Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2020-2021 ROSTER TALK: Archived
https://twitter.com/thehoopcentral/statu...28001?s=21
Like Reply
(06-06-2021, 02:11 PM)JamesConway Wrote: https://twitter.com/thehoopcentral/statu...28001?s=21

There is definitely a 1/29 chance.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/massey_evan/status/1...4258563072

Solid indeed

[Image: Brick_wall_old.jpg]
Like Reply
(06-06-2021, 02:24 PM)loki Wrote: https://twitter.com/massey_evan/status/1...4258563072

Solid indeed

[Image: Brick_wall_old.jpg]

Make it happen Donnie
Like Reply
Maxi and Powell for Smart
Like Reply
(06-06-2021, 02:40 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Maxi and Powell for Smart

Boston likely needs to save money. So the possible deal is imho either taking Thompson or Kemba with Smart or it is Brunson for Smart straight up.
Like Reply
100 points given up through 3 in game 7. We need perimeter defenders
Like Reply
(06-06-2021, 03:53 PM)omahen Wrote: Boston likely needs to save money. So the possible deal is imho either taking Thompson or Kemba with Smart or it is Brunson for Smart straight up.

So we give them a great asset for Smart who had a terrible year and taking 2 of the worst contracts in the league? No thank you.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-06-2021, 05:41 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: So we give them a great asset for Smart who had a terrible year and taking 2 of the worst contracts in the league? No thank you.

I didn't say that...
Like Reply
(06-06-2021, 05:42 PM)omahen Wrote: I didn't say that...

He was responding to what you wrote, which was.... that.
Like Reply
(06-06-2021, 03:53 PM)omahen Wrote: Boston likely needs to save money. So the possible deal is imho either taking Thompson or Kemba with Smart or it is Brunson for Smart straight up.

Agreed.  Brunson makes a great deal of sense there and you are spot on regarding the financials.  I’d like to figure something that also allows us to get Grant Williams (Duffy) or Nesmith (Excel).  Maybe we send them Willie or Maxi?  

Happy Walters is the Smart agent.  Used to be with Schwartz.  We’ve had lots of dealings with him in the past.  Smart is extension eligible.
Like Reply
(06-06-2021, 05:46 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: He was responding to what you wrote, which was.... that.

Can you read? I clearly said the trade would have to be something like take Thompson OR Kemba OR trade Brunson for Smart. Not all of it together.
Like Reply
(06-06-2021, 05:51 PM)omahen Wrote: Can you read? I clearly said the trade would have to be something like take Thompson OR Kemba OR trade Brunson for Smart. Not all of it together.

I misread his post, not yours, but I would absolutely agree with him if the "ands" in his post were replaced with "ors."

Sorry, I'm just salty that my team just ended up on the wrong side of history.
Like Reply
(06-06-2021, 05:54 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Sorry, I'm just salty that my team just ended up on the wrong side of history.

No worries, me too.
Like Reply
I need to go back and watch Kemba Walker tape from this year.  Yikes that's depressing.
Like Reply
(06-06-2021, 06:05 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: I need to go back and watch Kemba Walker tape from this year.  Yikes that's depressing.

BE PREPARED
Like Reply
So the season is over and it is obvious a retool of the team is needed. However, that is easier said than done for multiple reasons. 

1. Running it back makes little sense. A MLE level guy is not enough to transfer this team into a contender. 
2. 34 mil of cap space by renouncing THJ, JRich, WCS, Redick, Melli and Bobi is not enough to really build a better team using just cap space, since top free agents resigned with their teams long ago. If we could add an elderly statesmen like Lowry and keep team as it is it would be great, but there is not enough cap space.
3. Mavs have quite successfully tanked values of everyone not named Luka other than perhaps DFS (realistically 5th starter on a contender) and THJ (realistically 6th man). Playoff Brunson showed he is hardly more than back-up PG at this stage, trade value of rookies is close to zero, Maxi had a horrible offseason, JRich had a bad season, Powell is way overpaid and Burke is a vet min guy. And then of course there is the KP situation.

There are so many things this team needs, basically players who can shoot, defend and put the ball on the floor. Players who can pull the wagon on Luka off or rest nights. 

There are a gazillion ways to improve the team, but MBT will really have to be creative to improve the team in the short term. Or perhaps we will just need to be more patient. Add FA with most upside (probably Collins) and build the supporting cast over next two seasons.
Like Reply
(06-06-2021, 06:25 PM)omahen Wrote: S
3. Mavs have quite successfully tanked values of everyone not named Luka other than perhaps DFS (realistically 5th starter on a contender) and THJ (realistically 6th man). Playoff Brunson showed he is hardly more than back-up PG at this stage, trade value of rookies is close to zero, Maxi had a horrible offseason, JRich had a bad season, Powell is way overpaid and Burke is a vet min guy. And then of course there is the KP situation.

That is really depressing but also true.   It is one of my two biggest disappointments. We really need to ask some uncomfortable questions why our assets are mostly distressed three years of the Luka era.   Not only do we know we need to update our starting talent, but the guys they have invested in the past two years have also really regressed in the past series.

The other for me is we are two years into the KP era and I feel like there was no progress this year.  Nothing was built of last year of finding areas on the court where he is comfortable and then building secondary moves off that.    I felt like we haven't even tried mostly as thinking of him as our second best player.   If he is a fit here for a year, 5 years or 10  years, you would think you would put in the best situation and not limit him to 7 shots in a playoff game.    Are you telling me no one else can get a really good player out of him?   Injuries and personality may always be a problem, but they are setting themselves up to fail if that is how they use him.  

Both of the above really disappoints me.
Like Reply
(06-06-2021, 06:08 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: BE PREPARED

https://media.giphy.com/media/5bbvjqtn7T.../giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
Brad Townsend Said Cuban said Carlisle is not going anywhere.  

Luka was asked what improvements the mavs need to make.  He said that isa  question you should ask the guys who make the decisions right?  and they are just the players.  

Someone should tell Luka that may not be the best strategy.
Like Reply