Poll: Simmons for KP straight up, do you pull the trigger?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
yes
58.62%
34 58.62%
no
41.38%
24 41.38%
Total 58 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let´s have a poll: KP for Simmons straight up - are you in?
(06-21-2021, 07:40 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: This is where I am too.  IF you do something like this, it is next to KP, not instead of KP.  Simmons D makes KP at center workable defensively.  I started to write "and in Rick's offensive system" and then remembered.  The issue is we don't know what offensive system we will be running.  So, you can't just plug Simmons into "the Powell role" because there might not be a Powell role.

The other issue with this is I'd want to keep Maxi spreading the floor as the 3rd big.  So, in what world do you get Simmons on a deal based around Powell, Brunson and space?

Okay...I've never really considered this because it was about trading Simmons for KP, but I'm starting to consider it more.  Even so, I am imagining what it would look like, and anything that has Ben Simmons on the perimeter would end up being a Luka double team on his drive.  Then again, if we aren't running Rick's system, what do you have?

Will taking the ball out of Ben's hands just destroy his confidence even more?  That's a side of this whole move him off the ball debate that we haven't considered.  I know I've pushed against him a LOT because him in the 2nd star role is absolutely not going to work in my opinion.  We've, at least, seen KP actually work in that with Luka, then the injury or slowed mobility or timidness or whatever from KP came in, but Simmons...we've seen several configurations of that.  Tobias Harris is paid like a max player there and really isn't...he's always been along that Kris Middleton level player to me, but I'm having more respect for Middleton in these playoffs, and thinking.

Wow...to have the cap room to have 3 max $$ guys on your roster and one, if not two, of them to have pretty significant warts...you'd have to have someone really overperforming their contract (kind of like Seth Curry was doing).  

Then if THJ regresses back to what he has been instead of staying the flamethrower he's been most of last year...hmmmmm
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
This is only tough because of fit, IMO. Asset for asset I think Simmons has more value bc of Porzingis injury history. 

Fit what I don’t like
- I don’t like someone who can’t shoot on the floor w doncic

Fit what I do like 
- Simmons give us an elite on ball defender with size

Asset what I don’t like
- Porzingis if he “got back” to what he’s been before, and continued rising, I think could be a more fluid fit next to Doncic bc he doesn’t have the ‘can’t shoot’ issues.

Asset what I do like
- Simmons might be a better asset if we did the flip because he is healthy. So rehabbing his value may only be a matter of time.
Thank you Donnie.
Like Reply
Ben Simmons is a pipe dream.  Ben Simmons and KP is the mother of all pipe dreams.  I don't think you'd want that even if possible.

BS

$33,003,936
$35,448,672
$37,893,408
$40,338,144

KP

$31,650,600
$33,833,400
$36,016,200 (PO)

LD

$34.7
$37.5
$40.3
$43.1
$45.9

That's just shy of $104 million for those three guys in 2022-23.
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 01:42 PM)cow Wrote: That's just shy of $104 million for those three guys in 2022-23.

And tons of potential for them to be the wrong three guys.
Like Reply
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1000...-for-76ers
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 12:47 PM)cow Wrote: I think the injury concerns is what makes me want to wash my hands of the situation this offseason.

This.  Every time he steps on the court, I am wondering how many games can he stay healthy. I have less concerns about his talent ( both offensively and defensively ) than some others. I am scared of his injury history and want him traded when he still can fetch something reasonably good.
Like Reply
(06-19-2021, 11:04 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Hell yes!  I’d put Brunson, Green, and a pick into the trade as well to make it happen.  Simmons is the second best defensive player in the NBA.  Morey’s probably too smart to do this, but if he wanted to pair Embiid with another big who can operate outside the paint then who knows.

Makes some sense.  24 year old 2x All star and NBA All Defensive.

On top of that if Simmons would ever decide to start shooting with his right hand he could be the best player in the NBA.
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 03:28 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: This.  Every time he steps on the court, I am wondering how many games can he stay healthy. I have less concerns about his talent ( both offensively and defensively ) than some others. I am scared of his injury history and want him traded when he still can fetch something reasonably good.

And that's only part of it, really. 

Either we believe he has already lost a step from the accumulated injuries of the past (YIKES), or we believe Carlisle and KP, both of whom claimed that he was FINALLY looking like his old physical self during the last three playoff games, after what we're supposed to believe was an entire season of rehabbing on the floor, I guess. 

Either way, it's scary af. He's either already too much in decline to make the whole thing worthwhile, or it took him almost a whole year to get himself back in shape from his latest surgery. If it's the latter, then when (not if) the next one happens, the time he'll miss won't actually be the total of what's concerning. How long will it take after THAT one to move confidently?
Like Reply
It would have to be a three team deal and I doubt Dallas would have the best offer.    John Hollinger had a article today and I skimmed it briefly.  He didn't think McCollum was the best target and the guy he came to was Lavine.  
In the perfect world, Simmons could be your version of Draymond Green.  He doesn't have Green's toughness but you could ask him to play a similar role.    It could also tilt the pendulum of having Luka play less like James Harden and maybe a little closer to Curry.  

I don't see it happening though, but fun to think about.
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 03:34 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: And that's only part of it, really. 

Either we believe he has already lost a step from the accumulated injuries of the past (YIKES), or we believe Carlisle and KP, both of whom claimed that he was FINALLY looking like his old physical self during the last three playoff games, after what we're supposed to believe was an entire season of rehabbing on the floor, I guess. 

Either way, it's scary af. He's either already too much in decline to make the whole thing worthwhile, or it took him almost a whole year to get himself back in shape from his latest surgery. If it's the latter, then when (not if) the next one happens, the time he'll miss won't actually be the total of what's concerning. How long will it take after THAT one to move confidently?

No doubt.

Ive been a big supporter of giving KP a chance around here.   I am completely in on move him at TDL if he doesnt come back more dominant at start of season or if the new GM/Coach cant figure out a creative way to get the most out of him.

Contract is eating up too much space for mixed results...plus you are constantly worried about reinjury and how long it will take for him to get back "in rhythm" after the injury.
Like Reply
You know you screwed up when the GM forces you to release a damage control statement the day after you questioned the value of your own player.

https://twitter.com/TimBontemps/status/1...9200602115
Like Reply
As I heard somebody on a broadcast today say, " Nobody want's to pay $30MM/yr for him to learn how to shoot."

His forte should be driving to the rim as part of a PnR tandem, but if even shooting FTs (sort of a basic skill, I don't know why so many "pros" are bad at it) gets out of his comfort zone, then I don't know how he's playable.

No doubt his defense is exceptional, but if every game becomes a defensive wrestling match I don't think we'll have to worry long about what Luka's going to do.
Like Reply
I don't see why PHI is forcing a square peg into a triangle hole. 

Won't work.

Just have Simmons excel at what he's great at. Hard picks. Rolling to the rim. Lobs. Head of steam drives to the basket in transition.

Literally what Giannis does.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 04:41 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I don't see why PHI is forcing a square peg into a triangle hole. 

Won't work.

Just have Simmons excel at what he's great at. Hard picks. Rolling to the rim. Lobs. Head of steam drives to the basket in transition.

Literally what Giannis does.
Simmons doesn't excel at any of those things except transition baskets, which disappear in the playoffs.
Like Reply
Simmons issue is not even shooting. When as a 6’ 10”, well built player with handles, you don’t even put up a shot in 4 games, it is clearly a phobia in the real sense of the word. 

I would still take him over KP thoughSmile
Like Reply
I don't wont Simmons he would only make us marginally better... but we need to be apart of the simmons trade so we can unload KP for a starting sg! That way we don't have to pay THJ and can keep brunson... 

i posted this in the trade kp thread earlier today

Dallas receives Beal (WAS) & Thybulle (PHI) and gives up KP
Phi receives Westbrook (WAS) and gives up Simmons 
WAS receives Simmons (PHI) & KP (DAL) and gives up Westbrook and Bradley Beal 
Like Reply
I think if you put Simmons in a Draymond role and he'd be one of the best centers in the NBA.
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 04:02 PM)Tyler Wrote: You know you screwed up when the GM forces you to release a damage control statement the day after you questioned the value of your own player.

https://twitter.com/TimBontemps/status/1...9200602115

Agree and Morey knows about damage control statements.  

Simmons is a commodity to Morey, as are all who are under his thumb/control.  I picked on Morey in the past but I bet he could remake our roster in a heartbeat. (in a good way)
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 04:30 PM)michaeltex Wrote: As I heard somebody on a broadcast today say, " Nobody want's to pay $30MM/yr for him to learn how to shoot."

His forte should be driving to the rim as part of a PnR tandem, but if even shooting FTs (sort of a basic skill, I don't know why so many "pros" are bad at it) gets out of his comfort zone, then I don't know how he's playable.

No doubt his defense is exceptional, but if every game becomes a defensive wrestling match I don't think we'll have to worry long about what Luka's going to do.

Actually, I posted that yesterday...just so we know...but it's not too original of a thought.

(06-21-2021, 04:50 PM)Branduil Wrote: Simmons doesn't excel at any of those things except transition baskets, which disappear in the playoffs.

And Giannis had to develop a 3 point shot BECAUSE of that very reason.
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 05:05 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: Simmons issue is not even shooting. When as a 6’ 10”, well built player with handles, you don’t even put up a shot in 4 games, it is clearly a phobia in the real sense of the word. 

I would still take him over KP thoughSmile

I know this is pounding Ben Simmons, but for all of everyone's "he just can't shoot" and that's the only problem...if you are going to be real, you have to ask yourself...why was Atlanta able to play Trae Young and Lou Williams for long stretches in this game with Ben Simmons on the floor?  One switch and you have Lou Williams or Trae Young in the post or in ANY scenario, against Ben Simmons...especially with Embiid injured, that has to be the play, then why didnt' they do it?  Because they know he couldn't take advantage of it.   

Man, I just don't see it.

That's what Milwaukee is going to do to Trae in this next round.  Run a switch, put him on Giannis and give him the Seth Curry treatment.
Like Reply