Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
NEWS: RC out | Kidd hired as head coach & assembling staff
(06-24-2021, 01:57 PM)Kammrath Wrote: THIS. My gut goes here as well.

My gut usually only goes where I go. Often times I obey my gut, but that's because it usually tells me to make some nachos.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 01:53 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: It's gotta be more than that.

Mosley has been working here for 7 years.  To clearly mention someone else as a head coach candidate instead of the guy seen as the favorite and who worked for you for so long, there is a message there.

My complete guess it's more of a shot at Mosley than a sabotaging of the Mavs organization.  Wouldn't be surprised if Rick feels Mosley forced him out by becoming such buddy buddy with Luka.

Yeah that is the most likely explanation to me too. Also maybe Mosley was more open to Voulgaris line-up change suggestions and Carlisle felt Mosley should have had his back against this outsider from the Analytics department.

But it is really complete guesswork.
Like Reply
Not a big fan of either Kidd or Mosley but I'd rather have Kidd. However, I get the feeling this next coach will just end up being Luka's version of Doug Collins on the Bulls in the 80s. They will finally start advancing in the playoffs but not far enough and then in 3-4 years, it's all about finding Luka's Phil Jackson for when he reaches his prime years.
Like Reply
There’s a management book I read long ago where it was mentioned that you shouldn’t hire a recommendation from a leaving leader. The logic was that deep inside folks who were leaving really didn’t want a better candidate than them because that would be the only way an employer would realize the outgoing employee’s true value down the road. 

Even if you are not that cynical it is still strange that RC would bypass Mos and nominate Kidd. I honestly don’t feel that RC considers either of them as a better coach than him. So @"jesusshuttlesworth82" is probably correct that it is a shot at Mos for some other reasons. 

One thing I am definitely not buying is that RC is trying to help out Kidd get a HC job. Kidd would have got the Blazers job if he wanted. He is not like poor Sam Cassell who has paid his dues  and is not getting a chance such that a friend has to step up and look out for.
Like Reply
Just one last gigantic RC troll job. Absolutely nothing to see here
Like Reply
I am thinking new betting odds are going to put Kidd as heavy favorite over Mosely.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 10:54 AM)JamesConway Wrote: Should have gotten an asset out of it. Just lazy and neglectful as always  when it comes to asset management.

Again

The Mavs can BUY a second round pick, in fact, MANY second round picks with the money they saved on the Carlisle contract

And we weren't getting more than a second from Indiana
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 03:40 PM)MFFL Wrote: Again

The Mavs can BUY a second round pick, in fact, MANY second round picks with the money they saved on the Carlisle contract

Rivers garnered a FRP.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 03:46 PM)cow Wrote: Rivers garnered a FRP.

I'm not saying this wasn't possible for the Mavs/Carlisle, but...

...different time for Rivers. Different time for first round picks.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 03:46 PM)cow Wrote: Rivers garnered a FRP.

Different situation. Rivers joined a team that felt they had a possibility that they could win a title. The Pacers will be lucky to do more than make the playoffs
Like Reply
Yes bring in Kidd.  Dallas Mavericks fans would easily get behind him because of legacy.  He edges the JET due to previous Head Coaching experience with the Nets and Bucks!  His time spent in LA is why I feel he should get the job though.  He knows how to win in todays NBA and to keep Luka that is vital.  

no better option for the mavericks currently available 

with Kidd as HC I'm fine with Finley/Cuban as GM.  Cuban likes to play GM but he usually allows his coach to coach.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 03:40 PM)MFFL Wrote: Again

They would still save the money from the Carlisle contract once he signs a new contract elsewhere. Huh 

Say the negotiations with the Pacers drag another two weeks over the pick compensation, then Cuban would have to pay an additional salary of somewhere between $500k to $1M to Carlisle before his official release. Which by your calculation is pretty cheap for a 2nd round pick.

And who are we kidding about Cuban spending money on buying picks, when he´s literally the only owner that pays money to trade down and uses draft picks as PR stunts.

If he cared about picks, he´d have kept Carlisle on the pay-roll for a few more weeks to see whether there was an opportunity. He didn´t even try.
Like Reply
Do you think Cynthia is going to let Mark heir a guy that plead guilty to domestic abuse?
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 03:48 PM)MFFL Wrote: Different situation. Rivers joined a team that felt they had a possibility that they could win a title. The Pacers will be lucky to do more than make the playoffs

Situation is the same minus the years involved (Rivers had three years left, Carlisle two).  Clippers wanted a coach who was under contract with another team and Boston made them pay for it with an unprotected FRP.  If Doc is worth an unprotected FRP, Carlisle should have brought back a protected FRP (let's call the difference the years left on the contract).  Carlisle quit on the team, there was no reason for Mark to be the nice guy.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 03:55 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: They would still save the money from the Carlisle contract once he signs a new contract elsewhere. Huh 

Sure but if Cuban hadn't released RC from his contract, would RC have taken a job like the Pacers? Or would he have waited another year (collecting $7m from Cuban and maybe a little network money) and saw where the market was at next year?

And we should save money on the new coach but that's independent of RC's money

There was only downside for Cuban to ask for compensation
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 03:57 PM)cow Wrote: Carlisle quit on the team, there was no reason for Mark to be the nice guy.

I wouldn't been nice to RC but it wasn't my call

Basically Carlisle pulled a Harden. He didn't like his situation so he quit on the team
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 04:04 PM)MFFL Wrote: Sure but if Cuban hadn't released RC from his contract, would RC have taken a job like the Pacers? Or would he have waited another year (collecting $7m from Cuban and maybe a little network money) and saw where the market was at next year?

And we should save money on the new coach but that's independent of RC's money

There was only downside for Cuban to ask for compensation

Well Carlisle just got $29M guaranteed vs. $14M guaranteed, so there was clear incentive for him to strike now, too.

Also I´d argue that Cuban could stop Carlisle from working for ESPN or TNT, while he still has a valid coaching contract.

Also what do I care about Cuban´s money, I want the best possible team. Probably can pay 10 Carlisles with the money he lost on the crypto currency last week. Big Grin
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 04:10 PM)MFFL Wrote: I wouldn't been nice to RC but it wasn't my call

Basically Carlisle pulled a Harden. He didn't like his situation so he quit on the team

Let him sit at home for seven million a year for quitting on his team.  If Indy wanted to pull him from storage, demand a pick.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 12:26 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Nope, I don't think RC is trying to sabotage the Mavs...in fact, I think he actually is making a genuine recommendation and suggestion and he might not be wrong.

RC and Kidd have a good relationship now. They clashed at times early on but once RC learned to trust him, they started getting along fine. It's been mentioned that they are good friends now.

When Luka has his tendencies to get frustrated, lose his cool, etc. RC sees Kidd as being the type of coach to understand that and be a better mentor for Luka than what RC could have been. He is not wrong about the similarities between Kidd and Luka. Both were basketball savants at a young age and it's sometimes hard for players like that to be patient with teammates and coaches, who do not process the game as fast as them.

This was 3 pages back so I'm bumping it so others who would have missed it can see this...

Perfect written and spot on IMO...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
Ok ok after taking a couple of hours and ruminating over Carlisle's odd quote, is it bad that I'm kinda coming around to JKidd being the coach?

I mean take out all the other nonsense of RC trying to sabotage the Mavs or Mosely. 

Kidd was a relatively underperforming HC with the Nets and Bucks, but he's garnered some valuable experience with the Lakers. Heck he even has a ring to show for it.

It's possible Kidd has learned now what it takes to be a HC and might actually be quite good at it. On top of his valuable basketball experience of being a top 5 floor general of all time. That's a nice feather in the cap to have when teaching Luka.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply