Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
John Collins...Our Third Star
https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/statu...42755?s=21
Like Reply
(07-07-2021, 04:22 PM)JamesConway Wrote: https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/statu...42755?s=21

BOOM. Preparing the public for what has been an inevitability for like a year.
Like Reply
I just watched a 12 minute John Collins playoff highlight reel. The next step usually is trading him onto the Mavs in 2k. I‘m in. I don’t know why I keep doing this to myself but I am in. 

We’ll get the full, patented, miserable Dallas Mavericks ®FA experience one more time guys.
Like Reply
(07-07-2021, 05:06 PM)Kammrath Wrote: BOOM. Preparing the public for what has been an inevitability for like a year.

BE PREPARED
Like Reply
(07-14-2021, 08:34 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: BE PREPARED

FOR DISAPPOINTMENT
Like Reply
(07-14-2021, 09:54 PM)cow Wrote: FOR DISAPPOINTMENT

The disappointment comes later. The joy will be hey we got John Collins on a max deal and it only cost Maxi and 2 seconds!
Like Reply
Hollinger had a back and forth article on Atlanta today.  He sort of highlighted the difficult decision ATL has this offseason with Collins without answering if he will be back.

Looking at their roster, Hollinger says when ATL looks at their core they probably rank them the following:

1) Trae Young
2) Capella
3) Bogdanovich
4) Hunter
5/6 Huerter and Collins- core guys if they sign a second contract but the devil is in the details of the contracts

This doesn't even mention Gallnari and their rookie Okonguwu and young player Reddish who they like.  So if they have thoughts that Collins is not a good  enough defender or need to pay him 30 million, they will need to have some tough conversations this offseason.    

Hawks also have pick 20, they may be able to get more depth in the front court with that pick.  But a backup ball handler may be the bigger need.  

Personally, I don't think Maxi is a fit there.  I would rather force feed the minutes for Hunter, Okonguwu and Reddish.   I would probably want draft assets back if I was ATL.   I don't see Dallas as the ending point for Collins though.
Like Reply
What nobody mentions is that: "We won´t be able to bring everybody back, we would like to..."

...could also simply mean that they know that Collins will get max offers, that they have to match. Therefore they'll have to trade Gallinari eventually, which they would not like to do under different circumstances.

When you look at Collins elite shooting numbers, his age, his potential for improvement, it would seem stupid to pick an injury-prone 33 year old Gallinari over him.

Maybe we focus on the gettable Markkanen instead and allow somebody else make the max offer for Collins. We anticipate the Hawks will match the Collins max and and then swoop in with a Gallinari/Reddish offer instead. That way we can add Markkanen/Reddish as long-term pieces for virtually nothing.

It´s 3D chess out there.
Like Reply
Maxi is a fit for any team. He’s a 20ish mpg bench 3nD big. Doesn’t get in the way of what another big is trying to do on the court and can knock down the 3. His biggest downfall is guarding the bigger bigs in the league.
Like Reply
(07-15-2021, 10:43 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Hollinger had a back and forth article on Atlanta today.  He sort of highlighted the difficult decision ATL has this offseason with Collins without answering if he will be back.

Looking at their roster, Hollinger says when ATL looks at their core they probably rank them the following:

1) Trae Young
2) Capella
3) Bogdanovich
4) Hunter
5/6 Huerter and Collins- core guys if they sign a second contract but the devil is in the details of the contracts

This doesn't even mention Gallnari and their rookie Okonguwu and young player Reddish who they like.  So if they have thoughts that Collins is not a good  enough defender or need to pay him 30 million, they will need to have some tough conversations this offseason.    

Hawks also have pick 20, they may be able to get more depth in the front court with that pick.  But a backup ball handler may be the bigger need.  

Personally, I don't think Maxi is a fit there.  I would rather force feed the minutes for Hunter, Okonguwu and Reddish.   I would probably want draft assets back if I was ATL.   I don't see Dallas as the ending point for Collins though.

BE PREPARED

Also it would be easy enough to send Maxi elsewhere and send back compensation to ATL. I do think Maxi will be one of the outgoing pieces. I see Maxi and J Rich both as guys that Mavs would send out in a multi-team trade.
Like Reply