Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
2021 FREE AGENCY: Markkanen wants out of CHI | DAL "definitely interested"
What could Maxi, Powell and Brunson fetch in trade?
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 08:03 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: What could Maxi, Powell and Brunson fetch in trade?

Collins after Kawhi says yes...

At the TDL THJ will headline our Lillard trade...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 07:29 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Like most of our other options…not ideal.  But I’m pretty sold that Kidd is keeping KP and I’m struggling to understand the chorus that is singing the Holmes to Dallas song if KP is indeed staying.

I guess Holmes is like a Powell upgrade but it does seem like a weird fit next to KP.
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 07:29 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: With that said Shams, as recently as yesterday, reported Dallas is in on Holmes.  Shams is really well connected and Holmes works with a single client agent.  I get that reporters do the bidding of agents at times, but this isn’t some power broker agent. Its just Pedro.

So, is there a world in which KP is staying and we are interested in Holmes?  Kidd has specifically said he’d like to get KP back to NY-KP.  Guess what?  KP played with a Center next to him almost all of the time in NY.  He was +3 defensively his first season and +5 his second.  I get that the NBA has changed since then and most presume 5-out is the only way this can work.  But, we have a new sheriff in town and we will definitely have a new way of doing things defensively.  The other issue is that we would have a kagillion dollars invested in bigs if we keep KP/DP/Maxi and add Holmes (and we don’t have much of anything left over for a secondary ball handler). 

Like most of our other options…not ideal.  But I’m pretty sold that Kidd is keeping KP and I’m struggling to understand the chorus that is singing the Holmes to Dallas song if KP is indeed staying.

Yep right here with you.

Interest in Holmes either means:

1) KP MIGHT be out in some scenario (sign and trade for Kawhi?).

OR

2) Kidd and Nico are ready to put a second big next to KP. I personally think there isn't a much better second true big to put alongside KP than RH. As far as bigs next to KP I like the fit a lot.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheAthleticNBA/statu...1029316609
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 07:55 PM)Tyler Wrote: The simplest explanation is that we should probably spend some time talking about potential Maxi/Powell trades.

Yeah, that is where my mind went also.  Just speculating here on the assumption KP stays and Holmes is signed with space:

I think Maxi stays in that scenario as he can play with either KP or Holmes in a rotation.  I think Powell is part of the outgoing and WCS either stays or is replaced (or brought back) using the rMLE (any KP team needs four bigs to mitigate injury risk).  If you sign Holmes for $18mm with JRich opted in and let go of the WCS TO, you have about $6.7mm left to outbid teams offering either of the smaller MLE options ($5.9mm for the TP MLE and $4.9mm for the R MLE).  Could that get you Holmes and Batum?

If you package Powell and an opted in JRich, you can bring back a $28.4mm player.  

Toronto comes to mind after reading through the exercise done in The Athletic yesterday.  They need a C and Powell going home isn't the worst idea.  There is also some value to JRich backing up Trent and Anunoby at the 2 and the 3.  

This works less well with Utah and Conley.  A year of JRich would be useful, but Powell is more expensive than Favors.  A third team would be needed.  

Something else that works financially is Boston for Smart and Thompson.  But, it doesn't help them sign Fournier and stay under the LT and adds $11mm to their 22/23 cap.  

I could see a Portland deal if Norman Powell selects Dallas here.  They need a Kanter replacement and you could probably clear DJJ off of their books if NPowell starts in the area of $19mm.  Of course, if you can do NPowell for $19mm, there are ways of doing Holmes and THJ also.  I think NPowell has a bit more off the bounce and a bit more as a passer.

There is always the possibility of adding a third team.  There are some teams that would take DPowell or JRich with the right incentive.  If we are getting these kinds of names after adding Holmes and some smaller dollar addition, that all works for me.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • duboh7, Hogmelon
Like Reply
Holmes seems like a player you get because you can. Definitely not an ideal fit, but he did have one season of 35% shooting from the three, so maybe he can play in Luka’s preferred five out scheme, but I doubt it.  Outside of JC and KL, and maybe NPowell, no one commanding big money in this class is of any interest to me (including THJ).  I’d just try to find three mid level diamonds in the rough if one of those three doesn’t work out.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/HoopAnalysisNet/stat...2346916864
Like Reply
(07-24-2021, 11:35 AM)omahen Wrote: https://twitter.com/HoopAnalysisNet/stat...2346916864
Teams need to keep trading Westbrook all around the league. Seems every time he comes to town, the best players start demanding trades!
Like Reply
(07-24-2021, 02:57 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Teams need to keep trading Westbrook all around the league. Seems every time he comes to town, the best players start demanding trades!

As long as they don't trade him here...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(07-22-2021, 10:08 AM)F Gump Wrote: The idea of a "prove it" deal with Oladipo, and the Mavs getting Bird rights to use after a year (in case he proves it and they need to offer him a new deal with a massive raise), is not solved by a sign-and-trade.

-- Issue #1 is Bird rights. They only convey, for use on the next deal, if the full 3+-year contract is played to its end. So there's no way for VO after year one to turn that SNT deal into a new, bigger deal after he proves it (if he does).

-- Issue #2 is contract commitment. Oladipo would not commit to 3 years at a small MLE-like "prove it" salary in the first place. 

If VO wants a one-year reduced salary "prove it" deal, it's way more likely he'll either take someone's one-year MLE offer (perhaps with a PO for year 2), or re-sign with MIA on a deal like that, and then go back in the FA pool in 2022.

Personally I'm not all that enamored by Oladipo. He had a good stretch until he got injured a few years ago, and while it would be great to get THAT player, that was then, not now. That player no longer exists, unfortunately.

First, thanks for the post.  I learned something.  BTW, this concept of Bird rights not conveying came up in the Kyle Lowry Mock Free-Agency story in The Athletic yesterday and I probably would have missed it if not for this post.

I'm not enamored with Oladipo either, but when a guy (especially a Jordan Brand guy) signs with Excel days before becoming a Free Agent, I think it is worth exploring.  My original statement  was that I wouldn't want Dipo on a one year MLE deal.  The issue is it doesn't provide a way for Dallas to retain him in year two absent space.  The concept of a S&T had two benefits in my mind:  

1.  Ability to pay what we need if he turns out to be close to what he used to be at his peak (which turned out to not be cap-legal)
2.  Ability to leverage outgoing salary.  

The idea behind #2 is that we spend all available space on one player and leverage up the salary to get a second player using the trade spread instead of space.  If JRich opts out, there are probably easier ways to create the extra space.  But, it could really help if he opts in.  

In either case, the outgoing deals I suggested would have allowed a fairly large contract to come back.  If the idea is to have a chance to keep him (if he happens to "prove it") and since you won't be able to rely on Bird rights with only one year guaranteed, then the best way to keep him past a year (again absent space) is to pay a number large enough that 120% of it would satisfy him next summer.  

Unless I'm missing something (again), I think a S&T could have value in the sense of getting you to a non-Bird retention strategy (especially with a JRich opt-in).  As I said in my post...I fully expect to be surprised (as in disappointed) by how much we might pay Dipo on a one year deal.  I'm not sure I care as long as he is the second FA brought in and doesn't impinge in any way our ability to land our primary target.
Like Reply
(07-24-2021, 11:35 AM)omahen Wrote: https://twitter.com/HoopAnalysisNet/stat...2346916864

https://twitter.com/legionhoopsross/stat...09768?s=21
Like Reply
(07-24-2021, 03:57 PM)JamesConway Wrote: Ross
@LegionHoopsRoss
One team to watch in a potential Bradley Beal trade?

The Dallas Mavericks.
10:07 AM · Jul 24, 2021

https://twitter.com/legionhoopsross/stat...09768?s=21

So, if Kawhi is a pipe dream, what is the word that describes something even less likely to happen.
Like Reply
One thing hasn't changed. The Mavs are linked to everyone, free agent or not
Like Reply
(07-24-2021, 04:00 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: So, if Kawhi is a pipe dream, what is the word that describes something even less likely to happen.

Crack Pipe Dream isn't strong enough.  Crack House Dream.
Like Reply
Edited the initial post to note POs exercised. 9 POs and 11 TOs on which we await word in the coming 8 days.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • ClutchDirk
Like Reply
(07-24-2021, 03:56 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: First, thanks for the post.  I learned something.  BTW, this concept of Bird rights not conveying came up in the Kyle Lowry Mock Free-Agency story in The Athletic yesterday and I probably would have missed it if not for this post.

I'm not enamored with Oladipo either, but when a guy (especially a Jordan Brand guy) signs with Excel days before becoming a Free Agent, I think it is worth exploring.  My original statement  was that I wouldn't want Dipo on a one year MLE deal.  The issue is it doesn't provide a way for Dallas to retain him in year two absent space.  The concept of a S&T had two benefits in my mind:  

1.  Ability to pay what we need if he turns out to be close to what he used to be at his peak (which turned out to not be cap-legal)
2.  Ability to leverage outgoing salary.  

The idea behind #2 is that we spend all available space on one player and leverage up the salary to get a second player using the trade spread instead of space.  If JRich opts out, there are probably easier ways to create the extra space.  But, it could really help if he opts in.  

In either case, the outgoing deals I suggested would have allowed a fairly large contract to come back.  If the idea is to have a chance to keep him (if he happens to "prove it") and since you won't be able to rely on Bird rights with only one year guaranteed, then the best way to keep him past a year (again absent space) is to pay a number large enough that 120% of it would satisfy him next summer.  

Unless I'm missing something (again), I think a S&T could have value in the sense of getting you to a non-Bird retention strategy (especially with a JRich opt-in).  As I said in my post...I fully expect to be surprised (as in disappointed) by how much we might pay Dipo on a one year deal.  I'm not sure I care as long as he is the second FA brought in and doesn't impinge in any way our ability to land our primary target.

You're welcome. And yeah, if I understand what you're saying, you're still chasing ideas that don't work.

If you get VO in a sign-and-trade with only one year guaranteed, and he outplays the contract, he's not going to be a free agent in 2022, with the Mavs hoping a 20% raise is enough. (Not that they could offer him a 20% raise using rights, however, as they would have NO rights on him, if they waived his deal.) But, they would already have him under contract, so no way they'd waive him.

There's really not a "prove it" scenario available using the sign-and-trade mechanism, unless VO is trying to prove himself in year one in order to get to be a Mav for another 2 years at about the same salary.

"I fully expect to be surprised (as in disappointed) by how much we might pay Dipo on a one year deal" --- I can't imagine any scenario in which the Mavs would use their 2021 cap room, or MLE, on a player in which they are getting a one-and-done commitment. If so, what a fail in roster building.
[-] The following 3 users Like F Gump's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, Mapka, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
My only thought is @"F Gump" is if Mavs do some deal with VO (maybe not full MLE?) as an agent favor to help make sure Collins is steered the Mavs way. This type of horse trading I think goes on all the time. I don't know that Mavs would have to go this far bc they will probably be offering a max deal and that alone might be good enough to get Collins on board absent multiple max deals.
Like Reply
Anyone wants to start the Fournier to the Mavs thread? He was superb today against the USA.
Long time Mavs Fan from Turkey who wakes up in the middle of the night to watch the Mavs games.
[-] The following 1 user Likes TurkishMFFL's post:
  • ClutchDirk
Like Reply
(07-25-2021, 12:11 PM)TurkishMFFL Wrote: Anyone wants to start the Fournier to the Mavs thread? He was superb today against the USA.

As the 3rd team in a potenial Beal to the Celtics trade. Fournier (sign/trade 3/50) and Smart to Dallas. Send KP to the Wizards.
Like Reply