Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
2021-2022 MAVS NEWS: 4th in West | WCF loss [ARCHIVED]
Information 
New Mavs thread for the 2021-2022 season.....

https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/stat...1573039115

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/...1666441216
Like Reply
(07-21-2021, 10:09 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/...1666441216

Someone, can't remember who, claimed that Kidd was too insecure to hire an assistant that was too good, because Kidd would consider them a threat. This hiring would seem to undermine that opinion.
Like Reply
I love the idea.  My question is if you're the Hawks and you need to match the max for Collins do they do that?
Like Reply
(07-21-2021, 12:57 PM)haveitall Wrote: My question is if you're the Hawks and you need to match the max for Collins do they do that?

No. Sign and trade. I believe there is like a 75% chance ATL signs and trades JC to SAS or DAL.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/14...8778620929
[-] The following 3 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • fifteenth, Hypermav, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(07-21-2021, 12:52 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Someone, can't remember who, claimed that Kidd was too insecure to hire an assistant that was too good, because Kidd would consider them a threat. This hiring would seem to undermine that opinion.

It also echoes the statements he made during the press conference that the biggest lesson he learned from his past coaching failures that he doesn't know everything and he needs to share responsibilities.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • fifteenth, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(07-21-2021, 01:14 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/14...8778620929

Someone needs some Holger time.
Like Reply
https://lakersnation.com/lakers-news-jas...021/06/13/

Kidd on what he learned from Vogel:

Quote:Learn from your mistakes. Nobody is perfect. Surround yourself with smarter people. Another thing I learned is to be able to be a good listener and filter the information that is given to you. Be able to use it or table it without saying, ‘No,’ or coming off defensive. You can give me a great idea and I can say, ‘I’m not ready to use that.’ It might come off to an assistant coach like, ‘Dang, he never takes any of my opinions.’ Now I would say, ‘I hear what you’re saying. I might want to do it, but just not right now.’ To you that goes, ‘He heard me, we are not going to use it right now but we will at some point.’

One of the biggest things I’ve learned from Frank is he is a great listener and a great communicator. He hears you. He will let you know, ‘Hey, not right now. I’m not comfortable doing that.’ And that goes a long way instead of saying no or that’s crazy.

Quote:Being here with Frank, understanding his strengths and watching him and how he handles different situations, is a big key that I’ve learned. Patience, communication is really key to understanding where everybody stands. Not just your top players, but the end of the bench.

Vogel on Kidd:

Quote:It’s been wonderful. Jason has become one of my closest friends. Really a trusted advisor on my coaching staff and someone that has been integral to our success in the last two years. He should be at the top of everybody’s list that has an opening in the NBA. Jason Kidd should be at the top of their list.

I think him taking the route of wanting to learn the steps of an assistant coaching role after going right from his playing career to head coaching career and really just rolling his sleeves up and focusing on the work the last two years has been great for his career. He’s carried himself with a great deal of humility over the last two years and I really think he’s going to be in a different position of strength with the next opportunity he gets.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(07-21-2021, 01:04 PM)Kammrath Wrote: No. Sign and trade. I believe there is like a 75% chance ATL signs and trades JC to SAS or DAL.

That's not how this works - JC signs the offer sheet - you pay up or go home empty handed.
Like Reply
(07-21-2021, 02:39 PM)Mapka Wrote: That's not how this works - JC signs the offer sheet - you pay up or go home empty handed.

ATL has given all the signs for the last year plus that they are not interested in paying JC an even near-max contract. So they can let him WALK for nothing OR they can work with either SAS or DAL (or whoever) to work out a sign and trade so they get some compensation and talent in return. 

I think two things pretty confidently:

1) ATL doesn't want to pay JC.

2) ATL doesn't want to lose him for nothing.

Therefore sign and trade routes are the way I think they will go. And I think DAL and SAS will be both be interested in that route to a certain extent (depending on the asking price).
Like Reply
(07-21-2021, 02:39 PM)Mapka Wrote: That's not how this works - JC signs the offer sheet - you pay up or go home empty handed.

Nope. If a sign-and-trade isn't available, I'm out, and I would hope the Mavs would act accordingly as well. 

That's the *correct* way to do restricted free agency.
Like Reply
(07-21-2021, 02:44 PM)Kammrath Wrote: ATL has given all the signs for the last year plus that they are not interested in paying JC an even near-max contract. So they can let him WALK for nothing OR they can work with either SAS or DAL (or whoever) to work out a sign and trade so they get some compensation and talent in return. 

I think two things pretty confidently:

1) ATL doesn't want to pay JC.

2) ATL doesn't want to lose him for nothing.

Therefore sign and trade routes are the way I think they will go. And I think DAL and SAS will be both be interested in that route to a certain extent (depending on the asking price).

I don't catch all the posts these days, so don't know if this has been answered. Atlanta seems like a smartly run organization, and JC was instrumental in their playoff run. Seems like they'd want to keep him. Why do you think not?
Like Reply
(07-21-2021, 03:20 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I don't catch all the posts these days, so don't know if this has been answered. Atlanta seems like a smartly run organization, and JC was instrumental in their playoff run. Seems like they'd want to keep him. Why do you think not?

I think they'd like to keep him but not at a max contract.  That stance may have changes since they offered him a contract extension given the team's playoff performance.  And that's where I always scratch my head too, if the team that has him doesn't want to give him the max, why should we?

And for the very little it is worth, I did some reading of Hawks message boards and that was the very sentiment.  Love to keep him but not on a max contract.
Like Reply
(07-21-2021, 03:27 PM)cow Wrote: I think they'd like to keep him but not at a max contract.  That stance may have changes since they offered him a contract extension given the team's playoff performance.  And that's where I always scratch my head too, if the team that has him doesn't want to give him the max, why should we?

And for the very little it is worth, I did some reading of Hawks message boards and that was the very sentiment.  Love to keep him but not on a max contract.

We don't have the talent level they do as a team. They might not be able to afford to keep him at a max contract. We may not be able to pass him up if we can obtain him at a max contract.
Like Reply
(07-21-2021, 03:20 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Atlanta seems like a smartly run organization, and JC was instrumental in their playoff run. Seems like they'd want to keep him. Why do you think not?

Their ownership massively under offered him a year ago and he rejected that contract. JC was very limited in role and minutes AFTER that point for various stretches. Ownership just said at the end of the season that it was very unlikely that everyone would be coming back and that they believed in "reasonable" contracts. AND like you said, they ARE smart and because of that they know how many paydays are coming down the pipe. So they need to choose WHO they pay. I think they have other forwards they want to develop other than JC but they don't want to lose him for nothing. So I think VERY strongly that a sign and trade situation is coming and they will try to get SOMETHING in return for JC.
Like Reply
(07-21-2021, 01:14 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/14...8778620929

Player's coach. Gonna be a fun season. This definitely beats the annual shuffleboard tournament Mav players were forced to endure with the old regime.
Like Reply
(07-21-2021, 03:36 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: We don't have the talent level they do as a team. They might not be able to afford to keep him at a max contract. We may not be able to pass him up if we can obtain him at a max contract.

Overpaying for other teams home grown talent is always going to leave you behind the talent curve.
Like Reply
Am I the only one questioning that we haven't heard any word of Igor's official hire?
Like Reply
(07-21-2021, 04:13 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Am I the only one questioning that we haven't heard any word of Igor's official hire?

Yep...that tweet was 4 days ago.  Hopefully no hiccups on that hire.
Like Reply
(07-21-2021, 03:02 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Nope. If a sign-and-trade isn't available, I'm out, and I would hope the Mavs would act accordingly as well. 

That's the *correct* way to do restricted free agency.

How would this work? We lose THJ to get enough room under the cap to treaten the Hawks, overpay JC and then gift them assets we don't have?

The Hawks showed how this works themself last year. You pay the player and let the other team chose what they want.
That's also why RFAs usually are the last ones to get an offer, after the good teams with cap striked out on the good UFAs.

The time for a trade was, as always with a RFA at the TDL.

The only way I see a SnT is if he wants to go to an over the cap team with a big useless contract (or a big enough trade exception).
Like Reply