Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
2021 FREE AGENCY: Markkanen wants out of CHI | DAL "definitely interested"
(08-07-2021, 08:29 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: He already looked a lot better on defense in his 2nd season with the Mavs. At least on the ball. If I am not completly wrong he even had a game winning block in the last few seconds of a game. Shooting percentages were improving as well. I wasn´t as high on DSJ but he really screwed himself. It´s not like he wasn´t improving in Dallas. Just couldn´t handle the lesser role next to Luka.
Cannot really explain what happened afterwards. He had some bad luck with injuries but that´s not enough to explain why he declined so badly.

Thanks for the insight!
Like Reply
(08-07-2021, 08:29 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: He already looked a lot better on defense in his 2nd season with the Mavs. At least on the ball. If I am not completly wrong he even had a game winning block in the last few seconds of a game. Shooting percentages were improving as well. I wasn´t as high on DSJ but he really screwed himself. It´s not like he wasn´t improving in Dallas. Just couldn´t handle the lesser role next to Luka.
Cannot really explain what happened afterwards. He had some bad luck with injuries but that´s not enough to explain why he declined so badly.

Couple of things to add
1). Went to a dumpster fire program with the Knicks and in addition to that, the morons signed like 4 PGs while he was there and I don't think he ever got a decent shake.
2). Injuries, like you said, and then pitching up with Detroit, which isn't the greatest place.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
(08-07-2021, 01:14 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Markannen has two very interesting things going for him: he's a big who can shoot (very valuable) and he's young (relative to Kleber, Powell, etc). 

I'm into both of those qualities. 

But, I see people here assuming that if he was acquired and given a big role here it's a forgone conclusion that he'll take the next step and be a notable player. I'm not so sure about that. 

I'd love him on a "wow, they got Markannen for that?" level of contract, but he's not the type of player I think they'll kick themselves for not taking a huge risk to snag, imo. Could be wrong, obviously.

Absolutely. And I think Mavs are probably of the same mindset. 
I think Lauri only makes sense if Kleber is dealt elsewhere too. 

Lauri is exactly what I thought he was coming out of the draft. He's a shooter and that is it. There's no hidden potential there except for him to continue to get better there. 

I like the idea of adding Lauri as KP insurance too.
Like Reply
Going to NY is the highest media-pressure in the league, especially compared to Dallas where no one cares about anything except the Cowboys. He was also THE centerpiece of the KP trade, at least until Knicks fans started claiming Julius Randle was part of the trade.
Like Reply
How awesome would it be if DSJ came back and became a good player and was an asset again. Like that would be the most hilarious Knicks thing to happen. Every pick and player they got in the trade was awful for them but all when on the Mavs are good lol.
[-] The following 3 users Like cjeter24's post:
  • fifteenth, Jmaciscool, Tyler
Like Reply
(08-07-2021, 09:43 PM)cjeter24 Wrote: How awesome would it be if DSJ came back and became a good player and was an asset again. Like that would be the most hilarious Knicks thing to happen. Every pick and player they got in the trade was awful for them but all when on the Mavs are good lol.

Oh man. DSJ and KP both have to become each player's best self, on the Mavs, coached by ex knick JKidd...just to punish the Knicks for being the Knicks.
Like Reply
(08-07-2021, 10:20 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Oh man. DSJ and KP both have to become each player's best self, on the Mavs, coached by ex knick JKidd...just to punish the Knicks for being the Knicks.

Haha just to punish them for being the Knicks that's good stuff. 

On a serious note, Mavs need to get back to getting younger guys at or around the minimum as reclamation projects and making something of them. We used to do that all the time.
Like Reply
Mavs really aren't in a position to make fun of the Knicks for being the Knicks.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • jesusshuttlesworth82
Like Reply
I was against giving DSJ a try mainly because he hasn't proved to be very good and because he have on the team mid season with his hold out stunt. But then, Washed Mavs says he and luka are friends, and CJ says we can make the Knicks look more silly.  

So I'm in.

(08-07-2021, 10:30 PM)cow Wrote: Mavs really aren't in a position to make for of the Knicks for being the Knicks.

Mavs ABSOLUTELY should not think about things like that. I can though.

(08-07-2021, 10:30 PM)cow Wrote: Mavs really aren't in a position to make for of the Knicks for being the Knicks.

Like Reply
(08-07-2021, 10:32 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Mavs ABSOLUTELY should not think about things like that. I can though.

Mavs aren't.  Mavs' fans shouldn't.
Like Reply
(08-07-2021, 10:36 PM)cow Wrote: Mavs aren't.  Mavs' fans shouldn't.

Ha! I'm not worried about SHOULD  and SHOULDN'T. I'm in this for fun! I have no responsibility to fan appropriately! 

FAN(ATIC) cow cow

If you're a sports fan odds say that your team will mostly suck. You can lean into that and be miserable, or you can just say screw it and cheer for your team irrationally. 

I'm gonna choose to go ahead fan foolishly!
[-] The following 2 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(08-07-2021, 11:57 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Ha! I'm not worried about SHOULD  and SHOULDN'T. I'm in this for fun! I have no responsibility to fan appropriately! 

FAN(ATIC) cow cow

If you're a sports fan odds say that your team will mostly suck. You can leam into that and be miserable, or you can just say screw it and cheer for your team irrationally. 

I'm gonna choose to go ahead fan foolishly!

Cheering for your team irrationally =/= dumping on another franchise, especially when your own franchise is in the bottom tier of the league.  The Knicks have done a good job with their franchise of late and are certainly more worthy of a tip of a cap than a jeer.
Like Reply
My initial thought on DSJ is no.   I think right now DSJ would welcome any contract from an NBA team.   He is close to running out of opportunities until he proves himself again.   In some ways he is similar to Mudiay who bounced around for a bit but suddenly he was gone from the league last year.    Whoever gives him a contract, I assume it will be low $ and not a lot guaranteed.

Also, I believe the attraction with Goran is he can play with both Jalen and Luka (Maybe if Goran was acquired maybe Jalen starts and Goran leads the bench unit?).   I am not sure DSJ fits well with either Luka or Jalen.  Or at least, there are not better options out there.   

Although as mentioned, players develop at different rates.  There was very little buzz when Reggie Jackson was released by Detroit.   As mentioned, someone brought up Cam Payne too.   So there is certainly a chance he gets another chance and makes the most out of it.  I would be surprised if it was Dallas though.

Someone brought up about the possibility the Mavs were surprised when Goran's contract was picked up. I have mentioned this before and the more I think about it, I think it may have some legs.   I am totally guessing and have not intel, but it makes sense that one of the paths was to resign THJ, pick up a 3 and D wing and then sign Goran.   Working with Toronto and offering less than ideal assets doesn't seem like a firm plan.   If you are Dallas, you had to think the market for Goran at 19 million was not existent and you wouldn't think a rebuilding team like Toronto would have any interest in him.   Kudos for Miami to being able to move him and also keeping their exemptions....if they didn't cheat.  Ha ha.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • DallasBasketball
Like Reply
What I remember of DSJ is, he doesn't have enough PG skills. He's a heck of an athlete who's too small to be a SG and not enough of a consistent shooter to be a SG. Probably would benefit from playing in Europe and learning the fundamentals of the game. He's always made it on athleticism, but at the NBA level his lack of consistency hurts him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes david75090's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Markkanen doesn't really address a specific need for the Mavs, but they can't complain about adding more talent. I'm assuming they would take him if he fit into the Richardson trade exception. At that price he's almost certainly an asset, so sign me up.

Hard pass on DSJ. If you want to burn bridges and then come back, you better have developed your game. From what I can see he hasn't improved anything.
Like Reply
(08-08-2021, 08:42 AM)loki Wrote: Markkanen doesn't really address a specific need for the Mavs, but they can't complain about adding more talent. I'm assuming they would take him if he fit into the Richardson trade exception. At that price he's almost certainly an asset, so sign me up.

Hard pass on DSJ. If you want to burn bridges and then come back, you better have developed your game. From what I can see he hasn't improved anything.

Back when Julius Randle was a free agent and wanted to come to Dallas, people would say, we need defense, Randolph is a black hole on defense, he puts up meaningless stats, etc, etc.  Randle was a monster offensive talent even in New Orleans, he was young and getting better.  Markannen has hit a mental and physical wall and has not played well last year.  Its true he doesn't fit any specific need except one.  He has talent.  Thats why its worth the risk and right now he will not cost much.
[-] The following 1 user Likes haveitall's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
(08-08-2021, 09:06 AM)haveitall Wrote: Back when Julius Randle was a free agent and wanted to come to Dallas, people would say, we need defense, Randolph is a black hole on defense, he puts up meaningless stats, etc, etc.  Randle was a monster offensive talent even in New Orleans, he was young and getting better.  Markannen has hit a mental and physical wall and has not played well last year.  Its true he doesn't fit any specific need except one.  He has talent.  Thats why its worth the risk and right now he will not cost much.

I liked Randle bc he would put up ridiculous stat lines. I don't think LM would do that but heck if we can get him for TPE sign me up.
Like Reply
(08-08-2021, 09:08 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: I liked Randle bc he would put up ridiculous stat lines. I don't think LM would do that but heck if we can get him for TPE sign me up.

Markannen has put up plenty of ridiculous stat lines.  Here are a couple  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uZQYKTAgq8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GJIAPmIk7k

He looks elite in pick and roll in those highlights
[-] The following 1 user Likes haveitall's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
(08-08-2021, 08:42 AM)loki Wrote: Markkanen doesn't really address a specific need for the Mavs, but they can't complain about adding more talent. I'm assuming they would take him if he fit into the Richardson trade exception. At that price he's almost certainly an asset, so sign me up.

I guess THJ + Lauri from the bench would offer a lot of firepower. At least in the Clippers series the bench offense died a lonely death. Better bench scoring, and the Mavs win game 3, and i think also the series.

29.8 negative offensive swing when Luka got to the bench. 89.8 offensive rating without Luka. This wasn't even just a secondary playmaker problem or a Brunson problem. Just needed guys to put the ball into the hoop without Luka.

The entire bench scoring from the regular season was gone. Brunson Clippers struggle + Tim moved to the starting 5.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sefant's post:
  • SweetFidelia
Like Reply
(08-08-2021, 01:30 AM)cow Wrote: Cheering for your team irrationally =/= dumping on another franchise, especially when your own franchise is in the bottom tier of the league.  The Knicks have done a good job with their franchise of late and are certainly more worthy of a tip of a cap than a jeer.

Well, that's true that Knicks have done a good job recently. Kudos to them for that. 

When the Mavs were historically bad in the 90's one of my favorite NBA things to do was to watch the blood bath that would take place in the playoffs each year between the Knicks, Heat and Pacers. I really didn't even have a favorite, just favorite players. I liked Reggie Miller, Alonzo Morning, Anthony Mason. I liked Ewiing but hated Starks. 

Anyway, I liked the Knicks because of that 90s run of the awesome entertainment of eastern conference playoff baskball. Then they went on that crazy 20 year run of mismanagement. So forgive me if I still think of that 20 years when I think of the Knicks. I actually kind of like that they're doing better. 

Anyway, anyway, what the heck? Love you cow cow, but why are you ref-ing me dumping on another franchise? That seems silly. Even if the Mavs returned to their 90s level of disfunction that would't prevent me from commenting on other franchises. I'm not the Mavs. 

The dumping on the Mavs around here is WAY MORE irrational, imho opinion, than me making a little joke about the Knicks! And I don't see you refereeing that!
[-] The following 2 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • Mapka, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply