Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mavs 127, Clippers 121
(05-27-2021, 01:30 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Thanks for the comment. Not quite sure just what you are saying. 

A.  If Carlisle thinks Luka's trash talk is risking retaliation, he will rein Luka in. 

B.  If the Clips start making dirty plays on Luka, Carlisle will convince the refs to put a stop to it. 

C. Something else.

I'm saying that Rick Carlisle is much more capable of performing the relevant risk/reward analysis than anyone around here.  If Carlisle determines that the risks of trash talk, etc., outweigh the rewards, then he will advise Luka, "Cut the crap, Kid, and stick to this  and this  and this" (or, more likely, Carlisle would caution Luka about what potential pitfalls to avoid, without forbidding trash talk altogether).

I expect the Clippers to "retaliate" (in some "dirty" way) tomorrow.  I expect Carlisle to have his team well prepared for that contingency.
Like Reply
(05-27-2021, 12:41 PM)omahen Wrote: I don't think so. They acted like punks last year with all "dame time" teasing and all roughness against Mavs. And look at them again this year - Kawhi dunks on Kleber and half a team is flexing there like they actually contributed in any way. KP slips on PG crossover and again a bunch of bench scrubbs is making fun of him. No one likes that and certainly no one objects when Luka is giving them a taste of their own medicine.

Nobody is saying that the Clippers' roster doesn't include a bunch of "punks" who deserve "a taste of their own medicine."

There are, however, some people who say that "two wrongs don't make a right," and there are still other folks  who say, "I don't give a damn about the moral/ethical issues, or who is right and who is wrong and who "deserves" what, or any of that jazz.  None of that really amounts to a hill of beans in the grand scheme of things.  I just want the Mavs to concentrate on doing whatever is necessary to maximize the likelihood that the Mavs will outscore the Clippers in two more games in the current series, while also staying healthy enough to win three more series."

(05-27-2021, 01:13 PM)omahen Wrote: I think extracurricular bullshit is actually helping them with fundamental aspects of the game. In any case, it is 99 % just Luka and it is clearly driving him to play excellent.

1.  I am not blind to the possibility that "extracurricular bullshit is actually helping [the Mavs] with fundamental aspects of the game."

2.  Dorian Finney-Smith wants to know where you came up with that "99%" figure.

3.  It is not "clear" to my feeble mind how much of Luka's excellent play is attributable to all the trash talk, etc., and how much is the result of other factors.
Like Reply
(05-27-2021, 12:11 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Luka has been acting like a major-league jerk with respect to the Clippers, in a way that we all love to watch. I adore seeing him talking smack to the likes of Pat Bev and Paul George. 

However, there is an argument to be made that he is baiting the Clips into retaliating physically. And that if it happens, the response will not be outrage, but a feeling that he asked for it. 

I'm actually sort of hoping that the refs call the game tightly, so as to forestall that kind of antics, and that Luka maybe dials it back a tad, given that the Clips are now a bunch of cornered animals.

If a player's response to trash talk is to hurt the trash talker physically, its not the fault of the trash talker. In fact it solidifies that the attacker is mentally weak and a wussy (I have many other adjectives but I'm keeping it PG).

Can't take the talk so they try to be dirty? I think should the Clips respond in that way it'll only embolden Luka. It'd show that he's in their head so much they respond like a toddler. Larry Bird was the exact same way. Same with MJ. Teams said never reply to Jordan you'll only help him. 

Of course I want nothing to happen to Luka, but having Morris/Rondo/Bev get ejected for that wouldn't be a bad thing.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(05-27-2021, 01:57 PM)Hogmelon Wrote: I'm saying that Rick Carlisle is much more capable of performing the relevant risk/reward analysis than anyone around here.  If Carlisle determines that the risks of trash talk, etc., outweigh the rewards, then he will advise Luka, "Cut the crap, Kid, and stick to this  and this  and this" (or, more likely, Carlisle would caution Luka about what potential pitfalls to avoid, without forbidding trash talk altogether).

I expect the Clippers to "retaliate" (in some "dirty" way) tomorrow.  I expect Carlisle to have his team well prepared for that contingency.
Thanks for the clarification. 

Sounds like the answer is A., + an enforcer. Am I reading you right?

If there is to be an enforcer, I hope Rick tells KP not to take that role on, as he got ejected for doing so last year. Maybe Melli would be a suitable candidate.
Like Reply
(05-27-2021, 02:17 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: If a player's response to trash talk is to hurt the trash talker physically, its not the fault of the trash talker. In fact it solidifies that the attacker is mentally weak and a wussy (I have many other adjectives but I'm keeping it PG).

Can't take the talk so they try to be dirty? I think should the Clips respond in that way it'll only embolden Luka. It'd show that he's in their head so much they respond like a toddler. Larry Bird was the exact same way. Same with MJ. Teams said never reply to Jordan you'll only help him. 

Of course I want nothing to happen to Luka, but having Morris/Rondo/Bev get ejected for that wouldn't be a bad thing.

Nobody is saying that Luka is at fault. 

If a Clipper gets ejected for beating up on Luka, great. Unfortunately, I think it is equally as likely that the Clips get away with it, short of doing something with devastating consequences, and maybe even then. 

If it looks like the Mavs are on the road to losing the game, then maybe you dial up the trash talk. If not, taunting the opponent is risking retaliation with no clear benefit to offset the risk. Luka has been pushing the edge of the envelope, much to Mavs fans' delight, including me. But there comes a time when the risk overwhelms the reward. 

It doesn't help that Luka is emboldened if he has a broken leg. 

Having said all that, I acknowledge that there is a basis for your point of view. We may just see the risk-reward assessment a little differently.
Like Reply
(05-27-2021, 02:17 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Thanks for the clarification. 

You're welcome.

Sounds like the answer is A., + an enforcer. Am I reading you right?

I hope so!!!      Wink

If there is to be an enforcer, I hope Rick tells KP not to take that role on, as he got ejected for doing so last year. Maybe Melli would be a suitable candidate.

1.  KP was an idiot in Game One last year.  KP needs to be reminded before every game, "KP, don't be an idiot."

2.  Melli might not make a great enforcer.

3.  The Mavs really don't have a great enforcer.

4.  Josh Richardson will probably be the first Mav to step up, if the shit really hits the fan.

5.  I wish the gentle giant (Boban) could be stronger, more aggressive, more assertive, and more physical when the situation calls for that type of presence.

7.  There is no #6.
Like Reply
^#5

Boban looked less that cheerful Boban the last few times he played. If we got that guy, it would be scary for anyone on the Clippers!
Like Reply
(05-27-2021, 02:40 PM)Hogmelon Wrote: 5.  I wish the gentle giant (Boban) could be stronger, more aggressive, more assertive, and more physical when the situation calls for that type of presence.

The gentle giant as enforcer could be effective. He could just give the offending Clipper a big, loving, bear hug, with a smile on his face. Might even throw in a loving kiss on the cheek!
Like Reply
(05-27-2021, 02:40 PM)Hogmelon Wrote: If there is to be an enforcer, I hope Rick tells KP not to take that role on, as he got ejected for doing so last year. Maybe Melli would be a suitable candidate.

1.  KP was an idiot in Game One last year.  KP needs to be reminded before every game, "KP, don't be an idiot."

hahaha

2.  Melli might not make a great enforcer.

He might not. Ideally, it should be someone who is (a) big, and (b) not in the rotation.  

3.  The Mavs really don't have a great enforcer.

4.  Josh Richardson will probably be the first Mav to step up, if the shit really hits the fan.

5.  I wish the gentle giant (Boban) could be stronger, more aggressive, more assertive, and more physical when the situation calls for that type of presence.

I just don't think Boban has that in him, lol. 

7.  There is no #6.

hahahaha, I see what u did there. 
Like Reply
(05-27-2021, 03:08 PM)fifteenth Wrote: The gentle giant as enforcer could be effective. He could just give the offending Clipper a big, loving, bear hug, with a small on his face. Might even throw in a loving kiss on the cheek!
Ah, yes, the old small on his face. 

I can picture it now. Marjanovic pulling down a Clipper guard, who lies on Boban's head while Bobi is  python-hugging him. 

Big Grin
Like Reply
(05-27-2021, 04:20 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Ah, yes, the old small on his face. 

My typos are a little out of control these days
Like Reply
(05-27-2021, 05:03 PM)fifteenth Wrote: My typos are a little out of control these days

Know they r knot...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(05-27-2021, 05:03 PM)fifteenth Wrote: My typos are a little out of control these days

just kidding around

You should insult me in the public square. I deserve it.   

Blush
Like Reply
(05-27-2021, 05:09 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: just kidding around

You should insult me in the public square. I deserve it.   

Blush

What, like come on a broadcast and do it? Deal!!
Like Reply
I'm waiting patiently for JET to take over for Harper...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2021/5/26/...servations
Like Reply
(05-27-2021, 01:00 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Wish I had your faith in the system. 

Seems to me that the Clippers have built a reputation for being dirty players, and the league does nothing but reward them. 

Confused

Luka is already one of the main faces in the league,  and most likely the phase of it after Lebron,  at least the league knows there is a chance of it happening. 

There is no way they would do dirty to him (trying to injury him) and it goes unnoticed. 
You don't mess with the league ratings that Luka brings in such match up, and they would act blind, no way.
Like Reply
(05-27-2021, 02:48 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: ^#5

Boban looked less that cheerful Boban the last few times he played. If we got that guy, it would be scary for anyone on the Clippers!

Actually the idea of Boban as an enforcer is in theory an excellent one.  NBA teams used to actually send in guys now and then that were essentially designated GOONS. 
That's for real, but I think today that role has kind of evolved into one that's more subtle where real rotation players, like say a Morris Twin, still in fact deliberately foul, hold and harass key players while avoiding being seen as the instigator by a referee. 

The old Goons didn't try much to hide it, they just came in and threw a hard foul or two or three because they have the fouls to spare.  

With Boban this only works in theory I think because 

1) Boban doesn't seem to have that real DAWG in his nature.  Who knows though, maybe he could surprise if actually given the task. 

2) Carlisle doesn't seem to have that strategy and certainly doesn't have Boban in his rotations for playing purposes. 

It would be great to see Boban used like that because he plays limited minutes, is more often a + in the +/- and despite his PnR challenges can give more than he takes from his team.  That said, its not going to happen, but it would be a lot of fun to see Bobi really laying his body on some Clippers.   Big Grin
Like Reply
(05-27-2021, 06:54 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: There is no way they would do dirty to him (trying to injury him) and it goes unnoticed. 
I would reply at greater length, but I don't want to burst anyone's bubble. 

Keep on believin.'

Smile
Like Reply
(05-27-2021, 07:00 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: it would be a lot of fun to see Bobi really laying his body on some Clippers.  
I would give up a toenail to see that!
Like Reply