Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
PRESEASON GAME 2: LAC (1-2) @ DAL (2-0) | 122-114 win
(10-09-2021, 02:46 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: So, replacing DFS in the lineup?

Agree on the need to retain DFS and Brunson as we will have to have some outgoing salary to bring back a player like that.

I would actually prefer THJ, assuming DFS can continue to play like last season. It is totally possible his salary would be needed as outgoing salary in the trade or we play him as 6th man.
Like Reply
(10-09-2021, 03:49 PM)omahen Wrote: I would actually prefer THJ, assuming DFS can continue to play like last season. It is totally possible his salary would be needed as outgoing salary in the trade or we play him as 6th man.

YES!!!!
Like Reply
(10-09-2021, 03:49 PM)omahen Wrote: I would actually prefer THJ, assuming DFS can continue to play like last season. It is totally possible his salary would be needed as outgoing salary in the trade or we play him as 6th man.

That's another good reason we kept him, since apparently nobody else in that salary range wanted to come here. 

You need a guy in the $17 - $21M range who isn't horribly overpaid to get into talks on somebody who is either a two way player or moves the needle.

Timmy, on his contract, plus another piece or two, gets you salary wise in position for just about anybody. Now, he may not be the perfect piece that everybody is looking for, but he's a good offensive player, an elite three ball shooter,  a good locker room guy, and isn't on a bad contract vs his production.
Like Reply
(10-08-2021, 10:25 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: The guy is unplayable in playoffs unless you need a quick defensive stop/weapon.  Love the kids effort and wish him the best...but he doesnt have NBA feel for the game.   Not even long term unless something miraculously clicks offensively with his dribbling, creation or shooting.

Define your short term/long term project deadlines.

Is he a short term or long term project?  And how far along is he in meeting your expectations?

He is most certainly a long term project. I'd put an arbitrary 3-5 year length of the project just based on other success stories. The one thing I wanted him to add over the summer was just a bit more aggression on the offensive end. Every time he catches the ball he looks like a deer in the headlights. 

I also wanted him to come back with at least somewhat of a 3pt shot. ~33-35% was my goal for him.

So far he looks to be more of the same on the offensive end compared to last year, where he disappears for long stretches of time and doesn't seem to want to be apart of the play. His shot doesn't look much different, though he hasn't really attempted too many since again his timidness. 

Defensively he's still superb. He gives 100% and moves his feet well.

So year 2 he still looks incredibly raw. It's hard to imagine everything starts to click for him in the short term. I'm going to revaluate near March and see if he's still more of the same or if he's at least somewhat improved.

In any case the Mavs are ready to take the next leap. Green doesn't seem to be ready for that, so I'm ready to use him in a trade package to achieve that goal.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(10-09-2021, 11:24 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I don't disagree that that was a wet blanket and there has been plenty of negativity in the game threads. I just can't get too hyped, or too down on anything I see during preseason.

However, 22/9/2!!!!!!!!!!

I see more complaining about complaining than actual complaining.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
I think JGreen definitely needs development to become some. sort of a contributor tp a team. I think he needs plenty of playing experience to hone those raw skills and to elevate his BBIQ. Unfortunately, the Mavs is in a Win-Now mode and playing time for will be scarce. Maybe a G-League stint will help?

I am also down with trading him for a player who can immediately contribute. Perhaps a package of WCS, Burke, Green, and a 2nd rounder for Terrence Ross? Aplayer who can be a two-way player. Who will bolster the bench's scoring punch. Can be played as 2 or 3. Can handle the ball some.
Like Reply
Kicking myself for not noticing this before (so shout out to Mav’s Moneyball).

Dallas had 35 assists last night.  Luka, KP and THJ had 17 IN THE FIRST HALF with THJ and KP having 4 each.

In the last two seasons Dallas was 6-0 and 5-2 in games when KP had 4 assists or more.

In 19/20 (when THJ was starting), Dallas was 10-4 in games when THJ had 4 assists or more.

Something else that seems different about Kidd-ball.  If you can’t score a secondary creator, you create them from secondary scorers.
[-] The following 5 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • embellisher, LifeAquatic, michaeltex, Scott41theMavs, Tyler
Like Reply
(10-09-2021, 08:02 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Kicking myself for not noticing this before (so shout out to Mav’s Moneyball).

Dallas had 35 assists last night.  Luka, KP and THJ had 17 IN THE FIRST HALF with THJ and KP having 4 each.

In the last two seasons Dallas was 6-0 and 5-2 in games when KP had 4 assists or more.

In 19/20 (when THJ was starting), Dallas was 10-4 in games when THJ had 4 assists or more.

Something else that seems different about Kidd-ball.  If you can’t score a secondary creator, you create them from secondary scorers.

I'm going to point this out also.  Last year, when it was pointed out that the ball was not moving on the offense and other countered with by pointing to Luka having 18 assists or something outstanding...the ball was not moving and people kept poo-pooing it all season when I said that.

If you look at the Mavs, with Luka having ungodly assist numbers, the Mavs were 26th in the NBA in assists.  Basically, Luka WOULD pass, but it was only to a shot or he would take a shot.  That's not a shot at him, but when the TEAM is moving the ball, you see more hockey assists from him and more assists from others.

Look at Dallas last year....the second leading assist guy has 3 assists.  And the 4th leading assist guy has 1.x assists per game.

Now look at Indiana...to get to someone averaging less than 2 assists you have to go to the 6th-7th man.  THAT'S what it looks like when a TEAM is moving the ball.

The other night -- yeah, it was preseason and they played a lot of players, BUT, how many players had 2 or more assists?  7 -- THAT'S what it looks like when the TEAM moves the ball.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
[-] The following 5 users Like TXBamanut's post:
  • dynamicalVoid, fifteenth, LifeAquatic, michaeltex, Tyler
Like Reply
(10-09-2021, 08:02 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Something else that seems different about Kidd-ball.  If you can’t score a secondary creator, you create them from secondary scorers.

I think this should radically transform our thinking for the need of a secondary creator should this be true. 

It remains to be seen if this was a 1 off type of deal, but if it isn't the needs of the team shift quite greatly, and I'm not too sure to what. 

More scoring from the bench? A better bench big? More perimeter scoring off the dribble? Who knows!
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(10-09-2021, 08:25 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: I'm going to point this out also.  Last year, when it was pointed out that the ball was not moving on the offense and other countered with by pointing to Luka having 18 assists or something outstanding...the ball was not moving and people kept poo-pooing it all season when I said that.

If you look at the Mavs, with Luka having ungodly assist numbers, the Mavs were 26th in the NBA in assists.  Basically, Luka WOULD pass, but it was only to a shot or he would take a shot.  That's not a shot at him, but when the TEAM is moving the ball, you see more hockey assists from him and more assists from others.

Look at Dallas last year....the second leading assist guy has 3 assists.  And the 4th leading assist guy has 1.x assists per game.

Now look at Indiana...to get to someone averaging less than 2 assists you have to go to the 6th-7th man.  THAT'S what it looks like when a TEAM is moving the ball.

The other night -- yeah, it was preseason and they played a lot of players, BUT, how many players had 2 or more assists?  7 -- THAT'S what it looks like when the TEAM moves the ball.

I think this sharing of assists is another result of Kidd wanting to push the ball.  Bigs are looking for the closest guard to outlet the ball to, Luka is making passes across half court to THJ rather than dribbling it up himself, by pushing it and getting it into KPs hands he has the opportunity to pass it back out for the inside-out assist.

In highschool we would do a fast break drill where we would take a rebound and the ball wasn’t allowed to hit the ground before we made a layup on the other side of the court.  I want to say it took 3 passes to cover the length of the court.  We’d do this non stop for… well I’m too old now to remember but I want to say it was 10 minutes.  It was killer.  But got everyone involved.  Everyone scored.  Everyone got assists.
[-] The following 1 user Likes soog's post:
  • ClutchDirk
Like Reply
(10-09-2021, 08:25 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: If you look at the Mavs, with Luka having ungodly assist numbers, the Mavs were 26th in the NBA in assists.  Basically, Luka WOULD pass, but it was only to a shot or he would take a shot.  That's not a shot at him, but when the TEAM is moving the ball, you see more hockey assists from him and more assists from others.

I completely and totally agree with the above, but I don't believe it was Carlisle's intent. More like a 22 year old "phenom in progress" figuring things out. That isn't to take anything away from Kidd if he gets the kid to move the ball a little more this season, or from Luka for progressing. 

But ABSOLUTELY, hockey assists are what's up, and that's something that has been missing since Luka got here. The good Mavs teams of old (Carlisle and Nellie versions, not so much the Johnson ones) were always unselfish teams. That style of play is infectious, and we know all too well that Kidd understands how to do that.
Like Reply
(10-09-2021, 09:27 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think this should radically transform our thinking for the need of a secondary creator should this be true. 

There have been a few who did not jump on the "secondary creator" bandwagon.....
Like Reply
(10-09-2021, 11:32 PM)Kammrath Wrote: There have been a few who did not jump on the "secondary creator" bandwagon.....

I still think we need another quality point guard. Only Luka+Brunson isn't enough ballhandling. You just can't run all the time.
Like Reply
(10-09-2021, 11:32 PM)Kammrath Wrote: There have been a few who did not jump on the "secondary creator" bandwagon.....

and they will be proven wrong once Dallas gets bounced in the 1st round again
Like Reply
(10-09-2021, 08:25 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: If you look at the Mavs, with Luka having ungodly assist numbers, the Mavs were 26th in the NBA in assists.  Basically, Luka WOULD pass, but it was only to a shot or he would take a shot.  

hmmm i wonder why
Like Reply