Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WAIVER: Tyrell Terry waived by DAL
(10-20-2021, 02:32 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: How did you do in years prior to last year?

I started watching the NBA after Luka got drafted. No record prior to that.

I fully agree that if I do find time to watch the prospects and attempt predict for coming drafts, this might go worse than the Mavs decisions. I dont believe I can do that with full consistency. That one draft was just youtubing these prospects in that draft. Its clear after watching a few minutes of Saddiq Bey and Bane that they have the bbIQ and they can play. I dont think you need too much evidence. Its clear from already a small sample size how a player moves and adapts to different situations.

Sometimes I also wonder if you look too much time at a prospect (As the mavs do) that you can overthink things and put stats into too much context, it might be better to leave the stats out. You might start likely someones game initially, and that could turn into dislike if you watch too much and focus on some little important details that they might not be good at. I wonder if that is where it goes wrong for these franchises sometimes. Yes Banes wingspan is not huge. But just look how smart he plays and how he shoots. Its obvious the guy can just play this game. Its also clear he is not a superstar, but he can play.

Many times one perhaps might also get distracted by potential and physicality of players. You forget to look at the player and if they can actually play the game.

I think a key parameter is passing skills and situations where you come out of the usual gameplan, and looking how the player deals with these situations. Look at Luka when he gets in these special case situations under ton of pressure, on one leg and being fouled, how he naturally adapts to these crazy situations. Thats just insane bbIQ. Thats what these situations tell. Are they born with ability to solve these situations naturally? Whenever a prospect can do that and pass the ball well, you deal with someone with bbIQ to play and natural basketball ability. There are many other things to look out for, but in general, that's already a great start. Its clear some players will not have that but will develop it. But Bane and Bey were really safe picks, they had these skills already. Both even have good defensive ability and potential. We would be much stronger team with both of them playing. They may even be starter potential on this current roster, which is crazy to think about. Saddiq can match DFS for sure and is far better on offense but DFS might be a bit better defender although that is not too clear perhaps, and Bane is arguably even better and more consistent shooter than THJ. THJ might have slightly more playmaking ability.

No matter how you turn it, the Mavs need to add more pieces around Luka. Cant waste more chances, otherwise, it will get too late. The thing with Luka is he is a huge winner. I cant see him accepting loosing all his career. MJ was pushing his teammates in training to achieve that winning mentality. Others leave to other teams when there is no more hope left (Lebron etc.). I do not know which type Luka will end up being, but one thing is clear, he will find a way to win and win several if not many times. All this will be easier if Mavs build the team better.
[-] The following 1 user Likes burekemde's post:
  • dynamicalVoid
Like Reply
(10-20-2021, 04:52 PM)burekemde Wrote: I started watching the NBA after Luka got drafted. No record prior to that.

I fully agree that if I do find time to watch the prospects and attempt predict for coming drafts, this might go worse than the Mavs decisions. I dont believe I can do that with full consistency. That one draft was just youtubing these prospects in that draft. Its clear after watching a few minutes of Saddiq Bey and Bane that they have the bbIQ and they can play. I dont think you need too much evidence. Its clear from already a small sample size how a player moves and adapts to different situations.

Sometimes I also wonder if you look too much time at a prospect (As the mavs do) that you can overthink things and put stats into too much context, it might be better to leave the stats out. You might start likely someones game initially, and that could turn into dislike if you watch too much and focus on some little important details that they might not be good at. I wonder if that is where it goes wrong for these franchises sometimes. Yes Banes wingspan is not huge. But just look how smart he plays and how he shoots. Its obvious the guy can just play this game. Its also clear he is not a superstar, but he can play.

Many times one perhaps might also get distracted by potential and physicality of players. You forget to look at the player and if they can actually play the game.

I think a key parameter is passing skills and situations where you come out of the usual gameplan, and looking how the player deals with these situations. Look at Luka when he gets in these special case situations under ton of pressure, on one leg and being fouled, how he naturally adapts to these crazy situations. Thats just insane bbIQ. Thats what these situations tell.  Are they born with ability to solve these situations naturally?  Whenever a prospect can do that and pass the ball well, you deal with someone with bbIQ to play and natural basketball ability.  There are many other things to look out for, but in general, that's already a great start. Its clear some players will not have that but will develop it. But Bane and Bey were really safe picks, they had these skills already. Both even have good defensive ability and potential. We would be much stronger team with both of them playing. They may even be starter potential on this current roster, which is crazy to think about. Saddiq can match DFS for sure and is far better on offense but DFS might be a bit better defender although that is not too clear perhaps, and Bane is arguably even better and more consistent shooter than THJ. THJ might have slightly more playmaking ability.

No matter how you turn it, the Mavs need to add more pieces around Luka. Cant waste more chances, otherwise, it will get too late. The thing with Luka is he is a huge winner. I cant see him accepting loosing all his career. MJ was pushing his teammates in training to achieve that winning mentality. Others leave to other teams when there is no more hope left (Lebron etc.). I do not know which type Luka will end up being, but one thing is clear, he will find a way to win and win several if not many times. All this will be easier if Mavs build the team better.

I am completely in tune with your thinking.   Look for basketball players first...then if you are looking for a specific skill...pick from the list of guys you have identified as basketball players.   Dont choose a pick and roll big that sets good screens if he cant play basketball well but only sets strong screens.  

Basketball players first...then choose the guys that might fill your need from that group.

Give me a 6'4 basketball player over a 6'8 with potential.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dynamicalVoid's post:
  • burekemde
Like Reply