Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PRESEASON GAME 4: DAL (4-0) @ MIL (1-3) | 114-103 win
https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/14...2548108288
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/NickVanExit/status/1...2623628292
Like Reply
On their way to the first undefeated season in franchise history.

https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/1449198829216182273
Like Reply
I'm really shocked at how little buzz this team has generated on this board over these four preseason games.

It's confusing.
[-] The following 4 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • ClutchDirk, fifteenth, Mavsfan12, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(10-15-2021, 10:05 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I'm really shocked at how little buzz this team has generated on this board over these four preseason games.

It's confusing.

Nobody can watch the games. There's no hehe.

I haven't seen a single minute of any game, so far.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(10-15-2021, 10:05 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I'm really shocked at how little buzz this team has generated on this board over these four preseason games.

It's confusing.

Team looks good, interesting new players, and a new coaching/play style.  Lot's to be excited about!
[-] The following 3 users Like Mavsfan12's post:
  • dmavs4life03, fifteenth, Kammrath
Like Reply
(10-15-2021, 10:09 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Nobody can watch the games. There's no hehe.

Oh, gotcha. That sucks.
Like Reply
(10-15-2021, 10:09 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Nobody can watch the games. There's no hehe.

I’ve watched the replays of the first three on NBA league pass if you just want to watch the team and don’t care if it is live.

I’ve been really pumped.  Guys look sharp and aggressive. Luka is giving the ball up early in the shot clock and getting others involved.  KP is often the first guy down court and goes straight to the post. He is active on D again.  Powell is bouncy again. Kidd is coaching but letting the guys play.  Everyone and everything looks more cohesive than it has in a long time.

It’s easy for me to get excited, my cup is always half full even when it’s empty.  That being said I’m calling it now - 4 seed or higher this year!
[-] The following 2 users Like soog's post:
  • fifteenth, Kammrath
Like Reply
With ya, soog. They’ve been impressive. The defense has been more intense and more effective than any Mavs team since, well, the end of Kidd’s previous tenure here.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jommybone's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(10-15-2021, 08:30 PM)Kammrath Wrote: If Frankie gets cut....I quit!

Kidding.....sort of.

We had to cut Terry so we could be sure and keep Kam!
[-] The following 3 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • Kammrath, Mapka, Mavsfan12
Like Reply
(10-15-2021, 11:52 PM)fifteenth Wrote: We had to cut Terry so we could be sure and keep Kam!

I've coveted Ntilikina's alleged wingspan since the DSJ trial period.  His highlights and my belief in muscle memory give me hope.  Powell is the one growing on me.  Am I the only one who thinks Brunson has a certain swagger?  OK.  I know it's too early and Kidd is a twice-failed coach destined to be fired midseason, by why in the Hell does this bunch seem so together?  Are they practicing and faking bench camaraderie for the cameras of NBA TV?  Is the Slovenian assistant a master at psychological manipulation?
[-] The following 2 users Like WildArkieBoy's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, HIMAV
Like Reply

It's confusing.

Preseason has absolutely zero meaning other than getting through it healthy.  Both the Suns and Bucks were winless in preseason last year.
Like Reply
(10-16-2021, 01:33 AM)wmffl87 Wrote: Preseason has absolutely zero meaning

Preseason is meaningless from a win/loss perspective but 100% NOT meaningless when you look under the hood.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(10-16-2021, 12:58 AM)WildArkieBoy Wrote:   OK.  I know it's too early and Kidd is a twice-failed coach destined to be fired midseason, by why in the Hell does this bunch seem so together?  Are they practicing and faking bench camaraderie for the cameras of NBA TV?  Is the Slovenian assistant a master at psychological manipulation?

Don´t think you need to be a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

Shame we´ll never know whether Carlisle saw the firing on the wall or Cuban was once again completely oblivious to what´s going on in his franchise and would have continued with this toxic environment.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(10-16-2021, 12:58 AM)WildArkieBoy Wrote: why in the Hell does this bunch seem so together?

What I think we can say confidently based on what has been reported:

1) RC was not liked in the building, especially by KP and Luka. There is probably a LOT down this rabbit hole, but going further would just be speculation.

2) Kidd was REALLY controlling and hard on his players in BRK/MIL but all the signs point to him having learned big time from those failures and learned to be way more laid back and less controlling under Vogel. Shoot Kidd went to Luka/THJ/KP to ask about who they thought should start with them! Kidd is collaborating with players and coaches so far and that helps big time with getting "buy in."

3) Dudley is a lockerroom guru.

4) Boban is a chemistry savant.

5) Igor is a known safe place for Luka.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • Mavsfan12, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
I was thrilled by the performance last night....although I believe the Mavs youngsters last year had a nice performance against the Bucks in the preseason in 2020. 

I may be wrong, but I don't recall Kidd calling a timeout last night.   It was a meaningless game, but I hope at times he lets the team play through their problems at times.  Phil Jackson always did this and I believe in the long run it helps a team.   I also like how Kidd is talking to the refs and the team.    It looks like a very calm, less animated discussion.  I am sure he will have blowups during the season, but I have liked what I have seen so far.

Brunson was awesome.   Sterling Brown fate will determined largely by him hitting threes, but I have liked what I have seen so far.   He looks like a guy who does a lot of little things and he is a guy who also looks for his shot.  And not a guy who only shoots when he is wide open.  There may be some play making potential there too.   Powell hits two more threes and again his form looks much improved.  Frank hit a low percentage of three point attempts but I thought his form looked good.   These are the type of games where you take those shots.  His defense looked great.  I liked the time he spent where he was pretty much playing the DFS position on offense.   I am not sure you want him as your first or secondary playmaker.  I actually would have liked to see more shot attempts by Josh Green.   But he had some nice moments, but he will have a hard time getting playing time to start the season imo.  

Eugene has showed me a nice feel for the game.   Not wow passes, but just solid passing.   He is also tough and plays hard.  I think he will have trouble finishing inside in the NBA, but there is something there.  I thought both Carlik and Hunt outplayed McLaughlin for the last two way spot in the games.   But who knows what happened in practice.    I actually prefer Hunt to Carlik though, eventhough Carlik is better now.    Hunt is younger and I believe has more of a chance to make it than a smaller shoot first point guard.   Hunt needs to develop his perimeter game, but I think it is worth investing in.  Hopefully he makes it to our G-league.  I also like bringing back EJ Onu back.  He is really raw, but I could see him as a two way guy next year.  I am glad the Mavs kept him close over the last month or so.
Like Reply
4) Boban is a chemistry savant.

Smile
Like Reply
(10-16-2021, 12:58 AM)WildArkieBoy Wrote: why in the Hell does this bunch seem so together?

Maybe they always were, but outside forces (system, analytics, coaching style, Covid restrictions, toxic front office politics, etc) sucked the joy out of it. Kidd may simply be the avatar for the players finally being able to be themselves. And IMO there appears to be an added bonus that the team genuinely wants to play well to make him look good as a coach.
[-] The following 3 users Like Tyler's post:
  • embellisher, Kammrath, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(10-16-2021, 09:37 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I was thrilled by the performance last night.

Brunson was awesome.   Sterling Brown fate will determined largely by him hitting threes, but I have liked what I have seen so far.   He looks like a guy who does a lot of little things and he is a guy who also looks for his shot.  And not a guy who only shoots when he is wide open.  There may be some play making potential there too.   Powell hits two more threes and again his form looks much improved.  Frank hit a low percentage of three point attempts but I thought his form looked good.   These are the type of games where you take those shots.  His defense looked great.  I liked the time he spent where he was pretty much playing the DFS position on offense. 

I was thinking of doing a long “what have we learned” post, but you hit on a number of the things I was going to say:

Brunson looks to be in mid-season form.  If he gets enough minutes with Luka he’ll be a good candidate for sixth man (how much money did Dinwiddie get?  Hollinger may not be that far off).

S. Brown looks like a player.  I think you could make an argument for him or Bullock starting in the DFS spot.  That is great depth and versatility.  Similarly, Maxi could start for Powell (probably not enough mobility to say the same for Willie or Moses, but they are perfectly fine NBA backup bigs)

But, Powell it is as the starter.  And, he looks great.  I’ve seen him hit 20 corner 3’s in a row before warmups.  I always thought he tried to get too much lift on his 3’s.  It isn’t totally a set shot like Maxi, but he’s not doing what he did in the past either.

Green’s three was a step-back (but to the side) shot.  The kid doesn’t lack for confidence apparently.  Out of all the wings we have, he is the one with the most upside.  I think there is an NBA starter hidden in there and it wouldn’t shock me for Green to unseat Finney some day.  He’s young and super-athletic, but inexperienced.  The archetype is a challenge.  Kelly Oubre, but with a brain.  Caris Lavert when he was younger.  Wiggins.  Its not like we demand a ton from DFS.  Make nice cuts, hit open 3’s and play D.  Green can do two of those things and is already better at passing and driving with the ball.  We should all be routing for this because it is the easiest route to substantial improvement without a massive trade.

I think the last thing we learned is atmosphere matters.  The shackles of a highly controlled approach are off. The regular season should be a much more enjoyable watch.  But, we may also see more mistakes than we used to see under Carlisle.  The question is whether this team can also thrive late in games and in the playoffs when things slow down and defenses clamp down.  I think we’ve seen enough to have a good feel for rotations with the exception of end of game.  I’m curious to see how that evolves as the season progresses.

Prediction:  Third in the West
[-] The following 8 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • ballsrchr, fifteenth, Kammrath, LifeAquatic, Mavsfan12, michaeltex, Scott41theMavs, Tyler
Like Reply
One of them has to start but good things happen when Powell and Kleber share the floor. Rarely seen a duo of bigs with synergy like that.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • embellisher, fifteenth
Like Reply