Poll: In or out on 3/90 Lowry?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
In
28.85%
15 28.85%
Out
71.15%
37 71.15%
Total 52 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
POLL: In or out on the Lowry pursuit?
Just to put everyone on the record - presuming 1) the Mavs get Lowry at 3/90, 2) a sign and trade is involved that allows us to operate over the cap and have the MLE, and 3) THJ is re-signed, thumbs-up, or thumbs-down? Not really interested in how "in" you are - even a slight thumbs-up will do. I'm "in" but rather wary. I'm presuming every other major free agent they've looked at has said no.
Like Reply
(07-28-2021, 02:04 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: the Mavs get Lowry at 3/90

100% hate the deal at that length and price point.

[Image: 200.gif]
[-] The following 6 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • cow, DrMav, haveitall, Mavs2021, Paul Gasol, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
(07-28-2021, 02:07 PM)Kammrath Wrote: 100% hate the deal at that length and price point.

[Image: 200.gif]

Yeah. Don't hate Lowry as a theoretical, but at anywhere close to what he's seeking (and what common wisdom seems to think he'll get) this move would make the Nico hiring a clear F.
Like Reply
(07-28-2021, 02:11 PM)Arioch Wrote: Don't hate Lowry as a theoretical

Yeah. 2 years $40M is what I think he is worth.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • haveitall
Like Reply
at 2/$50, I'd be IN

at 3/$90, I'm OUT

Now if someone could convince me his third year would be an attractive expiring for trade match purposes, I could be talked off the ledge.  I'm not really sure how that works.
[-] The following 1 user Likes wmffl87's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
Looking at it simply, I think Lowry could bring some things to the table that might actually move this thing quite a bit forward. I have a higher opinion of both the cache he has around the NBA and what he can do on the court than some here do, apparently. 

The contract stuff has to be factored in, for sure, and that might change how I look at it, BUT I'm not going to get into a twist about that until we KNOW the details. 

It might not be 3/$90. It might be much better. 

I just don't hate the idea of Lowry, that's all. I'm reserving the right to change my opinion later, based on the context of everything that the Mavs know they're trying to do, but that we currently don't know.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(07-28-2021, 02:22 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: BUT I'm not going to get into a twist about that until we KNOW the details. 

Well right....but this poll asks specifically about THAT number and those details. 

Lowry isn't the problem....its the contract numbers floating around.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
(07-28-2021, 02:23 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Lowry isn't the problem....its the contract numbers floating around.

Ok, but, and I don't expect many to agree, Lowry on that contract is one thing. Lowry on that contract in the same offseason that KP and his contract are jettisoned? That's something different, at least to me. 

I just think having the full picture matters.
Like Reply
(07-28-2021, 02:25 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Lowry on that contract in the same offseason that KP and his contract are jettisoned? That's something different, at least to me. 

That's fair....IF the Mavs are offloading KP as PART of that deal, it changes the complexion completely for me.
Like Reply
(07-28-2021, 02:25 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Ok, but, and I don't expect many to agree, Lowry on that contract is one thing. Lowry on that contract in the same offseason that KP and his contract are jettisoned? That's something different, at least to me. 

That money would be better spent elsewhere...30 million is a Franchise killer type move...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
[-] The following 1 user Likes ClutchDirk's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
3/90

[Image: nxMBqb4.gif]
Like Reply
Will need to see the final roster.  A lot will depend on cost, who else is brought in, who needs to be traded and can they find a physical big man 4/5 who can play playoff minutes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
I dedicate this next song to Mark Cuban.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bDq74Lh7JQ
[-] The following 3 users Like cow's post:
  • ClutchDirk, SwisherPrice, wmffl87
Like Reply
Given the Pels' competition, I'm presuming that whoever doesn't like the price tag simply doesn't want Lowry. That's just great that you want Lowry for 2/40. I suppose you want Luka to re-sign for a haircut too. Doesn't work that way. But I do have some sympathy for the cow position of "Just don't do it at that price." Sometimes you gotta fold. 

I have to hope that the Stein report is false. There's got to be a backup plan. I think Lowry is a Pel next year.
Like Reply
(07-28-2021, 02:49 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I have to hope that the Stein report is false. There's got to be a backup plan.

Stein and Fisher didn't say there is no back up plan. They said they don't know the back up plan.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(07-28-2021, 02:51 PM)omahen Wrote: Stein and Fisher didn't say there is no back up plan. They said they don't know the back up plan.

I thought they said there was none. My bad?
Like Reply
(07-28-2021, 02:04 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Just to put everyone on the record - presuming 1) the Mavs get Lowry at 3/90, 2) a sign and trade is involved that allows us to operate over the cap and have the MLE, and 3) THJ is re-signed, thumbs-up, or thumbs-down? Not really interested in how "in" you are - even a slight thumbs-up will do. I'm "in" but rather wary. I'm presuming every other major free agent they've looked at has said no.

This isn't as binary a choice as you make it. You want to ignore the details, but the details really change the attractiveness.

To be specific, what if their opportunity looks like this?
Lowry will agree to 3/90ish with the 3rd year very lightly guaranteed.
TOR will send him via sign-and-trade.
They will take Powell and Richardson as the salary match going the other way, which gets you close enough ($89,678,346 over 3 years).

Everyone will say yes to that. But alter those details, and it changes the desirability.

And what if it's Lowry for KP instead? Many would be gleeful at that.

So yes, I'm in favor of Lowry for Powell-Richardson, and probably Lowry for KP (if it then yields THJ plus Holmes as KP's replacement).
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • fifteenth, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-28-2021, 02:58 PM)F Gump Wrote: So yes, I'm in favor of Lowry for Powell-Richardson.

I think most everyone would be up for that except the Raptors.
[-] The following 3 users Like cow's post:
  • ClutchDirk, Mavs2021, wmffl87
Like Reply
(07-28-2021, 02:58 PM)F Gump Wrote: This isn't as binary a choice as you make it. You want to ignore the details, but the details really change the attractiveness.

To be specific, what if their opportunity looks like this?
Lowry will agree to 3/90ish with the 3rd year very lightly guaranteed.
TOR will send him via sign-and-trade.
They will take Powell and Richardson as the salary match going the other way, which gets you close enough ($89,678,346 over 3 years).

Everyone will say yes to that. But alter those details, and it changes the desirability.

And what if it's Lowry for KP instead? Many would be gleeful at that.

So yes, I'm in favor of Lowry for Powell-Richardson, and probably Lowry for KP (if it then yields THJ plus Holmes as KP's replacement).

That's why I laid out the issues in the initial post. Presuming he's going to be brought in by sign-and-trade. I don't think it's possible to get the third year lightly guaranteed given the Pels' competition. So it goes back to, are you in, or out given those circumstances?
Like Reply
(07-28-2021, 02:25 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Ok, but, and I don't expect many to agree, Lowry on that contract is one thing. Lowry on that contract in the same offseason that KP and his contract are jettisoned? That's something different, at least to me. 

If they give Lowry 90/3 you have the full picture.

Cuban hired Nico to be his new Yes Man.
The new strategies will be the same as the old strategies.
That means always maximize the roster for next season with no strategic long-term planning.
That means unless we get a perceived basketball talent upgrade on Porzingis he will not be traded.
And nobody in the world will give you anything close to what Cuban would perceive as equal basketball talent.

So the team will be

Doncic/Burke
Lowry/THJ
DFS/Green
Powell/MLE
Porzingis/WCS

Traded the only breathing assets Kleber/Brunson to stay over the cap in a Lowry scenario.
Like Reply