Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
NEWS: RC out | Kidd hired as head coach & assembling staff
Kidd has friends in high places. 

https://twitter.com/kingjames/status/140...55584?s=21

4-year deal. 

https://twitter.com/chrisbhaynes/status/...43040?s=21
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 02:18 PM)Tyler Wrote: Kidd has friends in high places. 

Low ones, too, judging from the tweet you posted.
Like Reply
Jet will be our defensive coach.
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 02:18 PM)Tyler Wrote: Kidd has friends in high places. 

The high profile player love continues for Kidd. I don't get it, but maybe I don't have to.

I'm very curious to see Dan's take on this and it's implication for future free agents.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 02:24 PM)cow Wrote: Jet will be our defensive coach.

POTD...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
Luka is ready for a title run, now we just need the players

Mark is gambling on two highly viewed guys around the league to bring the talent to Dallas

I like the move, im glad it didnt take a long time and i think its the right strategy. 

Lastly, it only takes landing one big star for a chain reaction to happen. Lets say they somehow landed Dame in a trade, now all of a sudden you got guys like Beal looking at Dallas with Dame and Luka in 2022.

Will it happen? Who knows, given our track record of "plan power" this is going to back fire

But when you got a generational talent like Luka you got to take the risk or risk losing him. I think if they pull in the talent then Kidd will be fine.

I like the move, its a little bit of a gamble but hopefully it pays off.
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 02:24 PM)cow Wrote: Jet will be our defensive coach.

Makes sense. He was ahead of his time. Already played 2021 defense in 2011. Tongue
Like Reply
Please, Lord, let us get good and great players to Dallas, who will play the right way, not be divas, and develop a good team/organizational chemistry and win a championship.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 04:28 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: Please, Lord, let us get good and great players to Dallas, who will play the right way, not be divas, and develop a good team/organizational chemistry and win a championship.

THT and Holmes are coming friend, don't fret.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 12:43 PM)fifteenth Wrote: What are the odds of a Luka vs Rick finals in the next 5 years?

@"Hogmelon"?

http://gph.is/2qnQcFF
Like Reply
Take your time, pal
Like Reply
Sorry if someone else already posted it and I missed it, but SAS says that Luka signed off on the Kidd hiring. 

I'm on the "good thing" side after hearing that.
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 04:28 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: Please, Lord, let us get good and great players to Dallas, who will play the right way, not be divas, and develop a good team/organizational chemistry and win a championship.

I'll also take divas who play the wrong way and have bad chemistry and win Championships
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 07:35 PM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: I'll also take divas who play the wrong way and have bad chemistry and win Championships

Like perhaps some of the Clippers, if they win out - namely, Reggie Jackson.
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 07:37 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Like perhaps some of the Clippers, if they win out - namely, Reggie Jackson.

Just a collection of fun loving likable guys like Patrick Beverly, Reggie Jackson, Paul George and Marcus Morris.    No divas there ... well, except that time Paul George sat out a game from too much caffeine.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/Mavs_FFL/status/1408821627006205961
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
New pod from Dameris and Followill, on Kidd and Harrison hires. 

Highlights --

Rick's endorsement of Kidd on way out

Extremely inappropriate. Shocking and disappointing on a very high level. Typical of the kind of thing that irritated people about Rick -- saying things that were offensive, tone-deaf and inappropriate, when he could have just kept his mouth shut. 

The conspiracy theories are "poppycock." He was also not just making an inept attempt to do JK a solid -- he knew better and knew exactly what he was doing. He didn't already know Kidd was being hired -- he has been out of the loop for a while. Just let his frustrations get the better of him.

Kidd -- Pros and Cons

At first, it looked like Mosley was the likely choice, but Kidd emerged due to some very strong internal backing. Dirk, Casey Smith, and Finley in particular. Those three think he will be the best coach for Luka.  

Kidd is far from the perfect candidate, but everyone available had a set of strengths and weaknesses. Kidd wanted to come back to the Mavs after his Milwaukee stint, but Rick blocked it. Did not want Kidd as one of his assistants. 

In Kidd's previous head coaching stints, his teams underperformed relative to expectations, with the exception of his first year in Milwaukee, but that wasn't all his fault -- there were other factors involved, including injuries and rapidly declining veterans. There was also some off-court drama in both stops, deriving from Kidd's desire for more control, and that generated some controversy regarding him. 

On court, he developed a unique defensive scheme in Milwaukee. It worked well in the first year, but  after it stopped working, he continued to adhere to it for too long. His offensive schemes were also not based on modern NBA principles, although they moved toward that standard as time went by. His teams didn't take many threes and played at a slow pace, for example. The NBA game was moving on, and he was slow to adjust. He may well have learned a lot in that respect, working at the Lakers. 

One of Kidd's strengths is his relationship with players, and he has worked with some stars. He had a reputation as a player for being combative with coaches, and he thinks that has given him an ability to relate to players who are like that. He believes he understands now what he did and didn't know as a player, and uses that to help guys in a similar situation. 

They think Kidd realizes that this is probably his last best chance as a HC in the league, and believe that he should be very motivated to make things work. 

Mosley

This has been very disappointing for Jamahl. If he doesn't get a head coaching job, will he stay, or move on to a place where he thinks he could eventually move up? Unknown at this time. 

Luka

A "well-placed Mavericks source" assures them that Luka likes the Kidd hire. 

Assistants

Barea and Jet are possibilities. Neither is a done deal (as of Friday at noon). Barea is the more likely of the two, although it's not necessarily a case of one versus the other. Barea has wanted to come back and coach here for a while now. Jet's situation is more unknown at this point. Kidd's former assistants would also be regarded as potential candidates.  

POBO

The podcasters also discussed Nico Harrison. Brian has known him for almost twenty years, and had nothing but great things to say. They think he can be very helpful at shoring up what has been the Mavs' greatest weakness in the front office -- free agency. To the extent that there is a learning curve specific to the NBA/Mavs, Finley and Keith Grant should be able to fill in. 

Although the Kidd and Harrison hires appear to be simultaneous, Kidd was not foisted on Harrison. Harrison would not have agreed to the move if he hadn't been okay with Kidd coming. 

They don't think Finley feels slighted or passed over. He is expected to continue in his present responsibilities. Brian suspects that the original idea to hire Nico came from Fin, although said that is not sourced. 

Overview

The podcasters deny that they are trying to pump sunshine as Mavs guys. They are trying to give an honest, balanced point of view. They are not presenting either Kidd or Harrison as perfect, and acknowledge that they both come with risks, as anyone does. Having said that, they are highly optimistic with respect to Harrison. They also see reasons for optimism with respect to Kidd, despite some of his previous stumbles, and think he will bring something to the table.  

https://www.patreon.com/mavspod/posts
Like Reply
(06-26-2021, 11:55 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Rick's endorsement of Kidd on way out

Extremely inappropriate. Shocking and disappointing on a very high level. Typical of the kind of thing that irritated people about Rick -- saying things that were offensive, tone-deaf and inappropriate, when he could have just kept his mouth shut. 

The conspiracy theories are "poppycock." He was also not just making an inept attempt to do JK a solid -- he knew better and knew exactly what he was doing. He didn't already know Kidd was being hired -- he has been out of the loop for a while. Just let his frustrations get the better of him.

My initial reaction was that this interpretation of Carlisle's comments is crazy hyperbolic and is pretty surprising coming not from a random clickbait blogger but from two guys who actually know Rick personally. Was it inappropriate for him to publicly recommend Kidd for his old job? Perhaps. But offensive and tone-deaf? I just don't see it.

But I also just listened to Dameris expand on that in a Hardline interview, and now it makes more sense. Not only did he say that Carlisle vetoed Kidd returning as an assistant coach because he felt threatened, but he also suggested that Carlisle was insecure about how Mosley had a better relationship with Luka than he did. And he even implied that Carlisle's Kidd recommendation was his way to throw Mosley under the bus out of spite. Yikes. Honestly I didn't get that from his comments, but if that's true it really is pretty sorry.

In any case, I'm weirdly relieved to see a lot of the backroom drama showing its true colors kicking and screaming as it's finally shown the door and exposed to the sunlight. There clearly was a lot of destructive behavior going on among the guys charged to be the team leaders, and it's nice to see those demons exercised.

It's a new day in Mavs land. Onward and upward.
Like Reply
More support of the Carlisle/Mosley rift from Tim MacMahon:

"Let me be delicate in my wording here. I think Rick understood the perception of how that might impact who he didn't endorse. ... Screw it, I'm going to stop being delicate. I think it got to a point where Rick perceived Jamahl Mosley's close relationship with Luka Doncic as a threat to him. I don't think those guys will necessarily send each other Christmas cards."

Skip to 31:30 here: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/bo...0526818803
Like Reply
These “reporters” sound like teenage gossips. MacMahon “thinks” Rick felt threatened? What an odd conjecture to share. 

I get that it could be true. But I don’t trust that these guys know what they’re talking about.
Like Reply