Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ARTICLES & PODS: ROSTER OVERHAUL NEEDED
(07-06-2021, 09:49 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Simmons is one of the best transition players in the league. Prior to his meltdown in the Hawks series he was a good finisher in the paint. Not to mention that he creates a lot of scoring opportunities for his teammates. Just needs the right supporting cast. Running a post heavy offense with a non shooting PG is a bad idea. Same for lineups that feature non shooters like Thybull and/or Howard.
Thanks to Embiid´s injury history we know that SImmons can average 18pts/10ast as the focal point of a league average offense. What we don´t know is what he can do as a small ball big. Some of us think that he would be the perfect pick and roll playmaker (more athletic Draymond). Others point out that he has never played in that kind of role and prefers to be the main ballhandler.

He's had multiple supporting casts, multiple coaches, multiple systems. There's one thing in common here and that's Ben. He's never shown the ability to run the half-court offense in the playoffs and he's beyond useless off-ball. The idea that he can become Giannis-lite is nothing but wishcasting based on zero evidence. Might as well give a max salary to Willie because he might turn into Shaq next year, who knows.
Like Reply
(07-06-2021, 10:08 AM)Branduil Wrote: He's had multiple supporting casts, multiple coaches, multiple systems. There's one thing in common here and that's Ben. He's never shown the ability to run the half-court offense in the playoffs and he's beyond useless off-ball. The idea that he can become Giannis-lite is nothing but wishcasting based on zero evidence. Might as well give a max salary to Willie because he might turn into Shaq next year, who knows.

Two different coaches. Doc Rivers and Bret Brown. Both not exactly known for their X´s and O´s. Sometimes even playing next to two bigs and another big forward (Embiid, Horford, Harris). More often than not with questionable spacing around him. Played his entire career next to a dominant post player. Never had the option to play more of an drive and kick game next to Embiid. Already mentioned his numbers without Embiid. They suggest that he can do a lot more with a lineup that is build around his strengths. Notice that I compared him to Draymond. Not Giannis. Simmons lacks the score first mentality but he is a better passer.
If you aren´t willing to engage in an honest discussion we can stop right here. I don´t think our current conversation is adding anything to this board.
Like Reply
(07-06-2021, 09:49 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Some of us think that he would be the perfect pick and roll playmaker (more athletic Draymond). Others point out that he has never played in that kind of role and prefers to be the main ballhandler.

Yeah, THIS is the question with Simmons, especially from any kind of Mavs angle.
Like Reply
(07-06-2021, 01:02 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, THIS is the question with Simmons, especially from any kind of Mavs angle.

Another ballhandler/playmaker next to Luka sounds great on paper and there are no certainties that any combo will work out, but when you factor in what Morey is going to ask for Simmons (I doubt he'll waive his trade kicker) , Simmons massive contract and the concern over how much is offense skillset will be effected by playing next to a really high usage Doncic, it just seems like too much of a gamble.  If his offensive game shrinks as much as KP's has, do you want to pay 33-40M a year for premiere defender that might not give you much on the offensive end?
Like Reply
(07-06-2021, 10:33 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Two different coaches. Doc Rivers and Bret Brown. Both not exactly known for their X´s and O´s. Sometimes even playing next to two bigs and another big forward (Embiid, Horford, Harris). More often than not with questionable spacing around him. Played his entire career next to a dominant post player. Never had the option to play more of an drive and kick game next to Embiid. Already mentioned his numbers without Embiid. They suggest that he can do a lot more with a lineup that is build around his strengths. Notice that I compared him to Draymond. Not Giannis. Simmons lacks the score first mentality but he is a better passer.
If you aren´t willing to engage in an honest discussion we can stop right here. I don´t think our current conversation is adding anything to this board.
I think you're right in the sense that there's little point in discussing a player when we can't talk about what he actually is but when he's solely discussed in terms of people projecting him into what they want him to be.

Simmons has been the exact same guy for his entire career. He's shown zero growth.
Like Reply
(07-06-2021, 05:08 PM)Branduil Wrote: Simmons has been the exact same guy for his entire career.

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=16169354]
Like Reply
(07-06-2021, 05:08 PM)Branduil Wrote: I think you're right in the sense that there's little point in discussing a player when we can't talk about what he actually is but when he's solely discussed in terms of people projecting him into what they want him to be.

Simmons has been the exact same guy for his entire career. He's shown zero growth.

I mean...he turned from an okay to good defender into a top 3 defender in the league. That´s certainly growth.
Again. I am interested in an honest discussion. We are talking about the things KP could do under a new coach. We are talking about DeRozan and what he could do. All of that includes projections. Why are we giving them the benefit of the doubt. Not like they changed or improved over the last couple of years. Not like they are any better than Simmons (in my opinion they are worse). 
Of course we don´t want Simmons to be the main ballhandler on a team with bad spacing. Next to a post up big that occupies the paint. But wee have never seen him in a different role. That´s the intriguing part. What can he do when he is the only non shooter on the floor. What can he do with better spacing. What can he do as the roll man next to a another ballhandler.
Like Reply
I do believe that Simmons could be exactly what the Mavs want in a secondary ball-handler to Luka. He could play the entire time that Luka sits as ball handler and then run as the 4/small ball 5 when Luka is in...
The next piece would be a JET to be the shooter.
Like Reply
(07-06-2021, 06:49 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: The next piece would be a JET to be the shooter.

[Image: 200w.gif?cid=82a1493btobm0os4ptsu9zl0vqe...w.gif&ct=g]
Like Reply
(07-06-2021, 06:50 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: [Image: 200w.gif?cid=82a1493btobm0os4ptsu9zl0vqe...w.gif&ct=g]

Too expensive, too inconsistent.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/bdameris/status/1412911420069617670
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(07-06-2021, 05:08 PM)Branduil Wrote: I think you're right in the sense that there's little point in discussing a player when we can't talk about what he actually is but when he's solely discussed in terms of people projecting him into what they want him to be.

In his NBA career, mostly true, in fact his shooting actually got worse this last offseason. 

On the other hand in terms of his entire basketball career, he actually had jump shot in High School, winning championships, which raises the possibility that he could actually fix his shot.  He is 24 just about to turn 25, too soon to say he won't change. 

Like Reply
(07-11-2021, 10:28 PM)Dahlsim Wrote:

I'll continue to say that I don't think his shot is broken.  The form looks fine.  He just doesn't shoot.  Even in that video, you can see defenders slack off of him at the arc, him not even thinking about shooting when wide open,  as well as him not being in a good shooting position when catching passes.  It's all mental for him.
Like Reply
(07-12-2021, 02:26 PM)cow Wrote: I'll continue to say that I don't think his shot is broken.  The form looks fine.  He just doesn't shoot.  Even in that video, you can see defenders slack off of him at the arc, him not even thinking about shooting when wide open,  as well as him not being in a good shooting position when catching passes.  It's all mental for him.

The form he's using in that video is so drastically different to the form he has now. Look at his free throw shooting where his elbow is. It's so far out that he has no power or control under it. Need a 90 degree angle there and it to be lined with your shoulder. Simmons has a case of a chicken bow with no arc.

Thankfully thats fixable. If he wants it to be.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply