Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WAIVER: Tyrell Terry waived by DAL
(10-15-2021, 10:41 PM)Tyler Wrote: It's a new leadership group with no sacred cows. Cut bait and get better.

Yep, the worst thing you could do is just spin your wheels trying to make an NBA player out of someone who doesn't have "it."
Like Reply
(10-15-2021, 10:25 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: What an epic bust that draft turned out to be. Unbelievable. Or I guess very easy to believe, since it was the Mavs.

The only one that surpassed it was 1985 with 3 FRPs that ends up with Schrempf, Wennington and Blab.
Like Reply
(10-15-2021, 11:07 PM)michaeltex Wrote: The only one that surpassed it was 1985 with 3 FRPs that ends up with Schrempf, Wennington and Blab.

Schrempf played in 1136 NBA games and averaged almost 14 ppg

Wennington played in 720 NBA games

Blab played in 235 NBA games

That's actually a decent draft class
Like Reply
https://www.facebook.com/ringer/videos/t...9731744740

After their friend Bob made the pick, KOC and Simmons dropped this dime.
Like Reply
Kevin O'Conner is by far the worst NBA "analyst."  He's like if some random redditor started a website and youtube channel and declared himself an NBA analyst.

Didnt he have Killian Hayes as the #1 player in the draft?
Like Reply
(10-15-2021, 10:25 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: What an epic bust that draft turned out to be. Unbelievable. Or I guess very easy to believe, since it was the Mavs.

Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan is an epic bust.  Missing on your second round picks is just a missed pick.  The second round is just a blind dart throw. Missing on Green would be a minor setback, but it’s still too early to call that one.
[-] The following 2 users Like ThisIStheYear's post:
  • mvossman, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(10-15-2021, 10:25 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: What an epic bust that draft turned out to be

Not sure "epic bust" is an appropriate phrase about any draft where #18 is the highest pick you have. Just my two cents.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
I think we all saw this coming. I'm not much of a Frank fan and I'd still rather have him than Terry. I was hoping Terry would work out better with that name.
Like Reply
(10-16-2021, 08:13 AM)MrGoat Wrote: I'm not much of a Frank fan

[Image: 200.gif]
Like Reply
Potential means nothing if you can't even attend practice.  I wish the best for Terry, but he got paid to get better for basically a year, then got hurt in the only game he played in, got well, and then had to go home for personal reasons.

He was a long shot, and for long shots, everything has to go right early, not the majority of things go wrong early.

Best of wishes to him and great health, but he didn't need to be holding a roster spot from home.  No symbolic empty chairs, the Mavs were more than gracious and understanding during his tenure here.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
[-] The following 1 user Likes TXBamanut's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
It is too bad, but I think it was the right decision.    It is a prove me league....especially as a second rounder.    I thought Burke has looked good in preseason and Moses shows some nice NBA traits.   

I liked the kid and want to root for him.  I was turned off how far away he looked in the summer league this year.    I was hoping both him and Hinton would come out spitting fire, but both looked not good.   I may have been wrong on both.    

Just basketball discussion, it will be interesting to see what happens with Terry.  First, he needs to get healthy and he needs a lot of playing time.   He pretty much has had a year and half with very little basketball.    That is really tough.    I am really curious to see where he winds up.
Like Reply
(10-15-2021, 10:04 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: I like the addition of Frank...  I am disappointed in the unrealized potential of TT, and possibly seeing him eventually thrive elsewhere.  Dude could have been special.  Now he is in the wind.  Ugh.  Glad we kept Moses, too.  I thought it was Burke to be jettisoned.  Hope he proves me wrong this year.  Not holding my breath.  

Again, I don't see the point of having the likes of TB on the roster - below replacement level vets who add very little to move the needle.  Take some flyers on younger players with potential.

Im not trying to be negative towards you or Ty Terry by any means...

But could you please elaborate on the above bolded comment?

Im sorry if I am zeroing in on one comment and taking it too seriously, btw.

What do you mean by "could"?  Are you just saying that as a mathematical fact...as anyone has a sliver of a chance to be special at basketball?

What do you mean by "special"?   And what brings you to the "special" conclusion?

What kind of time frame are you thinking or were you thinking for "could' and "special" to become reality?

I am a complete casual...but Terry does not look like an NBA player to me at all.   From the limited minutes I saw him...the only thing I can say that I think he MIGHT have been special at was driving to the lane and after jumping towards the basket for a score...if there was traffic or defenders....he seemed decent at adjusting mid air and ducking under defender arms to try and score.  I dont know what you call that type of contorting play...but he was by no means Prime Derrick Rose or Ja Morant(both players do that mid air contorting for buckets).   

Anyway...the above badly described play was the only thing I saw Terry do a few times that he looked like he could be "special' at.   Or above average at.

I saw him pick up his dribble so so many times and kill a possession,  never saw him hit NBA threes at a special clip...not even good,  never saw special passing,  nothing special dribbling, never saw special IQ, never witnessed an above average or special feel for the game.

Are you suggesting he was used wrong here and he could have been special as a catch and shoot player?   Are you suggesting he is a few years away?  If so...a few years away from what exactly?
[-] The following 1 user Likes dynamicalVoid's post:
  • embellisher
Like Reply
(10-16-2021, 08:29 AM)TXBamanut Wrote: Potential means nothing if you can't even attend practice.  I wish the best for Terry, but he got paid to get better for basically a year, then got hurt in the only game he played in, got well, and then had to go home for personal reasons.

He was a long shot, and for long shots, everything has to go right early, not the majority of things go wrong early.

Best of wishes to him and great health, but he didn't need to be holding a roster spot from home.  No symbolic empty chairs, the Mavs were more than gracious and understanding during his tenure here.

I get that I will never know about the behind scenes issues with Terry...

But the "Family" excuse seems like total made up BS to me.

He has the money to move his family close to him if need be.   Is he Amish and his family is calling him home and he is forgoing a rare opportunity of good money and lifestyle to be with Family that wont leave where they have already laid down roots?   Seems like made up BS to me.   He cant fly home often...cant fly his fam out often?   They refuse to leave their home town and want him home?   Just seems really really cheesy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dynamicalVoid's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(10-16-2021, 12:00 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Im not trying to be negative towards you or Ty Terry by any means...

But could you please elaborate on the above bolded comment?

Im sorry if I am zeroing in on one comment and taking it too seriously, btw.

What do you mean by "could"?  Are you just saying that as a mathematical fact...as anyone has a sliver of a chance to be special at basketball?

What do you mean by "special"?   And what brings you to the "special" conclusion?

What kind of time frame are you thinking or were you thinking for "could' and "special" to become reality?

I am a complete casual...but Terry does not look like an NBA player to me at all.   From the limited minutes I saw him...the only thing I can say that I think he MIGHT have been special at was driving to the lane and after jumping towards the basket for a score...if there was traffic or defenders....he seemed decent at adjusting mid air and ducking under defender arms to try and score.  I dont know what you call that type of contorting play...but he was by no means Prime Derrick Rose or Ja Morant(both players do that mid air contorting for buckets).   

Anyway...the above badly described play was the only thing I saw Terry do a few times that he looked like he could be "special' at.   Or above average at.

I saw him pick up his dribble so so many times and kill a possession,  never saw him hit NBA threes at a special clip...not even good,  never saw special passing,  nothing special dribbling, never saw special IQ, never witnessed an above average or special feel for the game.

Are you suggesting he was used wrong here and he could have been special as a catch and shoot player?   Are you suggesting he is a few years away?  If so...a few years away from what exactly?

As a draft prospect, he was widely listed as the best shooter in the draft.  He shot about 41% from 3 at Stanford.  He had good court vision, passing, handles, and generally was considered a good PG prospect, that was young and needed to work on his body.  Many prognosticators (and fans) saw him in the line of the Curry/Young style of player.  While I wasn't quite that high on him, I thought he would be a six man type player for us to step into the role next season if we didn't want to pay brunson.  As a second round pick, with plus upside, that is a special pick to me.  The thing that sucks is that he had some mental issues where his talent was never able to play out here.  He opened summer league with a strong game and I generally thought he was going to show his talent this year.  He got injured in the second game, and then NOTHING...  Like I posted earlier, the Mavs have a better understanding of where he is, mentally, than we do.  If they cut him, he was not worth it.  

I am disappointed, and am just waiting for him to sign somewhere else and make us look silly.  I hope he turns out well, but yet again, it will be short sighted from the mavs.  Or he will disappear and they will be validated.  Forgive me if I am not all too trusting of the MBT on their player development at this point.  I just feel he was worth waiting for.  I could certainly be wrong - particularly with as little info as we have on his situation.  I wish him well.
Like Reply

Plus we lost God King Curry.
Like Reply
(10-15-2021, 11:07 PM)michaeltex Wrote: The only one that surpassed it was 1985 with 3 FRPs that ends up with Schrempf, Wennington and Blab.

(10-15-2021, 11:42 PM)MFFL Wrote: Schrempf played in 1136 NBA games and averaged almost 14 ppg

Wennington played in 720 NBA games

Blab played in 235 NBA games

That's actually a decent draft class

Dallas also had a #40 2nd rd pick and drafted Mark Acres (ORU/Tulsa)
The complaining about that draft was more about who the Mavs passed on with each pick -

Schrempf not Malone
Wennington and Blab over Joe Dumars, Terry Porter, AC Greed (Solid Gold) if you remember RH.
Acres over Hot Rod Williams and Gerald Wilkins
Like Reply
(10-15-2021, 10:04 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: I like the addition of Frank...  I am disappointed in the unrealized potential of TT, and possibly seeing him eventually thrive elsewhere.  Dude could have been special.  Now he is in the wind.  Ugh.  Glad we kept Moses, too.  I thought it was Burke to be jettisoned.  Hope he proves me wrong this year.  Not holding my breath.  

Again, I don't see the point of having the likes of TB on the roster - below replacement level vets who add very little to move the needle.  Take some flyers on younger players with potential.

There's a very simple reason the Mavs kept Burke over Terry. Burke, despite his warts, is a proven NBA player. Terry is not. He's barely played in over a year and still not available. 

Imagine this. Brunson gets hurt ten games into the season, and is out for the year. Either Luka plays 48 mpg for the rest of the year and the playoffs, or we stake our playoff aspirations on a guy who has  never played a meaningful NBA minute playing PG for 10 - 15 mpg and leading our bench unit. Now imagine him playing 10 mpg in a playoff series. 

Burke has his flaws. But he can be thrust into a 10 - 20 mpg role if needed, and will sit on the end of the bench and root for his teammates without making a big deal out of the fact that he's not playing much.

I fully expect him to be gone by the TDL, as soon as we either include him in a deal, or cut him to make room for a better replacement (Dragic?  Angel)

The fact that he is on a small contract, and has NBA experience, makes him an easy throw-in to get a deal done.
Like Reply
(10-15-2021, 09:57 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Ntilikina is 100% the right choice 100 times out of 100 over Tyrell Terry. 

FN has an NBA skill (defense) and size, while having promise with his shot and playmaking.

Not only is Frankie the right choice over Terry, but if Green doesn't at least develop a three point shot pretty soon, Frankie makes him redundant.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/CBAMavs/status/1449696054593527818
Like Reply
How is this thread still alive? Why is it stuck up top on the board? What has TT ever done to deserve this much attention?
Like Reply