Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over
(12-06-2021, 05:04 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Our roster is full of reliable wing defenders but it feels completely pointless sometimes without a strong presence around the rim.

The biggest problem IMO has been the breakdown of rotations and closeouts, etc., when Luka+THJ have been playing together. 

[Image: Screenshot-2021-12-06-4.14.35-PM.png]

The Mavs have the 4th ranked D in the NBA when Luka and THJ are NOT on the court at the same time. I think this is a MAJOR reason Kidd started bringing THJ off the bench recently.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • BackToSquareOne
Like Reply
(12-06-2021, 05:18 PM)Kammrath Wrote: The biggest problem IMO has been the breakdown of rotations and closeouts, etc.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
(12-06-2021, 05:12 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: To be clear, I think Kidd has figured this out, and the current lineup experimentation is just him trying to find a means to "load manage" Porzingis. Not a terrible thought.

I definitely think this is the case, especially when you look at Powell's minutes slowly moving down from the start to the year to now (minus weird games with guys out and stuff).

What's so weird to me is that I feel like KP is actually fine as a 4 as long as he's ok with the role of floor spacer as to not get in the way of the pick and roll with Luka and whoever the 5 may be but that doesn't seem to be the case and he just goes out there and throws in random post ups when he shouldn't be.  There's so much opportunity for him to get more touches as the 5 in the pick and roll with Luka and when he's with Brunson he can be a little more assertive about getting post ups (which he's looked much better at this year than previous years).  To me this seems obvious and I don't understand why it's so hard to balance these things out.

The biggest surprise to me about KP this year at the 4 is his defense.  I thought he would be absolutely toasted out on the perimeter time and time again but it hasn't been super noticeable and I feel like playing the 4 actually HELPS his defense which I never thought I would say.  Putting him at the 4 keeps him out of the pick and roll where he struggles and allows him to protect the rim from the weakside where he thrives.

Just kind of a mini KP rant, not even sure if I'm on topic at this point.  Also, having said all this, we'll have to play KP at the 5 in the playoffs and even when we aren't teams will hunt him in the pick and roll anyway because it's the playoffs so....I'm still very ok (more than that honestly) trading him.
Like Reply
(12-06-2021, 05:18 PM)Kammrath Wrote: The biggest problem IMO has been the breakdown of rotations and closeouts, etc., when Luka+THJ have been playing together. 

[Image: Screenshot-2021-12-06-4.14.35-PM.png]

The Mavs have the 4th ranked D in the NBA when Luka and THJ are NOT on the court at the same time. I think this is a MAJOR reason Kidd started bringing THJ off the bench recently.

Ya this definitely doesn't surprise me.  I guess my comment is more towards the fact that we now have Maxi/DFS/Reggie/Brown/Frank to throw out as wing defenders this year where as last year it was just Maxi and DFS.  Luka is obviously worth the defenses lapses most game and I actually think Hardaway is a good one on one defender (and draws a ton of charges which I feel never gets enough credit, shoutout JJB) but man Hardaway always seems to be giving help when it's not needed and it creates so many rotation issues for us.
Like Reply
(12-06-2021, 05:25 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: but man Hardaway always seems to be giving help when it's not needed and it creates so many rotation issues for us.

There have been times where THJ has literally run to the opposite side of the court leaving his man wide open in transition because he doesn't know where he's supposed to be.

He's good enough to stay in front of someone, but in an overall defensive scheme THJ is like a sieve. 

If he isn't giving 16-17ppg with 40% 3pt% then he isn't worth it. Seems like a high bar but that's what he was giving the Mavs before Kidd came into power/got his contract.

I saw a post a little bit back about trading THJ for Hayward and I'd be all over that. Hayward is exactly the kind of SF we've been needing. He can't just be left alone like DFS. Charlotte is also one of the few teams that might find Powell as an attractive piece given their need for a center.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2951...-dismissal
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
There's a greater expectation that any Portland roster shake-up would include starting center Jusuf Nurkic and/or swingman Robert Covington. The Blazers are presently known to be down on both players. Nurkic has not managed to recapture his impact from the Orlando bubble. And under Billups, Covington is playing his lowest minutes total since he first broke into the league with Philadelphia back in 2014-15. 
Like Reply
(12-07-2021, 11:39 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Jusuf Nurkic

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=82a1493biaz99mrc2mc9z62ysm...y.gif&ct=g]
Like Reply
I remember Covington being coveted by some here a few years back.

Is he still considered an impact player?

It looks like Nurkic added a 3pt shot to his arsenal after coming back from his leg injury. 

What would a trade look like? Is POR a potential destination for KP? I'm thinking the wouldn't want the big salary back if they were shedding players.
Like Reply
(12-07-2021, 12:01 PM)michaeltex Wrote: What would a trade look like? Is POR a potential destination for KP?

Not sure, but Nurkic has expressed his unhappiness in POR this past summer. He wants out. He is an expiring contract and will walk this summer if they don't trade him. He has a $12M salary this year. DP ($11M) for Nurkic gets the salaries close but the Mavs might need to add a sweetener.

I personally would love to trade KP to POR and get Nurkic and ??? in return.
Like Reply
How about this idea? Portland wants to go below tax but appear to try to remain competitive. They get ok center and ok PF both on cost controlled deals for another season. Mavs improve on center while hope RoCo could provide similar play as Maxi.
OKC: Powell, 3 SRP from Dallas
Por: Maxi, Favors
Dal: RoCo, Nurkic
Like Reply
(12-07-2021, 12:14 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Not sure, but Nurkic has expressed his unhappiness in POR this past summer. He wants out. He is an expiring contract and will walk this summer if they don't trade him. He has a $12M salary this year. DP ($11M) for Nurkic gets the salaries close but the Mavs might need to add a sweetener.

I personally would love to trade KP to POR and get Nurkic and ??? in return.
Salaries work, would you do KP/THJ/DFS for CJ/RoCo/Nurkic? You can fit just about anybody in that DFS spot, or not have anybody there at all (maybe a couple seconds instead?). Problem is the GM change up there. There's no telling what they would do at this point. I'd love to do that trade sans DFS cause I think DFS and RoCo would make a killer wing tandem.

Luka/CJ/DFS or Bullock/RoCo/Nurkic with the ability to go small and match up by replacing Nurkic with DFS or Bullock looks pretty appealing although, I have to say, not sure how well Nurkic plays D, it'd have to be pretty darn well with Luka and CJ in the lineup.
Like Reply
I would like Bamba.  Would love Isaac but he is probably not on the menu.
Like Reply
(12-07-2021, 12:31 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: would you do KP/THJ/DFS for CJ/RoCo/Nurkic?

[Image: c33f799c5b430970809f71fbcd00a549.gif]
Like Reply
(12-07-2021, 12:31 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: not sure how well Nurkic plays D

I think he is one of the better defensive bigs in the NBA. One of the reasons I love the fit with Luka.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...0161458187
[-] The following 1 user Likes ClutchDirk's post:
  • Tyler
Like Reply
Trade rumors are heating up folks...some good.options may be available...
Like Reply
Turner is one of those guys that might be gettable with Dallas assets. I wonder if there are Mavs players that RC loves.

LeVert has a really bad season and is injured a lot, but he might be that secondary creator next to Luka. A big gamble though. I wonder what his price might be. Would you give it a shot for a FRP?

I would think Warren and Lamb are available too. and their price shouldn't be high.
Like Reply
When did RC become the perpetual rebuild coach? Crazy.
Like Reply
(12-07-2021, 01:03 PM)omahen Wrote: I wonder if there are Mavs players that RC loves.

[Image: dwight-powell-of-the-dallas-mavericks-em...?s=612x612]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • ClutchDirk
Like Reply