Poll: Jason Kidd Superstar Franchise Coach?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
For him-Lets see what he can do with Luka
63.16%
36 63.16%
Against- Mavs are spiraling out of control
12.28%
7 12.28%
Undecided- Need evidence Kidd can coach
24.56%
14 24.56%
Total 57 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Jason Kidd: For or Against
(06-24-2021, 11:32 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Can I interest you in a JJB and/or a JET?

And Devin. Get all the old Mavs pgs

not really
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 10:29 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: https://twitter.com/NotJackKemp/status/1...68705?s=20

I'm just saying Kidd has ALL the incentives to make this work.

If things go poorly, especially early, in his tenure with the Mavs it might be the last time he'll ever get a HC gig ala Terry Porter. 

Porter had middling success for 2 years as a head coach (with MIL funnily enough) until he got a big chance to step up and coach the Suns after they let their superstar head coach MDA go. He coached them to a  .550 record and was fired quickly into his first year (4 months to be exact) after Nash and co hated his style changes. He was replaced by assistant Alvin Gentry. 

Porter never got a head coaching position again.  

If Kidd can't make it work with arguably the best 22 year old to ever lace em up then he's as good as toast. It's in his best interest to pull out ALL the stops.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Need a proven X´s and O´s guy next to him. Ideally an experienced former headcoach. Nash has Vaughn and D´Antoni. Kerr has Mike Brown. Lue has Kenny Atkinson and Larry Drew.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 11:37 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I'm just saying Kidd has ALL the incentives to make this work.

If things go poorly, especially early, in his tenure with the Mavs it might be the last time he'll ever get a HC gig ala Terry Porter. 

Porter had middling success for 2 years as a head coach (with MIL funnily enough) until he got a big chance to step up and coach the Suns after they let their superstar head coach MDA go. He coached them to a  .550 record and was fired quickly into his first year (4 months to be exact) after Nash and co hated his style changes. He was replaced by assistant Alvin Gentry. 

Porter never got a head coaching position again.  

If Kidd can't make it work with arguably the best 22 year old to ever lace em up then he's as good as toast. It's in his best interest to pull out ALL the stops.

Fully agreed.

(06-24-2021, 11:39 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Need a proven X´s and O´s guys next to him. Ideally an experienced former headcoach. Nash has Vaughn and D´Antoni. Kerr has Mike Brown. Lue has Kenny Atkinson and Larry Drew.

I'm assuming Mosley will bounce, right? 

That's one top assistant spot that's probably free...for the life of me, I can't remember who the other one was (I know, lame).
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 11:22 PM)FunkBoreland Wrote: Does anybody remember Coach Kidd putting rookies actual minutes? Im curious how his rotations are like.

40 year old Jason Terry got 16 minutes a game during Kidd’s last season in Milwaukee.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 11:39 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Fully agreed.

I'm assuming Mosley will bounce, right? 

That's one top assistant spot that's probably free...for the life of me, I can't remember who the other one was (I know, lame).
Bounce where? It’s a bit funny to me that he’s a top assistant but hasn’t been said to be interviewed for any of the other HC vacancies. Why does that not add up in my head?
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 11:39 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm assuming Mosley will bounce, right? 

Is there even an amount teams are limited to with assistant coaches?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 11:43 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Is there even an amount teams are limited to with assistant coaches?

I think there might be, actually, but I don't know that factually. Just something I vaguely remember (or maybe that I imagined).

But, what I'm pretty confident about is that regardless of the overall number, teams generally have two assistants that are significantly elevated from the rest, likely receiving a much higher level of remuneration.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 11:32 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Can I interest you in a JJB and/or a JET?

F it. Bring em all back. Tyson, Peja, Custodian, etc.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 11:43 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Bounce where? It’s a bit funny to me that he’s a top assistant but hasn’t been said to be interviewed for any of the other HC vacancies. Why does that not add up in my head?

Oh, for sure. I NEVER for one second hoped he would get this job. It's what I assumed would happen, but it would've made my skin crawl. The Mavs aren't contenders, imo, but they're too close to waste time on a first-timer. 

I wasn't suggesting that he would get a head job somewhere necessarily, though I do think that's possible, being that he is one of the leading African American candidates left and there are so many vacancies. Washington, maybe? 

My point is that from all speculation, it seemed like many, many observers thought this was his moment, and I'd bet my life that he did, too. Gotta be tough to get passed over, and I seriously doubt Kidd is going to want that kind of resentment around, assuming that Mosley's pride would even allow him to stay on. 

But it's all just my opinion.
Like Reply
Kidd is a GREAT hire. Huge, huge, HUGE upgrade to Carlisle, especially from a player development/relations standpoint. 

Kidd got a bad rep in Brooklyn but at the end of the day those players were meh. And he at least won a playoff series in the last 10 seasons, which was as the lower seeded underdogs. Carlisle could only dream of that!!! Brooklyn got worse after he left, never got out of the 1st round until this year. 

Milwaukee was a 15 win team before Kidd got there. He immediately turned them around to 40+ wins, multiple playoff appearances, and more importantly sculpted the Greek Freak into superstardom. They didn't have the pieces added yet to make them a contender. 

Now after being a top assistant for the champion Lakers last year, and learning from elite coach Vogel and GOAT candidate LeBron, I believe Kidd has learned what it takes to be a championship level coach. I am excited to see what kind of staff he assembles around him. And of course, we finally have a real head coach players will want to play for, how REFRESHING!

Thank you Cuban, MFFL's stand up!
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 11:42 PM)Mak Wrote: 40 year old Jason Terry got 16 minutes a game during Kidd’s last season in Milwaukee.

Well, that's one mark in the "pros" column for Coach Kidd! 

Big of you to offer such a balanced opinion!
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 11:22 PM)FunkBoreland Wrote: Does anybody remember Coach Kidd putting rookies actual minutes? Im curious how his rotations are like.

His 1st season in MIL his top 5 minutes guys were ALL 23 years old or younger. He led them to 41-41 after they went 15-67 the year before.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 11:52 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Kidd is a GREAT hire. Huge, huge, HUGE upgrade to Carlisle, especially from a player development/relations standpoint. 

Kidd got a bad rep in Brooklyn but at the end of the day those players were meh. And he at least won a playoff series in the last 10 seasons, which was as the lower seeded underdogs. Carlisle could only dream of that!!! Brooklyn got worse after he left, never got out of the 1st round until this year. 

Milwaukee was a 15 win team before Kidd got there. He immediately turned them around to 40+ wins, multiple playoff appearances, and more importantly sculpted the Greek Freak into superstardom. They didn't have the pieces added yet to make them a contender. 

Now after being a top assistant for the champion Lakers last year, and learning from elite coach Vogel and GOAT candidate LeBron, I believe Kidd has learned what it takes to be a championship level coach. I am excited to see what kind of staff he assembles around him. And of course, we finally have a real head coach players will want to play for, how REFRESHING!

Thank you Cuban, MFFL's stand up!

Is this sarcasm?  This might be the dumbest post ever!
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 12:24 AM)mvossman Wrote: Is this sarcasm?  This might be the dumbest post ever!

Goodness gracious! How so?
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 12:24 AM)mvossman Wrote: Is this sarcasm?  This might be the dumbest post ever!

Don't be silly. A good percentage of my posts are way dummer than that
Like Reply
How long y’all think Kidd stays in dallas this time until he Breaks Benedict? 

For the third freaking time. 
Like Reply
Also, I am not feeling comforted by Rick Carlisle seemingly gleefully wishing Kidd upon the Mavericks. The feeling is the opposite of comforted.
Like Reply
Man, the poll shows me, how many eternally optimistic users are around. That's the only positive thing I can take from my mavsboard.com visit this morning.

Somewhat it was to be expected. Narcisstic, huge EGO personae like Cuban tend to turn crazy, when they age. Tough years ahead for Mavs fans. If Cubes keeps going, this will be 10-15 years of suffering.
Like Reply
Wells we've already hit 10
Like Reply