Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over
(11-30-2021, 03:23 PM)michaeltex Wrote: In an ideal world, we could swap KP + ?, but I don't think that's happening. The next two salaries are DP and THJ, which a lot here are currently down on, and their salaries get you to $32.4MM. Add in Burke and you are at $35.5MM, just inside the 125% limit. It would take a huge issue off the table for HOU and give them three players a hell of a lot more tradeable than Wall. DAL gets Wall and a FRP in appreciation.

Honestly hope the Mavs would get way more than just a lone FRP to take on that Wall contract. Wall is due nearly 100mm this season and next. 

If the Rockets give at least 2 2nds as well then I'd be more intrigued. Wall wasn't that terrible last season. He's a turnover machine, but he still showed an ability to create and break down defenses to the tune of 20ppg. 

Here he'd be relegated to a 3rd scorer type. But I'm pretty confident that Wall would be a consistent 15ppg guy, and that's what the starting lineup needs. He'd be the most expensive ever 3rd guy, but beggars can't be choosers.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(11-30-2021, 11:13 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Honestly hope the Mavs would get way more than just a lone FRP to take on that Wall contract. Wall is due nearly 100mm this season and next. 

If the Rockets give at least 2 2nds as well then I'd be more intrigued. Wall wasn't that terrible last season. He's a turnover machine, but he still showed an ability to create and break down defenses to the tune of 20ppg. 

Here he'd be relegated to a 3rd scorer type. But I'm pretty confident that Wall would be a consistent 15ppg guy, and that's what the starting lineup needs. He'd be the most expensive ever 3rd guy, but beggars can't be choosers.

I guess it depends how badly their ownership wants to get under the cap.  KP + 4M (WCS) would put them just under $115m next year.  If you were lucky they might offer you a Nets pick or two and those are going to be late rounders.  

Part of the reason they didn't want Wall to play is to develop their young guys and not accidentally win games.  They are a really good drafting position thus far.  I'd question why'd they want to add KP to mix.  

Sounds like they are going to shop Wood so maybe there is a bigger trade that make more sense and involves the Mavs, but if we are talking just these two teams, I don't see it.
Like Reply
(11-30-2021, 07:47 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/SNYtv/status/1465767625233997824

Kemba/Robinson/our 2023 pick for JB/Powell
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(12-01-2021, 01:50 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Kemba/Robinson/our 2023 pick for JB/Powell

I'd do that....of course, at this point, I'm kind of peaking over at John Wall and Christian Wood, tbh.
[Image: giphy-downsized-large.gif]
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
This is the team Mavs should have assembled, including two star veterans and a young superstar, by trading KP, THJ and DFS. And drafting Bane:

Bane
DeRozan
Luka (PG on offense)
Maxi
Vucevic

You have all 5 capable of shooting - Luka friendly offense.

You have 4 capable of hurting you from the mid range game (Luka, DeRozan, Vucevic, Bane) - offers so many possibilities to design plays all off for others than Luka. Meaning Luka doesnt have to every time attack the rim in order for us to win games.

You have 3 players now able to attack the rim and score instead of one previously: Luka, DeRozan, Bane. Meaning again taking away pressure from Luka in doing that all the time.

Finally, you have two more leaders in addition to Luka, and you have that veteran leadership that we lack.

And you have the sixth man Brunson leading the second unit.

Well dont know if that was all possible and feasible. But certainly getting Bane and one of DeRozan or Vucevic was possible perhaps.

Adding veteran star power also more safely ensure we win in the next years and contend. Which makes much more likely getting Luka to stay here when he becomes at his peak later.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/basketbllnews/status...7627711492
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/Dame_Lillard/status/...9779875841
Like Reply
(12-06-2021, 11:05 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/Dame_Lillard/status/...9779875841

Is he talking about Tommy or Shams?
Like Reply
(12-06-2021, 02:31 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: Is he talking about Tommy or Shams?

He's talking about Shams, who I'm 100% sure had sources for the news.
Like Reply
(12-06-2021, 03:15 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: He's talking about Shams, who I'm 100% sure had sources for the news.

Ya...there's been enough smoke around this for a while.
Like Reply
(12-06-2021, 02:31 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: Is he talking about Tommy or Shams?

It was a response to a Tommy tweet that was tweeted by some random person and he seen it...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
My bold prediction for this year's trade season:

Indiana will move Sabonis, who might be the best player to actually change hands. 

He doesn't fit with Turner, which is why we've heard rumblings in the past of Turner being available. Sabonis is an all star, while Turner is just a very fine complementary player. Only we know that Carlisle loves Turner. He has gushed about him on several occasions, and he fits into the exact way Carlisle wants to play. Sabonis, while a great player, does not. 

He might fit into this system that Kidd wants to get going - I'm not sure. But, I don't think he fits next to Porzingis at all. Same problems they have in Indiana. You could argue the Mavs would be better off with Sabonis than with KP, but I'd say there's a 0% chance Indiana would have interest in that deal. Maybe a 3-way? Idk, maybe Dallas wouldn't even want Sabonis.

But, I bet Carlisle wants to move him. It will be interesting to see if he has enough juice in that organization to get it through.
Like Reply
(12-06-2021, 04:24 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: My bold prediction for this year's trade season:

Indiana will move Sabonis, who might be the best player to actually change hands. 

He doesn't fit with Turner, which is why we've heard rumblings in the past of Turner being available. Sabonis is an all star, while Turner is just a very fine complementary player. Only we know that Carlisle loves Turner. He has gushed about him on several occasions, and he fits into the exact way Carlisle wants to play. Sabonis, while a great player, does not. 

He might fit into this system that Kidd wants to get going - I'm not sure. But, I don't think he fits next to Porzingis at all. Same problems they have in Indiana. You could argue the Mavs would be better off with Sabonis than with KP, but I'd say there's a 0% chance Indiana would have interest in that deal. Maybe a 3-way? Idk, maybe Dallas wouldn't even want Sabonis.

But, I bet Carlisle wants to move him. It will be interesting to see if he has enough juice in that organization to get it through.

Kevin O'Conner just wrote about this on The Ringer.  All sounded pretty familiar.

He definitely wouldn't fit well with KP but I would think that he would fit better than KP with Luka...

I do think it doesn't address any of our issues in the front court defensively.
Like Reply
(12-06-2021, 04:33 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Kevin O'Conner just wrote about this on The Ringer.  All sounded pretty familiar.

You mean my prediction wasn't as "bold" as I'd hoped?! Damnit.
Like Reply
I would LOVE Sabonis.  I just don't see a realistic way we can get him.  First, I think it would be stupid for Indy to move him even if some may think he is empty calories.  Second, if he ever hits the market there will be a ton of team interested who have more assets than us.

But his passing, rebounding and inside scoring would fit like a glove.   I really want a point power forward guy who you can pass the ball to and run offense through.
Like Reply
(12-06-2021, 04:52 PM)Chicagojk Wrote:  I really want a point power forward guy who you can pass the ball to and run offense through.

If that's what you want, Siakim is very getable. I'd bet my life on that. 

The problem is that Kidd doesn't want to add a 4 - that would require playing KP almost exclusively at the 5. I'm with you, to be clear, but I wouldn't guess that it matches the current thinking around the Mavs' front office water cooler.
Like Reply
No more defensive liabilities at center. Just cannot get away with it. Sabonis is a nice player but when it matters most he is getting targeted on defense. Getting played off the floor in the play in games.
Also not as high on his offense. He was guarded by Luka for an entire game in the olympic qualifiers and couldn´t do anything.
Like Reply
(12-06-2021, 04:57 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Siakim

[Image: giphy.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(12-06-2021, 05:00 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: No more defensive liabilities at center. Just cannot get away with it. Sabonis is a nice player but when it matters most he is getting targeted on defense. Getting played off the floor in the play in games.
Also not as high on his offense. He was guarded by Luka for an entire game in the olympic qualifiers and couldn´t do anything.

I'm beginning to fall along this line of thinking these days.  We'd be better off getting another playmaker next to Luka who can handle the ball and build the defense from the frontcourt up.

Our roster is full of reliable wing defenders but it feels completely pointless sometimes without a strong presence around the rim.  I feel like that is what Kidd was talking about when he talks about "this team isn't built to play defense" because in theory....it kind of was when you look at what we've put around the wings lately.

(12-06-2021, 05:02 PM)Kammrath Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

I'd rather have Jerami Grant if we were going that direction but both of them would be great next to KP.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(12-06-2021, 05:04 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: I'd rather have Jerami Grant if we were going that direction but both of them would be great next to KP.

Agree...if the coach figures out that he's a center. 

To be clear, I think Kidd has figured this out, and the current lineup experimentation is just him trying to find a means to "load manage" Porzingis. Not a terrible thought.

But, the player and the team, to my thinking, aren't good enough yet to warrant taking their ability to play well with KP at center for granted yet. Even if that's the plan for the more important stretches of games after the All Star break and in the playoffs, there are still things that need to be taught/practiced/tweaked for the team to succeed, even with KP used properly. That's the difference between DAL/KP and LAL/Davis. That's the reason I wouldn't be approaching the season this way, even though I can understand the logic of what they're doing. 

If depending on KP (the right way) is necessary to reach your destination but you don't feel like you can depend on KP (the right way) until you get there, that's a big problem.
Like Reply