Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
2021 FREE AGENCY: Markkanen wants out of CHI | DAL "definitely interested"
Big picture question: Has any team significantly bettered themselves this off-season?

(I don't think the Mavs have done anything great, but I also don't think they've hurt themselves, and I think at least part of that is just that this was an incredibly weak free agent class to begin with, and that's coming into more focus as I see how little the prospects of any team have changed so far).
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 12:24 PM)Arioch Wrote: Big picture question: Has any team significantly bettered themselves this off-season?

(I don't think the Mavs have done anything great, but I also don't think they've hurt themselves, and I think at least part of that is just that this was an incredibly weak free agent class to begin with, and that's coming into more focus as I see how little the prospects of any team have changed so far).

I suppose that if you like Westbrook (I don't) you could argue that LA has. 

I'm pretty confident that Miami will be better than last year, but I don't know if they'll catch the lighting they had in the bubble again. Bam was SPECIAL that season. 

It's not a bad question.
Like Reply
Miami's acquisition of Lowry will make minor to no difference in the final result of their season.

I doubt they get past the second round in the East without Brooklyn or Milwaukee or Philly (or really Boston) having a catastrophic injury or roster substraction.

Write it down.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
same shit, different year

$30 million in cap space and Bullock is the big acquisition.  at least he can shoot unlike Delon Wright

a month ago everyone taking about all the big names and how Nico is connected.  now everyone talking about he only got the job a month ago.  bad free agent class.  what did you expect?
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 12:31 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: Miami's acquisition of Lowry will make minor to no difference in the final result of their season.

I doubt they get past the second round in the East without Brooklyn or Milwaukee or Philly (or really Boston) having a catastrophic injury or roster substraction.

Write it down.

Hey, you might be absolutely right. 

But, in addition to slippage in play from Adebayo, it's obvious that they planned on Herro's great bubble season being the new norm, and that he didn't live up to that this year. I do think Lowry makes them better by addressing that. Probably not better enough to get past the top 3 teams in that conference, I agree. But, better. 

I think @"Arioch" asked a good and interesting question. I was just applying the most basic of criteria to my answer.
Like Reply
This article(i know its bleacher report) predicts the Mavs do a sign and trade for DeRozan. Would anybody be interested in this?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2946...gency-news
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 12:32 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: same shit, different year

$30 million in cap space and Bullock is the big acquisition.  at least he can shoot unlike Delon Wright

a month ago everyone taking about all the big names and how Nico is connected.  now everyone talking about he only got the job a month ago.  bad free agent class.  what did you expect?

Which contract given out do you wish we would've done? Would said contract been plus THJ or instead of?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Okstate819's post:
  • TXBamanut
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 12:38 PM)Okstate819 Wrote: Which contract given out do you wish we would've done? Would said contract been plus THJ or instead of?

Ball, Powell (would have done 4/90 instead of 5 if necessary), Fournier, Holmes, Graham.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 12:40 PM)mvossman Wrote: Ball, Powell (would have done 4/90 instead of 5 if necessary), Fournier, Holmes, Graham.

Cool. So we add one of those guys and lose THJ. Are we significantly better?
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 12:38 PM)Dova Wrote: This article(i know its bleacher report) predicts the Mavs do a sign and trade for DeRozan. Would anybody be interested in this?

No.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/IanBegley/status/142...5338431488
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 12:24 PM)Arioch Wrote: Big picture question: Has any team significantly bettered themselves this off-season?

So far -- Not many. Chicago is probably the closest in terms of impact additions, but even then it's TBD how they will translate on the floor. Their big move last season has yet to pay dividends in the W column.

LA and Miami made lots of noise, but in the end I think they're really lateral moves on aging teams. More hype than substance.
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 12:43 PM)Okstate819 Wrote: Cool. So we add one of those guys and lose THJ. Are we significantly better?

Ball, Powell and probably Fournier yes.  The other two could be done together with cap to spare, yes.  There were a lot of options to split up the cap for mid tier guys that probably make more sense.  We need defense and secondary play making.  We got neither.  Luka is going to set usage records the way this team is constructed.
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 12:43 PM)Okstate819 Wrote: Cool. So we add one of those guys and lose THJ. Are we significantly better?

Holmes, maybe. The others are at best the type of marginal improvement we got by replacing JRich with Bullock.
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 12:45 PM)Tyler Wrote: Not many. Chicago is probably the closest in terms of impact additions, but even then it's TBD how they will translate on the floor. Their big move last season has yet to pay dividends in the W column.

Yeah, I didn't list them because there's just something about what they're doing that I don't buy, for whatever reason. But you're right, they should be included. Made a lot of positive change on paper, for sure.
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 12:38 PM)Okstate819 Wrote: Which contract given out do you wish we would've done? Would said contract been plus THJ or instead of?

Even the same talking points from two summers ago lol
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 12:38 PM)Dova Wrote: This article(i know its bleacher report) predicts the Mavs do a sign and trade for DeRozan. Would anybody be interested in this?

A bit of a double-edged sword with him
He'll make it pretty much impossible to trap Luka for an entire half. Derozan would destroy you 4 on 3. No one on the roster now can do anything close to what he could do in that instance
So right there he raises our playoff ceiling.
But on the other end he sucks defensively and he in a very poor fit in a regular Luka ran offense
I think he'd drop our win total in the regular season
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 12:46 PM)mvossman Wrote:  Luka is going to set usage records the way this team is constructed.

If this team is done being constructed, I would agree with that.
Like Reply

Rockets , Pistons, Bulls IMO.
Think GSW and Lakers most likely too.
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 12:48 PM)Okstate819 Wrote: If this team is done being constructed, I would agree with that.

Yeah, I disagree that they didn't add defense. 

But, it's super interesting that Cuban's mission statement was to add a playmaker and that's the one thing we all agree they haven't accomplished yet.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Okstate819
Like Reply