Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over
If I assume NY is willing to offer Robinson and Dallas 2023 FRP to get Brunsons bird rights (approximately what would cost them to create cap space in the summer to sign him). Mavs don't really need another center, but there are teams that do need a center and could see long term fit in Robinson. So what would be three team opportunities without expanding the deal with big salary, basically involving Robinson, Brunson and a third guy?

Boston needs a center but I am not really impressed by any of their players on their rookie contracts.

Charlotte really needs a good center. Would they be willing to consider swapping PJ Washington for Robinson. Mavs would stabilize frontcourt with Washington, Powell, Maxi and KP. Mavs would have to look for a secondary creator next to Luka. With all picks available, could we target Beal or Lillard in the summer? MCCullom could be had at TDL already without sacrificing significant draft assets, so Mavs would keep plenty flexibility going forward. I see a lot of options in this scenario.

Detroit is another team that needs a center but I would only deal with them if Grant is involved. Certainly possible to expand a deal in that direction.

Toronto and Milwaukee could also use a center, but I don't see anything interesting there.
[-] The following 3 users Like omahen's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, fifteenth, mvossman
Like Reply
(01-29-2022, 03:49 PM)Mapka Wrote: Fair

Even if true (I think otherwise), you're surely not sending good vibes to our team or other players.
My FO needs more of a kick in the crotch to make something happen more than my team needs good vibes. Being realistic isn't negative, it's just realistic.

(01-29-2022, 04:17 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: My FO Cuban needs more of a kick in the crotch to make something happen more than my team needs good vibes. Being realistic isn't negative, it's just realistic.
FifMe!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(01-29-2022, 03:42 PM)cow Wrote: He and the Mavs might have a number agreed upon that they are both comfortable with.
Question? Is this tampering?
Like Reply
(01-29-2022, 04:02 PM)omahen Wrote: If I assume NY is willing to offer Robinson and Dallas 2023 FRP to get Brunsons bird rights (approximately what would cost them to create cap space in the summer to sign him). Mavs don't really need another center, but there are teams that do need a center and could see long term fit in Robinson. So what would be three team opportunities without expanding the deal with big salary, basically involving Robinson, Brunson and a third guy?

Boston needs a center but I am not really impressed by any of their players on their rookie contracts.

Charlotte really needs a good center. Would they be willing to consider swapping PJ Washington for Robinson. Mavs would stabilize frontcourt with Washington, Powell, Maxi and KP. Mavs would have to look for a secondary creator next to Luka. With all picks available, could we target Beal or Lillard in the summer? MCCullom could be had at TDL already without sacrificing significant draft assets, so Mavs would keep plenty flexibility going forward. I see a lot of options in this scenario.

Detroit is another team that needs a center but I would only deal with them if Grant is involved. Certainly possible to expand a deal in that direction.

Toronto and Milwaukee could also use a center, but I don't see anything interesting there.

DAL in: McCollum, Walker, Washington, '23 DAL 1st.
CHO in: Robinson, Gibson.
NYK in: Brunson, Bullock, Carey Jr.
POR in: THJ, Green, '22 DAL 1st (lottery protected).

Doncic (36)/Walker (12)
McCollum (34)/Walker (14)
Finney-Smith (36)/Brown or Ntilikina (12)
Kleber (24)/Washington (24)
Porzingis (32)/Powell (16)

Too much?
[-] The following 1 user Likes aguiar95's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
Regarding Knicks players to receive for Brunson... I'm just not interested in many. The only player I place significant value and interest on is Reddish and I'm going to need the 2023 pick too with him. He's got massive upside (we've seen the flashes) and is an ok player now albeit extremely frustrating.

If you trade DFS before the deadline, someone like Reddish would be a nice replacement. You can see how he fits before signing him to an extension or retain him in RFA.
Like Reply
(01-29-2022, 05:12 PM)aguiar95 Wrote: Too much?

I like the idea, but I am affraid Portland has zero need for THJ. But it gets difficult for McCullom without THJ contract.
Like Reply
(01-29-2022, 04:24 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Question? Is this tampering?

No. You can't tamper with your own player.
Like Reply
(01-29-2022, 05:45 PM)Tyler Wrote: No. You can't tamper with your own player.
Not really our player when talking about his next contract.
Like Reply
True, but players talk about future salary expectations with their own team all the time. How do you think extensions happen? The only limitation is that they can't formalize an under-the-table deal.

The tampering rules are designed to prevent other teams from talking with a player currently under contract.
Like Reply
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-t...ee-simons/
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-29-2022, 04:02 PM)omahen Wrote: If I assume NY is willing to offer Robinson and Dallas 2023 FRP to get Brunsons bird rights (approximately what would cost them to create cap space in the summer to sign him). Mavs don't really need another center, but there are teams that do need a center and could see long term fit in Robinson. So what would be three team opportunities without expanding the deal with big salary, basically involving Robinson, Brunson and a third guy?

Technically, Giannis is their center, and Portis is his backup for now.  I assume they will scourer the waiver wire after the TDL to pick up another big. Looks like Lopez might not be back this season after back surgery.
Like Reply

I love the idea of sending Mitchell to Charlotte for PJ.  Would need to figure something out for secondary playmaker and backup PG.  Maybe we get NY throw in Kemba or Quickley?

For Boston, I wonder if something like Bullock + Robinson would land Smart.  Then we have all of our picks available to upgrade the 4.
Like Reply
(01-29-2022, 03:07 PM)Mavs32 Wrote: I was thinking a three team deal with Boston.

Dallas gets Smart and their 2023 1st back
NY get Brunson
Boston gets Maxi and Robinson.

then Dallas has two firsts to try to make a package for Collins and signs Dragic when he is hopefully bought out.

NY gets Brunson in house and it is not an expensive cost.
Bostons gets frontcourt defensive help and saves money long term.  Maybe you need to send a 2nd round pick back to Boston to make it work but i still am not sure they do that deal.

Subscribe to this timeline. 

Knicks probably give Boston another PG, like Walker+Quickly to Boston. 

Boston gets 2-3 rotation guys for Smart. Mavs get their defensive replacement for Brunson. NYK gets their guy in Brunson. I think this is the best timeline

Continuing off this idea, this 3-teamer works for everyone and kind of makes sense. 

Knicks get: THJ+Brunson (they're in a down year anyways so not having THJ isn't bad)
Celtics get: Kemba+Burkes+Maxi+Burke
Mavs get: Horford+Smart+Removal of 2023 protections. 

So in this case the Mavs don't get their pick back, but still get full access to their future picks. That's the trade off for having NYK eat THJ's contract. Boston gets Kemba+Burke to replace Smart. Burks as a scorer of the bench. And Maxi to replace Horford. This also puts Boston 10m below the tax.

Mavs get Smart+Horford who would fit super well here and also stay under the tax by 10m.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-29-2022, 03:07 PM)Mavs32 Wrote: I was thinking a three team deal with Boston.

Dallas gets Smart and their 2023 1st back
NY get Brunson
Boston gets Maxi and Robinson.

then Dallas has two firsts to try to make a package for Collins and signs Dragic when he is hopefully bought out.

NY gets Brunson in house and it is not an expensive cost.
Bostons gets frontcourt defensive help and saves money long term.  Maybe you need to send a 2nd round pick back to Boston to make it work but i still am not sure they do that deal.

I like this but prefer to send out Bullock instead of Maxi.  In a trade to upgrade the 4, may need Maxi for that trade (makes the most send for Atlanta in a Collins trade).
Like Reply
(01-29-2022, 10:46 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Subscribe to this timeline. 

Knicks probably give Boston another PG, like Walker+Quickly to Boston. 

Boston gets 2-3 rotation guys for Smart. Mavs get their defensive replacement for Brunson. NYK gets their guy in Brunson. I think this is the best timeline

Continuing off this idea, this 3-teamer works for everyone and kind of makes sense. 

Knicks get: THJ+Brunson (they're in a down year anyways so not having THJ isn't bad)
Celtics get: Kemba+Burkes+Maxi+Burke
Mavs get: Horford+Smart+Removal of 2023 protections. 

So in this case the Mavs don't get their pick back, but still get full access to their future picks. That's the trade off for having NYK eat THJ's contract. Boston gets Kemba+Burke to replace Smart. Burks as a scorer of the bench. And Maxi to replace Horford. This also puts Boston 10m below the tax.

Mavs get Smart+Horford who would fit super well here and also stay under the tax by 10m.

Don't see Boston bringing Kemba back (not even sure if they can?)  Also don't see the Mavs or NY interested in THJ back NY.

I like the original three team trade with Bullock instead of Maxi, and then there are multiple options to upgrade the 4.
Like Reply
(01-29-2022, 11:06 PM)mvossman Wrote: Don't see Boston bringing Kemba back (not even sure if they can?)  Also don't see the Mavs or NY interested in THJ back NY.

I like the original three team trade with Bullock instead of Maxi, and then there are multiple options to upgrade the 4.

They can. They traded him to OKC who bought him out. So the previous team rule doesn't apply. 

The original 3-team trade with Bullock instead of Maxi doesn't really make sense for the Mavs especially since THJ has gone down. Trade away Bullock and you're relying on a Green/Frank/Brown rotation for all of THJ's and Bullock's minutes. That's just too thin of a back court.

I also think if Boston is losing Smart, they just have to get a point guard back. Boston liked Walker. They just didn't like him for 30+mil. 9 mil is easier to digest, though I'm sure they'd rather just cut NYK out of it and get Brunson themselves.
Like Reply
(01-29-2022, 09:57 PM)mvossman Wrote: I love the idea of sending Mitchell to Charlotte for PJ.  Would need to figure something out for secondary playmaker and backup PG.  Maybe we get NY throw in Kemba or Quickley?

For Boston, I wonder if something like Bullock + Robinson would land Smart.  Then we have all of our picks available to upgrade the 4.
Smart is essentially Josh Richardson on offense. If you trade for him expecting him to be a secondary playmaker, well, welcome back to 2021.
Like Reply
(01-30-2022, 12:22 AM)Branduil Wrote: Smart is essentially Josh Richardson on offense. If you trade for him expecting him to be a secondary playmaker, well, welcome back to 2021.

He's even worse, because he's much more irrationally confident than Richardson. He actually tries to take over games, sometimes. My Celtic-fan friends despise him, and the general consensus is that his defense, which legitimately used to be difference-making, has fallen off considerably over the past several seasons (though still much better than the "defense" Richardson pretends to play). I have never really been a fan of bringing him here. 

But, it's one of the better and more realistic ideas I've seen here recently. If the price is right, I can see it.
Like Reply
I just fear Smart will be a negative asset sooner rather than later.  His extension:

'22-23:  $16,607,142 (28y)
'23-24:  $18,583,713 (29y)
'24-25:  $19,960,285 (30y)
'25-26:  $21,336,856 (31y)
Like Reply
(01-30-2022, 12:22 AM)Branduil Wrote: Smart is essentially Josh Richardson on offense. If you trade for him expecting him to be a secondary playmaker, well, welcome back to 2021.

Smart isn't essentially JRich on offense. Sure he has horrid efficiency but his offensive impact metrics have always been average to slightly below average. Richardson here was worst than Josh Green. He literally couldn't score.

Smart can at least move the ball and create. He had 12 assists tonight. Richardson has never gotten double digit assists in a single game for his entire career.

(01-30-2022, 01:04 AM)cow Wrote: I just fear Smart will be a negative asset sooner rather than later.  His extension:

'22-23:  $16,607,142 (28y)
'23-24:  $18,583,713 (29y)
'24-25:  $19,960,285 (30y)
'25-26:  $21,336,856 (31y)

This is a valid fear. But defense is always been effort based. We've seen all-nba defenders last well into their thirties just because they knew how to manipulate people. I think Smart is that level of defender and why he's getting paid so much. Also, 31 is not too old to where we'd expect a drastic decline in performance barring any major injuries.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply