Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you have done as GM that would have gotten you an A+ this off-season?
I would've been impressed if they actually convinced Lonzo Ball or John Collins to come here.  Nice we got a really good young player for the long haul.  B or B+ already

Then I would've been impressed if they supplemented that move by signing a 27 year old role player to a really good contract like Richaun Holmes or Alex Caruso or heck both.  Now we're talking.  Added 1-2 great secondary pieces still in their prime.  A or A+ offseason

I wonder if my understanding of the A - F grading system is wrong.  A is exceptional.  B is good.  C is average.  D is bad.  F is terrible.  At least that's how I understand it.

What's funny is that I think most here would agree with me on the names listed above.  I saw kammrath posedt the same moves.  But then he turns around and gives the front office a B when they didn't accomplish any of those things.  Just admit it's your job as a moderator to keep forum morale high.  Same thing with the draft.  Didn't even have Josh Green on his list.  Then right after the pick, oh wow I really like this guy.

Even the guy that works for the team gave it a C lol.
[-] The following 2 users Like jesusshuttlesworth82's post:
  • hakeemfaan, omahen
Like Reply
(08-09-2021, 03:02 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Being able to attract top talent to play alongside a generational player is one of the primary jobs of the front office.  That's the only reason hiring Nico even makes sense.  Dude has zero experience in the NBA in any capacity: building a team, scouting, cap management, etc.

This is why I am pleasantly content with Nico’s moves thus far. Being new, there is a greater risk he could come in here and just start breaking things. 

This summer is a story of transition, (HAVE to sign Luka) and incremental improvement. 

He will get plenty opportunities to do something stupid. Last summer Mavs were taken over by a feeling of “we have to do something” and threw out a vital asset in Curry. In hindsight it was just so stupid. 

At least for now, Nico hasn’t done anything stupid and I’m good with the decisions.
Thank you Donnie.
Like Reply
(08-09-2021, 03:02 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Hey guys, none of the good free agents want to come to Dallas.  So lets get that out of the way first.
Ok now...what did you want the front office to do?

When you throw out a caveat that failure is to be expected, then you're not really making a genuine point like you think you're making.  

Being able to attract top talent to play alongside a generational player is one of the primary jobs of the front office.  That's the only reason hiring Nico even makes sense.  Dude has zero experience in the NBA in any capacity: building a team, scouting, cap management, etc.

What I've seen on the forum is a lot of people RUSHING TO PRAISE the new front office when there's no evidence it's any better than the previous front office.  They MOVED ON QUICKLY to other targets and signed a journeyman 30 year old role player.  Wow so impressive.  What we know is that their primary target was a 35yr old who didnt even give them the time of day.

There is a ton of validity here, imo. But, I do see some evidence of improvement. For example, the guys they signed seem like they're going to contribute on both ends of the floor (we hope). Then, there was the fact that they appeared to be much better at reading the situation over the 2-3 days leading up to free agency, giving them time to pivot instead of waiting on meetings only to be rejected. 

It's a low bar, but it's a start, imo. No argument whatsoever that the overall results are disappointing.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • hakeemfaan, jesusshuttlesworth82, Jmaciscool
Like Reply
(08-09-2021, 03:02 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Hey guys, none of the good free agents want to come to Dallas.  So lets get that out of the way first.
Ok now...what did you want the front office to do?

When you throw out a caveat that failure is to be expected, then you're not really making a genuine point like you think you're making.  

Being able to attract top talent to play alongside a generational player is one of the primary jobs of the front office.  That's the only reason hiring Nico even makes sense.  Dude has zero experience in the NBA in any capacity: building a team, scouting, cap management, etc.

What I've seen on the forum is a lot of people RUSHING TO PRAISE the new front office when there's no evidence it's any better than the previous front office.  They MOVED ON QUICKLY to other targets and signed a journeyman 30 year old role player.  Wow so impressive.  What we know is that their primary target was a 35yr old who didnt even give them the time of day.

The sad truth is that not shooting ourselves in the foot during an offseason is an improvement.  It's hard to evaluate Nico and the new MBT.  I think we'll have a clearer picture in a year once we see what a TDL looks like, what becomes of Zinger and how we handle a draft.
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • hakeemfaan, jesusshuttlesworth82
Like Reply
I would resign THJ.  Try to sign Drummond, or Monk for vet min.  Keep the MLE open and try to get either Holmes, Markannen, or Oubre, or Jackson.  I would also try to purchase the 53rd pick from the Pelicans, and draft Bassey.   I wouldn't mind a good bench defender/shooter with whatever is left over such as Bullock, Brown, Hart, or Burke.
Like Reply
We can't win a championship without someone else than Luka, that can take games over and dominate. It can't be more simple than that. I can't understand that is so hard to see. Role players. You can have ton of THJ's, Bullocks, DFS's etc. on your team and they definitely add value and you cant win either without these type of players. But when it heats up in playoffs and nobody else can dominate one on one matchups and score offensively, we will lose. All burden will be on Luka, and the team will lose, just like Mavs did and Slovenia did. Need someone else that you can give the ball and that player can score at will, just like Luka. Just like Kawhi and PG.

This is no criticism of Luka. But MJ and Kareem, and all the other greats, needed someone to take over the games to win consistently for a long period of years. Otherwise the defenses just focus on Luka, and they WILL find a way to stop him. We might be lucky a season and win the championship with other teams having that second star injured etc. but this is not becoming a dynasty with Luka only dominant offensive force.

KP has shown flashes he can be that and still might be actually. Its probably our best bet if no trades come.

So I will give this a rather neutral review for this offseason. At least we kept Luka and kept and added role players and therefore its nutreal. However, this Mavs team is not a dominant team that will ease through the regular season and is a lock for playoffs and to win the title. It will need some serious Luka magic, that we stay healthy, that opponenets have a star out, and that KP has his best season yet. Not likely that we will win. But imo it depends on KP, how far we go.

Mavs needed to get a player that can provide consistent offensive production and be the focal point of offense. THJ is NOT this player. He goes cold and hot, and is not the pivot, he is someone you pass the ball if he is open. Same with KP. We need a player that is the pivot and can dominate offensively and start the offense and get Luka some rest. No matter if that is a PG that starts far away from basket, or a PF that gets the ball in the post. Just a player that can be one on one mismatch, one way or another anywhere on the court, that can take over games, in one on one matchups, and is consistent in offensive production.
[-] The following 1 user Likes burekemde's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply