Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
2021 FREE AGENCY: Markkanen wants out of CHI | DAL "definitely interested"
No FRPs, we almost have our hands untied from the KP trade.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
I will give them a top 29 protected 1st that converts to a top 58 protected 2nd, that otherwise disappears so we don’t get stuck with the inability to trade as we wait for it to convey
Like Reply
(08-11-2021, 10:04 PM)F Gump Wrote: When we hear from Stein that the Dallas Mavericks are definitely interested in Markkanen and that they would love to get him, my ears perk up because it's Stein

Yep. And the fact that we also have heard a few times that the feeling is mutual and Markkanen is definitely interested in Dallas is also a good sign. I get the distinct feeling that if there's a deal to be done it's Nico's to make.

As for where Lauri fits in Dallas -- you know how Dallas often likes to talk about being opportunistic? This is what that looks like. When you have a chance to snag a decent young asset on a reasonable contract thanks to unusual circumstances, you make the deal and figure things out later.
[-] The following 8 users Like Tyler's post:
  • BasketballJones41, From Dirk to Luka, Jommybone, Mavs2021, michaeltex, Paul Gasol, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(08-11-2021, 10:10 PM)Kammrath Wrote: 1) One of the things we have learned so far about how Nico wants to build this team around Luka is with shooting. RB and SB both shot over 40% from three last year. So did LM. So I think the primary draw is shooting (and youth like you said).

2) I think it signals that either DP or Maxi are outgoing in a deal for LM OR that the Mavs are planning some other trade(s) that would shuffle the big man deck. No way the Mavs add another big without at least one or two outgoing some way, some how.

Given that shooting (and defense) seem to be a Nico priority, don't see them sending Maxi out (at least hope not).

Given that Chicago does not want salary back, and Powell is probably a negative asset, don't see him going.

I think it will be some combination of WCS/Moses/Terry/2nd round pick.  Anything else would be too much.

(08-11-2021, 10:40 PM)Tyler Wrote: Yep. And the fact that we also have heard a few times that the feeling is mutual and Markkanen is definitely interested in Dallas is also a good sign. I get the distinct feeling that if there's a deal to be done it's Nico's to make.

As for where Lauri fits in Dallas -- you know how Dallas often likes to talk about being opportunistic? This is what that looks like. When you have a chance to snag a decent young asset on a reasonable contract thanks to unusual circumstances, you make the deal and figure things out later.

Would have made even more sense for Schroder, given desperate need for secondary playmaker (and point of attack defender).  He must be a total asshole.
Like Reply
(08-11-2021, 10:47 PM)mvossman Wrote: Given that shooting (and defense) seem to be a Nico priority, don't see them sending Maxi out (at least hope not).

Given that Chicago does not want salary back, and Powell is probably a negative asset, don't see him going.

I think it will be some combination of WCS/Moses/Terry/2nd round pick.  Anything else would be too much.

Would have made even more sense for Schroder, given desperate need for secondary playmaker (and point of attack defender).  He must be a total asshole.

Maybe we turn in the Brunson chip if the Mavs love LM.  Problem is we need to dust off a few vets/fallen angels to replace his production and we can of need that anyway as a rotational piece unless Kidd is the ultimate Burke whisperer.
Like Reply
Nico should go to Karnisovas and say: It´s your choice, do you want the first for Markkanen now or Lavine next summer. Big Grin
Like Reply
(08-11-2021, 10:52 PM)cow Wrote: Maybe we turn in the Brunson chip if the Mavs love LM.  Problem is we need to dust off a few vets/fallen angels to replace his production and we can of need that anyway as a rotational piece unless Kidd is the ultimate Burke whisperer.

F that!  I would much rather have Brunson that Lauri.  And that would seem crazy considering we are already desperate for playmaking.

(08-11-2021, 10:17 PM)DrMav Wrote: I will give them a top 29 protected 1st that converts to a top 58 protected 2nd, that otherwise disappears so we don’t get stuck with the inability to trade as we wait for it to convey

Problem with that is it keeps us from trading other firsts until it conveys.  Those firsts are probably our best avenue to improve the team in the future.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(08-11-2021, 11:01 PM)mvossman Wrote: F that!  I would much rather have Brunson that Lauri.  And that would seem crazy considering we are already desperate for playmaking.

Problem with that is it keeps us from trading other firsts until it conveys.  Those firsts are probably our best avenue to improve the team in the future.

You have one year of Brunson left.  Trading that for three years of LM.  That assumes the Mavs love LM.  That gives you value.  And yes, it would suck as it weakens a position we are already razer thing at.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/stat...2348580868
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • Mavs03, Tyler
Like Reply
(08-11-2021, 11:13 PM)cow Wrote: https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/stat...2348580868

I'm floored how people can figure that out.  Very interesting that Nico is following Markkannen.  If we do end up trading Powell, Burke and Green for Dragic...Markkannen would be a terrific replacement.

Luka
THJ
Bullock
DFS
KP

Brunson
Dragic
Brown
Kleber
Markkannen

The question is...how can we trade for Markkannen?  WCS and draft capital?

That's a top 4 team in the West if healthy.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mavs03's post:
  • BasketballJones41, fifteenth, From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(08-11-2021, 11:18 PM)Mavs03 Wrote: I'm floored how people can figure that out.  Very interesting that Nico is following Markkannen.  If we do end up trading Powell, Burke and Green for Dragic...Markkannen would be a terrific replacement.

Luka
THJ
Bullock
DFS
KP

Brunson
Dragic
Brown
Kleber
Markkannen

I'm going to go as far as top 2.
Offense will not be a problem with that team, and the regular season is more about offense (and who remains healthy).
The question would be -- is that team good enough to reach the WCF?

There's a Lloyd Christmas chance that happens.
[-] The following 2 users Like Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • BasketballJones41, From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(08-11-2021, 11:01 PM)mvossman Wrote: Problem with that is it keeps us from trading other firsts until it conveys.  Those firsts are probably our best avenue to improve the team in the future
I’m being a bit tongue in cheek because I know no NBA team would likely ever accept such protections, but my idea would be this is only valid for one season. It would be better if we didn’t already have restrictions and could do it for 2022.

Basically I don’t want to give up a 1st and not even really a 2nd.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/...5133533186

Can anyone help me understand this.  Looking at a Bulls message board, there is a poster saying the above is not really accurate.  He says Lauri's cap hold is 20 million so until they get that sorted out they are pretty much stuck.   So out of the 23M before they get to the 143 hard cap, 20 million is Lauri's cap hold.   So they have under three million for 3 roster spots to fill out their roster.   Maybe this is not a big deal if they want to sign minimum guys but if they are looking to add a Millsap type, this limits them.

Also, I am under the impression that Moses Brown cannot be traded until October.   is this accurate.
Like Reply
(08-11-2021, 11:18 PM)Mavs03 Wrote: Luka
THJ
Bullock
DFS
KP

Brunson
Dragic
Brown
Kleber
Markkannen

The question is...how can we trade for Markkannen?   

That's the dream.  Sending out Powell certainly makes sense if the idea is all shooters all the time around Luka.

Some notes about Chicago...

They haven't used their MLE or their BAE and they have a $5mm TPE.  They have 8 players under contract and agreements in place with Bradley and Green and a QO out on Devin Dotson.  The #38 pick might make the roster or might be a two-way.  So, they need some more bodies.  

Option 1:  Trade Match

One of the rules of BYC is after the deal they can't be over the tax including holds.  This is problematic if we trade match because they likely have to give up their exceptions.  This is why people say they have a tax issue when it looks like they don't have nearly enough salary to have a tax issue.  A third team taking some of our outgoing salary solves this, but using a third team makes it less likely two-year Powell is the outgoing.  Unfortunately, if Devonte Graham is worth a first rounder, why wouldn't Markkanen yield the same.  If not a first, then what player/players would Chicago want instead.  I suspect, given how bad they are defensively, that Green would need to be in that conversation.  You really can't cobble together enough salary unless either Powell or Maxi is in the outgoing of a trade match.

Option 2:  TPE

I won't repeat all that has been said about why Markkanen wouldn't want to be under team control for the required 3 years of a S&T into our TPE.  BTW, could someone please tell the "locked on" guys that a TO in the 2nd and 3rd year doesn't solve the issue for LM.  The Chicago TPE plays a role in a deal where LM settles for a deal starting at $11mm.  It allows us to send back some salary.  Green and Moses probably make the most sense out of the possibilities we have that add up to $5.0mm.  Taking back about $4.7mm on top of what they have already probably allows them to keep their MLE.  It solves the issue of needing a third team, but LM doesn't get the money he wants and Dallas still has quite a log jam at the big rotation...KP/DP/WCS/Boban/Maxi/LM and we often count DFS as a four also. Not sure it matters much until next season when we are paying tax on all these salaries. 

I'm not sure if Nico is super patient or scared of making a mistake.  Either way, we don't appear to be in any hurry to make a bad deal.
[-] The following 5 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • DallasBasketball, From Dirk to Luka, michaeltex, Paul Gasol, ReunionMav
Like Reply
(08-12-2021, 07:01 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: That's the dream.  Sending out Powell certainly makes sense if the idea is all shooters all the time around Luka.

They haven't used their MLE or their BAE and they have a $5mm TPE.  They have 8 players under contract and agreements in place with Bradley and Green and a QO out on Devin Dotson.  The #38 pick might make the roster or might be a two-way.  So, they need some more bodies.  

One of the rules of BYC is after the deal they can't be over the tax including holds.  This is problematic if we trade match because they likely have to give up their exceptions.  This is why people say they have a tax issue when it looks like they don't have nearly enough salary to have a tax issue.  A third team taking some of our outgoing salary solves this, but using a third team makes it less likely two-year Powell is the outgoing.  Unfortunately, if Devonte Graham is worth a first rounder, why wouldn't Markkanen yield the same.  If not a first, then what player/players would Chicago want instead.  I suspect, given how bad they are defensively, that Green would need to be in that conversation.  You really can't cobble together enough salary unless either Powell or Maxi is in the outgoing of a trade match.

I won't repeat all that has been said about why Markkanen wouldn't want to be under team control for the required 3 years of a S&T into our TPE.  BTW, could someone please tell the "locked on" guys that a TO in the 2nd and 3rd year doesn't solve the issue for LM.  The Chicago TPE plays a role in a deal where LM settles for a deal starting at $11mm.  It allows us to send back some salary.  Green and Moses probably make the most sense out of the possibilities we have that add up to $5.0mm.  Taking back about $4.7mm on top of what they have already probably allows them to keep their MLE.  It solves the issue of needing a third team, but LM doesn't get the money he wants and Dallas still has quite a log jam at the big rotation...KP/DP/WCS/Boban/Maxi/LM and we often count DFS as a four also. Not sure it matters much until next season when we are paying tax on all these salaries. 

I'm not sure if Nico is super patient or scared of making a mistake.  Either way, we don't appear to be in any hurry to make a bad deal.

What is he supposed to do? We offered the deal, there is nothing we can add at a realistic basis. All the money in the TPE with full guarantees for Markkanen and the TPE and two secondrounders for Chicago.
We don´t have anything else to spare. And the Dragic thing will settle itself out without us until he is buyed out - or a FA.
Like Reply
Wait…so Stein is credible again?  Rolleyes
[-] The following 1 user Likes wmffl87's post:
  • DallasBasketball
Like Reply
(08-12-2021, 07:01 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Option 1:  Trade Match

One of the rules of BYC is after the deal they can't be over the tax including holds. 

Where did you get this from? I've never heard of such a rule. But there are so many, that it's easy to miss some, I guess.

I won't repeat all that has been said about why Markkanen wouldn't want to be under team control for the required 3 years of a S&T into our TPE.  BTW, could someone please tell the "locked on" guys that a TO in the 2nd and 3rd year doesn't solve the issue for LM. 

More impactful than the fact that LM wouldn't like a TO in years 2 and 3 of a snt is the fact that TO's won't be in there anyhow. They aren't legal.

The Chicago TPE plays a role in a deal where LM settles for a deal starting at $11mm.  It allows us to send back some salary. 

You're making it more complicated than it is on trade mechanics.

Fitting incoming salary within an existing TPE can be a mechanism to a bigger TPE. But it's not necessary to a deal. In this case, all that's needed is CHI's willingness to accept that salary of that amount.

CHI is dealing with the hard cap in relation to their various cap holds and exceptions. One consequence is that they may end up having to discard exceptions. So this is part of the equation for them in assessing any trade. For that reason, in some scenarios  they may actually prefer a smaller TPE than a larger one. Or they might renounce MLE or BAE, in favor of keeping TPE possibilities. It's an interesting exercise in caponomics math for CHI's various possibilities (and one I'm not spending real time to figure out).

Like Reply
(08-12-2021, 07:01 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: That's the dream.  Sending out Powell certainly makes sense if the idea is all shooters all the time around Luka.

I would think WCS makes sense for the TPE route.  Throw in a second or two and Chicago is better off than sitting on a disgruntled Lauri for a year and then letting him walk for nothing.
Like Reply
(08-11-2021, 11:18 PM)Mavs03 Wrote: I'm floored how people can figure that out.  Very interesting that Nico is following Markkannen.  If we do end up trading Powell, Burke and Green for Dragic...Markkannen would be a terrific replacement.

Luka
THJ
Bullock
DFS
KP

Brunson
Dragic
Brown
Kleber
Markkannen

Are you suggesting that LM would come off the bench?
Like Reply
While I am not fond of the idea of giving Lauri more than a TPE-sized contract, if we go the trade-matching route and Powell is outgoing, that likely justifies the use of an FRP.

I wish we had Dragic as a bird in the hand, because then I think you can trade Brunson to NY for our '23 back and route that to Chicago, replacing Brunson with either DSJ or Smokes.
Like Reply