Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
2021 FREE AGENCY: Markkanen wants out of CHI | DAL "definitely interested"
(08-06-2021, 05:50 PM)RasheedsBigWhiteSpot Wrote: (insert Sizzler metaphor here)

There is an "eat me" joke here somewhere.
Like Reply
(08-06-2021, 05:49 PM)cow Wrote: None of the major entrees this offseason wanted a seat at Mark's table and honestly, there weren't a lot of great options on the menu.  Reggie's a fine addition and on a contract that is very moveable.

I can’t say who wanted to meet with the Mavs but I can say that waiting on Dragic ( who is one slip away from having a broken hip due to osteoporosis) is not the solution.
Like Reply
(08-06-2021, 05:55 PM)Bayliss Wrote: I can’t say who wanted to meet with the Mavs but I can say that waiting on Dragic ( who is one slip away from having a broken hip due to osteoporosis) is not the solution.

I don't think they are waiting for Dragic.  I'm guessing Nico's mind set is:  Would he be nice to have?  Sure.  Are we going to pay anything of value for him?  Absolutely not.

I think it's fine to question the strategy of the roster as it sits today, but I'm not going to judge Nico on what happens with Dragic.  The old guard probably would have made a bad decision and traded for him and that's probably what Ujiri expected when he accepted the deal from the Heat in the first place.
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • DallasBasketball, VintagePejav2
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/IraHeatBeat/status/1...4974093314
Like Reply
(08-06-2021, 06:16 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/IraHeatBeat/status/1...4974093314

How do the Mavs not have knowledge on these things before pursuing free agents?
Like Reply
(08-06-2021, 06:44 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: How do the Mavs not have knowledge on these things before pursuing free agents?

I don't fault them for this. You have to kick the tires, and I'm sure Lowry's agent was doing his best to keep all options that seemed realistic on the table, for both insurance purposes and to up the bidding (which, OMG was that successful). So, I'm sure they were hearing positive things from Lowry's camp for a while. AND, they pivoted right away, which, as many have pointed out, is an improvement to how Cuban/Donnie did things. 

We can't get mad at them for not making specific people sign here, but if it were my team I'd have sold a kidney to come out of this summer with a veteran ball-handler, somehow. That's what they need and so many of them were available! Idk, maybe they'll still pull it off.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • ClutchDirk, Jmaciscool, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(08-06-2021, 06:49 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm sure Lowry's agent was doing his best to keep all options that seemed realistic on the table, for both insurance purposes and to up the bidding (which, OMG was that successful).

Yep.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • Jmaciscool
Like Reply
(08-06-2021, 06:49 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don't fault them for this. You have to kick the tires, and I'm sure Lowry's agent was doing his best to keep all options that seemed realistic on the table, for both insurance purposes and to up the bidding (which, OMG was that successful). So, I'm sure they were hearing positive things from Lowry's camp for a while. AND, they pivoted right away, which, as many have pointed out, is an improvement to how Cuban/Donnie did things. 

We can't get mad at them for not making specific people sign here, but if it were my team I'd have sold a kidney to come out of this summer with a veteran ball-handler, somehow. That's what they need and so many of them were available! Idk, maybe they'll still pull it off.

What did they pivot to? Lowry was likely coming here in a SnT - so re-signing THJ, Bullock for MLE, and Brown for BAE were also part of the Lowry plan. Doesn’t seem like there was much of a back-up plan.
[-] The following 2 users Like VintagePejav2's post:
  • jesusshuttlesworth82, omahen
Like Reply
(08-06-2021, 07:14 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: What did they pivot to?

I just mean they didn't go through the dog and pony show with Lowry (or Kawhi, for that matter) while the Bullocks of the world went of the board like we've seen them do far too often. 

As far as what else they pivoted to, I've been trying to figure that one out, too. Maybe you can ask Bob at your next card game.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • ClutchDirk, Jmaciscool
Like Reply
(08-06-2021, 07:20 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I just mean they didn't go through the dog and pony show with Lowry (or Kawhi, for that matter) while the Bullocks of the world went of the board like we've seen them do far too often. 

As far as what else they pivoted to, I've been trying to figure that one out, too. Maybe you can ask Bob at your next card game.

Meh. When was the last time they were strung along by a big fish and lost out on free agents? I obviously recall Dwight Howard in 2013, but I believe they showed a change the following summer when they quickly pivoted from Carmelo to Parsons.
Like Reply
So I had to look up what the Rubio trade to Cleveland actually was since I had forgotten it happened (a frequent occurrence with anything involving Cleveland).

I'm assuming Cleveland made the trade for the picks and not really for Rubio based on where their team's at, so maybe they might be a good trade partner?

Also, what's George Hill doing these days?  Did he get signed?

Not flashy or splashy names, but maybe gettable?
Like Reply
(08-06-2021, 07:35 PM)Jmaciscool Wrote: So I had to look up what the Rubio trade to Cleveland actually was since I had forgotten it happened (a frequent occurrence with anything involving Cleveland).

I'm assuming Cleveland made the trade for the picks and not really for Rubio based on where their team's at, so maybe they might be a good trade partner?

Also, what's George Hill doing these days?  Did he get signed?

Not flashy or splashy names, but maybe gettable?

Cleveland sent the pick in the Rubio trade. George Hill is returning to the Bucks.

Rubio in CLE is definitely worth watching.. when they inevitably suck and decide to tank again. Not sure how attainable he is at the moment. I do think he’d be great here, despite the shaky shooting - he’d fit well next to both Luka and Brunson, IMO.
Like Reply
(08-06-2021, 07:45 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: Cleveland sent the pick in the Rubio trade. George Hill is returning to the Bucks.

Rubio in CLE is definitely worth watching.. when they inevitably suck and decide to tank again. Not sure how attainable he is at the moment. I do think he’d be great here, despite the shaky shooting - he’d fit well next to both Luka and Brunson, IMO.

Cleveland sent the picks?  Oh wow, that...is so Cleveland.  Guess that rules out that option, at least for now like you mentioned.
Like Reply
(08-06-2021, 07:45 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: I do think he’d be great here, despite the shaky shooting - he’d fit well next to both Luka and Brunson, IMO.

He'd be the best point of attack defender they've had in a long, long time, imo. 

Maybe that's the role they have in mind for Sterling Brown, idk. But, you can always use more.
Like Reply
Marc Stein says on his Greenroom that the Mavs did aggressively pursue Dragic in a trade but Toronto wouldn’t hear it. Toronto will not buy him out.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status...5784812545
[-] The following 3 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • BigDirk41, Scott41theMavs, VintagePejav2
Like Reply
(08-06-2021, 08:54 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status...5784812545

Vet min camp battle?
Like Reply
(08-06-2021, 08:08 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: Marc Stein says on his Greenroom that the Mavs did aggressively pursue Dragic in a trade but Toronto wouldn’t hear it. Toronto will not buy him out.

Seems like Toronto really wants Dragic to flip later. 

Disappointing to say the least.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Am I wrong to think that the Lauri thing is being over complicated?

I keep seeing numbers suggested at 15 mill or above. Why would the Mavs be interested at that price and who is paying him that? 
I get Lauri can sign his QO but he just wants out.

If he wants out and wants to come to the Mavs, take a 3 year deal with a PO that fits in to the TPE. He'll get at least 22 mill and he'll be guaranteed even more money if his market is worse or he gets hurt. 

Personally I think the issue with all the SNT stuff has been what teams have been paying to do SNT. Mavs don't have many assets and don't want to part with any of them for guys who the teams have no interest in signing. Absolutely insane you are seeing 1sts getting dealt for guys that had 0% chance of resigning with their team. Just say fine. You get no TE. They can go sign elsewhere. 

It feels like that's the approach Mavs could be taking and perhaps the Lauri SNT to other teams with assets never happens. Perhaps Lauri saying he's going to sign the QO unless you trade me to a specific team would change things. 

I think Lauri has to force his way here if he winds up on the Mavs. I don't think Mavs are interested enough in him to actually pay anything of value. 

I would assume that teams are asking for Brunson or Green in SNT deals or even some type of 1st or 1st swap and the Mavs don't like the players well enough to do those deals. Heck... I don't like any free agent this entire offseason other than Kawhi to do that type of deal.
Like Reply
(08-06-2021, 09:21 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Seems like Toronto really wants Dragic to flip later. 

Disappointing to say the least.

I think they’re overplaying their hand. They held out for too much at the deadline for Lowry. Then they had to accept a “meh” package for him in a sign-and-trade.. no way they were going to hold firm and block the GROAT to Miami and destroy their reputation.

The best they’re going to do for Dragic is a salary dump and pick(s). Maybe the team dumping will just buy out Dragic then.
Like Reply