Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2020-2021 MAVS NEWS: Archived
(07-16-2021, 09:17 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I see those things as inseparable, linked events. 

I've been more ok with it recently, now that we're at the beginning of something, but back then, at the end of something, I just wanted that 2011 team (maybe with some minor tweaks) to have the chance to defend their title. I felt (and still feel) morally entitled to that, even though that's ridiculous. Tyson Chandler was SOOOOO freaking special for the Mavs back then. He and Barea were the two youngest contributors. It really took some of my Mavs soul, and I'm still trying to build it back up. 

It's all in the past though. Hopefully, the future will be better.
One things for sure. I would’ve much preferred to just bring the title team back than come up empty-handed hunting for stars every year. I just thought there existed a middle ground between bringing back the band and landing Sammy superstar. But who knows. If we had done it any differently maybe we wouldn’t have lucked into Luka.
Like Reply
(07-16-2021, 09:27 PM)BasketballJones41 Wrote: But he has his flaws and it sounds like it was time.

Yes, it was his time. He was going into what probably would've been his last season before getting fired, he smartly identified that and pulled the ripcord while he could still go out on his own terms at a time when a few very good jobs were open elsewhere. 

I personally believe he also wanted the best for the Mavs and Luka, and recognized that he was a bit too old to be the right guy in these, specific circumstances. After trying, he wasn't able to develop a relationship with Luka like the one he had with Dirk. It's that simple.  

I do NOT believe that he was throwing Mosley under the bus with his comments afterward, but that he was trying to HELP Cuban and the Mavs sell Kidd to both the fanbase and to Luka. I don't know that it was very successful, and he probably shouldn't have said anything. 

But what I believe most of all is that he's gone. That chapter is over, and Jason Kidd is the coach now. Lord help us!
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(07-16-2021, 09:33 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yes, it was his time. He was going into what probably would've been his last season before getting fired, he smartly identified that and pulled the ripcord while he could still go out on his own terms at a time when a few very good jobs were open elsewhere. 

I personally believe he also wanted the best for the Mavs and Luka, and recognized that he was a bit too old to be the right guy in these, specific circumstances. After trying, he wasn't able to develop a relationship with Luka like the one he had with Dirk. It's that simple.  

I do NOT believe that he was throwing Mosley under the bus with his comments afterward, but that he was trying to HELP Cuban and the Mavs sell Kidd to both the fanbase and to Luka. I don't know that it was very successful, and he probably shouldn't have said anything. 

But what I believe most of all is that he's gone. That chapter is over, and Jason Kidd is the coach now. Lord help us!
I agree with pretty much everything you said. And I have no ill will or hard feelings towards Rick. No matter what else happened I’ll always respect him for his contributions on the title team. 

I was no fan of hiring Kidd but I guess I have no choice but to try and be optimistic.
Like Reply
(07-16-2021, 08:58 PM)BasketballJones41 Wrote: https://twitter.com/thenbacentral/status...72800?s=21
Did somebody already post this?

Oh my please. This is yet again another case of aggregators aggregating for clicks. They're using the Stephen A. Smith interview that was posted a bit back where he dances around the topic and says "my sources have been telling me KP may be a little jealous of Luka"

Like no. This tweet is garbage and should be thrown away.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Looks like Dallas finally beat out the Lakers for a major free agent. Also an interesting tidbit on Carlisle that runs against the "He-Hates-Mosley" narrative.

https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/...0069555202
Like Reply
(07-17-2021, 12:33 PM)Tyler Wrote: Looks like Dallas finally beat out the Lakers for a major free agent. Also an interesting tidbit on Carlisle that runs against the "He-Hates-Mosley" narrative.

https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/...0069555202

Summer of Schwartz?

Collins, Olynyk, Monk, Zeller, Korkmaz, Forbes, Griffin and Drummond are free.  Plus Bagley, Kemba, Love, McCollum, Barnes, Herro, White, Rubio and Lamb among others.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/pandahank41/status/1...9888180226
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/...5476485123
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
I don't get it...

https://twitter.com/mr_jasonjones/status...wcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fdallas-mavericks
Like Reply
(07-17-2021, 05:40 PM)omahen Wrote: I don't get it...

https://twitter.com/mr_jasonjones/status...wcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fdallas-mavericks

Apparently some people were confused when Jason Kidd was listed as a black coach.
Like Reply
I always thought Kidd was Hispanic to be honest.
Like Reply
The fact that Marc Stein continues to tweet Mavs news during a finals game surely proves that he is a true MFFL. 

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/...1666441216
Like Reply
(07-17-2021, 05:52 PM)cow Wrote: Apparently some people were confused when Jason Kidd was listed as a black coach.

Yeah I know he's a POC but man he was looking white at the conference the other day. Dude needs to get out into the sun more often lol
Like Reply
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CRcIw0IlKCK...hare_sheet
[-] The following 2 users Like Okstate819's post:
  • LifeAquatic, VintagePejav2
Like Reply
https://youtu.be/Ovcf90kERlo
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(07-18-2021, 09:06 PM)Okstate819 Wrote: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CRcIw0IlKCK...hare_sheet

1) I am SO excited for Nico. He just feels like a guy who "gets it" and is going to be legit. I think he is the RIGHT guy for the job.

2) I LOVE what he said at the end. He was talking about it not being the "Nico Harrison show" and getting everyone on the same page so they can then collectively convince Cuban these are the right decisions for the organization. I think Nico is going to work to build consensus among the whole front office and present a unified direction to Mark that frankly he won't want to refuse. If there is unity under Cuban, then I think he will go with it and not go "rogue" in some other direction.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • fifteenth, MFFL
Like Reply
(07-18-2021, 11:52 PM)Kammrath Wrote: 1) I am SO excited for Nico. He just feels like a guy who "gets it" and is going to be legit. I think he is the RIGHT guy for the job.

2) I LOVE what he said at the end. He was talking about it not being the "Nico Harrison show" and getting everyone on the same page so they can then collectively convince Cuban these are the right decisions for the organization. I think Nico is going to work to build consensus among the whole front office and present a unified direction to Mark that frankly he won't want to refuse. If there is unity under Cuban, then I think he will go with it and not go "rogue" in some other direction.

I think in time you'll see this take on what Nico said is a total misread on his job with the Mavs.

From what I have been hearing said by all of them ...
1 Cuban is (finally) admitting he has essentially been the Mavs' GM ....
2 .... and by his actions and some of his words, that he has botched things by doing so.
3 So without trying to make a big deal of the import, Cuban has decided he needs to do things differently. Nico will be his GM. Like any other GM. He makes the hiring calls for who he wants as asst GM, analytics staff, coach, cap analysis, etc, they all answer to him (just like in about every other team except maybe the Kings). and he will weigh their input and decide.
4 Technically, Cuban still will sign off on things, but Nico is the focal point now, not Cuban. (It's looking more like the Rangers' model now, whereas it formerly was like the Cowboys.)

In this interview, Nico, like any good man with a big job, is calling what he does a team concept, and not the Nico Harrison Show. But that's him being modest with the job he's being given - admitting he doesn't know it all, praising the people who will be working for him, and describing them as fellow-contributors rather than his underlings. Their input will be valued. He meant to encourage them in advance. He's coming in from the outside, rather than any of them being promoted, and wants them to know that him having this role won't marginalize them being credited for their work.

But they are NOT equals in the input, all trying to persuade Cuban, not anymore. It's going to be Nico's job to figure things out. And this is a major step forward, all by itself, in the Mavs' organization. If I'm reading this right, now it will be Nico's job to figure out what they have been missing in the front office to get the job done expertly, and then to make it all work to produce a better roster.
[-] The following 5 users Like F Gump's post:
  • fifteenth, MFFL, Paul Gasol, Scott41theMavs, Smitty
Like Reply
(07-19-2021, 04:16 PM)F Gump Wrote: I think in time you'll see this take on what Nico said is a total misread on his job with the Mavs.

2 .... and by his actions and some of his words, that he has botched things by doing so.
3 So without trying to make a big deal of the import, Cuban has decided he needs to do things differently. Nico will be his GM. Like any other GM. He makes the hiring calls for who he wants as asst GM, analytics staff, coach, cap analysis, etc, they all answer to him (just like in about every other team except maybe the Kings). and he will weigh their input and decide.
4 Technically, Cuban still will sign off on things, but Nico is the focal point now, not Cuban. (It's looking more like the Rangers' model now, whereas it formerly was like the Cowboys.)

In this interview, Nico, like any good man with a big job, is calling what he does a team concept, and not the Nico Harrison Show. But that's him being modest with the job he's being given - admitting he doesn't know it all, praising the people who will be working for him, and describing them as fellow-contributors rather than his underlings. Their input will be valued. He meant to encourage them in advance. He's coming in from the outside, rather than any of them being promoted, and wants them to know that him having this role won't marginalize them being credited for their work.

But they are NOT equals in the input, all trying to persuade Cuban, not anymore. It's going to be Nico's job to figure things out. And this is a major step forward, all by itself, in the Mavs' organization. If I'm reading this right, now it will be Nico's job to figure out what they have been missing in the front office to get the job done expertly, and then to make it all work to produce a better roster.

This viewpoint is even more optimistic than Kam's from a future outlook standpoint.  I hope it's true, but my more cynical outlook is that Cuban still has his hand way too much in the cookie jar, that these hires are basically an extension of his continued "plan powder" strategy and their primary purpose is to do a better job than prior regime in recruiting the "big fish" to Dallas.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(07-19-2021, 04:16 PM)F Gump Wrote: I think in time you'll see this take on what Nico said is a total misread on his job with the Mavs.

Like mvossman said, this viewpoint is extremely optimistic. If true, it means Cuban has taken a complete 180 in his approach to roster construction. He's largely been the main decision maker since he bought the team for better and worse.  

I'll just say I'll believe it when I see it. Cuban is a fanatic fan that has the means to live out his fandom. I still think Cuban wants to be involved in making decisions but who knows, maybe a decade run of failures sobered the guy up.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply

Well that´s the big elephant in the room, isn´t it.

Harrison absolutely loves
Like Reply