Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over
(08-19-2021, 07:39 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: There are two versions of LM to Dallas...Trade Match and TPE.  Trade Match could be done already even if it included Moses because of the Chicago TPE allowing it to be done on a non-aggregated basis (unless you believe LM wants more than 3/$44).  A straight TPE single team trade with Chicago-only could similarly be done already.

There is a TPE version that involves getting Dragic and LM with the outgoing salary matching Dragic and being split between Tor/Chi.  If Moses is needed for matching outgoing salary, then the deal has to wait.

One of Powell or Maxi has to be outgoing in any scenario (outgoing big).

The other mix and match options are WCS/Moses/Green/Terry/Burke.  I agree Chicago needs more size and we have too much of it (especially if LM is added).  There have been plenty of trade ideas posted that solve that issue.

What's your thought on the NBA investigation possibly holding some things up?

It just feels to me like CHI might not want to make any deals until they know their penalty. At least if I were them I sure wouldn't move a muscle until I know what the deck I am working with looks like.
Like Reply
(08-19-2021, 07:54 AM)Kammrath Wrote: What's your thought on the NBA investigation possibly holding some things up?

It just feels to me like CHI might not want to make any deals until they know their penalty. At least if I were them I sure wouldn't move a muscle until I know what the deck I am working with looks like.

I'll reserve the right to be wrong, but I don't think it is a factor.

The question then becomes "what then" is the hold-up.  I might argue it is the Moses/Oct 1st thing, but that doesn't make sense either.  They could easily announce a deal now that is effective 10/1 and end the mystery and let people do their apartment shopping.  But, they haven't, so that's not the right answer either.
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • DallasBasketball, jdb152, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(08-19-2021, 08:18 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I'll reserve the right to be wrong, but I don't think it is a factor.

The question then becomes "what then" is the hold-up.  I might argue it is the Moses/Oct 1st thing, but that doesn't make sense either.  They could easily announce a deal now that is effective 10/1 and end the mystery and let people do their apartment shopping.  But, they haven't, so that's not the right answer either.

There are three parties in this negotiations. Lauri, Mavs and Chicago. There are many possible variations where is the hold up. It may be Lauri salary demands, it may be Chicago asset demands, there may be more teams in play competing with each other and doing their separate negotiations. Good thing for us is that keeping Lauri cap hold is essentially blocking Chicago to sign other guys before October 1st when he has to be either traded or he signs a QO. This could be a driver pushing Chicago to reduce their demands. 

To capologists - if Lauri doesn't sign his QO after October 1st he remains RFA. But, does Chicago also have his cap hold this way, until the situation is resolved?
Like Reply
(08-19-2021, 08:18 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I'll reserve the right to be wrong, but I don't think it is a factor.

I think at this stage it has to be between the teams. Markkanen´s team has to have the available numbers and options figured out by now, whether that´s with us or another team. If the hold-up is that the Mavs offer TPE or Powell + two 2nd round picks and the Bulls want either Kleber or/and a 1st round pick, I´m not sure this will be resolved. If the stand-off is Kleber + Burke (Mavs) vs. Kleber + 1st round pick (Bulls), they´ll find a middle ground. I guess a lot will also depend on how the new MBT view Porzingis and whether they consider Markkanen his replacement. In that case, they´ll probably be willing to offer a little more.
Like Reply
(08-19-2021, 09:13 AM)omahen Wrote: There are three parties in this negotiations. Lauri, Mavs and Chicago. There are many possible variations where is the hold up. It may be Lauri salary demands, it may be Chicago asset demands, there may be more teams in play competing with each other and doing their separate negotiations. Good thing for us is that keeping Lauri cap hold is essentially blocking Chicago to sign other guys before October 1st when he has to be either traded or he signs a QO. This could be a driver pushing Chicago to reduce their demands. 

To capologists - if Lauri doesn't sign his QO after October 1st he remains RFA. But, does Chicago also have his cap hold this way, until the situation is resolved?

Somebody (@F Gump maybe?) says after 10/1 CHI retains RFA rights but does not have to honor the QO. So it's in LM's best interest to get this resolved by EOB 10/1. 

Since that is sort of a drop-dead date, nobody has to do anything until then. Lots of stuff can happen in the meantime. Another team's star or 2nd star could decide he wants a new start and CHI could involve LM in that. A key player could get hurt in offseason training or training camp or something non-BB related and the interest in LM could heat up. New lineups prove to be unworkable, prompting a change of personnel. 

So to me, there is nothing driving a resolution here in late August. A month from now is likely a different matter.

Patience Grasshopper...

[Image: yoda-patience.gif]
Like Reply
(08-19-2021, 07:39 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: There are two versions of LM to Dallas...Trade Match and TPE.  Trade Match could be done already even if it included Moses because of the Chicago TPE allowing it to be done on a non-aggregated basis (unless you believe LM wants more than 3/$44).  A straight TPE single team trade with Chicago-only could similarly be done already.

There is a TPE version that involves getting Dragic and LM with the outgoing salary matching Dragic and being split between Tor/Chi.  If Moses is needed for matching outgoing salary, then the deal has to wait.

One of Powell or Maxi has to be outgoing in any scenario (outgoing big).

The other mix and match options are WCS/Moses/Green/Terry/Burke.  I agree Chicago needs more size and we have too much of it (especially if LM is added).  There have been plenty of trade ideas posted that solve that issue.

I'm starting to think maybe the holdup isn't compensation for Chicago, but Markkanen simply not accepting the numbers he's being offered.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • jdb152
Like Reply

"what then" is the hold-up
They could easily announce a deal now

I think the lack of any news right now is due to the fact there is no deal. Deals so far in advance of an opening are rare, maybe even unprecedented, because teams (and players, since LM is involved as well) like to play things out before committing. Maybe there will be one eventually. Maybe not.

But I think the Mavs are limited by the number of rotation-caliber big men already on the roster (and the salaries they have). I think they must have Powell or Kleber outgoing if LM is to be incoming, which (because CHI wants little-to-no salary) means it MUST BE a 3-team trade for that player to go to. Since no one has cap room right now, that's a deal-stopper. But maybe in conjunction with a Dragic trade, there is a way to move Powell and then open up potential minutes for LM.

Or maybe no one is as interested as we are in this forum. There's always that possibility as well.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • KillerLeft, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
Collin Sexton
Lonnie Walker
Marvin Bagley
Mo Bamba

Buy low trade options to keep an eye on. All RFA’s, so easy to match their final year. Young players
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/statu...1733816324
Like Reply
(08-22-2021, 07:45 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/statu...1733816324

Unfortunately, the article says the price for Nance (a) is "a lot," (b) would have to be "the right return," and © probably would have to include an upgrade for the Cavs at the wing.

Assuming he is healthy, I like Nance if they are trying to move on from him, and the expectations are modest. But it doesn't sound like the Cavs are looking for a deal like that.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...5658184706
Like Reply
(08-23-2021, 12:41 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...5658184706

Wow... I'm glad our relationship with KP isn't this broken. Like him or not, his trade value would be even lower if we had a situation like this on our hands.

I don't know if Simmons is worth even half of what Philly wants for him, but they'll be lucky to get that, at this point.
Like Reply
(08-23-2021, 09:30 PM)embellisher Wrote: Wow... I'm glad our relationship with KP isn't this broken.

As much as fans have talked about KP's fit in Dallas, both KP and the team have said nothing but glowing things about one another. Dallas even defended him for his playoff showing and KP talked about accepting his role. KP has been visibly working hard this summer, and Kidd went out of his way to visit him in Europe to get on the same page. Sure, both sides have some work to do to get him where he needs to be. But the relationship is there.

In contrast, after Simmons's abysmal playoff showing both Rivers and Embiid directly threw him under the bus. Simmons became a meme and nobody backed him up. Morey then very vocally set out to trade him even though he clearly wasn't making serious offers, to the point where teams started leaking just how stupid Philly's demands are. Morey now seems intent on holding Simmons hostage until Lillard is available, which may never even happen. To say the relationship is broken really doesn't do it justice.
[-] The following 5 users Like Tyler's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, Kammrath, KillerLeft, Paul Gasol, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(08-23-2021, 10:10 PM)Tyler Wrote: As much as fans have talked about KP's fit in Dallas, both KP and the team have said nothing but glowing things about one another. Dallas even defended him for his playoff showing and KP talked about accepting his role. KP has been visibly working hard this summer, and Kidd went out of his way to visit him in Europe to get on the same page. Sure, both sides have some work to do to get him where he needs to be. But the relationship is there.

I'm one of the biggest Porzingis doubters here, and I can wholeheartedly endorse the message above.
Like Reply
(08-23-2021, 10:10 PM)Tyler Wrote: As much as fans have talked about KP's fit in Dallas, both KP and the team have said nothing but glowing things about one another. Dallas even defended him for his playoff showing and KP talked about accepting his role. KP has been visibly working hard this summer, and Kidd went out of his way to visit him in Europe to get on the same page. Sure, both sides have some work to do to get him where he needs to be. But the relationship is there.

In contrast, after Simmons's abysmal playoff showing both Rivers and Embiid directly threw him under the bus. Simmons became a meme and nobody backed him up. Morey then very vocally set out to trade him even though he clearly wasn't making serious offers, to the point where teams started leaking just how stupid Philly's demands are. Morey now seems intent on holding Simmons hostage until Lillard is available, which may never even happen. To say the relationship is broken really doesn't do it justice.

GREAT post.

You really have to give DAL credit and appreciate that they aren't the clown show in PHI. I think Morey is a good GM in ways, but man, this has been handled as poorly as humanly possible.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...2928753673
Like Reply
What happened to the Sexton trade talks?
Did they change their mind after drafting a big instead of guard?
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...6943424514
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/statu...7477179399
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...6462511106
Like Reply