Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs FAN JAM: Open Practice Livestream 1pm CST/ 2PM EST
Anyone worried that Bullock, or latest 3&D answer, went 1 for 7 on 3s?

I know it is just a scrimmage, but you'd expect to see averages go up not down in an exhibition.
Like Reply
(10-03-2021, 09:56 PM)michaeltex Wrote: Anyone worried that Bullock, or latest 3&D answer, went 1 for 7 on 3s?

I know it is just a scrimmage, but you'd expect to see averages go up not down in an exhibition.

To be fair like 3 of those were dribble pull up threes with a hand in his face. I hardly expect those kind of shots be a steady part of his diet when the season is underway. He hit a nice spot up three in the corner which is something we'd see a lot more. 

But yeah, both him and Sterling had an off shooting day. I hope it was just because of the laxed nature of a scrimmage and things will look different come game time.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Think its hard to draw conclusion from an open scrimmage. Had some allstar game vibe. Some players took it more serious than others.

Anyway, my early take:

Bullock + Maxi starters
Powell + THJ bench

The way KP described his role, i am not sure Powell is even the right fit. Imo Kleber is not only the better player, but also the better fit. If KP plays more in the post/mid range, and less on the perimeter, it kinda forces Powell to be on the perimeter (he had one 3 pt attempt in the scrimmage). Thats not what you want. With Powell, KP needs to be on the perimeter, and not in the post. Which he doesn't want (?) as much.

Bullock defense is more useful with the starters, THJ offense more useful for the bench.

If someone wants to rewatch:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1166540435
[-] The following 1 user Likes sefant's post:
  • ClutchDirk
Like Reply
(10-03-2021, 09:56 PM)michaeltex Wrote: I know it is just a scrimmage, but you'd expect to see averages go up not down in an exhibition.

After watching fan jams and preseasons for decades, I do not expect anything. Some guys look like they look during the season and some guys look bad and then turn it on during the season. Some guys look good in fan jams and are borderline NBA players. Doesn't seem to be much correlation.
[-] The following 2 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • Scott41theMavs, Tyler
Like Reply
The Twin Towers of Boban & KP made their appearance....

BE PREPARED.

@"KillerLeft"
Like Reply
(10-04-2021, 10:08 AM)Kammrath Wrote: The Twin Towers of Boban & KP made their appearance....

BE PREPARED.

@"KillerLeft"

[Image: kill-me-kill-me-please.gif]
Like Reply
I've heard WCS say that he sees himself as more of a 3. So....
  • ClutchDirk, dirkfansince1998
Like Reply
(10-04-2021, 12:25 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I've heard WCS say that he sees himself as more of a 3. So....

I noticed he took quite a few outside shots. Bricked a 3 and the airballed a 18 footer if I remember right.

I've had a suspicion that Kidd is going to implement an offense that is free from rigid roles unlike RC that had clear defined expectations from everyone on the court. Hopefully that doesn't allow TOO much freedom that lets WCS shoot threes.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(10-05-2021, 05:56 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I noticed he took quite a few outside shots. Bricked a 3 and the airballed a 18 footer if I remember right.

I've had a suspicion that Kidd is going to implement an offense that is free from rigid roles unlike RC that had clear defined expectations from everyone on the court. Hopefully that doesn't allow TOO much freedom that lets WCS shoot threes.

I'm OK with more freedom in "roles". However, the role you envision for yourself playing in your driveway is not necessarily the role the team needs you to play. WCS flaring out to take a 3 only invites his defender to stay home and allow doubling Luka or applying more pressure to the other shooters. I hope this was an exhibition thing, like having Tyron Smith take a snap during the Blue/White scrimmage in training camp.
Like Reply
WCS made an open three-point shot.
Like Reply
(10-05-2021, 09:24 AM)michaeltex Wrote: I'm OK with more freedom

Is this in the correct thread?
  • ClutchDirk, SleepingHero
Like Reply
If we are talking about offensive concepts I would like to point out that the 19/20 version of flow lead to a better O-rating than the even more Luka heavy version we saw in the last season.
RCs approach was basically as close to free flow without any play calling as it gets. And that´s clearly the league wide trend. Feels like modern day scouting, tracking and video analysis really lessened the efficiency of set plays. Turning them into more of a gimmick. As far as I know Luka was the one that asked for and started to call more set plays (post ups) last season. I guess one could make the case that it improved the clutch offense.
It will be really interesting to see the changes. Starting with the basic concepts. 4-1, 5-out. something completly different? Will Luka´s usage/ballhandling time change?
Personally I do not expect any drastic changes. It´s not like Slovenia was playing with a completly different scheme in the summer. A lot of pick and roll, 4-out or 5-out spacing. Simply the easiest way to maximize Luka´s impact on offense.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(10-05-2021, 04:13 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: If we are talking about offensive concepts I would like to point out that the 19/20 version of flow lead to a better O-rating than the even more Luka heavy version we saw in the last season.
RCs approach was basically as close to free flow without any play calling as it gets.

By freedom, I meant freedom in what each role is allowed to do on the court. You're correct that RC's offense rarely featured play calling. He might've called 2 a quarter if that, and maybe a play each timeout. So a total of 10 in what 80 FGA?  

But RC's offense itself had really strict rules in that the 5 generally would almost always initiate the play with a screen and would roll hard to the rim more often than not. If that broke down the 5 would rescreen the set and the flow would continue. Sometimes the 4 would also screen if the 5-screen broke down or they ran a Horns configuration playset. 

The 4 always flared out to the 3pt line and mostly stood around for a kickout for a 3 that was more often than not wide-open. The 4 would always be next to the 3 above the break after the initial action waiting for the kickout. Maxi excelled in this role next to Powell. 

The 3 would interchangeably switch positions with the 4 on the wing that would leave them in the corner normally waiting for a kickout on either side (they'd always be opposite of where the initiating screen from them 5 was set). 30% of DFS's shots came from either corner these last 2 years.  Sometimes the 4 would switch positions with the 3 so the 3 would be above the elbow on the kickout. Again about 34% of all of DFS shots came from there as well these last 2 years. Works out to nearly 65% of all his shots came from those 2 areas of the court averaged out these last 2 years!

The 2 would be normally same side of the screen waiting as a secondary initiator if the primary screen got doubled. This leads to a more varied shot selection and role for the 2. But since Luka is incredible, THJ's playmaking isn't really needed and he also gets a healthy amount of spot up threes just waiting for the primary 1-5 action to work through.

So yes. Lots of freedom of choice for the 1.  But everyone was clearly boxed in to what they're allowed to do. We never really saw KP initiate the offense and Luka set the screen for him for example, like how the Lakers did for AD and Lebron a couple of times. Was that because the Mavs didn't have the personnel and thats why RC didn't implement it? Maybe. I certainly couldn't trust DFS correctly running the offense for more than 1 play a week. But RC has always been notorious for his roles being set and that the point guard had the most responsibility for the offense. 

I'm looking forward to see what JKidd implements. I didn't really get much from the scrimmage other than a couple of curling actions for KP off the elbow, but that could've just been scrimmage stuff.
Like Reply