Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs rotation
(08-16-2021, 02:20 PM)DallasBasketball Wrote: Great, so Timmy is still signed? Just checking. I was worried there.  Big Grin
Of course he is. How could you ever doubt the #Nicotiator?  Rolleyes
Like Reply
(08-16-2021, 12:23 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: And THAT is how the Nicotiator DO!

He even came along and cleaned up Mark's mess. I guess Mark had snuck into Nico's office before Nico got there.
Like Reply
I love what this thread turned into
[-] The following 2 users Like soog's post:
  • embellisher, fifteenth
Like Reply
(08-17-2021, 01:15 PM)soog Wrote: I love what this thread turned into

You're a good sport! :-) Kudos to you!
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • soog
Like Reply
Closing lineup 
Luka
THJ
Bullock 
DFS
KP

2nd unit
Dragic 
Brunson 
S Brown
Markkanen 
Maxi

WCS in certain situations
[-] The following 3 users Like Jason Terry's post:
  • BasketballJones41, DanSchwartzgan, fifteenth
Like Reply
(08-18-2021, 06:09 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: Closing lineup 
Luka
THJ
Bullock 
DFS
KP

2nd unit
Dragic 
Brunson 
S Brown
Markkanen 
Maxi

WCS in certain situations

Outgoing for Dragic and Markkanen?  Powell/Green/Moses?  This is the dream, right?  Well, maybe Powell/Burke/Moses is the dream.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(08-18-2021, 06:09 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: Closing lineup 
Luka
THJ
Bullock 
DFS
KP

If we have Dragic I'd much rather have him there then C&S guys (get Luka some help on playmaking). Not counting on Lauri, I like our rotation (If we could somehow get Boucher for Burke as well, since TOR has a lot of forwards there, it'd be awesome, then I'd move Kleber to the SL in place of Timothy and have Boucher as the PF off the bench). I'm assuming Green/Powell/Brown for Dragic.

Dragic (26)/Brunson (22)
Hardaway (28)/Bullock (24)
DFS (30)/Brown (8)
Doncic (34)/Kleber (24)
KP (32)/WCS (12)

Still have a lot of problems (rebounding and forcing turnovers are the major ones), but it's a decent shot at getting to the 2nd round (can't see us going further with this roster).
Like Reply
I don't KNOW that Dragic would start here, obviously, but I think it's a pretty good possibility. For me the idea would be to have TWO of the Luka, Dragic, Brunson group on the floor together as much as possible. There would obviously be times when size and length would be more important than ball-handling, so there would of course be times when only one of those dudes would play with the wings/bigs.
Like Reply
Went to find a thread to put this in. Wouldn't it help our rotation if, because we have a full offseason, with plenty of time to heal, we get this version of this guy back?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVVnfSN3zQE
[-] The following 3 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • ballsrchr, embellisher, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
(09-23-2021, 10:59 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Went to find a thread to put this in. Wouldn't it help our rotation if, because we have a full offseason, with plenty of time to heal, we get this version of this guy back?

That's one of the things I'm looking for. I don't know if it was injuries, the aftereffects of Covid, or overuse, but I want the old version of Maxi back, but let's keep the 41% 3pt shooting.

Maxi as a good defender, playing 20-25 mpg with 41% from three makes us a better team.
Like Reply
(09-24-2021, 08:04 AM)embellisher Wrote: That's one of the things I'm looking for. I don't know if it was injuries, the aftereffects of Covid, or overuse, but I want the old version of Maxi back, but let's keep the 41% 3pt shooting.

Maxi as a good defender, playing 20-25 mpg with 41% from three makes us a better team.

He is a valuable role player, for sure.   I agree the 20-25 minutes is probably best for him.  I think ideally I would prefer him off the bench.   Although a guy who may finish several games.

I do think both him and Powell are going to be interesting trade targets next offseason.  Powell has only 6 million guaranteed and I believe Maxi is not guaranteed.   Would those two plus draft picks get you in a John Collins type deal?   Would that even be a direction the Mavs look at?  While the Mavs lack the clear cut young prospect, they do have several good contracts that could interest some teams if they included future picks.   i guess what I am saying, I think the team is setting themselves up for a Drue Holiday type trade if one came available.   I wouldn't expect that type of trade this year though.
Like Reply
Any new thoughts on rotation now that KP is a 4?  It definitely makes the way the roster is constructed make more sense.

At the risk of attracting the ire of others, I still love Timmy off of the bench.  To continue to argue it strategically I’d say it’s like using your rooks in chess - third strongest pieces in the game behind the Queen and King, don’t come out until mid-game letting knights and bishops have the early fun, then they dominate until the end.  

I’d envision a starting squad of 

Luka
Bullock
DFS
KP
DP

With Timmy being the first guy off of the bench.  And a closing squad of:

Luka 
THJ
Bullock
DFS
KP

If Timmy does come off the bench I’m going to start a new thread with my long “sales pitch” as first post.  If he starts I’m going to delete all of my posts on this subject and act like I never said any of this ?
[-] The following 1 user Likes soog's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
Guess it’s time for me to delete all of my posts and act like I never wrote any of this
Like Reply
(08-07-2021, 04:52 PM)soog Wrote: I’m one who wants to see THJ come off the bench.  I’m not going to call it a JET role though, I’m going to call it a an OKC-Harden role.  No he’s not harden but I think (don’t hate me for saying this) that much more will be required of him to carry this team at times than was required of JET.  When KD and Westbrook went to the bench and harden came on the floor for OKC, that became his team. If THJ comes off of the bench he will need to take over games in a similar manner.

I think Bullock and DFS are very similar players as has been said - players who need someone else to open things up for them, someone like Luka.  I also think THJ can be that other creator when Luka goes to the bench, someone who can put up points.  I think starting Bullock and DFS with Luka is the best way to get the highest production from them while trying to get the opposing team’s stars off to a bad start.  I also think asking Timmy to come off of the bench and carry the team when Luka sits puts more responsibility on his shoulders and asks him to do more to earn that new contract.

I think this gets the most out of everyone’s skill sets after you consider timing of rotations and needs in the second unit.  I would also envision THJ being one of the team leaders in minutes.  I would also envision that with this your lineup to finish games looks something like:

Luka/THJ/Bullock/DFS/KP

***cough***  ***cough***

Oh… how’d this get bumped back to the top… ?

(08-13-2021, 11:03 PM)soog Wrote: I have several thoughts on this idea that Timmy didn't flourish as a bench player and only showed promise as a starter.  Before I share them I'll share some analysis I did of Timmy’s stats as a starter vs coming off of the bench over the last two years.

I tried attaching a screenshot, though I'm not really sure how to do it.  Hopefully it shows up.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=36]

Oh… and this got bumped, too?  So strange……..
Like Reply
THJ benched. Bullock started two games. Looked good in the first, disasterous in the second. I'll need to see this team healthy before I pass final judgement, but I already know I like the look with THJ off the bench. Bullock as a starter is TBD... For him to stick it's all about knocking down shots. If he can't, I'd most like to see Ntilikina given a shot.

Frank is a big guard who plays even bigger due to his wingspan. I really like what I've seen from him defensively ... and he's looked pretty good on the offensive side too. Handles much better than Bullock. Clearly has a tons of upside. In fact, if Ntilikina can make his threes and play sound team defense he might be the archetype long term starter next to Luka.
[-] The following 2 users Like vfromlmf's post:
  • fifteenth, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
(09-23-2021, 10:59 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Went to find a thread to put this in. Wouldn't it help our rotation if, because we have a full offseason, with plenty of time to heal, we get this version of this guy back?

Kleber is by no means a star.

I am sure there are players like him out there, but players like him aren't that many.  He is up there in my list of favorite Mavs of all time (Dirk, Jet, Luka, Nash and Maxi). Would hate to lose him in a trade.

The good news is that, the Mavs have always had a German player in the roster for about 23 years now, it just feels awkward not to have one at some point, so.. I think the consolation for me if the Mavs are to lose Maxi is the thought that Franz Wagner will be a Mav.  Big Grin

But 2 Germans would be most welcome too.

Would you: trade KP for the Wagner Brothers + Garry Harris (expiring salary). Sure Mavs lose the shot blocking KP provides, but Franz is a tall playmaker who can create for himself and others. He isn't a sure thing of course, but then Harris wipes out the KP deal after the end of the season, so there's that.
Like Reply
(12-06-2021, 02:24 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Kleber is by no means a star.

I am sure there are players like him out there, but players like him aren't that many.  He is up there in my list of favorite Mavs of all time (Dirk, Jet, Luka, Nash and Maxi). Would hate to lose him in a trade.

The good news is that, the Mavs have always had a German player in the roster for about 23 years now, it just feels awkward not to have one at some point, so.. I think the consolation for me if the Mavs are to lose Maxi is the thought that Franz Wagner will be a Mav.  Big Grin

But 2 Germans would be most welcome too.

Would you: trade KP for the Wagner Brothers + Garry Harris (expiring salary). Sure Mavs lose the shot blocking KP provides, but Franz is a tall playmaker who can create for himself and others. He isn't a sure thing of course, but then Harris wipes out the KP deal after the end of the season, so there's that.

Well...I agree about Kleber.  No...he's not a star...he's a glue guy.  I like him and would hate to lose him.  It would have to be a special trade for me to let him go.  I think Maxi will continue to improve.  

I don't know anything about the Wagner brothers.  I did some research on them.  They seem to be worth a shot.  So...Gary Harris + the Wagner brothers for Kp?  Yes...I think I would...for all the reasons you stated.  I like KP when he's healthy.  I just don't think he can play in more than 60% of all games without being hurt.  Possibly hurt for a long time.  Then we would lose all value for him that he has (re)earned this season.  Assuming he can come back from the ankle injury...
Like Reply
(12-06-2021, 11:05 AM)ballsrchr Wrote: Well...I agree about Kleber.  No...he's not a star...he's a glue guy.  I like him and would hate to lose him.  It would have to be a special trade for me to let him go.  I think Maxi will continue to improve.  
This is very much, in my mind, how Cuban thinks of most of the players on the roster and is the biggest issue with getting him to trade them.

Pretty much over this thought at this point. Everyone should be available sans Luka, and everything must go, not for peanuts, but go none the less. This is where I have a sale, but jack up the prices then the sale price is normal.

Also, Maxi is my favorite of the Mavs that have grown up here, but if there is a trade that looks to make this team better and more in line with Kidd's vision and he is the hold up? Trade him!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • ClutchDirk
Like Reply