't worth the early picks, despite all the Luka connections in PHX and SAC.

Gotta had it to Donnie. Whatever you didn't like about him, he backed up his conviction in this case with a deal that gave use the most dynamic player in the game.
  • embellisher
Like Reply
(10-19-2021, 02:21 PM)burekemde Wrote: I've said it million times before the draft, Saddiq Bey and Desmond Bane. These mistakes in drafting could likely cost us a championship or more. I don't like what I see from Green. As a periferal role player, maybe yes. But I dont see him making this team a champion. You need to be a pure scoring machine in modern game, otherwise you are liability and the defenses take advantage of that in playoffs. And you need to have defensive potential. And what angers me is that Bey and Bane have both. They play outstanding basketball. Around Luka they would be even better. We need to do better in drafts.

I forget our draft situation this next draft...do we have any assets?

Anyway...if we do...are you able to replicate the Bey and Banes picks this next year?

I give you props on those two guys...they were gettable where Mavs drafted.   Would you be able to do it again is the question?
Like Reply
(10-19-2021, 02:38 PM)fifteenth Wrote: 4) that Dwight Powell's championship series leading +/- was a fluke and that he is holding the team back, and that the F.O. were idiots because they'd surely resign him based on his great playoff run, which was a fluke.

Love it.  Is he extension eligible this summer?  Too lazy to look.

Be Prepared!

Edit:  Did you happen to ask about SPY, AMZN, Bitcoin or anything like that?  How do the Cowboys do this season?
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • embellisher
Like Reply
(10-19-2021, 04:05 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: I forget our draft situation this next draft...do we have any assets?

Anyway...if we do...are you able to replicate the Bey and Banes picks this next year?

I give you props on those two guys...they were gettable where Mavs drafted.   Would you be able to do it again is the question?

Bane was not. Memphis traded one pick ahead of Dallas to snag him, if memory serves, possibly because the Mavs were about to pick him. 

I suppose you could make the argument that Dallas should have traded up one spot in order to prevent that deal once they heard the pick was available, but we can't know for sure if that was even possible.

SBey at 18 was absolutely what they should have done though, in my opinion.
Like Reply
(10-19-2021, 04:05 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: I forget our draft situation this next draft...do we have any assets?

Ill do my best and try to predict again. Last draft i didnt had the time to put in the effort. But good point. Im probably not going to repeat that next time and will likely make mistakes as well. But. Dallas needs to do better than you and me. Far better. Me i have another full time job. Mavericks should do better - thats the only thing they earn money for is to look at tapes and judge these young players and make good decisions. Credit for them for Luka and JB picks. But since then its been horrible team building. The only thing that keeps Mavs as a strong team is Lukas brilliance. But outside of that suns and hawks have been better to build their respective teams..lets see. Luka and a healthy roster can get us into playoffs every year but then wr just need better players to go all the way. Or some Luka miracle.
Like Reply
I guess you can argue it however you please, but I'm happy having Luka. I'm not sure if Trae would have flourished under Carlisle.

The differences between ATL and DAL is that the Mavs got Luka for a pick swap + 1FRP. ATL got Trae for the pick swap and added a FRP the next season, so Luka cost 2FRP while Trae cost 0.5 FRP. 

In addition DAL gave up DSJ (a FRP) + 2FRP for KP (a FRP), THJ (a FRP), Courtney Lee (a FRP) and Burke (a FRP).

Giving up 3 of 5 future FRPs doesn't leave much opportunity for team building via draft, especially when you pick as poorly as last year. So we're back to FAs and trades and hoping the new leadership is better at talent evaluation than the old one.
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(10-20-2021, 01:26 PM)burekemde Wrote: Ill do my best and try to predict again. Last draft i didnt had the time to put in the effort. But good point. Im probably not going to repeat that next time and will likely make mistakes as well. But. Dallas needs to do better than you and me. Far better. Me i have another full time job. Mavericks should do better - thats the only thing they earn money for is to look at tapes and judge these young players and make good decisions. Credit for them for Luka and JB picks. But since then its been horrible team building. The only thing that keeps Mavs as a strong team is Lukas brilliance. But outside of that suns and hawks have been better to build their respective teams..lets see. Luka and a healthy roster can get us into playoffs every year but then wr just need better players to go all the way. Or some Luka miracle.

How did you do in years prior to last year?
Like Reply