Poll: Jason Kidd Superstar Franchise Coach?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
For him-Lets see what he can do with Luka
63.16%
36 63.16%
Against- Mavs are spiraling out of control
12.28%
7 12.28%
Undecided- Need evidence Kidd can coach
24.56%
14 24.56%
Total 57 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Jason Kidd: For or Against
(06-24-2021, 07:25 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: My problem with JJB as an assistant was that it could automatically cause an intentional or unintentional power struggle similar to Blatt/Lue in Cleveland, that would directly undermine the newly appointed head coach and subsequently the new GM. It´s just awkward and unhealthy for the hierarchy, when Luka has his mentor JJB as an assistant coach. Since I don´t care much about Kidd as a head coach, I´m good now. Bring back JJB as an assistant. Big Grin

I still say he could be on the end of our bench.  Give him the same minutes Burke got.  He couldn't possibly do any worse.
Like Reply
Torn, as I said in the other thread. 

I think it's a good sign that serious thought was put into the hire - more than I expected. 

Not sold on him as a coach yet, in a vacuum. 

But enough about what I think. What does @"Mak" have to say about this?
Like Reply
Don't like it tbh.
This seems like a plan powder vol 2 (or another number)
Basically hire a popular guy as a coach, hire someone with good relations as GM and we try to get someone in FA. 
Kidd is widely hated by Bucks fans from what I have seen, and for good reasons
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 08:12 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: This seems like a plan powder vol 2 (or another number)
Basically hire a popular guy as a coach, hire someone with good relations as GM and we try to get someone in FA. 

While I agree with your gut feeling that this points to continued maneuvering to use cap room when possible, and that we're not about to return to the luxury tax days (until they finally get a guy, maybe) any time soon, allow me to point out that IF that's what happens, it was ALWAYS going to be what happens, because it's what CUBAN wants. 

Even if you hate the strategy, they're better off with this guy implementing it than they would be with Finley.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 08:21 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: While I agree with your gut feeling that this points to continued maneuvering to use cap room when possible, and that we're not about to return to the luxury tax days (until they finally get a guy, maybe) any time soon, allow me to point out that IF that's what happens, it was ALWAYS going to be what happens, because it's what CUBAN wants. 

Even if you hate the strategy, they're better off with this guy implementing it than they would be with Finley.

Well, my problem is that it means this is the main reason of hiring,  this is what the "match" between GM and Cuban means. I don't like that.
The Nike hire is weird, but could be good. Let's wait and see. 
Kidd? I never thought we will have a serious interest in him, thought it was a joke .
Look at comments around the league, barely any positive comments about Kidd as new coach.

I hope he does well, because it means the team will do well. The one positive is that it is sure thing that Kidd knows it is his last chance for foreseeable future if he failed. So he should be super motivated to make it work and will probably surround himself by many guys who know their shit and will cover his shortcomings
Like Reply
What matters is what Luka thinks. If he gets along well with Kidd then it's a plus. The coach isn't as important as the talent. 

Hopefully Kidd picked up something on the defensive end from Vogel. Our defense has been embarrassing over the past decade, haven't finished with a defense better than 15th since 2012. From a coaching standpoint that would be the main area you could hope for an improvement

Who we bring in as assistant coaches may matter more
Like Reply
Kidd is a coach that players like. If the Mavs keep KP, all we can hope is that a lot of his performance this year was not due to health/loss of mobility, but rather due to frustration with RC and likely Luka.

Maybe a coach like Kidd is the one who can get that back on track.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 09:14 PM)DrMav Wrote: Kidd is a coach that players like. If the Mavs keep KP, all we can hope is that a lot of his performance this year was not due to health/loss of mobility, but rather due to frustration with RC and likely Luka.

Maybe a coach like Kidd is the one who can get that back on track.

Agreed.

Despite all of Kidd's coaching woes, the one consistent thing is that he's always been very well liked by his players. 

Hopefully Kidd can think of a good way to utilize KP and Luka effectively because it certainly is a tough cookie.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
As I've said always, I'm a Mavs fan.  When you sign on the dotted line or put on the jersey, I'm for you to succeed.

Before that, I'm not sure I'm all in on Jason Kidd, but I remember he being a decent head coach and getting some good things done.  I'm not going to pitch and fit, even though, I don't think his background is great for a team just a couple of years removed from a sexual harassment scandal.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 07:26 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Didn't the Janitor also take out Wade?...

Good man, that Janitor..
Like Reply
@"Mak", where are you?

This is your moment!
Like Reply
LOL

I just thought of something fun. What if Kidd backtracks and signs as a coach with another team. He could Heisman Cuban a second time
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 10:20 PM)MFFL Wrote: LOL

I just thought of something fun. What if Kidd backtracks and signs as a coach with another team. He could Heisman Cuban a second time

I need for Nico to be official before I laugh at something like that.
Like Reply
https://youtu.be/31g0YE61PLQ
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/NotJackKemp/status/1...68705?s=20
Like Reply
https://youtu.be/17KmNrG9pE4
Like Reply
Does anybody remember Coach Kidd putting rookies actual minutes? Im curious how his rotations are like.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 11:22 PM)FunkBoreland Wrote: Does anybody remember Coach Kidd putting rookies actual minutes? Im curious how his rotations are like.

Doesn't seem like rookies are likely to be involved here for a good, long while. 

They carried four this past year, and I think it was specifically because they knew they wouldn't have any for a while. No picks this year, and doesn't it feel like the next time they have picks free they're likely to get packaged for another swing at a costar?

EDIT: to be fair, I guess I should've led my response with "I don't know." lol
Like Reply
If this is happening, we really need to go grab the best assistant coaches money can buy ASAP.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 11:30 PM)Mak Wrote: If this is happening, we really need to go grab the best assistant coaches money can buy ASAP.

Can I interest you in a JJB and/or a JET?
Like Reply