Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2020-2021 ROSTER TALK: Archived
(02-26-2021, 01:56 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Curry’s great 3 shooting is very overrated. He was not a clutch 3 shooter nor was he one to shoot 3’s unconsciously game after game. He regularly passed up on the shot if he wasn’t extremely wide open. Maybe that was a role he wasn’t being coached to do (RC?) but it was for sure the role he settled into.

Overrated like JRich's defensive impact?
Like Reply
(02-26-2021, 01:57 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I guess my confidence comment mainly referred to Wiseman potentially being better than KP in the longrun. I haven't seen that level outta him yet. 

He'll definitely never reach KP's versatility offensively. No question. 

To me, a center MUST be a defender. If you can have that defender ALSO do amazing things for you on offense, you're a contender, probably. Not only is KP not a good defender, I think he's one of the worst defensive starting centers in the league. Hence, I think Wiseman might be "better" right now, this second.
Like Reply
(02-26-2021, 02:07 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: He'll definitely never reach KP's versatility offensively. No question. 

To me, a center MUST be a defender. If you can have that defender ALSO do amazing things for you on offense, you're a contender, probably. Not only is KP not a good defender, I think he's one of the worst defensive starting centers in the league. Hence, I think Wiseman might be "better" right now, this second.

What versatility? Porzingis has no post game, mid range, cannot pass or create off the dribble. He can shoot reasonably well on facials and be a lot threat. Not sure why Wiseman can't reach that level.
Like Reply
(02-26-2021, 02:07 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Not only is KP not a good defender, I think he's one of the worst defensive starting centers in the league. Hence, I think Wiseman might be "better" right now, this second.

Not the worst defensive center, KP is the worst defender in the NBA, period. Check tweet below, he's worse than Bagley! 

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...9253377027
Like Reply
(02-26-2021, 02:12 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: What versatility? Porzingis has no post game, mid range, cannot pass or create off the dribble. He can shoot reasonably well on facials and be a lot threat. Not sure why Wiseman can't reach that level.

Well, I just mean he is comfortable getting shots off the catch from anywhere, using 1-2 dribbles for pull-ups from anywhere, shooting turnarounds from the high or low post, rolling to the rim (he has pretty good hands, actually), etc. I agree his post game bag isn't very full, and I'm not holding him up as some offensive superstar, to be sure. He seems almost completely unable to create shots for others, unless you count creating space through his mere presence. That's significant, of course, but it's still frustrating that he can't impose creation on the defense, especially given the contract and status on the team. 

My overall point is that at THAT position, for a GOOD team, defense MUST be part of your game. I'm done with KP for that reason, alone, without even having to care about any debate on his offensive skillset. Basically, any center who can be a plus defender consistently in the modern game is a better fit for this team than KP, imo.
Like Reply
(02-26-2021, 02:12 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Not the worst defensive center, KP is the worst defender in the NBA, period. Check tweet below, he's worse than Bagley! 

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...9253377027

Bagley seems like he's just an athlete that got by on that athleticism but that doesn't translate to the NBA since it's the elite of the elite.  I was really hoping he was the Mavs pick.  Never been as happy about being oh so wrong.

I'd still love to kick the tires on him as a reclamation project to see if you can kick the stench of the Knigs off of him.
Like Reply
(02-26-2021, 01:43 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Warriors fans are idiots and like Lakers fans they believe other teams should just give them their good players for trash. Wiggins for KP would not happen in a million years. I absolutely believe Warriors would be interested in a KP for Wiseman centered deal. Interested in like "definitely" would pull the trigger? Not sure bc Warriors have other trades they could make using Wiseman and/or the Minney pick they have. I just think that Warriors need a win-now player more than they need a rookie center.

I see just as many crazy trade proposals on this board. I don´t think their fan base is any better or worse than the Mavs. Just more of them and obviously a lot bandwagon fans. It really comes down to KPs health, level of play and contract. Depending on individual values I can understand why people view him as the next John Wall/Blake Griffin. Can also understand that others look at his bubble performance and think of him as guy that will make multiple allstar games in the future.
We really don´t know how bad his knee/back (or something totally different that wasn´t even mentioned) is. Can only hope that the Mavs make the right decision. Having the current version of KP for the next 3-4 years basically ends all dreams of a deep playoff run. Same is true for the reverse. Mavs trade him for a few role players or just salary dump him and KP gets back in shape and stays healthy for the rest of his career.
Like Reply
(02-26-2021, 02:18 PM)cow Wrote: I'd still love to kick the tires on him as a reclamation project to see if you can kick the stench of the Knigs off of him.

Made a big post about this (got torched) awhile back, but I'd ABSOLUTELY move KP for Haliburton, taking the Bagley contract back in the deal. I think there's a way to do it that could get Sacramento interested, and Haliburton would be worth it to me. If you can turn Bagley's career around, GREAT! But if not, fine. Just give me Haliburton.
Like Reply
(02-26-2021, 02:21 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: It really comes down to KPs health, level of play and contract. 

I kind of look at all of that a secondary.  I'm just not sold on the fit with he and Luka.  Some of KP's best moments with the Mavs have come as a solo act.  Maybe it's coaching or maybe they need more time together, but KP never really looks comfortable to me when he's on the floor with Luka.
Like Reply
Love Wiseman.  He looks like Tyson Chandler with range.  Or maybe a Chandler/Chris Bosh combo.  If they're having any second thoughts about KP, I'd pull the trigger on a Wiseman package without hesitation.

Would be surprised if GS is willing to do that unless it's a means to dump Wiggins.  The more I think about it, I still can't see them trading Wiseman.
Like Reply
(02-26-2021, 02:30 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Love Wiseman.  He looks like Tyson Chandler with range.  If they're having any second thoughts about KP, I'd pull the trigger on a Wiseman package.

would be surprised if GS is willing to do that unless it's a means to dump Wiggins

It would be interesting to see where Wiggins (Canada's own Michael Jordan) falls on the Carlisle love/hate spectrum.  

I still say there is a less than 1% chance that the MBT are ready to give up on the KP experiment.  Maybe the latest back injury is a tipping point though.

(02-26-2021, 02:23 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Made a big post about this (got torched) awhile back, but I'd ABSOLUTELY move KP for Haliburton, taking the Bagley contract back in the deal. I think there's a way to do it that could get Sacramento interested, and Haliburton would be worth it to me. If you can turn Bagley's career around, GREAT! But if not, fine. Just give me Haliburton.

I know the Mavs love Haliburton but I think the Kngs do as well.  They could get off of Bagley much easier than him.  I guess it depends if they see any potential in KP.
Like Reply
I dont have anything of major substance to add to the convo...

But I have been watching the GSW because I like Curry's dribbles(best in the league in my opinion...better than Irving's flashy style and Irving's ability to dribble in tight windows)...AND Nico Mannion.  Any KP trade with GSW...can we try and pry him away?

Anyway...the little substance...while watching GSW I have noticed Wiggins be very active on defense and disrupt/block shots on the regular.  I have probably watched 5-7 GSW games.

Thats all I got.

And...not saying that Wiggins is good/great/bad/awful.  Just that he was disruptive on defense in the games I watched.
Like Reply
I just dont see how you can trade KP right now. (unless there are some non-injury rumblings about him wanting out) His value has to be a negative with that contract.

Does any rebuilding team want him as the core piece?
Does any contender value him if he can't get on the court?
It'd have to be some desperate team.

Any KP trade right now would probably be like when he was traded to Dallas.  We'd all be going: that's all?
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/DwainPrice/status/13...3715020801
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(02-26-2021, 02:25 PM)cow Wrote: I kind of look at all of that a secondary.  I'm just not sold on the fit with he and Luka.  Some of KP's best moments with the Mavs have come as a solo act.  Maybe it's coaching or maybe they need more time together, but KP never really looks comfortable to me when he's on the floor with Luka.

Agree on the questionable fit but if he can stay healthy and average 25/10 the Mavs could always flip him for a big rebuilding package or another star player. Right now the problem is that the Mavs cannot even get back what they paid to get him.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1365383620676833283
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1365384854389465088
Like Reply
(02-26-2021, 02:32 PM)cow Wrote: I know the Mavs love Haliburton but I think the Kngs do as well.

Neither here nor there, but if you added the Mavs' love for him to the Kings' and then multiplied by 10, the result would still be about 1/4 of where I am with this kid.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1365383375587074048
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/DwainPrice/status/13...0656335884
Like Reply