Poll: Jason Kidd Superstar Franchise Coach?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
For him-Lets see what he can do with Luka
63.16%
36 63.16%
Against- Mavs are spiraling out of control
12.28%
7 12.28%
Undecided- Need evidence Kidd can coach
24.56%
14 24.56%
Total 57 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Jason Kidd: For or Against
I am wait and see, with a hope for the best about Kidd.
Like Reply
If Kidd can bring in someone skilled to do the heavy lifting for the defensive game plans and let Luka handle most of the offense — all he really needs to do is make sure players are happy and not get in the way otherwise to screw things up. 

It’s really not too much to ask for, tbh. I’m not sure I want him to “coach” a ton as much I just want him to “manage” player personalities — which might be more along his strengths.  Pls, don’t screw this up. 

Hit me.
Like Reply
FOR
Like Reply
I am for him precisely because he is our coach. Mark is our owner by the way so I root for the team we have.
Like Reply
What other coaching candidate has as much credentials amongst players?  As good as Mosely is, it would mean Doncic would be the coach, which would not be good.  Kidd is a HOF player, and has a great basketball mind, everyone agrees, but he can also run a team, which he hasn't shown as a coach yet.  However the question is out of any past players, which player had the strongest leadership quality?  Definitely Kidd.  He was all about the intangibles:

https://newyorkknicksmemesdotcom.files.w...spill1.gif
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 12:31 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Don't be silly. A good percentage of my posts are way summer than that

My apologies.  I can't believe I sent that.  Way too many drinks last night.
Like Reply
I am against, since we don't have enough cap space probably to get a star.  So his main draw, that star players love Kidd, is pretty much irrelevant in the short-term. 

Now, I am also pro-KP, so trading him to get another star would probably not sit well with me, but I would trade him to get a superstar.  If J-Kidd can do that in the next year, yay-rah.

Really, I think when Rick Carlisle suggested that Luka and Kidd team up, it was like trying to set up your ex with a known asshole.  Make both people miserable.
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 09:30 AM)mvossman Wrote: My apologies.  I can't believe I sent that.  Way too many drinks last night.

My apologies! I can't even spell "dummer"!
Like Reply
For.

Losing Carlisle was a major hit. Replacing him with Kidd is solid.

Kidd is competent. He has the player coach attributes and the championship experience I wanted. He also has the respect of the players.

I think execution will be the big test, but I think there’s a chance he can succeed. I think worst case scenario is he looks a little below average and best case scenario we are surprised by how good he actually is.(Carlisle-lite w other GREAT attributes)
Thank you Donnie.
Like Reply
I am for Kidd bc I like his track record as a player development guy. He will also have a say in the MBT front office.

Star players really like him so I like the combo of Nico and Kidd being moves to attract stars.
Like Reply
My take is that Nico is being brought in because he is a very connected guy, good on the business side and is a real closer. My big complaint with the plan powder wasn't so much that they did it. It's that they did it poorly. Cuban doesn't appear to be able to sell Ice to an Eskimo and clearly Donnie wasn't a salesman.

Kidd is a very player friendly coach. Again, very well liked and connected. The plan is to bring in big time FA to play with Luka. Kidd will manage rotations and overall scheme. Luka will likely coach from the floor like Kidd did during the 2011 season.

This is all being set up, from my eyes, to bring in big time players and let Luka coach with a flow offense. I would feel better if Kidd had experienced assistants. But, I'm slightly optimistic about this whereas before I was pretty much done with Cuban. At least now I'm willing to wait before passing judgement to see if it works. It seems to be a well laid plan.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/Velleius_NBA/status/...16224?s=19
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 12:39 PM)Thukydides Wrote: https://twitter.com/Velleius_NBA/status/...16224?s=19

lol...always interesting here in Mavs land.
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 12:36 PM)audiosway Wrote: But, I'm slightly optimistic about this whereas before I was pretty much done with Cuban. At least now I'm willing to wait before passing judgement to see if it works. It seems to be a well laid plan.

Sucks for Luka that we flamed out in the first round like we did, but maybe it'll end up being for the better. 
No way Luka was going to stay happy here long-term if we kept the status quo
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 12:05 AM)Kammrath Wrote: His 1st season in MIL his top 5 minutes guys were ALL 23 years old or younger. He led them to 41-41 after they went 15-67 the year before.

Bro

https://giphy.com/gifs/theoffice-nbc-the...JFy0X6Y4qY
Like Reply
Minutes Per Game is kinda misleading. Young Michael Carter-Williams got 30MPG, top 3 on the team, but only played in 25 games for example. 

Going by total minutes played, Kidd’s rotation in Milwaukee was older. He did play Giannis and Middleton big minutes so props for that I guess but after that it was basically the oldest players on the roster. 

Later on in his tenure there, I believe his unwillingness to play a young Malcolm Brogdon more was one of the reasons things soured there.
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 12:39 PM)Thukydides Wrote: https://twitter.com/Velleius_NBA/status/...16224?s=19

Thanks for the link and time set. I searched for more on this and found;

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nba.nbcspor...leads/amp/ 

Describing that and another instance like it. Sounds like Kidd is willing to go with his gut even when the probabilities and risk/reward don’t favor it. These two stories are NOT encouraging, but I also don’t think you can disregard his whole coaching experience because twice he’s willing to think outside the box and can be wrong.
Thank you Donnie.
Like Reply
Really very mixed about Kidd.  On one hand, I think Xs and Os are overrated in the NBA.   Baseball discovered a while back that it was best if the coaches followed the advice of their analytics departments in regards to strategy.  Managers just need to deal with personalities in the lockerroom and basically get out of the way of the talent without messing things up with the need to over-coach,  trying to dazzle everyone because their  ego has to put an imprint on the game.   I think basketball will get there eventually too, if they aren't there already (Ty Lue is not suddenly some Xs and Os genius ..  Ballmer poured a lot of money into analytics and they're feeding him the rotations and matchups).     On the otherhand, I think Kidd has a gigantic ego and isn't one to just go with what his analytics department tells him.     On one hand, I think Kidd could be great for Luka and bringing in basketball talent.   On the other, this could end in a personality trainwreck because well ... it's ended in a personality trainwreck in his other two stops.
Like Reply
Kidd has a reputation as a demanding and rigid coach, though without the winning record to show for it. A few weeks before he was fired from his last head-coaching job, with the Bucks, Kidd blamed his team’s struggles on the youth of its roster. “I think when you, you know, become 25 or, you know, in the 28 range, you tend to think about the game,” he said. “We’re talking about kids that are thinking about trying to put the ball in the basket.” The following season, those same kids won 60 games and went to the Eastern Conference finals under Mike Budenholzer.
(06-25-2021, 01:53 PM)JamesConway Wrote: Bro

https://giphy.com/gifs/theoffice-nbc-the...JFy0X6Y4qY
Like Reply

Well, he’s not wrong—even said Carlisle was a top 5 coach.  This Mavs drama is about as strange as I’ve ever seen for pro sports management, and by strange I mean dysfunctional.  But hopefully Nike will right the ship to ensure Luka becomes the global phenomenon we all expect him to be.
Like Reply